• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why join a religion?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh. I thought you were asking for someones personal view, not every other "religious practitioners view". And I didnt just say two words "authentic path". I gave an explanation, though small. But anyway, just to clarify, were you asking for every other religious persons shared view or an individuals personal view? Maybe I misread your OP.

Your statements remind me of "I ask a question, but dont answer because I have an agenda".

Its called a trick question.

Im sorry I even responded.

I didn’t intend to offend you. Sorry if I have.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Have a question: FD: Are there any promises that are made to you by following your own religion founded upon?

Yes. I was promised in the scripture there is one deity. There is only one thing in this whole universe that is divine. Nothing else id divine. There is nothing divine other than God. :)

MatthewA

So unto which authority or church leaders are those promise made, and is this universally agreed to as being part of the Christian religion? Or is it just your denomination's, or your personal interpretation?

These are promises from God to the believer; the only mediator between God and Man is the Son of God; Christ Jesus.

There is no one in authority (Yet only God ~ Also the police/governments that are in the world they do represent Worldly Authority)when it comes down to making any religious demands on anyone when it comes to being able to look and read the bible and think, question, and seek for the truth of what is being presented to any person that is seeking. (It takes a long time and it has took 5 years for God to get me to this point.)

There is so many things I could say but trying to keep it short and simple, Vinyaka.

MatthewA

My experiences concern mainly Christianity and the Baha’i Faith. People I know who have become Christians do so because they believe in Jesus. Baha’is similarly believe in Bahá’u’lláh. They both recognise being part of a faith community is an important aspect of their devotion. Ironically the biggest challenge for Christians is other Christians. The biggest challenge for Baha’is is other Baha’is.

I do not know Baha. I do understanding the problem you are talking about between C & C (There are Christians who bicker back and forth on this other website that is used, I been there too though bickering and fighting still do sometimes), and possibly Baha. Baha.

So there is no pros and cons on joining religion it seems. So where do you stand now as far as religion or whatever it is you believe now today?

Yes. I was promised in the scripture there is one deity. There is only one thing in this whole universe that is divine. Nothing else id divine. There is nothing divine other than God. :)

Ok. Thank you for sharing, FD.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
These are promises from God to the believer; the only mediator between God and Man is the Son of God; Christ Jesus.

There is no one in authority (Yet only God ~ Also the police/governments that are in the world they do represent Worldly Authority)when it comes down to making any religious demands on anyone when it comes to being able to look and read the bible and think, question, and seek for the truth of what is being presented to any person that is seeking. (It takes a long time and it has took 5 years for God to get me to this point.)

There is so many things I could say but trying to keep it short and simple, Vinyaka.

In essence, other than the marriage vow, vows are to yourself, and between you and God. In my case a publicly declared vow makes it easier to accomplish. But that's psychology more than anything else.

Matthew, I don't follow you at all, but that's fine. It's just the vast difference in paradigms, and nothing of any significance.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I was began my religious journey as a Catholic, due to childhood training; Sunday School. As an adolescent and young adult, a Catholic child becomes Confirmed, which is a ritual of passage to spiritual adulthood.

At that point, One phase of life had ended and a new began. I decided to learn about other religions. This was supported by my Priest, since he knew I was seeking truth and that I had a good moral foundation.

I went from Western to Eastern religions to learn what they had to say. When this ran its course over many years I then changed direction to look at mystical and occult religions, where I experienced many strange experiences. Once I was able to leave my body which was a bizarre hallucination brought about by a form of yoga.

These hard to explain experiences led me to psychology, seeking a scientific explanation of what I had witnessed. This sparked an interest in the collective unconscious mind, which led to my doing unconscious mind experiments on myself. These got quite scary. It was during one scary experience, that I remembered the power of prayer, to sooth anxiety. Prayer gave me a shield. My intellect and experience was my sword. Which brought me back to my roots as a Christian, but with a science and psychology twist.

That’s quite a journey. Thanks for sharing. I’ve had similar negative experiences with the occult that brought me back to my Christian roots.

MatthewA

In essence, other than the marriage vow, vows are to yourself, and between you and God. In my case a publicly declared vow makes it easier to accomplish. But that's psychology more than anything else.

Matthew, I don't follow you at all, but that's fine. It's just the vast difference in paradigms, and nothing of any significance.

