• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why priest are not allowed to get married in christianity?

Me Myself

Back to my username
It is true for catholicism.

One reason of several that I´ve heard is that they must concentrate on their church rather than a family, that they should be more focused on God and their congregation than in a family.

AhmadSyahir

It is true for catholicism.

One reason of several that I´ve heard is that they must concentrate on their church rather than a family, that they should be more focused on God and their congregation than in a family.

I think it is against the nature of human. It's like torturing ourself. I heard a lot of news in the television about child abuse related to the christian priest.

AhmadSyahir

Protestant priests , my former faith, are allowed to marry.
Are Imams allowed to marry?

Ahhh... Atheist. I think Atheist is the number 3 top religion in the world. Is that true? Why did you convert actually?

Imam is human like us. They are also have sexual need like you,me and everyone. So, everyone were allowed to get married and were encourage to.

Last edited:
That's a good question. I guess I decided at one point I could be respectful of others and be content with my life without having to answer to anyone or anything elses judgement. I am responsible for my own behavior and will treat others as I wish to be treated, but will not allow anyone to disturb my life in this exsistance.
Wow! You got me to think about it.

AhmadSyahir

That's a good question. I guess I decided at one point I could be respectful of others and be content with my life without having to answer to anyone or anything elses judgement. I am responsible for my own behavior and will treat others as I wish to be treated, but will not allow anyone to disturb my life in this exsistance.
Wow! You got me to think about it.

I have been watching you in 'Who's online' and I see you stay in the thread for a long time. Tell me, what make you happy? Musics, Movies or other type of entertainment that you can list?

AhmadSyahir

i know the concept of nuns having to be married to god, but I agree with you, how does this effect men in the church?

This is because there's many type of Bible. I heard a christian have a Bible that have something that another Bible don't have. Is it true what I just heard?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
there is nothing in the christian scritpures which says a priest should not marry, or cannot be married.
Many of the apostles of Christ were married men and marriage was something revered as a holy arrangment. The christian scriptures actually warned christians against those who would come and oppose marriage
1Timothy 4:1-3 However, the inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons, 2 by the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, marked in their conscience as with a branding iron; 3 forbidding to marry, commanding to abstain from foods which God created

So it should be clear that christianity does not promote celibacy.

AhmadSyahir

there is nothing in the christian scritpures which says a priest should not marry, or cannot be married.
Many of the apostles of Christ were married men and marriage was something revered as a holy arrangment. The christian scriptures actually warned christians against those who would come and oppose marriage
1Timothy 4:1-3 However, the inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons, 2 by the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, marked in their conscience as with a branding iron; 3 forbidding to marry, commanding to abstain from foods which God created

So it should be clear that christianity does not promote celibacy.

Actually,there is. It's also practise by the christian priest.

I have been watching you in 'Who's online' and I see you stay in the thread for a long time. Tell me, what make you happy? Musics, Movies or other type of entertainment that you can list?

Yeah , I try to give a good answer in my posts and that takes some thought sometimes( plus I suck at typing) and I like to make sure my spelling is correct.
Good communication and making sure my point is correctly conveyed is important to me.
I love all kinds of music, especially music of other cultures. I like all kinds of movies and like to watch films from other cultures as well. It gives you insight as to how other people think and feel. I am fascinated by Japanese culture. I am a collector of science fiction toys and games. I have a huge collection of Star Wars figures I have aquired over many years. That's my hobby.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think it is against the nature of human. It's like torturing ourself. I heard a lot of news in the television about child abuse related to the christian priest.

Enough meditation can end someone´s sexual desires actually.

Of course it can also increase it :D

I say one could be able to be celibate without repression or strain.

Not that I am interested :p

AhmadSyahir

there is?

do you have the scriptures that say priests cannot be married?

wait a second..some say 'yes' and some say 'no'. Don't ask me about christian scripture because i'm not a christian..I just ask about what I've heard about 'priest in christianity cannot get married'.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Well , for something that's not in scriptures, catholic priests have been doing it for a long time.

yes they have, but it wasnt always like that. The New Encyclopædia Britannica says: “A belief that sexual intercourse was defiling and incompatible with holiness emerged [in the professed Christian church] as the dominant motivation for the practice of celibacy.”

In the fourth century, a new rule developed which forbade a married priest from having sexual intercourse the night before celebrating the Eucharist. But later, the church introduced the daily Eucharist, and this meant that priests were forced to abstain from sexual intercourse permanently. This led to marriage being forbidden completely. Celibacy became a requirement for anyone who would be a minister in the church and it was due to the silly rules made about the Eucharist in the 4th century.