• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so complicated?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you. I really do like Krishna and Kali though. Hinduism does seem like a great religion, but one that also confuses me.
Confusion just comes from the vastness. Once you pick a path it's far less so. If you try to study all the road maps of America simultaneously, yes you won't know which road to take. But one state map, it'll be easier.

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Hard to describe. The simple part of it is virtues. All good words of character are to be followed and studied. I tend to believe that nature is evolving spiritually and that we are no accident. So there is an eternal source that is completely natural yet mysterious. All the cosmos fades away, but we are eternal. There is a tree of life and we are born at the physical roots of life and when we die we enter into a different phase of reality. Basically existence is learning about itself through us.

Now I come to realize there is a word for what I believe in, cosmopsychism.

Cosmopsychism explains why the Universe is fine-tuned for life | Aeon Essays

I believe this is a rather new metaphysical position. But it fits with my religion.

sealchan

I am still trying to nail down what I believe and some religions seem so complicated. Either there are many rules to follow, the texts are tedious, or the nature of the religion is so abstract that I can't follow. Can't it be easier than this?

A good religion has to unite your uniqueness to the complex, adaptive reality you find yourself in. It should appear to be quite messy until you find how you fit in.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I am still trying to nail down what I believe and some religions seem so complicated. Either there are many rules to follow, the texts are tedious, or the nature of the religion is so abstract that I can't follow. Can't it be easier than this?
I like it simple too, hence I love my Master who said "The Bible can be summarized as: Hurt Never, Help Ever".

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Wouldn't leggings or yoga pants be better if you sit on the floor. You don't have seams or folds to contend with and that could cut your circulation or irritate the skin.
They may be good for Yoga classes, but would not be considered decent in a temple - so loose pants. Vinayaka tells us that there are chairs in temple, so sitting on floor may not be necessary (though a Hindu may like sitting cross-legged better - we are accustomed to it).
A good religion has to unite your uniqueness to the complex, adaptive reality you find yourself in. It should appear to be quite messy until you find how you fit in.
Well said, Sealchan. Hinduism serves a billion people without restricting their individuality. I do not believe in creation, God/Gods/Goddesses, soul, birth, death, heaven, hell, reincarnation or transference of the karmas of this life to any other (because I believe there is none); but I am still very much a Hindu.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They may be good for Yoga classes, but would not be considered decent in a temple - so loose pants. Vinayaka tells us that there are chairs in temple, so sitting on floor may not be necessary (though a Hindu may like sitting cross-legged better - we are accustomed to it).Well said, Sealchan. Hinduism serves a billion people without restricting their individuality. I do not believe in creation, God/Gods/Goddesses, soul, birth, death, heaven, hell, reincarnation or transference of the karmas of this life to any other (because I believe there is none); but I am still very much a Hindu.
In my temple there are no chairs. Still, lots of temples do have chairs. In my travels here in North America, it's far more with no chairs. But then I generally am selective about the style of temple I go to.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Sadly, nowadays, to trust Jesus is also to believe in the other crap the religion tries to sell. Jesus would probably not like what has happened to the religion. I follow Jesus as one of my spiritual role models, but I am looking for a religion that values human nature, not one that tries to oppose it and call it evil.

I follow Jesus since He died and rose to perfect me. In Heaven, people cannot harm one another, so it's not just love or even forgiveness, but transformation. I will be unable to harm others in Heaven. Harming others emotionally or physically should not "be valued as a part of human nature".

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I follow Jesus since He died and rose to perfect me. In Heaven, people cannot harm one another, so it's not just love or even forgiveness, but transformation. I will be unable to harm others in Heaven. Harming others emotionally or physically should not "be valued as a part of human nature".

We should try not harming each other here. :(

Hermit

I agree with what the 14th Dalai Lama said, "Now, as to the nature of the actual preparation itself, this will depend on each individual's depth of spiritual aspiration. For example, if an individual is simply seeking a favorable rebirth as a human being, there is no need to engage in a sophisticated meditative path related to the processes of death and rebirth. Simply to live a virtuous life is seen as sufficient."