• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why or/and how does a language become sacred, or almost "God's language"??

pearl

I don’t think Latin was ever considered a sacred language; but it was the Lingua Franca of Europe for many centuries. The Mass was conducted in Latin in the same way that all scholarly discourse was conducted in Latin, and all academic papers, treatises etc (for example, Isaac Newton’s Principia Mathematica) were published in that language

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. The Trinitarian formula. Latin is the official language of the Church. It is considered a 'dead' language, not given to any change.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes. Tradition. Dont get offended. If you dont like people asking questions you dont have to respond.

Every tom, dick and harry knows its "tradition". But its someone else's language. The question is how did this language become "divine". Prayers are made in that language. Almost the language of God. I think its in the OP.

This applies to many religions. So try not to think of it as an attack on yours.
Offended by what? You had a question and it's been answered, in regards to Christianity. God isn't viewed as having or respecting one language above others in Christianity.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I understand worldwide one could do their prayer in their own language, but why hold on to a language like this?

What do you have to say
Interesting topic

These are a few points that come to mind

I love the Sanskrit recitation of mantras. It's not the language I am "born" with, but after living there for 10 years, daily listening for hours, I just love it. Might be a reason for Indians too, who are even "born" with it

Another reason might be that those in charge kept it that way. It makes them kind of "special", giving them a status maybe

Sai Baba explicitly told the foreigners to sing Bhajans in their own language, and also explained that it's about the language of the heart that really counts.

Better chant from the heart than from the lips alone.

Still, He also said that the Sanskrit language has certain benefits when doing it right

firedragon

Veteran Member
Interesting topic

These are a few points that come to mind

I love the Sanskrit recitation of mantras. It's not the language I am "born" with, but after living there for 10 years, daily listening for hours, I just love it. Might be a reason for Indians too, who are even "born" with it

Another reason might be that those in charge kept it that way. It makes them kind of "special", giving them a status maybe

Sai Baba explicitly told the foreigners to sing Bhajans in their own language, and also explained that it's about the language of the heart that really counts.

Better chant from the heart than from the lips alone.

Still, He also said that the Sanskrit language has certain benefits when doing it right

Oh. Sanskrit is a beautiful language. One of my favourites for some reason. Pali too. So is arabic. I guess all languages are beautiful and it may be reliant upon the eye of the beholder. But we have our biases. And these are my biases. I love these languages.

firedragon

Veteran Member
In case of Sanskrit, it was the victors' language in North-Western India. The indigenous preists learnt it to debate / communicate with the Indo-Aryans priests (VedaVyasa, Valmiki). It was admirably refined from Vedic Sanskrit by Panini (Chhota Lahur, Charsadda, Pakistan, original name Salutara, near the confluence of Rivers Kabul and Indus) between 600-400 BCE. From that time onwards, though the Vedic Gods lost prominence with time because of resistance from indigenous belief, it percolated all over India and became the liturgical language.

Good info.

See, Sanskrit is a language that has become an exclusive language which is not generally spoken. Thus, the recitation sounds fantastic. The rhythm feels divine. And when recited over and over again by a priest it feels like the language that we could use to communicate with God "better", not that God cannot hear other languages. Its almost the protocol.

So what you seem to be saying is that the normal people would value Sanskrit more than lets say Tamil because it is spoken or recited by the elite (In other words). Like the priest, or as you said "the victors".

So sometimes we may deify it through time. Hmm. Good point. But if I misunderstood you please correct me.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
In this discussion what I mean by sacred is in the most basic terms where it is used as a language that is understood by God. There are some languages used by some religions where chanting or making supplications in that particular language has either become a ritual or almost a language that is divine where God listens to you when you use that language.

E.g.

In Buddhism, at least in some of the countries people chant in the Pali language. Like Namo Thassa, Bhagavatho, Arahatho, Samma, Sambuddhassa.

In Islam, predominantly people recite Arabic chants like sentences in mosques and at home though they do acknowledge that praying in any language is fine and God understands everything. But there is a sense of divinity in the arabic language.

In the Catholic Church they say In nomine patris et feeliet spirithus Sankthus. I understand worldwide one could do their prayer in their own language, but why hold on to a language like this?

What do you have to say?
When a prayer or religious verse is recited by millions of people over hundreds of years, the intent and devotion of the people gets embedded in the sound of the prayer. So it does not really matter what language it is in or even the meaning of the verse. The devotees no longer need understand the language. The sound/utterance of the words(as well as the rythm/tune) carries in it the sacredness and power of the prayer or hymn.

firedragon

Veteran Member
When a prayer or religious verse is recited by millions of people over hundreds of years, the intent and devotion of the people gets embedded in the sound of the prayer. So it does not really matter what language it is in or even the meaning of the verse. The devotees no longer need understand the language. The sound/utterance of the words(as well as the rythm/tune) carries in it the sacredness and power of the prayer or hymn.

I am actually not speaking about the power of prayer. In fact, I have no belief in the power of prayer. I am agnostic in that arena. But you could be right.

