• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should God bother showing miracles ?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For example: If a magician need NOT to bother showing magic to his own kids, in order to prove himself as their "Father" ? Then why should God bother showing miracles in order to prove himself as "Creator" ?

Kindly note: please do refrain posting in this thread if you don't expect miracles, thank you.

I think it is just to help remove doubt in His/Her existence.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No, no, no, you're not taking it far enough.

Every so often, we hear about the types who require "proof" or "evidence" usually in the narrow sense of what those mean to "believe" something. Don't make this about a father doing magic tricks to prove they are someone's father. It's even more basic than that.

How many of us have received proof in the narrow sense (a DNA test) that our fathers are our fathers?

Nimos

There are those that think the creator made the train, got it rolling, stole the brake handle, and left.
That might be the case, but in that case, people shouldn't "pretend" to know what such creator want and don't want. If he left, it means that we should bother about him in my opinion.

shivsomashekhar

All believers who represents themselves as believers are NOT true believers. Mostly there are just false people making false claims.

you answered your own question.

This is exactly why the various Gods of this world have to demonstrate that they are more than fantasy created by certain humans to exploit the fears of their fellow humans.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

PAUL MARKHAM

How many of us have received proof in the narrow sense (a DNA test) that our fathers are our fathers?
This makes perfect sense. If my father is a god or god is a mere mortal. Or it's just some refusing to give evidence.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
For example: If a magician need NOT to bother showing magic to his own kids, in order to prove himself as their "Father" ? Then why should God bother showing miracles in order to prove himself as "Creator" ?

Kindly note: please do refrain posting in this thread if you don't expect miracles, thank you.

God should show miracles if (and only if) he expects us to believe in him, and he doesn't want to directly appear.
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but there it is.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No, no, no, you're not taking it far enough.

Every so often, we hear about the types who require "proof" or "evidence" usually in the narrow sense of what those mean to "believe" something. Don't make this about a father doing magic tricks to prove they are someone's father. It's even more basic than that.

It's an interesting point.
I accepted a lot of things when young, and then over time those beliefs developed and changed. When I was five, I didn't question 'God' at all. I'm not suggesting for a moment that belief in God is immature, only that beliefs change due to external agents. This would be the same as belief that my father was my father.
I believed he was at five. The difference is that, much as I wished it were different when I was a teenager (we've reconciled...lol), I had no cause to believe my father wasn't my father. I could have been completely wrong, of course...but there was no external agent causing cognitive dissonance that needed to be resolved.

So if I were a theist or...I dunno...let's say 'non-atheist'...then i believe the nature of that theism would be different from the nature of the theism I accepted when I was five. The dissonance and external agents could have been reconciled in a different manner. For the sake of argument, I could have become a deist, or panentheist, or pantheist, or...lot's of things. But some specific beliefs around God were unsustainable in my opinion, and based on my life and manner of thinking.

TLDR : I don't need proof that my dad is my dad. I wouldn't ignore proof he wasn't.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Why should God bother showing miracles ?

IMO: It is not that "God should bother", but out of His boundless compassion He Grants us His visiting cards for us to be grateful, happy, blissful.

A Vestigial Mote

You've got it all wrong in your analogy.

A FATHER does not need to perform magic tricks in order to prove himself to be a FATHER. However... a MAGICIAN had sure better be willing to consistently perform magic tricks in order to prove himself to be a MAGICIAN.

chinu

chinu
You've got it all wrong in your analogy.

A FATHER does not need to perform magic tricks in order to prove himself to be a FATHER. However... a MAGICIAN had sure better be willing to consistently perform magic tricks in order to prove himself to be a MAGICIAN.
So, why should a father(Creator) bother to be a magician ?

Accepting "God" as creator/father is a way too far more bigger rank than a magician. :)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

The comparison with the magician makes absolutely zero sense.

As his kid, I'ld know he is my father whether he does magic tricks or not. I'ld accept him as my father by him being present and acting like a father.
And even if I didn't accept him as my father, at least he'ld demonstrably exist.

chinu

chinu
I'ld accept him as my father by him being present and acting like a father.
And even if I didn't accept him as my father, at least he'ld demonstrably exist.
He's NOT only your father, He's the father to all creatures, including some invisible creatures that you don't see with your physical eyes. :)