• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should I believe in your religion and faith?

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
I want to explore spiritual things that cannot be seen. The universe is too big to believe that spiritual things do not exist. There are so many religions and I don't know where to start. Why is your particular religion or faith more truthful than another one?

BFD_Zayl

I cannot answer that, only you can. personally, my path is not right for many. Most are not used to the ideals that I practice, if you wish I can give you some websites to help you comprehend my view.

tomspug

Absorbant
I believe in a religion that says that if YOU seek out the truth, YOU will find it. Christianity is all about self-accountability. I don't believe that people come to know Christ by hearing a compelling argument for a religion. They come to know Christ by seeking Him in life and in looking for truth.

So, if you want to know whether or not Christianity is true, give the gospels an honest read and ask yourself whether or not it sounds like truth or bologna. If it's true, God will press that truth on your heart. If not, you can forget about it and move on. It's that simple.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
What has size to do with anything. If matter and energy have existed forever, no creator god is needed.

When I look at the stars on a clear night, I am humbled. We are but a speck in space...almost a meaningless speck when compared to the known size of the cosmos. Who knows how far the universe expands, or how big it really is? Are you saying the cosmos has no begining? How did you come up with that conclusion? If you can answer that question dogmatically, does that make you God in a way?

logician

When I look at the stars on a clear night, I am humbled. We are but a speck in space...almost a meaningless speck when compared to the known size of the cosmos. Who knows how far the universe expands, or how big it really is? Are you saying the cosmos has no begining? How did you come up with that conclusion? If you can answer that question dogmatically, does that make you God in a way?

It's not my theory, several of the latest theories in cosmology say that the multiverse is infinite, i.e. has been in existence forever, that there may be any number of universes in coming into existence or dying eternally.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
I believe in a religion that says that if YOU seek out the truth, YOU will find it. Christianity is all about self-accountability. I don't believe that people come to know Christ by hearing a compelling argument for a religion. They come to know Christ by seeking Him in life and in looking for truth.

So, if you want to know whether or not Christianity is true, give the gospels an honest read and ask yourself whether or not it sounds like truth or bologna. If it's true, God will press that truth on your heart. If not, you can forget about it and move on. It's that simple.

Thank you for the help and suggestions. I have personally read the Bible several times. I know many people have read the Bible and are not Christians. Some people have sincerely seeked God but are still not Christians. Why do you think that happens? Doesn't the Christian God want everyone to become Christians?

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
I cannot answer that, only you can. personally, my path is not right for many. Most are not used to the ideals that I practice, if you wish I can give you some websites to help you comprehend my view.

Could you please share what you believe? Thank you!

tomspug

Absorbant
It's not my theory, several of the latest theories in cosmology say that the multiverse is infinite, i.e. has been in existence forever, that there may be any number of universes in coming into existence or dying eternally.
The reason people come up with those theories is that an infinite existence of the universe is the only position an atheist can take, not because there is any scientific data that backs that position up.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!

I'm not sure your statement is very logical, because you stated that the latest theories in cosmology say the the universe is infinite. Since you have called this position a theory, how can it be a fact? What makes your theory any more valid than a Creationist?

tomspug

Absorbant
Thank you for the help and suggestions. I have personally read the Bible several times. I know many people have read the Bible and are not Christians. Some people have sincerely seeked God but are still not Christians. Why do you think that happens? Doesn't the Christian God want everyone to become Christians?
God doesn't want people "in" a religion. God wants people "in" a relationship with him. Even I, a Christian my whole life, still struggle with that, because selfish impulses always try and convince me to live life by "my rules" and "my understanding", but there are those times where life takes a turn and you don't know where you are heading, but God does.

I didn't mean to imply that reading the Bible meant 'conversion'. I only meant that people who seek God WILL find Him eventually. Just because God doesn't do it on their time doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

BFD_Zayl

Could you please share what you believe? Thank you!
The Ars Falcis
this is one of the best websites that help explain my beliefs, most websites are bunk, but this one is authentic, I recommend you read through most of it, although I will warn you, it is one doozy of a read, and will take awhile to complete, other then that this necromancy thread will do you good.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
God doesn't want people "in" a religion. God wants people "in" a relationship with him. Even I, a Christian my whole life, still struggle with that, because selfish impulses always try and convince me to live life by "my rules" and "my understanding", but there are those times where life takes a turn and you don't know where you are heading, but God does.

I didn't mean to imply that reading the Bible meant 'conversion'. I only meant that people who seek God WILL find Him eventually. Just because God doesn't do it on their time doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

When you say we have to seek after God, it implies that God is hiding from us. Why would the Christian God hide from us? I know the Christian Faith is one of grace (unmerited favor). It seems if we are required to seek after God, we are working by seeking after Him. There appears to be lots of work involved in seeking after God. Does that make Christianity an apparent contradiction?

blackout

Violet.
Why should I believe in your religion and faith?

You shouldn't.
What you see and believe should be your own.

Ooops! :eek:
That IS my "belief"!

But if you prefer to jump on someone else's bandwagon
it's no problem to me. :p

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
You shouldn't.
What you see and believe should be your own.

Ooops! :eek:
That IS my "belief"!

But if you prefer to jump on someone else's bandwagon
it's no problem to me. :p

Thank you for sharing UltraViolet. That's a super-hero type of screen name! I was hoping to find the truth on this website. It seems you are adovcating the popular belief of pluralism. I think truth is more objective than subjective. If we have 6 billion people in this world with different faiths and religions, then all cannot be right at the same time. Do you agree with my conclusion? I want to know the truth if it can be found on this planet.

Religious pluralism is a loosely defined term concerning peaceful relations between different religions, and is also used in a number of related ways:
  • Religious Pluralism may describe the worldview that one's religion is not the sole and exclusive source of truth, and thus recognizes that some level of truth and value exists in at least some other religions.
  • Religious pluralism often is used as a synonym for ecumenism. At a minimum, ecumenism is the promotion of unity, co-operation, or improved understanding between different religions, or denominations within the same religion
  • As a synonym for religious tolerance, which is a condition of harmonious co-existence between adherents of different religions.
I got this definition from Wickipedia.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
This is what I believe... I'm not telling you that you should believe it too, but I thought you might be interested to know...

Is Nihilism similar to hedonism? I think you shared that our existence is meaningless, and you are here to have fun on your link. This seems like the religion of hedonism. Is that correct?

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
I don't know what that is. Do they believe in God or anything??

Hedonism (Greek hēdonē, “pleasure”), in philosophy, the doctrine that pleasure is the sole or chief good in life and that the pursuit of it is the ideal aim of conduct. Two important hedonistic theories were expounded in ancient Greece. The Cyrenaics, or egoistic hedonists, espoused a doctrine in which gratification of one's immediate personal desires, without regard for other persons, is considered the supreme end of existence. Knowledge, according to the Cyrenaics, is rooted in the fleeting sensations of the moment, and it is therefore futile to attempt the formulation of a system of moral values in which the desirability of present pleasures is weighed against the pain they may cause in the future. Unlike the egoistic hedonists, the Epicureans, or rational hedonists, contended that the true pleasure is attainable only by reason. They stressed the virtues of self-control and prudence.

This definition came from Encarta on MSN.com