• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why religion?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But seriously, religion facilitates understanding of one’s nature of their being and the purpose of their existence.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I can only speak for my self, But religion/spirituality to me is very important.
I follow the teaching to awaken the spiritual being within me

You should have said something to me earlier. I would have just gotten you a louder alarm clock. ;)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
For me, it's a humbling experience while at the same time it is an opportunity to interact with the divine. I have always been interested in supernatural topics; when I became religious later in life, it felt natural to me.

TSTS

Mostly just to irritate non-religious folk. ;)

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thank You. :). Question, how do i 'mention' a particular user?

But seriously, religion facilitates understanding of one’s nature of their being and the purpose of their existence.

Do you think religion can do that? Is understanding of one’s nature of their being and the purpose of their existence dependent on following a religion?

I follow the teaching to awaken the spiritual being within me
What religion do you follow?

It gives people structure and guidance as well as a sense of continuity. It's not wasteful in itself. There are so many variables in life,it's ideal for some to have a formula or cheat sheet to learn from.
I didn't say it's wasteful. But the question to ponder is, can the unknown/unknowable be structured? If it can then does it still remain the unknowbale?

For me, it's a humbling experience while at the same time it is an opportunity to interact with the divine. I have always been interested in supernatural topics; when I became religious later in life, it felt natural to me.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It makes sense of many folks' experiences of the world and provides a framework for worship, ritual, community etc. It works better for most folks than unaffiliated spirituality, deism, etc. It's more structured while allowing for spiritual progress within a group.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank You. :). Question, how do i 'mention' a particular user?

Use @ followed by the member's name with no spaces.

Do you think religion can do that? Is understanding of one’s nature of their being and the purpose of their existence dependent on following a religion?
Yes, I think it can. Regarding whether or not it is is dependent upon religion depends on the individual and where they are in their journey.

Sanatana Dharma - The Eternal Law/Duty (Hinduism), Advaita Vedanta philosophy.

MatthewA

I do not really believe in Religion, however do believe it is possible to have a relationship with the Christian God of the Bible, and the Lord Jesus Christ by belief and faith on His life, death, and resurrection.

(Some may disagree, and say that it is impossible, or an improbability) ~ You may choose to not believe.

TSTS

It makes sense of many folks' experiences of the world and provides a framework for worship, ritual, community etc. It works better for most folks than unaffiliated spirituality, deism, etc. It's more structured while allowing for spiritual progress within a group.
Ah, seems like you are saying the same thing as @SalixIncendium . So it's more about fellowship than walking alone to the alone...
thank you @Conscious thoughts and @Secret Chief

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
I'm Jewish. I identify most closely with the Jewish Renewal movement. I belong to two congregations. One is Reconstructionist, the other is Chabad Chassidus. When worshipping alone, I use the Chabad prayer books.