So you are saying that those vows you shared earlier are things you practice; To me it is the same thing by practice of belief/faith and receive by faith what is promised from God which is then produced forward in a believers life.

Also to me God is the only Authority ~ Not men in churches or anything like that though they do run their churches and sometimes make demands on people; Am a person of freedom and do not agree with a person being dominating on another persons faith when it comes down to Christianity.

That is alright if you do not understand thank you for your time talking to me though, Vinyaka.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not know Baha. I do understanding the problem you are talking about between C & C (There are Christians who bicker back and forth on this other website that is used, I been there too though bickering and fighting still do sometimes), and possibly Baha. Baha.

So there is no pros and cons on joining religion it seems. So where do you stand now as far as religion or whatever it is you believe now today?

If there were no pros or cons, why would anyone join or leave a religion? You’ve outlined your reasons for being a Christian on this thread and it clearly makes perfect sense for you to have become a Christian and to continue on that path. Do you believe Jesus is the only way to God?

MatthewA

If there were no pros or cons, why would anyone join or leave a religion? You’ve outlined your reasons for being a Christian on this thread and it clearly makes perfect sense for you to have become a Christian and to continue on that path. Do you believe Jesus is the only way to God?

I believe what Jesus Christ says about the only way to the Father. John 14:6; yes.

Adrian
There are pros and cons to the Christian religion.

Haha, Imagine going to a church for a little while, then you decide to join, and sign a slip and have to do whatever the church demands! That is not good at all, the reason why these things happen is because of us human beings.

As human beings it is nice to be in a place of power; and for the most part someone in a church who pastors over it will have the most power when it comes to that critque; do you believe people can abuse the 'Authority they might believe they have over that congregation ; even by hardly using the bible and using hand off speech and what that man might think or believe with out using the bible?

A person might come into a church that is actually a cult; then have abuse that goes in and through that church even using the bible to justify whatever it is for the person doing whatever it is they decide to do being mentally abusive, even the point of killing the followers of the man in the first place.

It is one of the many reasons why to me it is important to stress for people to be encouraged to go and read the bible, and see what is really being said but like stated before our flesh actually hates anything that has to do with faith; and hearing about the word of God is what produces faith. (Romans 10:17)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe what Jesus Christ says about the only way to the Father. John 14:6; yes.

Adrian
There are pros and cons to the Christian religion.

Haha, Imagine going to a church for a little while, then you decide to join, and sign a slip and have to do whatever the church demands! That is not good at all, the reason why these things happen is because of us human beings.

As human beings it is nice to be in a place of power; and for the most part someone in a church who pastors over it will have the most power when it comes to that critque; do you believe people can abuse the 'Authority they might believe they have over that congregation ; even by hardly using the bible and using hand off speech and what that man might think or believe with out using the bible?

A person might come into a church that is actually a cult; then have abuse that goes in and through that church even using the bible to justify whatever it is for the person doing whatever it is they decide to do being mentally abusive, even the point of killing the followers of the man in the first place.

It is one of the many reasons why to me it is important to stress for people to be encouraged to go and read the bible, and see what is really being said but like stated before our flesh actually hates anything that has to do with faith; and hearing about the word of God is what produces faith. (Romans 10:17)

There are definitely churches that are cult like.

I’m often in contact with Christian ministers of religion. One recently commented how she saw her role to helping her parishioners find a theology that worked for them. She wasn’t in the business of telling people what to think or believe.

I interpret John 14:6 as Jesus reminding His Disciples (all Jewish) that He was the promised One mentioned in the Tanakh whose advent the Jewish people were awaiting. I can’t see how it would have anything to do with other religions, Buddhism, Hinduism or Islam for example.

That is an excellent example of how a Christian might be repelled by Christianity of course. One Christian insists John 14:6 means what you believe it means and there is no other way to see. Those Christians even go as far as claiming if you don’t believe John 14:6 refers to the exclusive claims of Christ, then you’ve not really a Christian. I personally wouldn’t want to be part of a congregation who believed that.

MatthewA

This is the thing though Adrian009,

If you were standing here beside me and I asked you; do you believe John 14: 6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

And your answer is no.

Jesus Christ being the truth, the way, and the life is and objective truth not a subjective truth in the bible and is the Core of Christianity. ~ That He came, died, and was risen again by God and those who believe in the heart shall be saved - to the kingdom of God.

