• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why not a God like in "Minority Report"?

Beaudreaux

By in my world, vultures and humans are both equally important.
This is a bold statement, but one I find very hard to believe. If you saw a vulture getting ready to finish me off, you wouldn't kill it? Do you eat meat? Isn't the cow/chicken/fish just as important as you?
Thanks for the invitation but it's legally impossible for me to be raped.
Ever seen Oz? If you've got openings, you can be raped.

GiantHouseKey

This is a bold statement, but one I find very hard to believe. If you saw a vulture getting ready to finish me off, you wouldn't kill it?
I don't know you, I might hate you so much as to let him.
Just joking. In seriousness, it goes against a basic instinct to help others in need. Similarly, if I saw a helpless vulture being killed by you for no reason, and I could help save him I would. Only the fact that I don't believe in killing anything without subjective reason that would prevent me from killing you as well.
Believe that or not, it is the case.
Do you eat meat? Isn't the cow/chicken/fish just as important as you?
Base Sentience. We are subjectively important but objectively we are nothing. If you ever have something of sentimental value I would most likely find it worthless whilst the same would not be true for you.
If Vultures, to use our famous example, were to have the same Base Sentience as us, I doubt they would consider members of our species to be somehow 'above' them. It's just subjective. Universally, all life is of equal importance: None.

Ever seen Oz? If you've got openings, you can be raped.
Hahahahaha. You try convincing a jury that SHE raped me ;) Either way, the chances of it happening is slim-to-none.

GhK.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
This is a bold statement, but one I find very hard to believe.
I won't attempt to speak for GHK, but my theology says the same thing.

If you saw a vulture getting ready to finish me off, you wouldn't kill it?
Of course I would. This is a prime example of what I call "living on the ground." To God, the vulture's life is just as precious as yours. God/ nature does favor either outcome. However, as a non-sociopathic human, I have to. And this, too, is sacred.

Do you eat meat? Isn't the cow/chicken/fish just as important as you?
Yes, I do. To God, not to me.

Beaudreaux

OK, so we've pretty much ganged up on the ludicrous notion that rape is sometimes a good thing. If I can direct us back to the OP...

A man, of his own free will, decides he's going to rape a woman. The moment before he puts that choice into action, God could stop him. If He did:
  • He would not be abridging the man's free will. The man was free to make that heinous decision.
  • He would be protecting the free will of the victim since, by definition, no one "chooses" to be raped.
  • He would be preventing human suffering.
If He did not:
  • He would be standing by and watching a horrible atrocity being commited while being fully capable of stopping it.
Since God clearly does not stop rapes, and clearly He could do so without abridging free will, what can we say about God? I think it's clear that the kindest thing we can say about Him is that He's not a very nice person...
Ony DallasApple has tried to answer this, the central question of this thread, and her answer was basically "I don't know." Is there anyone else out there interested in defending God, or should I just let this slip down the thread list? :)