• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so complicated?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am still trying to nail down what I believe and some religions seem so complicated. Either there are many rules to follow, the texts are tedious, or the nature of the religion is so abstract that I can't follow. Can't it be easier than this?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I am still trying to nail down what I believe and some religions seem so complicated. Either there are many rules to follow, the texts are tedious, or the nature of the religion is so abstract that I can't follow. Can't it be easier than this?
It does seem that way, somewhat like learning a language. You grow up with one (or two); and you don't realize how much goes into it until you add another one.

epronovost

Might I suggest deism or even downright atheism? Deism cuts pretty much all of the rutals and of mythology.

I think brickjectivity pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me the rules etc can easily get in the way. If you dedicate yourself to becoming more loving, or compassionate if you prefer, and to act with kindness where ever and whenever you can, you are to me fulfilling the essence of religion.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Always when reading to understand a new religious text there will be difficult to grasp the meaning of the teaching. But when reading, again and again, the wisdom of the words will become your wisdom of knowledge :) Spiritual teachings are not understood in the same way as other books. The more you read the more wisdom arise out of the same text :) Do not give up, you will find your way :)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Have you tried this yet? It might be helpful (or not.) At least it might ask some questions and give options you have not thought about yourself as of yet.

Spiritual Belief System Selector A Religion Selector

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
They may seem to be like that but actually, may not be.
Hinduism and Buddhism shorn of their wool are very slim. To make it easier for you, my reading of the two main Indian religions is:
Hinduism: Follow your 'dharma', if you contemplate on things, accept that the conclusions will vary.
Buddhism: Follow your 'dharma', and do not engage in needless contemplation.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

*Sits down at a desk, and waves a hand*

Sure it can. It sounds like you're ready to come and talk...to US.
Mwahahaha!!!

(Err...sorry. Drunk posting. This might get random.)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Sure can.

I've found eliminating belief altogether to be quite helpful.

Observe...experience...research...contemplate...and everything sort of falls into place. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Narrowing it down helps, I think. You can easily discard many faiths just by looking at core beliefs. That is, if you already know some of the stuff you believe in. But generally, I'm with Salix on this ... try to figure out what you believe without looking at what others believe at all. After all, it's your belief, not theirs. Frankly, nobody is really that convincing when they try to convince you. All they're doing is telling you what they believe. Unless you've had experiences or insights that jive with theirs, you're not going to agree.

But then, in a way I'm just telling you how I personally came to the belief I came to. I was raised agnostic and came to believe a few things from experience. Then it was finding which faith matched that.

Gotta be tough from the pure 'I know nothing' perspective though. Best wishes.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I always thought Christianity pretty easy. Kind of the last resort for those who can't do religion well.

Only real requirement is to claim Jesus as your lord and savior.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Might I suggest deism or even downright atheism? Deism cuts pretty much all of the rutals and of mythology.

I think brickjectivity pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

I can't believe in actual deities anymore, but I want to view them as archetypes. I want a religion. I miss the meaning and community you get with religion. Dang it!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Always when reading to understand a new religious text there will be difficult to grasp the meaning of the teaching. But when reading, again and again, the wisdom of the words will become your wisdom of knowledge :) Spiritual teachings are not understood in the same way as other books. The more you read the more wisdom arise out of the same text :) Do not give up, you will find your way :)

Thank you. Besides the actual texts, there are so many other books on the subject and the number is so vast that I can't stop reading about them and I get overwhelmed and confused.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Hinduism and Buddhism shorn of their wool are very slim. To make it easier for you, my reading of the two main Indian religions is:
Hinduism: Follow your 'dharma', if you contemplate on things, accept that the conclusions will vary.
Buddhism: Follow your 'dharma', and do not engage in needless contemplation.

I love eastern religions, and though I understand the basics, the other things (multitudes of deities or beings and getting to enlightenment) make it complicated. Help!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Narrowing it down helps, I think. You can easily discard many faiths just by looking at core beliefs. That is, if you already know some of the stuff you believe in. But generally, I'm with Salix on this ... try to figure out what you believe without looking at what others believe at all. After all, it's your belief, not theirs. Frankly, nobody is really that convincing when they try to convince you. All they're doing is telling you what they believe. Unless you've had experiences or insights that jive with theirs, you're not going to agree.

But then, in a way I'm just telling you how I personally came to the belief I came to. I was raised agnostic and came to believe a few things from experience. Then it was finding which faith matched that.

Gotta be tough from the pure 'I know nothing' perspective though. Best wishes.

I don't know how to choose only one view for some things, since it's belief and not fact. I don't know how to believe in a deity without looking at things, like why some innocent people have horrific accidents or disease, or why some babies are born with deformities and suffer horribly. *sigh*