Regardless of how you see it reminding of the disciples; is what Jesus Christ saying the truth or not and it has to be your decision if a person says no there are other ways to get to God - they are not a Christian because they are not following Christian Philosophy.

They willingly reject the truth of the Messiah. That is by their own choice, and it would make that person not a believer.

Especially if they are a person who is confessing that Jesus Christ was never raised again be it spiritual body or a body like mine and yours.

Alot of this has to do with Christian Philosophy.

That is cool you are in contact with other minsters and have friends in that category. I do not haha I am just out here doing whatever, trying to get the good news out and hoping Christ Jesus is helping people understand and helping them in their faith.

Thank you for the polite conversation.

Also have another friend in New York will talk about God and Jesus Christ sometimes with him but He claims he is not a Christian it is okay, we still talk time to time.

It would be ashamed of me to go ahead and agree with and not tell you the truth. Have a good night, @adrian009

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This is the thing though Adrian009,

If you were standing here beside me and I asked you; do you believe John 14: 6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

And your answer is no.

Jesus Christ being the truth, the way, and the life is and objective truth not a subjective truth in the bible and is the Core of Christianity. ~ That He came, died, and was risen again by God and those who believe in the heart shall be saved - to the kingdom of God.

Regardless of how you see it reminding of the disciples; is what Jesus Christ saying the truth or not and it has to be your decision if a person says no there are other ways to get to God - they are not a Christian because they are not following Christian Philosophy.

They willingly reject the truth of the Messiah. That is by their own choice, and it would make that person not a believer.

Especially if they are a person who is confessing that Jesus Christ was never raised again be it spiritual body or a body like mine and yours.

Alot of this has to do with Christian Philosophy.

That is cool you are in contact with other minsters and have friends in that category. I do not haha I am just out here doing whatever, trying to get the good news out and hoping Christ Jesus is helping people understand and helping them in their faith.

Thank you for the polite conversation.

Also have another friend in New York will talk about God and Jesus Christ sometimes with him but He claims he is not a Christian it is okay, we still talk time to time.

It would be ashamed of me to go ahead and agree with and not tell you the truth. Have a good night, @adrian009

I would respectfully disagree with the exclusive interpretation of John 14:6 but also completely respect your right to interpret it as you have. There are many Christians who do not share the exclusive interpretation. Would the difference in approaches to interpretation be a deal breaker as to what church one might join or which to leave?

The problem isn’t so much about John 14:6 but about theology as a whole based on different approaches to biblical study and interpretation. Its one of many challenges for Christianity as a whole through the twenty first century and beyond.

King Phenomenon

Many of us on this forum have made a conscious choice to follow a religion or ideological path that makes sense or appeals to us in some way. It may be the worldview we grew up with and we’ve come to appreciate the beauty and value of our cultural heritage. Sometimes we choose a path that compensates for deficits we perceive in the religion of our ancestors.

For me it was inclusiveness of the Baha’i Faith that compensated for the exclusiveness of Protestant Christianity. So what caused you to choose your path as an adult? Was it what you grew up with? If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?
I was enlightened through real life.

Viker

Häxan
I never wanted to join a religion. I just happened in on something that resembled a religion. I always felt like a religion was a thing not complete. Unfinished.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Many of us on this forum have made a conscious choice to follow a religion or ideological path that makes sense or appeals to us in some way. It may be the worldview we grew up with and we’ve come to appreciate the beauty and value of our cultural heritage. Sometimes we choose a path that compensates for deficits we perceive in the religion of our ancestors.

For me it was inclusiveness of the Baha’i Faith that compensated for the exclusiveness of Protestant Christianity. So what caused you to choose your path as an adult? Was it what you grew up with? If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?
For me it was the growing knowledge that I am not just an individual, but also a member of different groups. Having children made a big difference in how I looked at religion, because I realized that I needed to pass down to my children those things I found important.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who are just quietly spiritual, believing in God and being good and decent people. That's what really matters, isn't it?

But we humans are social animals. Scientific research continues to back up the truth that those involved in religious communities are happier, healthier, have a buffer against anxiety and depression, and live longer lives.

So, I am part of the Jewish people. It's one of my "groups." I am strongly connected with my synagogue. In fact, a bunch of women from sisterhood sent me birthday cards this week. It's the little things like that. Knowing you are not in it alone, but have, well, family.