• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the world hates America

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
[youtube]e-jf462h_Is[/youtube]
Why The World Hates America - Shaykh Anwar al Awlaki - YouTube

Do you think his reasons for the world resenting America, are correct?

Not too much disagreement with what he said here. I believe that as a nation we have a right to defend ourselves. If we are attacked (see: Pearl Harbor and The World Trade Centers) then we have a right to defend ourselves.....

I agree with him on the rest which is why as a Democrat I could never be a war mongering republican, independent or even a libertarian....:p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....I could never be a war mongering republican, independent or even a libertarian....:p
Oh, you wag! (I knew someone would return that volley.)
But I do appreciate that you seek to introduce some libertarian isolationism in your party.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Well for one he's not saying that the world hates America. He is saying why those who fight and resent the US do so.

I think it would be best for America if Americans were to listen to the words of those who fight us as to why they do so. I cringe every time I hear someone say "They hate us because of our freedoms."

When in actuality, as Bin Laden said in his 2007 video to the US, they fight against us because we come preaching freedom yet we deny freedom to those who seek it and establish oppression among those we claimed we were bringing freedom to.

Perhaps if Americans were more aware of what the US does with its tools of foreign policy, and the actual effects our actions had, more would call for an end to our activities.

gnomon

[youtube]e-jf462h_Is[/youtube]
Why The World Hates America - Shaykh Anwar al Awlaki - YouTube

Do you think his reasons for the world resenting America, are correct?

Overly simplistic garbage.

I thought he might be on track in discussing US support of certain regimes but he stated that the support went to the worst regimes. Which is laughable. And completely overlooks the actual nature of what went on during the Cold War between the US, the USSR and many other nations.

Where was this cleric standing up against the Taliban? The Iranian regime? The murder of the Kurds? The backstabbing ethnic conflict among Muslim regimes when they supposedly rose against an Israeli regime pushing out Muslim Palestinians that none of the other nations really cared about? He didn't. He never did.

He was an extremist cleric preaching nothing more than nonsense hate. I would put him next to a Grand Wizard of the KKK. That is his likeness.

F0uad

Overly simplistic garbage.

I thought he might be on track in discussing US support of certain regimes but he stated that the support went to the worst regimes. Which is laughable. And completely overlooks the actual nature of what went on during the Cold War between the US, the USSR and many other nations.

Where was this cleric standing up against the Taliban? The Iranian regime? The murder of the Kurds? The backstabbing ethnic conflict among Muslim regimes when they supposedly rose against an Israeli regime pushing out Muslim Palestinians that none of the other nations really cared about? He didn't. He never did.

He was an extremist cleric preaching nothing more than nonsense hate. I would put him next to a Grand Wizard of the KKK. That is his likeness.
Thanks for more hate mongering he did condemn the 9/11 attack and several other things. As for him condemning Israel every Muslim does that.. Is he politician is he a president nope and even if he was you can't do anything about it.

Also i don't find it laughable at all i remember how Italy financed Gaddafi, how America financed Mubaraka and the President of Tunis and there are many more examples.
Each time that the West is involved in the Middle-east, South-America or Africa it bites them back.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Not too much disagreement with what he said here. I believe that as a nation we have a right to defend ourselves. If we are attacked (see: Pearl Harbor and The World Trade Centers) then we have a right to defend ourselves.....

I'm pretty much in agreement with you here. Although I would say there were options for dealing with Bin Laden and his gang that would not have involved the invasion of Afghanistan, let alone Iraq. We could have chosen to treat terrorism as a police issue, rather than a military issue -- which we did successfully after the first attack on the world trade center. In other words, we didn't need to go to war, waste a fortune and thousands of lives, to deal with the second attack.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm pretty much in agreement with you here. Although I would say there were options for dealing with Bin Laden and his gang that would not have involved the invasion of Afghanistan, let alone Iraq. We could have chosen to treat terrorism as a police issue, rather than a military issue -- which we did successfully after the first attack on the world trade center. In other words, we didn't need to go to war, waste a fortune and thousands of lives, to deal with the second attack.

I agree. The perpetrators of 9-11 were murderers. They should simply have been arrested and brought to trial, or killed in the attempt. It would have been infinitely cheaper in terms of both lives and lucre.

Alceste

Vagabond
I have to quibble with one of his factual claims.

He says the US "has administered the death and homicide of over one million" citizens of Iraq. I believe he is referring to a thorough (and very good) study which calculated the excess mortality rate associated with the war and the resulting political instability in Iraq. That figure includes everyone who died as a result of sectarian violence between different groups of Muslims, as well as everyone who died due to lack of adequate nutrition or medical services. The portion of deaths made up by Muslim sectarian violence is huge, if I remember the study right. Maybe up to half.

Granted, that violence would not have erupted without the wanton, opportunistic US invasion of Iraq, but it's quite a leap to blame the US for "administering" the wanton, opportunistic murder of Sunnis by Shias, and vice versa.

atanu

Premium Member

Actually most of the world does not believe that invasions were in response to terrorism alone. :)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Actually most of the world does not believe that invasions were in response to terrorism alone. :)

Heck, a large number of Americans are aware that they were only partially because of terrorism.

gnomon

Thanks for more hate mongering he did condemn the 9/11 attack and several other things. As for him condemning Israel every Muslim does that.. Is he politician is he a president nope and even if he was you can't do anything about it.

Also i don't find it laughable at all i remember how Italy financed Gaddafi, how America financed Mubaraka and the President of Tunis and there are many more examples.
Each time that the West is involved in the Middle-east, South-America or Africa it bites them back.

Thank you for proving my point.

Whether or not he was a President means nothing.

Every Muslim does not condemn Israel. Thank you for showing your culturally chosen self imbued bigotry. I already knew it but now everyone else gets to see it.

I would like to continue this discussion but hopefully you will provide a more educated response next time to let me know whether or not I should bother. I'm well aware of US foreign policy failures and blowback. But your response is equivalent to nothing more than a good 'ol boy complaining 'bout them folks.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

I agree totally which is why I stopped short of condoning the two wars. I disagreed with that administration and saw the supposed evidence for those wars as suspect from the start.....and it was made abundantly clear when the report came back that there were no WMDs....