• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why join a religion?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Some are introverts, while others are extroverts or somewhere in between the extremes

Not just introvert/extrovert in this context though. A person can be very loud and friendly and never mention his faith. In contrast, a quiet shy person, when he speaks, may speak a lot about his faith. It's a diverse humanity we have.
Of course I was talking in the context here, when I said "introvert/extrovert" I meant "in speaking about their faith".

firedragon

Veteran Member
Many of us on this forum have made a conscious choice to follow a religion or ideological path that makes sense or appeals to us in some way. It may be the worldview we grew up with and we’ve come to appreciate the beauty and value of our cultural heritage. Sometimes we choose a path that compensates for deficits we perceive in the religion of our ancestors.

For me it was inclusiveness of the Baha’i Faith that compensated for the exclusiveness of Protestant Christianity. So what caused you to choose your path as an adult? Was it what you grew up with? If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?

Because with all the effort put in research, the theology I follow is authentic, and dates to the prophet mentioned in the scripture of the theology. That was the first and foremost reason. In my eye, every single other theology does not have that authenticity and the source going back to the source.

Thats the baby step.

MatthewA

Growing up found Satanism at a young age of about 13-15 years old round about. Either way,

When it comes to the Christian Faith though Christianity is a religion with many denominations.

Christians can have relationship with God at anytime because they have faith; and believe.

So Idk...

Lot of different background histories here and experiences of life, and wonderances of whatever it is people wonder about, have studied the New Testament for the past 5 years along with someone who helped me understand a lot of the bible through teaching... the bible verse by verse and helping keep everything in context so it can be understood. Along with the greek meaning behind words and things like that.

Being taught in this manner kept me coming back to look and see what God, and the Lord Jesus Christ had to say in the scriptures.

I do not know everyone elses experience, but do know that having a relationship with God of the holy bible requires faith; and most people do not want nothing to do with God, or Jesus Christ of the Bible. Or they just have questions or have been burned by other people whom may have been Christians...

But I cant blame anyone: I hated God for a very long time.

And our flesh hates reading the bible... haha cause the Flesh hates anything contrary to Faith itself.

Here is my teacher: 4 minute video explaining THE Z ; please feel free to check and see what He has to share; and see what you think:
Shawn has helped me a lot through the years to continue in faith, by providing these types of things and other things through the the show called Heart of the Matter on Youtube.

Last edited:

John1.12

Free gift
Many of us on this forum have made a conscious choice to follow a religion or ideological path that makes sense or appeals to us in some way. It may be the worldview we grew up with and we’ve come to appreciate the beauty and value of our cultural heritage. Sometimes we choose a path that compensates for deficits we perceive in the religion of our ancestors.

For me it was inclusiveness of the Baha’i Faith that compensated for the exclusiveness of Protestant Christianity. So what caused you to choose your path as an adult? Was it what you grew up with? If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?
As a Christian, the worst thing a person can do is join a religion.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Sufism was the spirirual teaching that open me up to see better what i had to do spiritually in my life

Sounds really positive. Sufism seems like the best fit for you within Islam given your previous experiences and association with Buddhism. What do you consider that Sufism has that Buddhism doesn’t?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sounds really positive. Sufism seems like the best fit for you within Islam given your previous experiences and association with Buddhism. What do you consider that Sufism has that Buddhism doesn’t?
This may going to sound a little crazy :) But i found a lot of similarities in Sufism and in buddhism, many of the same ways of thinking when it comes to compassion, love toward others, and in the time i have studied sufism it has also dawned on me that we are all looking for the "same" to better our own being. and to undo our past mistakes and faults, to become more like a Buddha or a prophet from within our own being.

So sufism has as i said opened me up from within, to be more open toward others, no matter who they are as person, belief, sexuality and so on.

So even i still do believe Buddhism would have been able to give me this some day....Sufism made it possible to reach those answers so muh faster.

