• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so necessary to do that ?

chinu

chinu
It isn't. In any case, this isn't really hard to understand. Humans in general - regardless of what ideology we are talking about - like expressing themselves and their identities. It's part of how we interact as social animals, and it's part of how we maintain a positive self-image to maintain good mental health.
You mean, believer winning a debate is kinda problem for an atheist to maintain positive self-image to maintain good mental health. That's why it is necessary ?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
You mean, believer winning a debate is kinda problem for an atheist to maintain positive self-image to maintain good mental health. That's why it is necessary ?

I'd say the same about theists, only more so. Losing a debate to an atheist makes it hard for the theist to keep a positive self-image and maintain mental good health, doesn't it?

It seems to me that a lot of your posts are pointing at atheists, but apply just as much or more to theists.

Why is it necessary for theists to insist everyone else should also be a theist?

chinu

chinu
I'd say the same about theists, only more so. Losing a debate to an atheist makes it hard for the theist to keep a positive self-image and maintain mental good health, doesn't it?
No this is NOT the case true theist. A true theist enjoy enough good mental health by dedicating self / self image to God

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
After determining atheistic point of view, I determined that non believers can go to any extent to prove non existence of God. Why it is so necessary to do that ?

And further why it also so necessary to press like, funny, winner, love, useful, optimistic, creative and most importantly informative button when somebody reply in favor of atheism ?
I’m not even an atheist, per se. But your previous question belied a serious misunderstanding of an atheistic POV. Justice always being served is the stuff of childish naivety. Life just sucks sometimes. Tough.

As to why we like or whatever on an Atheistic post. I ask, why the hell not? RF is stupid enough to let us play with such tools.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
'Necessary' is a strong word. Necessary for what? For survival? Hardly. To maintain one's esteem by belittling, 'proving', etc.? Perhaps.

Personally I see little difference between theists claiming superiority to atheists, or atheists claiming superiority to theists. The psychological need is the same. Generally it comes from one's own doubt on their own stance. Verbalising, "I'm better' helps to alleviate that doubt, or at least that's what the subconscious is telling you.

Also, it's definitely not all atheists, nor all theists. Plenty of people have no desire to get into this comparison.

chinu

chinu
'Necessary' is a strong word. Necessary for what? For survival? Hardly. To maintain one's esteem by belittling, 'proving', etc.? Perhaps.

Personally I see little difference between theists claiming superiority to atheists, or atheists claiming superiority to theists. The psychological need is the same. Generally it comes from one's own doubt on their own stance. Verbalising, "I'm better' helps to alleviate that doubt, or at least that's what the subconscious is telling you.

Also, it's definitely not all atheists, nor all theists. Plenty of people have no desire to get into this comparison.
Who doubts more, believer, or non believer ?

chinu

chinu
I’m not even an atheist, per se. But your previous question belied a serious misunderstanding of an atheistic POV. Justice always being served is the stuff of childish naivety. Life just sucks sometimes. Tough.

As to why we like or whatever on an Atheistic post. I ask, why the hell not? RF is stupid enough to let us play with such tools.
Very true :)

Brian2

Veteran Member
Give an example of an atheist doing this.

In general atheists simply don't have a belief that deities exist. But the burden of proof is on the theists: THEY are the ones making an existence claim, so the burden of proof falls on them.

Atheists are simply unconvinced by the claims theists make.

I would say that atheists are unconvinced by the evidence God has given for His existence.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Who doubts more, believer, or non believer ?
Chinu, that makes no difference to me at all. Obviously, there are many people out there, maybe as many as 10% on each side. Individuals all vary, on both sides, so to make some generalisation like that would be impossible. The reason you don't know about the 90% of people is because they're so not into the argument that they never say anything at all. The quiet majority.

Within that 10%, everyone will try to find arguments that support their view. From my POV, it's all rather childish. Surely other people might have different needs, different thoughts.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
No. am not like that. What made you think so ?

From your last reply. You didn't question my opinion. You didn't offer debate. You insisted that I am wrong in my belief. in my opinion asserting that your belief is all that matters.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well I'm more than an atheist, I'm an anti-theist. I think religion has a bad influence on society. I think what John Lennon said in his song "Imagine", sums it up nicely. :)

Lennon meant that religions are socio-political systems that divide instead of uniting.
Whereas the religious sentiment is supposed to remain something very private and personal. And it shall not prevent someone from respecting the neighbor and their views.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
After determining atheistic point of view, I determined that non believers can go to any extent to prove non existence of God. Why it is so necessary to do that ?
Ego has many ways to express itself

And further why it also so necessary to press like, funny, winner, love, useful, optimistic, creative and most importantly informative button when somebody reply in favor of atheism ?
Ego loves to make itself bigger and more important

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I see bucket loads of protection here. I wonder why?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No this is NOT the case true theist. A true theist enjoy enough good mental health by dedicating self / self image to God

Sounds like a 'No True Scotsman' fallacy to me.

I could equally argue that any 'true atheist' would be unaffected mentally by a loss in a single debate.

If the evidence were there, most atheists would *love* to believe. They just see the evidence given as being *very* weak and completely unconvincing. The lack of belief isn't the foundation of our mental health as belief seems to be for theists.

exchemist

Veteran Member

It is normal to show support for posts one agrees with. Why should there be an exception for posts arguing for atheism?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Kind of silly to disprove something you have no good reason to belive in. I don't know why you see any necessity is attached to being an atheist other than not finding a sufficient reason to believe in a God.

Again, no necessity here. However generally I like to support folks who make a good argument, reinforce my views or provide useful information. This is true whether or not the poster is atheist.

Being an theist or atheist is not, to me anyway, a significant attribute on which to judge a person or their arguments.