• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Hell . . . .

Draka

Wonder Woman
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

(Romans 1:18-32)
I'm sorry, were you wanting me to do another toad people comparison? That's too long winded to bother with. Hateful too. I don't do hateful. Probably why I don't believe the way you do. I just can't swallow that stuff. Too angry and cruel and hateful and petty for me to believe a greater being actually thinks that way.

Sultan Of Swing

I'm sorry, were you wanting me to do another toad people comparison? That's too long winded to bother with. Hateful too. I don't do hateful. Probably why I don't believe the way you do. I just can't swallow that stuff. Too angry and cruel and hateful and petty for me to believe a greater being actually thinks that way.
Disagreeing with God's morals doesn't make God cease to exist or cease to be the judge that will hold all to account. And thinking His judgements hateful or foolish does not make them so.

Acim

Revelation all the time
For some believers (in God), the idea of hell is unreal. Gnostics come to mind as the type of believers who have long resisted the common notions of hell on similar grounds as a non-believer might. Understanding that hell is an invention to reinforce a distorted view of God as petty, jealous and supporting belief in guilt.

To me, hell is belief (along lines of strong conviction) in a place where one is separate from God and God is nowhere to be found. Guess where that might be found? Conversely, Heaven is an existence where unity with God is self evident and everywhere, God is found. Guess also where one might see Heaven? Quite possible there is a gray area that exists between the two, especially if the two are seen as viable realities that are both existing and 100% diametrically opposed to each other. In that gray area may be voices (messengers) that speak of both as if they know exactly of what they speak of while also acknowledging no one (living) is there now, nor can be. And somehow, all this is known by the messenger.

Sultan Of Swing

Do you believe in any other god? Why or why not?
Because God opened my eyes to see the glory of His Gospel, the glories in the teachings and life of Jesus of Nazareth, who by His death purchased my salvation though I did not deserve it and gave me life as I was dead in my sins. I would be presented with all the evidence in the world and still not believe, just as many people hated and rejected Jesus even though He performed miracles right in front of their eyes, if it were not for God's saving grace which changed my heart and granted me repentance.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Because God opened my eyes to see the glory of His Gospel, the glories in the teachings and life of Jesus of Nazareth, who by His death purchased my salvation though I did not deserve it and gave me life as I was dead in my sins. I would be presented with all the evidence in the world and still not believe, just as many people hated and rejected Jesus even though He performed miracles right in front of their eyes, if it were not for God's saving grace which changed my heart and granted me repentance.
So, that's nice, now why don't you believe in other gods as well or instead of? What is wrong with others? Why so sure others do not exist?

Sultan Of Swing

So, that's nice, now why don't you believe in other gods as well or instead of? What is wrong with others? Why so sure others do not exist?
For God says "I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides me there is no God", and I trust His Word, having been redeemed by Him.

Draka

Wonder Woman
The certainty of God's word means they necessarily cannot exist.
To you. Thing is, you can't prove your god anymore than anyone else can prove theirs. So to actually expect that people should accept what you say about your god punishing them for their disbelief, well, it's just ludicrous. It's also a large part of why the whole punishment for not believing in the first place makes your deity that much harder to swallow.

Hawkins

It's said that hell was originally created as a place for Satan and his angels. (From what a lot of Christians have said, evidently Satan hasn't found his way there yet, as he's still leading us good humans astray.) Fine, but then god decided to use hell as a final resting place for those of us who fail to toe his line.

So what's the deal here? Was hell going to waste with no Satan to burn? Or does god simply get a kick out of making people suffer?

Just what is accomplished by putting people in hell?

Killing humans will make you a murderer. However, killing zombies (turned by humans) is legitimate, because;

1) they are no longer humans
2) they will harm humans and turn humans to their kind whenever possible

Satan is an angel turning to a "zombie". If angels can turn to the devils, so can humans. Humans are actually granted with more freewill than angels, they can thus potentially go more evil.

They state in hell because there's no grace to legitimately save them from that situation, unless Jesus Christ is crucified the second time, however this won't happen. The unquenchable fire will thus come when they choose to sin to an extreme (that's what the "zombies" will do).

