• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why religion?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't do religion but i understand it can give believers comfort and a sense of belonging.

Welcome to RF, sit back, relax and enjoy the cake

3291372281_d72ef5e24f_b.jpg

The staff canteen will be open later in the day.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Is religion important? Why do people follow it?
Welcome to the forums. :)
If it is important to God, then it is important.
Worship is important to God. The Bible says...
"...the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him. God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.” (John 4:23, 24)
James 1:27 - The form of worship (religion) that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Is religion important?
Yes. Even for those who identify as agnostic or atheist because it is something that affects the world in which we live (in terms of laws, culture et al).

Why do people follow it?

I'm not sure I'd say I'm a follower. Other than that, I would say that it can provide a basis for developing our awareness of reality, in order to express this naturally in our living. Ultimate reality cannot be put into words of course, which is a bloody handy get out card and makes you wonder about my near 8000 posts here.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I'm a pagan and in my religion it's ok to say I don't know. Whereas in a lot of religions they have strict guidelines, and create their own ultimate answers.

I will agree that there is a primal force behind reality. And also intellect is apart of nature. Intellect is eternal. I hold that as true.

Religion offers a goal and a purpose greater than any one individual. Religion says I'm important to existence eternal. It infuses one with higher hopes and motivations. It changes one's attitude toward living.

If the religion has any truth value, other than me being convinced it's true without being true, then it should empower us to be better people.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Thanks. Do you think certain concepts could have been borrowed from Buddhism? Not saying that's the case, but have you ever looked into that possibility?
There is always a posability, without me knowing it for sure :) I know that some sufi masters had contact with Baha`i followers, so there might have been sufis who were seeing value in buddhist texts too

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
LOL. Do you do stand up comedy by any chance. Your humor just blows the roof off the house. LOL.

And spend two to three hours a day on my feet? Are you kidding??!

I don't do "ups." Pushups, sit-ups, pull-ups, stand-up...not for me. I do "downs." I'm holding out I'm holding out for sit-down or lie-down comedy.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
And spend two to three hours a day on my feet? Are you kidding??!

I don't do "ups." Pushups, sit-ups, pull-ups, stand-up...not for me. I do "downs." I'm holding out I'm holding out for sit-down or lie-down comedy.
if you cant do sit ups, how the heck do you get out of bed in the morning :confused: rolling out:oops:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'll have to look into Sufism, but I believe they are all linked. I'll check before I conclude that though. :)

I'm not sure Islam is in here, or linked.

"Kundalini is a Sanscrit term from ancient India that identifies the arising of an energy and consciousness which has been coiled at the base of the spine since birth, and is the source of the life force (pranic energy, chi , bio-energy) that everybody knows. Yogic science suggests that this energy triggered the formation of the child in the womb, and then coils 3 ½ times at the base of the spine to hold the energy field in stasis until we die, when it uncoils and returns to its source.
-----
It is possible to find acknowledgement of this spiritual movement in many yogic and tantric traditions, Tantric Buddhism, Taoism, gnostic mystical tradition and some Native American teachings, and indigenous societies."

- What is Kundalini? — The Kundalini Guide

Bear Wild

Is religion important? Why do people follow it?

I think religion has a place in humans and have presented this before.
Religion was created to
1. help us with dealing with death
2. help with social behavior
3. create a framework to see our connection with the rest of the world.

Bear Wild

I don't do religion but i understand it can give believers comfort and a sense of belonging.

Welcome to RF, sit back, relax and enjoy the cake

View attachment 50510

The staff canteen will be open later in the day.

You know you really should consider being pagan. We love music, dancing, sex, alcohol and have really fun rituals. There are more than enough gods and goddesses to identify with and you can absolutely accept science.

No pressure just and idea.