• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why or/and how does a language become sacred, or almost "God's language"??

firedragon

Veteran Member
In this discussion what I mean by sacred is in the most basic terms where it is used as a language that is understood by God. There are some languages used by some religions where chanting or making supplications in that particular language has either become a ritual or almost a language that is divine where God listens to you when you use that language.

E.g.

In Buddhism, at least in some of the countries people chant in the Pali language. Like Namo Thassa, Bhagavatho, Arahatho, Samma, Sambuddhassa.

In Islam, predominantly people recite Arabic chants like sentences in mosques and at home though they do acknowledge that praying in any language is fine and God understands everything. But there is a sense of divinity in the arabic language.

In the Catholic Church they say In nomine patris et feeliet spirithus Sankthus. I understand worldwide one could do their prayer in their own language, but why hold on to a language like this?

What do you have to say?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
In this discussion what I mean by sacred is in the most basic terms where it is used as a language that is understood by God.
So, when we pray quite normally, it is possible our request is not understood by God? that could explain a lot about the actual effectivity pf prayer.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
nomine patris et feeliet spirithus Sankthus
Another possible reason prayers are not answered. Protocol violation. That does not mean anything, since it is not latin nor anything else. What on earth is a spirithus, or a feeliet, for instance?

Ciao

- viole

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It is not something that we can find in every religion.
In Christianity there is no nexus between language and scriptures. You don't have to learn Ancient Greek to be a Christian and to read the Gospels

Last edited:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
In nomine patris et feeliet spirithus Sankthus.
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

I understand worldwide one could do their prayer in their own language, but why hold on to a language like this?
Isn't the weight of venerable tradition enough?

It is not something that we can find in every religion.
Respect for tradition is basic to the religious impulse. For example, you don't need to learn Classical Arabic to be a Muslim. But Islam wouldn't be itself without said Arabic. Likewise, you don't need to learn even a word of Latin to be a Catholic. But to hold that Latin in contempt as some in the Church seem to do is impiety that borders on sinful IMO.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Likewise, you don't need to learn even a word of Latin to be a Catholic. But to hold that Latin in contempt as some in the Church seem to do is impiety that borders on sinful IMO.

I guess the JW who lives next door should learn English, since the Watchtower headquarters are in the United States .
She only speaks Roman dialect.

InvestigateTruth

In this discussion what I mean by sacred is in the most basic terms where it is used as a language that is understood by God. There are some languages used by some religions where chanting or making supplications in that particular language has either become a ritual or almost a language that is divine where God listens to you when you use that language.

E.g.

In Buddhism, at least in some of the countries people chant in the Pali language. Like Namo Thassa, Bhagavatho, Arahatho, Samma, Sambuddhassa.

In Islam, predominantly people recite Arabic chants like sentences in mosques and at home though they do acknowledge that praying in any language is fine and God understands everything. But there is a sense of divinity in the arabic language.

In the Catholic Church they say In nomine patris et feeliet spirithus Sankthus. I understand worldwide one could do their prayer in their own language, but why hold on to a language like this?

What do you have to say?
Honestly I think the reality is there is no sacred language. That's just people's perception.

At least in Bahai Faith it is said, God sends Messengers where the people are the worst, Where on earth, a people need guidance more than anywhere else. Even if a revelation is for the whole earth, God starts it from where people are most misguided. Well in this case, if Muhammad was sent to Arabs, it is not because God thinks Arabic is such a sacred language. Likewise Hebrew and Persian languages are not sacred.
But on the other hand when a believer reads on original language of the Holy scriptures, it has its own good feelings.
But if there is a good translation, it really does not matter what language one reads their sacred books.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I guess the JW who lives next door should learn English, since the Watchtower headquarters are in the United States .
She only speaks Roman dialect.
I mean, being functional in our era's most important language is never a bad thing. My point is that sacred languages develop because tradition is basic to religion. The JWs are a very recent American sect so I would not expect it to have a sacred language.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Honestly I think the reality is there is no sacred language. That's just people's perception.