Sultan Of Swing

To you. Thing is, you can't prove your god anymore than anyone else can prove theirs. So to actually expect that people should accept what you say about your god punishing them for their disbelief, well, it's just ludicrous. It's also a large part of why the whole punishment for not believing in the first place makes your deity that much harder to swallow.
For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”

Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Draka

Wonder Woman
For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”

Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
Well, that was a whole lot of preachiness for nothing. The fact remains, deity is in the realm of the unknown. That is, it is beyond us to fully comprehend. If we did, we would be equal to deity ourselves. And while we might be part of the whole, we are not the whole itself, therefore we cannot understand the whole. It is too much for the human mind to comprehend fully. Therefore, we cannot prove anything completely about concepts of deity. Yours included. This being known, it is rather absurd to try to hinge the life and purpose of others upon one's own understanding, or misunderstanding as the case may well be, of what deity is or requires, if in fact, it does require anything at all. That is, of course, entertaining the position that deity exists at all.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Hell is the result of freewill. If you don't think Hell or Hell/s/ , has a purpose, then clearly, you also don't think that morality has any meaning besides an arbitrary list of rules.
I'm not saying that hell has no purpose---its purpose is to punish people for not doing as god wants---but what does it accomplish? And FYI, morality has meaning aside from the existence of hell.

People that claim they don't believe in hell, or God, seem to ask more questions about it then those who do believe. Why is that? Are you looking for validation?
The reason non-believers may ask more questions about hell is because they haven't bought into all the dogma, and find asking questions about nonsensical concepts reasonable, such as, Just what is accomplished by putting people in hell?

Care to take a stab?

Might want to refer to Paradise Lost by John Milton.
Don't have the time or the desire. Want to sum it up?

Justice is achieved, for rebelling against God and sinning against Him, those who reject Him will be punished for it, and that is right and fair. But thanks be to God, who has provided a way of salvation through Jesus Christ, even though we deserve God's wrath, He sent His Son to pay the price and take the punishment His people deserved, so that they may call upon the name of Jesus, trust in Him and be saved.
Personally, I see nothing just in sending someone to suffer in hell because they failed to please god, either for doing something against his rules, Or not following rules they never heard of.

Interesting, So far there have been 52 posts in the last 13 hours, and other than Thana's observation that "the bible doesn't say, exactly," not one person has tried to give a direct answer to my question:

Surely there must be some Christian who has the moxie to give it a try. Or is this one of Christianity's unanswerables?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Don't have the time or the desire. Want to sum it up?

Interesting, So far there have been 52 posts in the last 13 hours, and other than Thana's observation that "the bible doesn't say, exactly," not one person has tried to give a direct answer to my question:

Surely there must be some Christian who has the moxie to give it a try. Or is this one of Christianity's unanswerables?

Most people seem to have gotten their concept of Hell from Paradise Lost and Dante's Inferno, not from the Bible.

djhwoodwerks

The reason non-believers may ask more questions about hell is because they haven't bought into all the dogma, and find asking questions about nonsensical concepts reasonable, such as, Just what is accomplished by putting people in hell?

Care to take a stab?

Before I invest time to this subject, do you believe in the God of the Bible?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Most people seem to have gotten their concept of Hell from Paradise Lost and Dante's Inferno, not from the Bible.
I wouldn't doubt it at all. I think that through the years Christians have infused their religion with all kinds of notions from outside.

Sultan Of Swing

I already said, justice is accomplished by doing so, that is objectively their just punishment, you seem to simply don't like the answer. To expand, ultimately all things glorify God, so by giving people their just punishment it shows God's justice and makes His glory shine even brighter.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I already said, justice is accomplished by doing so, that is objectively their just punishment, you seem to simply don't like the answer. To expand, ultimately all things glorify God, so by giving people their just punishment it shows God's justice and makes His glory shine even brighter.
I noted that, but it isn't justice I'm wondering about----obviously god feels it's just to mete out punishment for not obeying his rules---but the kind of justice he decided on. Instead of inflicting disobeying people with blindness for the rest of their lives, or giving them a lisp, god has chosen to send them to suffer in hell after they die. So why Hell? What is accomplished by expressly making people suffer in hell, and for eternity no less?

Last edited: