• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why priest are not allowed to get married in christianity?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I trust my doctor, but I don't know him very well.

You should get to know your Doctor and your auto mechanic. At least before you trust them.

Sometimes there's no choice. Sometimes maybe you'll be lucky and get a good one. However by the time you find your trust has been misplaced it'll be too late.

We humans, I think tend to be too trusting especially when it comes to apparent authority. With a Doctor they always recommend getting a second opinion.

AhmadSyahir

I believe firmly in the existence of asexuality as a sexual orientation in human beings, and you can not deny that there have been people all throughout history who did not take on a sex life. I'm not saying anything in force, but some men and women just naturally do not feel that they need a sex life.

That is why I believe you can still be single and live a full life (masturbation should be allowable also in this case; it keeps the sanity, unless one is asexual) without the necessity of having married life, or a partner, girlfriend or boyfriend.

I feel that relationships and marriage in general are overrated and overemphasised to those who chose a single life, which SHOULD also be admirable.

I know that celibacy is not impossible, but it's really and very rare(can also describe as unnatural). We're talking about how 'best' is celibacy in the teaching of Christianity that many priest want to be the 'best'. It's taught to be better than marriage life.

Masturbation can also cause another big problem. It only release a bit of your sexual need but if you face the public with many kind of 'test', it can led you to fornication which led our community to destruction.

AhmadSyahir

Meditation can make one´s sex desires to fade. It is not hard at all even.

(of course if one wishes, meditation can help encourage those same desires :D)

Does Islam doesn´t have fasting as one posible way of spirituality may I ask?

You need to meditate and isolate yourself from the community, but you will not contribute to make your community better. If many people isolate themselves just to practice celibacy, we will not grow.

Fasting is another way but the best way to avoid fornication is to get married.
It's better for those who can't afford to get married to fast.

AhmadSyahir

Priesthood is not considered the "best" status. Christianity broadly says that the "best" status is for each person to carry out his or her perceived calling, which obviously varies. No religion's texts stand on their own without some context, including the scriptures addressing marital state or celibacy. I can't fathom why people still try to insist on the clarity of a single verse or handful of them without researching the culture a little.

I'm not talking about 'priesthood' but i was talking on celibacy is the 'best' status. Priesthood is also a problem for me, but let's save it on another thread.

Somerled32

Traveler~ 2B1ASK1
Protestants took books out of the bible. Thats the only "other bible" there is.

I believe there is an Ethiopian Bible that has some variance compared to the Roman Catholic version, and I'm not sure, but the Coptic Christians could have something slightly different as well.

In regard to the OP, as I understand it, the way the politics of the early church were, land (or any church property for that matter) was to be passed down within the church, and allowing clergy to reproduce or leave widows, etc. would make the question of who would inherent church property a murky area of inquiry, thus Roman Catholic clergy were not allowed to marry or have children to split up any church property after their death.

I know that celibacy is not impossible, but it's really and very rare(can also describe as unnatural). We're talking about how 'best' is celibacy in the teaching of Christianity that many priest want to be the 'best'. It's taught to be better than marriage life.

Masturbation can also cause another big problem. It only release a bit of your sexual need but if you face the public with many kind of 'test', it can led you to fornication which led our community to destruction.

This is why I support the Anglican position on having married clergy versus unmarried clergy. It is the via media, or middle way, in which one person can choose marriage and being a priest, or being celibate and also a priest. Christians merely follow what the Bible says, and it says that if one can not be celibate, it is still also okay to be married.

I do not believe that masturbation causes such; on the contrary, it helps men relieve themselves from anger, lustiness, and reduce tension or stress. I've heard a story where the nurses of a home for the mentally handicapped were having problems with their men being strongly lusty. So the nurses brought these men to a massage parlour and they received both a massage and handjobs, and their angry and lusty behaviour significantly reduced.

Evandr

Stripling Warrior
Is it true that priest is not allowed to get married in christianity? And why?

It's my understanding that the concept of celibacy was instituted by the catholic church to ensure that all the wealth of the priests was left to the church to help finance it's holy wars. Of course that is not going to be the reason cited by the church itself but some things are just too obvious. The idea that one cannot serve God and family is ridiculous, serving your family is serving God. As for Nuns marrying Christ...I don't recall any conditions attached to the commandment to be fruitful.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I'm not talking about 'priesthood' but i was talking on celibacy is the 'best' status. Priesthood is also a problem for me, but let's save it on another thread.

Well, you did say (twice):
If you choose to remain unmarried, you will be exposed to fornication but if you choose to get married, you cannot fulfill the 'best' status of the religion which is try to archive by many priest of Christianity but end up sadly.

Regardless, same goes for celibacy. I grew up in various Christian churches, and attended a Christian Bible university, and no one ever preached that celibacy was best. Rather, the verses were taught as intended only for specific people, and people going into the priesthood are aware of the celibacy requirement. In that context, it's definitely not better for most to remain unmarried. In fact, marriage is a holy sacrament in Catholicism, which is also the same institution that requires priests remain celibate.

Again, the most common Christian teaching is that the "best" status is fulfilling whatever God calls you to do. If people believed Christianity taught celibacy is the holiest or best status, I think the religion wouldn't have many followers.

AhmadSyahir

Well, you did say (twice):

Regardless, same goes for celibacy. I grew up in various Christian churches, and attended a Christian Bible university, and no one ever preached that celibacy was best. Rather, the verses were taught as intended only for specific people, and people going into the priesthood are aware of the celibacy requirement. In that context, it's definitely not better for most to remain unmarried. In fact, marriage is a holy sacrament in Catholicism, which is also the same institution that requires priests remain celibate.

Again, the most common Christian teaching is that the "best" status is fulfilling whatever God calls you to do. If people believed Christianity taught celibacy is the holiest or best status, I think the religion wouldn't have many followers.

I say that most priest choose to be celibate to follow what was literally said in the bible but end up with horrible cases and expulsion from the church. I can't understand why you should defy literal sentence:
1.celibacy better than marriage.
2.married person will have their interest divided.
(*this sentence meant in general in my opinion)

It's not stated in specific from the sentence and if it's specific, that mean that it's personal not universal.

Call? Not again. God have give us choice and have show us the way. Again, it's the matter of choice. If it's call, describe me what call really is?

AhmadSyahir

This is why I support the Anglican position on having married clergy versus unmarried clergy. It is the via media, or middle way, in which one person can choose marriage and being a priest, or being celibate and also a priest. Christians merely follow what the Bible says, and it says that if one can not be celibate, it is still also okay to be married.

I do not believe that masturbation causes such; on the contrary, it helps men relieve themselves from anger, lustiness, and reduce tension or stress. I've heard a story where the nurses of a home for the mentally handicapped were having problems with their men being strongly lusty. So the nurses brought these men to a massage parlour and they received both a massage and handjobs, and their angry and lusty behaviour significantly reduced.

You do know that bible say that celibacy is better than marriage life right? Priest just follow which is better. If many priest get married, what about the word from the bible that stated celibacy is better for man so he will not have his interest divided? Indeed, they got their interest divided because they don't have their need satisfied by remaining unmarried.

Masturbation led to social problem. There's a scientific study that show the real sexual with wife is far more satisfying. This mean, it only cool em' down for a while but trigger them more for something 'real'. It's like sleeping on the small couch. It's easy but will not satisfy you. You feel like want to sleep more but still can't get yourself satisfy.

If you sleep on a bed, you will be satisfy and feel better. Sometimes, you don't even feel like lying on your bad for a while after a long-nice sleep.

Imagine if someone that usually sleep on the couch saw thousand of bad infront of him. Of course they will sleep on them.(especially when the owner of the bed itself offer him to...)

AhmadSyahir

No I do realize it is to be read literally. I also realize one needs to read the whole chapter and understand the option of married and single life in light of the whole chapter and context as well as the Gospel. You lack understanding, either because you do not want to, or because you just refuse to read the whole chapter and read my posts.

The whole chapter stating something that against each other.

Me Myself

Back to my username
You need to meditate and isolate yourself from the community, but you will not contribute to make your community better. If many people isolate themselves just to practice celibacy, we will not grow.

At contrair, meditation has been proved to help in every facet of life. A priest that meditates would potentially be a MUCH better priest.

I personally see praying as "talking to God" and mediation like "Listening to Him". I think there is plenty to learn from God in Meditation, silence, just listening.

Fasting is another way but the best way to avoid fornication is to get married.

Hum... I think you confused the motive of the question.

I asked if fasting was a viable way of spirituality because it is "unatural" for a human who can eat and is hungry, to not eat.

Yet, fasting is a commonly known way of spirituality almost in any religion you might be in. This is because when we "forget" the body with this kind of treatment we focus on the spiritual parts.

Now, we can literaly not live without food, but without sex we can indeed live, so it is not unreasonable to live without sex, and as seen wuith the example of fasting, we can indeed ignore a bodily need to give praise and attention to higher subjects, so votes of abstinence shouldn´t be seen as such an "unatural" thing to do for spirituality.

AhmadSyahir

At contrair, meditation has been proved to help in every facet of life. A priest that meditates would potentially be a MUCH better priest.

I personally see praying as "talking to God" and mediation like "Listening to Him". I think there is plenty to learn from God in Meditation, silence, just listening.

Hum... I think you confused the motive of the question.

I asked if fasting was a viable way of spirituality because it is "unatural" for a human who can eat and is hungry, to not eat.

Yet, fasting is a commonly known way of spirituality almost in any religion you might be in. This is because when we "forget" the body with this kind of treatment we focus on the spiritual parts.

Now, we can literaly not live without food, but without sex we can indeed live, so it is not unreasonable to live without sex, and as seen wuith the example of fasting, we can indeed ignore a bodily need to give praise and attention to higher subjects, so votes of abstinence shouldn´t be seen as such an "unatural" thing to do for spirituality.

Fasting in Islam is not more than from dawn to dusk. In Islam, fasting is not only about 'not to consume food' but also from all thing that will void your fast
such as intercourse and consuming food and drink*there's some subject that can void fast in Islam. It train you to be patience while make you healthy. What make it different from celibacy is that you can still eat at night and dawn. You will not starve to death because Muhammad S.A.W himself and the muslim's troops going to war while they're fasting and they still win the battle. There's also many battle such Battle of Ain Jalut where muslim's defeat the Mongol in fasting month.

Celibacy is the doing of remaining unmarried. You will never be satisfied. Fasting is training to be patience while you still can eat on the night and dawn, but celibacy is remaining unmarried and will never get satisfied.

AhmadSyahir

And with that, I realize you are not going to follow my advice or even try to understand my post.

Nonsense. People who give up is a loser.

What advice?
I heard nonsense about call from you?? If you have to choose, what call you have to wait for?

Many people agree with me that celibacy is 'better' in Christianity according to the bible. But marriage is good, which put celibacy at the first place and marriage life on the second place.

When I ask you if celibacy is unnatural, you answered me with 'yes' but when I ask you if celibacy is better than marriage life, you deny it.

Then, come fornication matter. What led to fornication? Of course by remaining unmarried and some other reasons. Having 'natural' needs unfulfilled is one of the factors. You told me that "for fear of fornication", man should get married. Well, the factor of fornication is the best status in Christianity...is it?

That's confusing enough for me.

But the answer made simple by you. It's call...call? what call??

I'm not making fun of anyone but your answer is weird. This is about choice not about call.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
What advice?
I heard nonsense about call from you?? If you have to choose, what call you have to wait for? .
You do not get to choose. Your either to be a priest or to be married or to be single laymemeber. There is no such thing as a choice in your vocation. If your ment to be married, your not ment to be priest. If your ment to be priest, your not ment to be married.
Why its so hard for you to understand is what I see as nonsense. Its pretty simple.

When I ask you if celibacy is unnatural, you answered me with 'yes' but when I ask you if celibacy is better than marriage life, you deny it..
Um, no. Check page 8. I said Celibacy IS natural.

Then, come fornication matter. What led to fornication? Of course by remaining unmarried and some other reasons. Having 'natural' needs unfulfilled is one of the factors. You told me that "for fear of fornication", man should get married. Well, the factor of fornication is the best status in Christianity...is it?.
NO, I never spoken on fornication and what leads to fornication with you. If I did, you would know that I disagree celibacy leads to fornication. Many people commit fornication because of their weakness. Many people have casual sex and commit adultry, everyday. And not everyone of them are celibate.

That's confusing enough for me. .
I think Katzpur was correct when she said you just do not want to understand.

But the answer made simple by you. It's call...call? what call?? .
Vocation. Everyone has one. How many times shall I repeat this until you get it?

I'm not making fun of anyone but your answer is weird. This is about choice not about call.
I find it weird that you fail to understand such simple concepts. Its like reading Summa Theologica to a 5 year old and expecting him to understand.

AhmadSyahir

You do not get to choose. Your either to be a priest or to be married or to be single laymemeber. There is no such thing as a choice in your vocation. If your ment to be married, your not ment to be priest. If your ment to be priest, your not ment to be married.
Why its so hard for you to understand is what I see as nonsense. Its pretty simple.

Um, no. Check page 8. I said Celibacy IS natural.

NO, I never spoken on fornication and what leads to fornication with you. If I did, you would know that I disagree celibacy leads to fornication. Many people commit fornication because of their weakness. Many people have casual sex and commit adultry, everyday. And not everyone of them are celibate.

I think Katzpur was correct when she said you just do not want to understand.

Vocation. Everyone has one. How many times shall I repeat this until you get it?

I find it weird that you fail to understand such simple concepts. Its like reading Summa Theologica to a 5 year old and expecting him to understand.

I find out that you make this thing harder. What do you have to defend that celibacy is better than marriage life(you haven't answer this up until now)?

The problem rise when you deny the fact.
My fact is: Priest choose to stay single because it's called to be 'better' in the bible.

I want to ask you a question. What do you understand of fornication? What does it mean to you?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I find out that you make this thing harder. What do you have to defend that celibacy is better than marriage life(you haven't answer this up until now)?

The problem rise when you deny the fact.
My fact is: Priest choose to stay single because it's called to be 'better' in the bible.
Where does it say it's better?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I believe the official line of the Catholic Church is that the position is such that an individual should be devoted entirely to God, to have no other focus of such intense love. Because the priest as a man (or woman in other denominations), being imperfect, might love their family more than god which would be blasphemy.

The real reason for this however is more likely to be due to some of the issues that the church has experienced in the past in terms of inheritance when priests have children do the children have the right to the local church when the priest dies, who looks after them if they are orphaned etc. I understand inheritance may well have been an issue for several of the popes who had children (back before it was banned).

Even the Catholics however DO allow priests to marry in some parts of the world and under certain circumstances, such as if a married pastor from one denomination converts, they often allow him to become a priest even though he remains married; just not for their own priests... which is just downright weird.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
If your ment to be married, your not ment to be priest. If your ment to be priest, your not ment to be married.
If you are Latin... if you are a member of one of the numerous Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church, you can have vocations to both priesthood and marriage.