• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so complicated?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I don't know how to believe in a deity without looking at things, like why some innocent people have horrific accidents or disease, or why some babies are born with deformities and suffer horribly. *sigh*
Deities and Gods are for something else and not for the government of the world or universe. The world is ruled by Chaos, uncertainty and probability. Not understanding this causes much confusion.
I am not sure how to quantify experiences of how to experience deities. Am I clueless? I think I just want to make my own ritual, etc but I want to also be able to fit into a church, et al.
Try something new, a Hindu temple or a Buddhist Sangha.
But how do I have a religion without belief?
That is easy. It is Buddhism or Advaita Hinduism. But you said you want a religion with a deity. That will be Mahayana Buddhism or Advaita Hinduism (of a variety which is not as strict as mine, mine is very individual).

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Of course it can. Biblically, "trust Jesus".

Sadly, nowadays, to trust Jesus is also to believe in the other crap the religion tries to sell. Jesus would probably not like what has happened to the religion. I follow Jesus as one of my spiritual role models, but I am looking for a religion that values human nature, not one that tries to oppose it and call it evil.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Do your own comparison:

Egyptian language - Wikipedia check out Eber's Papyrus on the right. This is Egyptian. The Book of Mormon original is on the bottom.

gold-plates-replica-reformed-egyptian-characters-1024x512.jpg

Do your own comparison.

I will check it out. Thanks.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Deities and Gods are for something else and not for the government of the world or universe. The world is ruled by Chaos, uncertainty and probability. Not understanding this causes much confusion.Try something new, a Hindu temple or a Buddhist Sangha.That is easy. It is Buddhism or Advaita Hinduism. But you said you want a religion with a deity. That will be Mahayana Buddhism or Advaita Hinduism (of a variety which is not as strict as mine, mine is very individual).

I like my local Buddhist temple. I have yet to try a Hindu temple, mostly because I want to know what to expect before I drop in. I don't like to cause any negative attention. Can you help? Not sure I want a deity as much as I want to value deity as maybe an archetype and not as a supernatural being.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I like my local Buddhist temple. I have yet to try a Hindu temple, mostly because I want to know what to expect before I drop in. I don't like to cause any negative attention. Can you help? Not sure I want a deity as much as I want to value deity as maybe an archetype and not as a supernatural being.
Do you know what form of Buddhist temple you have visited and like? Different schools within Buddhism :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I like Mormons in general, as they seem nice and helpful, but okay, here's a thing: There is no language called Reformed Egyptian, right? That's a big problem for me. No offense intended.
No offense taken, @Thirza Fallen. I suspect that you don't know the reason for the language being referred to as "Reformed Egyptian" or understand its supposed origins. If you have two minutes, here's a video that explains it quite concisely. I'm not saying this will convince you, so just take it for what it's worth.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I am still trying to nail down what I believe and some religions seem so complicated. Either there are many rules to follow, the texts are tedious, or the nature of the religion is so abstract that I can't follow. Can't it be easier than this?
Think of it this way.

Did you ever see four men trying to move a couch through a doorway ?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Do you know what form of Buddhist temple you have visited and like? Different schools within Buddhism :)

I know the different forms, but the one I visited a few times is a branch of Fo Guang Shan, which is Chinese for Buddha’s Light Mountain. I have no more clue about this form. I think I might be more in line with Theravada but not sure.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
No offense taken, @Thirza Fallen. I suspect that you don't know the reason for the language being referred to as "Reformed Egyptian" or understand its supposed origins. If you have two minutes, here's a video that explains it quite concisely. I'm not saying this will convince you, so just take it for what it's worth.

No, I really don't but am willing to learn. Your posts always seem well thought out, so I would value anything you have to offer. Thank you!!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I know the different forms, but the one I visited a few times is a branch of Fo Guang Shan, which is Chinese for Buddha’s Light Mountain. I have no more clue about this form. I think I might be more in line with Theravada but not sure.
Mostly all forms of Chinese Buddhism belong to Mahayana Buddhism not Theravada, But if you feel it is good to go there it is good for you :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I am still trying to nail down what I believe and some religions seem so complicated. Either there are many rules to follow, the texts are tedious, or the nature of the religion is so abstract that I can't follow. Can't it be easier than this?

