• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should I believe in your religion and faith?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
1 Corinthians: Christ the Wisdom and Power of God

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God....The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
(King James Bible, 1 Corinthians)

14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

16:21 The salutation of me Paul with mine own hand.

J_R

13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

this seems to be contradictory....at one point the bible tells one to "put away childish things" and to "be not children in understanding"...... and then in another part of the bible it says the following:

"Jesus called a little child to him and stood the child before his followers. Then he said,”I tell you the truth, you must change and become like little children. Otherwise, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. The greatest person in the kingdom of heaven is the one who makes himself humble like this child.”

Booko

Deviled Hen
I have to say you are very brave to post such an admition on a forum like this. I know the Lord will bless you in your quest for further light and knowledge. The Lord has a plan for us, he will not leave us in the dark. He has called Prophets and Apostles to the earth again and the Heavens are open again. I am only a young boy of 19 and I don't know much, but I do know we can receive revelation from God, if we ask in faith. He can enlighten our spirit and mind, answering questions like "which church should I join"? or "are these things true"? These times can be confusing, but the Lord knows his children. He is aware of you and your search for truth, and he loves you very much. You might have guessed but i am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I have asked questions like you are asking now, and they've been answered. The lord Does not expect us to follow the voices of men blindly, "ask and ye shall receive" brother.

Welcome to RF, Missionary.

Just a note...it is helpful to use the quote feature when posting something like this.

I wish I knew who you were addressing your post to, but in a 21 page thread...uh....maybe not?

thanks

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
this seems to be contradictory....at one point the bible tells one to "put away childish things" and to "be not children in understanding"...... and then in another part of the bible it says the following:

"Jesus called a little child to him and stood the child before his followers. Then he said,”I tell you the truth, you must change and become like little children. Otherwise, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. The greatest person in the kingdom of heaven is the one who makes himself humble like this child.”
Context is king.

uss_bigd

1. I need your definition of a church?

My definition? my own can be screwed you know?

let see what the bible has to say:

Colossians 1:18
And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.

whose body?

Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

Church=Body of Christ:bow:

any questions?

uss_bigd

2. Calling is lifetime: Pressing on Toward the Goal

Let us see how the word called and for what the word called was used in the bible:

1 Corinthians 1:2

To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:

The early Christians were called to the Church of God, CALLED to be sanctified and be holy.

Ephesians 4:4
There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called—

The early christians were called in one body, one sprit and one hope.

Colossians 3:15
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

The early Christians we called in the peace of Christ as members of ONE BODY.

That is how the word called was used in the early church.:bow:

3. What do you mean by losing your calling?

2 Corinthians 13:5

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

2 Pet 1:10

Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

2 Pet 2:21-22

It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit,"and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
My definition? my own can be screwed you know?

let see what the bible has to say:

Colossians 1:18
And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.

whose body?

Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

Church=Body of Christ:bow:

any questions?
yes.
Why didn't you answer the question?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I somewhat agree with your line of thought. The only ones who know God are those whom God has revealed Himself through His Word, and those whom God has made alive to Himself by granting them spiritual eyes to see Him. To all others, the Bible reveals that they are spirituality dead, and do not know God. The Bible verse applies to the elect of God only.

Faith is a sign that you know the true and living God.

To not believe in His Son Jesus Christ is to call God a liar.

God will punish those who do not know Him through His Son with a vengeance. Unbelievers will loose the war, because God is much bigger than you.

1. What about those whom "god" has revealed him/herself to personally? The ones who have no need of a book of words written by men that contradict each other in many places because they got their information from the source?

2. Yes and no. I have faith, I know The Deity, but I don't think you can qualify Her as "living".

3. No, to not believe in Jesus Christ is to not take Christian mythology based on a book of its tales so dang seriously. I'm not calling anyone a liar, I'm saying that it was never truth to begin with. It's a myth, like any other religion is based on.

4. War? Hmm, nice deity you believe in there. Good luck with that.

Tau

You have your own path and your own perceptions, believe only what your instincts tell you, and use your mind to percieve what is unseen.

The pursuit of understanding begins with knowledge and never ends, if you want to blindly pick any faith and adopt it as your own philosophy then there are plenty of choices, all equally valid and equally parochial of this world.

:D

McBell

Because i don't speak for my self.:yes:

John 7:17
"If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.":bow:

You know what?
You are a fountain of no information.
You know that?

uss_bigd

You know what?
You are a fountain of no information.
You know that?

Come on Mestemia, one's non-acceptnce of biblical information does not make it 'no information."

It actually is, but it is your right not to consider it as such.:yes:

Peace!

McBell

Come on Mestemia, one's non-acceptnce of biblical information does not make it 'no information."

It actually is, but it is your right not to consider it as such.:yes:

Peace!
Wow.
You have made missing the point an art form of which you have mastered.

yearningknight

Yearningknight
From all of my studies I know that all religions are the same so why believe in something that doesn't exist and was made to control, manipulate, and bring fear into you so that you would be easier to be able to be controled. I have studied Satanism, Christainity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Daoism, Scientology, Wiccan, and Pagan. I went from Baptist to Mormon to Agonstic to Atheist because I sought some kind of spiritual enlighten however I came to realised that I was an idiot for searching because there is nothing out there but man-made gods and goddesses.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I want to explore spiritual things that cannot be seen. The universe is too big to believe that spiritual things do not exist. There are so many religions and I don't know where to start. Why is your particular religion or faith more truthful than another one?
Well, I would have to say it's a personal thing. I tested the claims of Buddhist practice by practicing myself. This was facilitated by the fact that no belief is required, only practice.

After practicing for a period of time I began to notice that the claims being made were true; that I was actually achieving the advertised results. Then and only then did I begin to believe.

I make no claims that my religion or faith is more truthful than any other. The claim I make is that I have tested it, and continue to test it every day. The practice continues to pass the tests. When it fails, I will begin searching for another practice to replace it.