• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was God's name removed from most bibles?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Why do you think that translations do not tell us what the original language says literally and means.?
This is why people need to learn another language, and have experiences trying to translate from one to another. It's because sometimes words which exist in one language don't exist in the other; same with phrases and sayings.

Messianic Israelite

Christian translators have adopted the Jewish tradition of avoiding the casual use of God's divine name by substituting Lord. It is an issue of respect. And there is a practical matter as well. How do you represent God's name in English letters? We only know the consonants, not the vowels. We have no idea how to pronounce "YHWH." Jehovah is a very very bad guess, since we know for sure that the J sound does not exist in Hebrew.

Since all the Hebrew copies of the Tanakh do use the tetragrammaton, I would NOT say that anyone has "removed" the name of God.
Hi IndigoChild5559. Good evening. Well I've just seen this thread so I thought I'd contribute. As you may know, we use the Name Yahweh as you can imagine, being myself a member of the Assemblies of Yahweh. Whether you treat the Tetragrammaton as consonants or vowels, the pronunciation comes out the same as Yahweh. I can explain this later if you wish. The people in the Bible used the Name of the Almighty. As seekandfind explained, the Name appears approximately 7,000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. They didn't pronounce each letter individually Y-H-W-H, they said His Name Yahweh. It's a lie to say you have no idea how to pronounce Yahweh's Name. The Encyclopedia Judaica says: "The true pronunciation of the Name YHWH was never lost. Several early Greek writers of the Christian church testify that the name was pronounced ‘YAHWEH.’" Can you answer the question poised in Proverbs 30:4? Sadly, many Jews cannot because they refuse to use the Name of Yahweh and also His Son Yahshua.

Proverbs 30:4 says:
"2 Surely I am more brutish than any man, And have not the understanding of a man; 3 And I have not learned wisdom, Neither have I the knowledge of the Holy One. 4 Who has ascended up into heaven, and descended? Who has gathered the wind in his fists? Who has bound the waters in his garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and what is his son's name, if you know?" (The Sacred Scriptures Bethel Edition).

What does Yahshua command us to pray in Matthew 6:9? Does he ask us to substitute the Name? No, He asks that the Name be hallowed. We cannot hallow His Name if we do not use it. We must use the Name respectfully.

"9 After this manner therefore pray: Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be your name."

Ever read John 12? Yahshua says:

"28 Father, glorify your name. There came therefore a voice out of heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. 29 The multitude therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it had thundered: others said, An angel has spoken to him. 30 Yahshua answered and said, This voice has not come for my sake, but for your sakes."

Yahshua used the Name of Yahweh. His Name was used frequently in the Bible. The Jews removed it from usage. We in the Assemblies of Yahweh restore the Sacred Name to it's rightful place. It appears in the Hebrew texts. The first syllable of His Name appears in names like EliYah (meaning My Mighty One is Yahweh) and JeremiYah. Malachi prophesies that in the end times, EliYah would return, which means My Mighty One is Yahweh. That's the EliYah message. Substituting the Name is not something that is done by those who love Yahweh. We love Yahweh, that's why we use His glorious Name.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Hi IndigoChild5559. Good evening. Well I've just seen this thread so I thought I'd contribute. As you may know, we use the Name Yahweh as you can imagine, being myself a member of the Assemblies of Yahweh. Whether you treat the Tetragrammaton as consonants or vowels, the pronunciation comes out the same as Yahweh. I can explain this later if you wish. The people in the Bible used the Name of the Almighty. As seekandfind explained, the Name appears approximately 7,000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. They didn't pronounce each letter individually Y-H-W-H, they said His Name Yahweh. It's a lie to say you have no idea how to pronounce Yahweh's Name. The Encyclopedia Judaica says: "The true pronunciation of the Name YHWH was never lost. Several early Greek writers of the Christian church testify that the name was pronounced ‘YAHWEH.’" Can you answer the question poised in Proverbs 30:4? Sadly, many Jews cannot because they refuse to use the Name of Yahweh and also His Son Yahshua.
The idea of pronouncing the tetragrammaton as Yahweh is only a GUESS. We certainly do NOT know that this is the correct pronunciation. I think that taking the chance that we are mispronouncing is saying we don't care if we disrespect God by mispronouncing his divine name.

Proverbs 30:4 says:
"2 Surely I am more brutish than any man, And have not the understanding of a man; 3 And I have not learned wisdom, Neither have I the knowledge of the Holy One. 4 Who has ascended up into heaven, and descended? Who has gathered the wind in his fists? Who has bound the waters in his garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and what is his son's name, if you know? (The Sacred Scriptures Bethel Edition).

What does Yahshua command us to pray in Matthew 6:9? Does he ask us to substitute the Name? No, He asks that the Name be hallowed. We cannot hallow His Name if we do not use it. We must use the Name respectfully.

"9 After this manner therefore pray: Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be your name."