My question is, how did a language develop to such a divine status in some religions? How did it develop like that? I think @Aupmanyav has given a good analysis in a simple format. Interesting.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Oh. Sanskrit is a beautiful language. One of my favourites for some reason. Pali too. So is arabic. I guess all languages are beautiful and it may be reliant upon the eye of the beholder. But we have our biases. And these are my biases. I love these languages.
I liked the Koran recitation by Mishary Rashid Al Afasy. I've never been to Mekka, but it sounds like "paradise" being in that atmosphere with constantly chanting.

QuestioningMind

In this discussion what I mean by sacred is in the most basic terms where it is used as a language that is understood by God. There are some languages used by some religions where chanting or making supplications in that particular language has either become a ritual or almost a language that is divine where God listens to you when you use that language.

E.g.

In Buddhism, at least in some of the countries people chant in the Pali language. Like Namo Thassa, Bhagavatho, Arahatho, Samma, Sambuddhassa.

In Islam, predominantly people recite Arabic chants like sentences in mosques and at home though they do acknowledge that praying in any language is fine and God understands everything. But there is a sense of divinity in the arabic language.

In the Catholic Church they say In nomine patris et feeliet spirithus Sankthus. I understand worldwide one could do their prayer in their own language, but why hold on to a language like this?

What do you have to say?

Why?: Someone claimed that a language is sacred.

How?: Enough other people agreed that the language is sacred.

Clara Tea

E.g.

What do you have to say?

Some Native American tribes are furious that others have stolen their sacred songs. It isn't just a matter of plagerism, it is a matter of summoning the Gods and that might cause trouble.

In the beginning of the Christian religions, the bible was written in Latin, and only learned priests (and a few others) knew Latin. So, if you want to know God's words, you had to go to a priest. King James VII of Scotland (who became King James I of Great Britain, inheriting the kingdom through his grandmother Margaret Tudor who had married James V of Scotland) had the bible translated for everyone into English. This way, even the common man (if he could read English, and many could) could understand God's words from the bible.

If holy texts were only in the hands of priests, and people were not allowed access to that info, it stands to reason that such words would become known as sacred.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
In this discussion what I mean by sacred is in the most basic terms where it is used as a language that is understood by God. There are some languages used by some religions where chanting or making supplications in that particular language has either become a ritual or almost a language that is divine where God listens to you when you use that language...........What do you have to say?

Since God is also Creator, then any and all languages would be acceptable.
I recall my high school English teacher (in the 60's) said that Hebrew was the most comprehensive language.
In the Bible it would appear that the first language was Hebrew and spoken by the Israelites.

firedragon

Veteran Member
In the beginning of the Christian religions, the bible was written in Latin, and only learned priests (and a few others) knew Latin.

Which translation are you speaking of? Whats the dating and whats the dating method?

This is a bit curious because you said in the beginning of the Christian Religions.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

E.g.

What do you have to say?
I think it shows the link between religion and ritual, attributing personal virtue or emotional satisfaction or the sense of things properly done, to particular acts, ceremonies and forms of words. An analogy might be the idea that a magic spell won't work unless the words are spoken exactly as the formula requires,

And of course in particular contexts prestige can be claimed on the ground of precedent, going right back to antiquity.

As a Latinist rather than a Roman Catholic, I mention that the formula you mention is "in nomine patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti" ("in the name of the father, and the son, and the holy ghost", as you may know).

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

E.g.

What do you have to say?
For the Vedas, it is believed that along with the meaning of the words (which can be translated to some extent), it is the auditory experience of hearing those specific sound structure of the original composition that is critical in opening the door to the divine that is experienced. This latter cannot be translated. In Hinduism, this is not the only means of course...but it was the first of the ways and is held in high esteem.
Further, even when it comes to meaning, Sanskrit has developed and extensive vocabulary with which the doctrines of Hinduism are explained which may not be present in other languages (as an analogy, English and Latin has obtained a huge number of words pertaining to science or Christian theology). So translation becomes cumbersome and tricky to accomplish in other languages where words to describe these things simply do not exist.
Translations are needed. But the original still retains much of its value.

firedragon

Veteran Member
For the Vedas, it is believed that along with the meaning of the words (which can be translated to some extent), it is the auditory experience of hearing those specific sound structure of the original composition that is critical in opening the door to the divine that is experienced. This latter cannot be translated. In Hinduism, this is not the only means of course...but it was the first of the ways and is held in high esteem.
Further, even when it comes to meaning, Sanskrit has developed and extensive vocabulary with which the doctrines of Hinduism are explained which may not be present in other languages (as an analogy, English and Latin has obtained a huge number of words pertaining to science or Christian theology). So translation becomes cumbersome and tricky to accomplish in other languages where words to describe these things simply do not exist.
Translations are needed. But the original still retains much of its value.

I think my OP is not elaborated enough. So you have not understood the question.

Its alright. Just leave it. Thanks for your informative post bTW. peace.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So what you seem to be saying is that the normal people would value Sanskrit more than lets say Tamil because it is spoken or recited by the elite (In other words). Like the priest, or as you said "the victors".
So sometimes we may deify it through time. Hmm. Good point. But if I misunderstood you please correct me.
Languages in South India also are heavily influenced by Sanskrit. Tamils are some exception due to political reasons. Government has declared Kannada, Malayalam, Odia, Sanskrit, Tamil and Telugu, as 'classical languages'.
You understand correctly. In time - deities, rituals and language of the victors became secondary though they were not lost. Indra is an example.