Just be who you want to be, believe what you want to believe. You dont need a label.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I know, but I really miss having something bigger than myself, something to be different for.
We human beings are social animals. We build collective mindsets that are bigger than any one individual. You do your part in changing whichever collective/assembly/congregation by changing/transforming yourself. Think about how you want to affect the world, look within yourself, and make any adjustments to yourself that will help bring about the change you want to see.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have yet to try a Hindu temple, mostly because I want to know what to expect before I drop in. I don't like to cause any negative attention. Can you help? Not sure I want a deity as much as I want to value deity as maybe an archetype and not as a supernatural being.
What should you expect at a Hindu temple but welcome? Hindu deities are archtypes or real depending on the belief of a Hindu. For me, they are archetypes and not real (that is why I am an atheist Hindu). Just go there, sit in a corner or against a wall and observe what people are doing. You don't have to put something in the collection box, you do not have to take anything with you other than perhaps just a few flowers for the deity/deities. At most temples you would see many to choose from. Listing the major deities (c) will mean consort of the named deity as also a deity by herself many of the times:

Vishnu, Lakshmi (c), Rama, Sita (c), Krishna, Radha (celestial love), Rukmani (c + 7 others), Shiva, Parvati (c), Ganesha, Riddhi, Siddhi (c's), Kartikeya, Valli, Devasena (c's), Brahma, Saraswati, Durga, Kali, Hanuman, sometimes Dattatreya, Buddha. Of course, at some temples, Sun and the planets also.

If you want a deity, then Mahayana will suit you better than Theravada. My choice is always towards the lean one, i.e., Theravada.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Just be who you want to be, believe what you want to believe. You dont need a label.

I guess I am wanting a community to fit into, and I kind of like a way to structure my life around a religion of sorts. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind totally going it alone.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
What should you expect at a Hindu temple but welcome? Hindu deities are archtypes or real depending on the belief of a Hindu. For me, they are archetypes and not real (that is why I am an atheist Hindu). Just go there, sit in a corner or against a wall and observe what people are doing.

If you want a deity, then Mahayana will suit you better than Theravada. My choice is always towards the lean one, i.e., Theravada.
How should I dress?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Search Hinduism Forum (threads titles only) with Temple visit.More perhaps tomorrow.
(I suppose below the knee skirts. Vinayaka is the best help around in this matter)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How should I dress?
The main rule is modesty. Loose pants or jeans are better, as we sit on the floor. Some temples do have gues tours or temple hosts. You can phone ahead and check it out. There are also quiet times and busy times.

It looks to me that Hinduism wouldn't be a good fit for you though. It will take quite a long time to learn to fit into a community. Because of our non-proselytising, Hindus don't come across as being all that friendly to newcomers. Of course if you approach someone they'll be really friendly, but it's not like we see you as some potential convert, and go after you. It's more or less individualistic. Temples aren't social halls, they're the homes of God and Gods.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The main rule is modesty. Loose pants or jeans are better, as we sit on the floor. Some temples do have gues tours or temple hosts. You can phone ahead and check it out. There are also quiet times and busy times. Hinduism wouldn't

It looks to me that Hinduism wouldn't be a good fit for you though. It will take quite a long time to learn to fit into a community. Because of our non-proselytising, Hindus don't come across as being all that friendly to newcomers. Of course if you approach someone they'll be really friendly, but it's not like we see you as some potential convert, and go after you. It's more or less individualistic. Temples aren't social halls, they're the homes of God and Gods.

Thank you. I really do like Krishna and Kali though. Hinduism does seem like a great religion, but one that also confuses me.

epronovost

Loose pants or jeans are better, as we sit on the floor.

Wouldn't leggings or yoga pants be better if you sit on the floor. You don't have seams or folds to contend with and that could cut your circulation or irritate the skin.

Mind you, I'm a middle aged straight white man so my fashion advices should be taken with a grain of salt.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Wouldn't leggings or yoga pants be better if you sit on the floor. You don't have seams or folds to contend with and that could cut your circulation or irritate the skin.

Mind you, I'm a middle aged straight white man so my fashion advices should be taken with a grain of salt.

Saris or salwar kameez, and veshtis or dhotis are best by far for regulars. It's different for occasional or once. A ton of westerners come once, and their programming gets them so scared they stay away after that.