Ever read John 12? Yahshua says:

"28 Father, glorify your name. There came therefore a voice out of heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. 29 The multitude therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it had thundered: others said, An angel has spoken to him. 30 Yahshua answered and said, This voice has not come for my sake, but for your sakes."

Yahshua used the Name of Yahweh. His Name was used frequently in the Bible. The Jews removed it from usage. We in the Assemblies of Yahweh restore the Sacred Name to it's rightful place. It appears in the Hebrew texts. The first syllable of His Name appears in names like EliYah (meaning My Mighty One is Yahweh) and JeremiYah. Malachi prophesies that in the end times, EliYah would return, which means My Mighty One is Yahweh. That's the EliYah message. Substituting the Name is not something that is done by those who love Yahweh. We love Yahweh, that's why we use His glorious Name.
Sorry, but I do not accept the NT as an authoritative source. I am not interested in Yeshua, who was just a nice Jewish man who tried to be the messiah and failed.

It is Israel that is God's first born son. Exodus 4:22 "Then say to Pharaoh, ‘This is what the LORD says: Israel is my firstborn son"

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
A very important subject, isn’t it?

More evidence that 1John 5:19…
“….the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one”….
is telling the truth, IMO.
Jesus verified it, referring to the Devil as the ruler of this world. John 12:31

Much of what the Bible really teaches, has been either twisted, misapplied, or just ignored.

Does that mean that being a Christian is not important, as long as I know the name Jehovah and call on Him and pray to Him?

Romans 10:8............“The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

In the above passage it does say "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" but it says that in the middle of a passage about spreading the gospel about Jesus and calling on the name of Jesus. Do you think it might be actually telling us that Jesus is the name we are to call on, that Jesus is YHWH? It certainly looks that way.
Why would you even think i think that means being a Christian is not important?

Jesus is definitely part of it. Its only through his innocent blood we are bought. But is it saying Jesus is Yhwh? No. Jesus himself said hes Gods Son. Jesus always gave credit to his Father.

The message about Jesus was initially intended for the Jews. The Jews already knew Jehovah but needed to learn about Jesus. Christians had to learn about both Jehovah and Jesus. They should have picked that up in the gospels if they hadnt read the OT as Jesus clearly made the distinction known-i.e. "not my words", "not my will", etc

This is why people need to learn another language, and have experiences trying to translate from one to another. It's because sometimes words which exist in one language don't exist in the other; same with phrases and sayings.

How would you know if the translation you're reading is accurate, though? The most obvious, direct way to do that is to familiarize yourself with the original language so you can directly understand it without translation. Then you'll be able to know how accurate a translation is. Without that, you're flying blindly in the hope that the translation you read is

How would you know if the translation you're reading is accurate, though? The most obvious, direct way to do that is to familiarize yourself with the original language so you can directly understand it without translation. Then you'll be able to know how accurate a translation is. Without that, you're flying blindly in the hope that the translation you read is correct.
Because there are many translations you can know if its accurate. They agree with the others or the dont. While verbatium might very, the main message will remain.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Many bible translations with a preface will admit that it has been replaced. How many times? Come to find out God's name has been removed over 7,000 times per bible!

There is a proper name for God in Hebrew which is "Yhwh." There is a word in Hebrew which means "lord" and it is "Adonay"-or a similar form of the root word.

Why is it important to know God's name?

Joel 2:32 "And everyone who calls on the name of "YHWH" will be saved..."- This verse is also referenced in the Greek scriptures(New Testament) at Acts 2:21 and Romans 10:13.

According to the verses it is of utmost importance to use His name. Many bibles have a rendering of it in Psalm 83:18 "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."-King James version

Knowing this helps clarify the Greek scripture in Acts 2:34 "For David did not ascend to the heavens, but he himself says, ‘The LORD said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand..." which is a quote from the Hebrew scriptures(Old Testament) at Psalm 110:1 "YHWH said to my adonai, 'Sit at my right hand...'"

Ultimately who in the universe would try to hide such a basic bible truth? Since we need to know His name to be saved simply hiding it would be a tactic of Satan. Remember his 1st lie in Genesis? "Certainly you won't die." What a trickster!
The Bible is a human made invention. Of course it changes as well as redacted , with stuff added in and stuff taken out all the time.

IndigoChild5559

Because there are many translations you can know if its accurate. They agree with the others or the dont. While verbatium might very, the main message will remain.
No sir. You can only achieve an approximation. There is no way to fully understand any text unless you can read it in its original language. An approximation will always be inferior.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
It has never been Christian practice to address God with the Tetragrammaton.

I do not need to address God with the Tetragrammaton to know the Lord's identity as God. Also, God's name isn't Jehovah which is a rendering based on a mistranslation.