Can it be that my past as a buddhist has a benefit for me as a sufi (mystical teachings) Yes i do belive so.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting way of putting it; 'joining'. I don't know as if I ever joined one, formally. For me, it was always a process of 'becoming', or admitting what I was becoming. Sure, there are some practices here and there an association with a religious title may encourage one to learn, but the true religion is in your heart. The practices are the tools.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting way of putting it; 'joining'. I don't know as if I ever joined one, formally. For me, it was always a process of 'becoming', or admitting what I was becoming. Sure, there are some practices here and there an association with a religious title may encourage one to learn, but the true religion is in your heart. The practices are the tools.

I’m inclined to agree that joining and becoming are two different phenomenon. They could be closely connected as they are for me, or not at all. Being part of a faith community is an essential part of being a Baha’i though I know Baha’is who don’t won’t to be involved in community life. For me, individual and community development are closely linked but some religions are quite focused on individual development with little regard for community. However, I completely agree with your statement that true religion is within our innermost being (heart). What else could result in profound personal and community change?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Because with all the effort put in research, the theology I follow is authentic, and dates to the prophet mentioned in the scripture of the theology. That was the first and foremost reason. In my eye, every single other theology does not have that authenticity and the source going back to the source.

Thats the baby step.

I doubt if too many religious practitioners would share your view that Islam is the only authentic path. It reminds me of how some Christians I know view their faith. However you answer reflects an important reason why many join and stay with a religion, often the one they have grown up with.

Fallen Prophet

I don't see why the burn on Protestant Christians was really necessary in the OP. It would have been perfect without that.

I follow my religion because I believe that it is the most true and correct religion on the Earth.

No matter where we all are or what we believe - we are where we should be - and we all should strive to be the best we can be.

God bless.

MatthewA

Sufism was the spirirual teaching that open me up to see better what i had to do spiritually in my life

Have a question: CT: Are there any promises that are made to you by following your spiritual teaching which is founded upon Sufism?

Thats the baby step.

Have a question: FD: Are there any promises that are made to you by following your own religion founded upon?

To anyone here, are there any promises made to you when you join a certain type of religion? Just curious.

MatthewA

Adrian009,
What are your thoughts on joining a religion?

What are some of the pros and cons if there are any?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Have a question: CT: Are there any promises that are made to you by following your spiritual teaching which is founded upon Sufism?

Have a question: FD: Are there any promises that are made to you by following your own religion founded upon?

To anyone here, are there any promises made to you when you join a certain type of religion? Just curious.
No promises :) It all comes down to how i practice and how i am able to purify my own being from within.
Faith and belief with a lot of inner work on my being

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm under 4 vows. This is for my particular sampradaya, not at all for Hinduism in general. They are:
1) vegetarianism
2) ahimsa (non-violence) in the home
3) tithing (10% of gross)
and 4) loyalty to the lineage, which means not seriously studying other sampradaya teachings, or other religions as a method for personal growth, while I'm in this one.

What about you?

MatthewA

No promises :) It all comes down to how i practice and how i am able to purify my own being from within.
Faith and belief with a lot of inner work on my being

Thank you for being honest Conscious Thoughts: Because earlier had found something that was made by me a few months back which included the promises of God (of the Holy Bible). May share with this man Vinyaka, below.

I'm under 4 vows. This is for my particular sampradaya, not at all for Hinduism in general. They are:
1) vegetarianism
and 4) loyalty to the lineage, which means not seriously studying other sampradaya teachings, or other religions as a method for personal growth, while I'm in this one.

What about you?

Hello Vinayaka,

Before answering are those promises that you are keeping when it comes down to your own particular sampradaya?

Are these things you must keep in order to practice your religion?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you for being honest Conscious Thoughts: Because earlier had found something that was made by me a few months back which included the promises of God (of the Holy Bible). May share with this man Vinyaka, below.

Hello Vinayaka,

Before answering are those promises that you are keeping when it comes down to your own particular sampradaya?

Are these things you must keep in order to practice your religion?

It's only in my sampradaya. Other sampradaya most likely have other vows, or none. It has nothing to do with Hinduism in general. The vast majority of Hindus are under no vows whatsoever.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I doubt if too many religious practitioners would share your view that Islam is the only authentic path.

Oh. I thought you were asking for someones personal view, not every other "religious practitioners view". And I didnt just say two words "authentic path". I gave an explanation, though small. But anyway, just to clarify, were you asking for every other religious persons shared view or an individuals personal view? