• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was God's name removed from most bibles?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
There are many translations. One thing I have to say is that at least (thank GOD) the Hebrew letters are not "covered over." God himself did not permit that. But many who go to synagogue or church or any other religion may not KNOW THAT God's name is not the LORD.
I honestly can't imagine any Jewish adult in a synagogue not recognizing the name of God when it appears in the text of the prayer book or Torah.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I honestly can't imagine any Jewish adult in a synagogue not recognizing the name of God when it appears in the text of tInhe prayer book or Torah.
Maybe you should start asking those who go to synagogue. I have Jewish neighbors. Some are friendly. I can ask if they (1) can read Hebrew and if they would know the difference between LORD and YHWH in the text. :) Anyway, I'm reading in the book of Nehemiah, so can't stay on too long right now. I read it in English. I can read some Hebrew. How about you? Do you read Hebrew?
There are reform, conservative, and orthodox synagogues. I am sure there are many who claim to worship God, not just Jews who would not know the difference between LORD (all caps) and YHWH (the four Hebrew letters of God's unique name), and certainly there are those who pray and read the Bible in translation who would not know the difference.

YoursTrue

I honestly can't imagine any Jewish adult in a synagogue not recognizing the name of God when it appears in the text of the prayer book or Torah.
(I can. I know for sure there are those who would not recognize the divine name, but maybe you should try asking beyond an orthodox or conservative synagogue.)

IndigoChild5559

(I can. I know for sure there are those who would not recognize the divine name, but maybe you should try asking beyond an orthodox or conservative synagogue.)
I attended a Reform synagogue for 12 years. All those I knew there would recognize the yad hey and vav hey.

YoursTrue

I attended a Reform synagogue for 12 years. All those I knew there would recognize the yad hey and vav hey.
That's how you say the letters now, right?
I know for absolute sure many Jews would not recognize the tetragrammaton. Or any Hebrew letters. To cover over the Divine Name of God by refusing to say it is not a commandment. His name is derived in English from the recognizable way of linguistic pronunciation.

IndigoChild5559

Or any Hebrew letters. To cover over the Divine Name of God by refusing to say it is not a commandment. His name is derived in English from the recognizable way of linguistic pronunciation.
At this point you are simply repeating yourself, as if by doing so it proves your point. Sorry. It doesn't.

Let's move on.

YoursTrue

At this point you are simply repeating yourself, as if by doing so it proves your point. Sorry. It doesn't.

Let's move on.
The point is that to be afraid to say God's name out loud doesn't mean that is good in God's eyes. Thanks for reminder. I'll ask around...quite a few Jews in my area. I'll ask to see if they know when the name of God appears in the Hebrew text. :) plus I'll ask non-Jews who use the Bible in English if they know when it's covered over by the word LORD. Thanks. I happen to have a king James Bible which has the name JEHOVAH over 4 times, psalm 83:18 being one of them.

YoursTrue

The point is that to be afraid to say God's name out loud doesn't mean that is good in God's eyes. Thanks for reminder. I'll ask around...quite a few Jews in my area. I'll ask to see if they know when the name of God appears in the Hebrew text. :) plus I'll ask non-Jews who use the Bible in English if they know when it's covered over by the word LORD. Thanks. I happen to have a king James Bible which has the name JEHOVAH over 4 times, psalm 83:18 being one of them.
@IndigoChild5559 furthermore does being afraid to say God's name out loud release one from committing sacrilege? Is that what GOD requires? You do bring out such interesting points.

rosends

No matter how one puts it, it's still not a commandment to not say the divine name.
I'm not sure what you mean by "commandment." There are laws in Judaism about saying the name, regarding the context of use. There are also historical factors regarding not knowing the exact pronunciation. While we have the 4 letters, we (though I have heard that in certain Yemenite communities this may not be true) do not know the pronunciation. Is there value in guessing? Is there value in saying the name wrong?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's truly pathetic that many Christians ignore Jesus' Two Commandments by insisting that things like correct spelling and/or pronunciation of God is a trademark of being a "true Christian". Next, maybe they'll insist on correctly knowing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin is absolutely necessary for "salvation". :shrug:

YoursTrue

Furthermore, it would be reasonable if you love God you would know who He is. To say otherwise would be bordering on the nonsensical.

YoursTrue

I'm not sure what you mean by "commandment." There are laws in Judaism about saying the name, regarding the context of use. There are also historical factors regarding not knowing the exact pronunciation. While we have the 4 letters, we (though I have heard that in certain Yemenite communities this may not be true) do not know the pronunciation. Is there value in guessing? Is there value in saying the name wrong?

The commandment written by God's finger on the stone. Not to use God's name in vain. Does not mean do not use it. To cover it over by not saying it or substituting another word like Lord for the tetragrammaton or Yahweh or Jehovah in whatever language is being translated is a form of lying. Deception.

YoursTrue

I can. In fact, I know. But let's go a little further: what about those in churches who don't read Hebrew and do not understand that the tetragrammaton does not translate at all to Lord but rather is the Name of God, taken from the four Hebrew letters sometimes transliterated as Yahweh or Jehovah, depending on who's doing that portion of the scriptures?

YoursTrue

Here's what Jesus said about the two greatest commandments and loving God and your neighbor:

Matthew 22:
34 But, hearing that he had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees gathered together, 35 and one of them, a lawyer, put the question to him to test him, 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?” 37 And he said to him “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind,’ 38 this is the greatest commandment, the first. 39* A second like it is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hangs all the law and the prophets.”
Note: ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANGS ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.
So question --
Which God do you think Jesus was referring to? Any god?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's truly a shame that some Christians put excessive emphasis on God's holy name, which is not a mandate in the Gospels, and then ignore what Jesus said about his Two Commandments in that all the Law is in them. IOW, it's nothing more than a gimmick so as to differentiate themselves from "Christendom", the latter of which is a name they invented.
Christendom is a word that by the 14thc. was used by Mediaevals to designate their Christian world. It occurs in Old English.

rosends

The commandment written by God's finger on the stone. Not to use God's name in vain. Does not mean do not use it. To cover it over by not saying it or substituting another word like Lord for the tetragrammaton or Yahweh or Jehovah in whatever language is being translated is a form of lying. Deception.
This is your interpretation. Your statement that it "does not mean" something is as persuasive to me as my statement that "it does mean" would be to you. Your calling something lying or deception is likewise just your opinion and not really useful.