I think that's the whole point of the OP but thanks for reaffirming it.

At least in Bahai Faith it is said, God sends Messengers where the people are the worst, Where on earth, a people need guidance more than anywhere else. Even if a revelation is for the whole earth, God starts it from where people are most misguided. Well in this case, if Muhammad was sent to Arabs, it is not because God thinks Arabic is such a sacred language. Likewise Hebrew and Persian languages are not sacred.
But on the other hand when a believer reads on original language of the Holy scriptures, it has its own good feelings.
But if there is a good translation, it really does not matter what language one reads their sacred books.

That will go into a linguistic discussion. You should open a new thread on that.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Answering to your question, it has to do with culture and tradition.
I think every language can become sacred, if it acquires cultural prestige and traditional status.

Think about it. How did Latin become Christian? How did Pali become Buddhist? I can see Pali as their original language of their scripture because the original writing was done in Pali. I am talking about the Tipitaka. But that's probably not the language of the Buddha. In Christianity, Latin is not even the language of any book in the Bible. I understand its the Catholic tradition from Rome, but Rome has nothing to with Jesus himself.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Think about it. How did Latin become Christian? How did Pali become Buddhist? I can see Pali as their original language of their scripture because the original writing was done in Pali. I am talking about the Tipitaka. But that's probably not the language of the Buddha. In Christianity, Latin is not even the language of any book in the Bible. I understand its the Catholic tradition from Rome, but Rome has nothing to with Jesus himself.
The reason was already given to you - tradition. Other Christian denominations have their own liturgical languages, such as the various Orthodox churches. It's because those are part of their cultural and ancient religious tradition. It's not because the languages themselves are somehow sacred or holy, or that God pays more attention to you when you worship or pray to Him in those languages. That's not it at all.

RestlessSoul

I don’t think Latin was ever considered a sacred language; but it was the Lingua Franca of Europe for many centuries. The Mass was conducted in Latin in the same way that all scholarly discourse was conducted in Latin, and all academic papers, treatises etc (for example, Isaac Newton’s Principia Mathematica) were published in that language

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Sounds have an impact on people. This is shown by the emotional impact of music as in music therapy. So one answer is that certain chants or mantras have an impact based on their sounds.

But mostly it's habit with one additional point. Implicit magic rituals are part of the picture hearkening back to the distant past. So much of what happens is people trying to make religious magic by use of words.

One additional point. The problem of translation implies that people who are interested in the original meaning of some doctrine or scripture should know the original language of the scriptures (Islamic doctrine that the Quran cannot be translated which also applies to poetry).

firedragon

Veteran Member
The reason was already given to you - tradition. Other Christian denominations have their own liturgical languages, such as the various Orthodox churches. It's because those are part of their cultural and ancient religious tradition. It's not because the languages themselves are somehow sacred or holy, or that God pays more attention to you when you worship or pray to Him in those languages. That's not it at all.

Yes. Tradition. Dont get offended. If you dont like people asking questions you dont have to respond.

Every tom, dick and harry knows its "tradition". But its someone else's language. The question is how did this language become "divine". Prayers are made in that language. Almost the language of God. I think its in the OP.

This applies to many religions. So try not to think of it as an attack on yours.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Catholicism is a universal Church.
It has no official language since the Mass is performed in any language of the world.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What do you have to say?
In case of Sanskrit, it was the victors' language in North-Western India. The indigenous preists learnt it to debate / communicate with the Indo-Aryans priests (VedaVyasa, Valmiki). It was admirably refined from Vedic Sanskrit by Panini (Chhota Lahur, Charsadda, Pakistan, original name Salutara, near the confluence of Rivers Kabul and Indus) between 600-400 BCE. From that time onwards, though the Vedic Gods lost prominence with time because of resistance from indigenous belief, it percolated all over India and became the liturgical language.