There's no conspiracy, it's an issue of tradition. As a Christain I believe I'm saved though the salvific power of Christ and not though the use of a particular name.
Perhaps you realize that the name Jesus is taken from a Latinized rendering of the name, but the original Hebrew pronunciation has been lost, so a rendering of a pronunciation in a language that people recognition has meaning. Just as John, and Daniel, and other names are understood by the reader.

YoursTrue

The Bible is a human made invention. Of course it changes as well as redacted , with stuff added in and stuff taken out all the time.
You obviously believe that. You wrote your post, and I wrote mine. Nobody else wrote yours and nobody else wrote mine. I no longer agree with the idea you present. The scrolls and writings have been not only carefully preserved as much as humanly possible, but as far as I am concerned (because I don't like to speak for other people such as yourself), by the hand of God.

YoursTrue

No sir. You can only achieve an approximation. There is no way to fully understand any text unless you can read it in its original language. An approximation will always be inferior.
We all need instructors. There is no one alive who can read and understand the Bible (or the Tanakh) without help. No one. Not even the learned teachers. We all need help. If you think otherwise, please say so. Thank you. Then let us know if you have a fluent understanding of Hebrew , Aramaic and Greek. After that, perhaps you can say what languages for certain many of the books of the Tanakh were written in and which are around today as a certainty in the original language written? Thank you.

IndigoChild5559

We all need instructors. There is no one alive who can read and understand the Bible (or the Tanakh) without help. No one. Not even the learned teachers. We all need help. If you think otherwise, please say so. Thank you. Then let us know if you have a fluent understanding of Hebrew , Aramaic and Greek. After that, perhaps you can say what languages for certain many of the books of the Tanakh were written in and which are around today as a certainty in the original language written? Thank you.
Yes I agree that we are dependent upon scholars. In particular, the Oral Torah is necessary to interpret the written Torah.

My hebrew is crappy. I only know enough to follow along in the prayer book. It was better when I was younger -- I remember being able to read and understand the beginning of Genesis and how much that meant to me. But you know, if you don't use it, you lose it.

YoursTrue

Yes I agree that we are dependent upon scholars. In particular, the Oral Torah is necessary to interpret the written Torah.

My hebrew is crappy. I only know enough to follow along in the prayer book. It was better when I was younger -- I remember being able to read and understand the beginning of Genesis and how much that meant to me. But you know, if you don't use it, you lose it.
One day I went to the library in NYC where there are many books in various centers. And I looked into the Talmud. It was in English because that is the language I am fluent in. It was interesting but detailed and had discussions that were not a big interest to me, that's about as much as I can put it. I didn't really read much, although I did also look into the Jewish Encyclopedia to make sure of certain things. I went back to studying and reading the Bible, which I'm still doing. The more I read now, the more I learn. Shalom.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Yes I have heard it can be perplexing. We have someone in our Church who translated the Bible into languages in PNG. He speaks about it.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
A few reasons: 1) it can be difficult to translate some terms and phrases from one language to another, 2) many translations of the Bible exist, and they do not all agree with one another, 3) some styles of translation do not even try to produce word-for-word literal translation. Rather they attempt to recreate the meaning of a text in modern language.

Yes it is good to read a variety of translations and consult word meanings etc. One translation is probably never good enough for a full meaning and understanding.
Some ancient cultural knowledge etc is good too.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Why would you even think i think that means being a Christian is not important?

Is it more important to be a Christian or to know and call on the name of God?

Jesus is definitely part of it. Its only through his innocent blood we are bought. But is it saying Jesus is Yhwh? No. Jesus himself said hes Gods Son. Jesus always gave credit to his Father.

Nevertheless Romans 10 does look like the OT quote about calling on the name of YHWH is being applied to Jesus, just as many other OT passages about YHWH are applied to Jesus in the NT.

The message about Jesus was initially intended for the Jews. The Jews already knew Jehovah but needed to learn about Jesus. Christians had to learn about both Jehovah and Jesus. They should have picked that up in the gospels if they hadnt read the OT as Jesus clearly made the distinction known-i.e. "not my words", "not my will", etc

That the Father and the Son are distinct individuals is true and that the Son was sent to be a man, the servant of His Father, is true, and that it was the Father who gave Jesus the words and power to do miracles and whose will Jesus followed. Certainly as a man Jesus had the nature of His Father (Heb 1:2) and also the carnal nature that His humanity and body gave Him, but always followed His divine nature and the will of His Father.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
since we know for sure that the J sound does not exist in Hebrew.
Many linguists think that there used to be a J in Hebrew, except not instead of the letter Yod (י) but instead of the letter Gimel (ג). This is based on the preservation of the J sound in the pronunciations of a number of ancient African communities (such as the Yemenites and at least some of the Moroccans) and the appearance of the J in Arabic, which features many similarities with Hebrew and is spoken by a people who are known for preserving ancient traditions. So you're correct that J is not relevant in the name of God, because it doesn't have a Gimel. But a J may be relevant elsewhere.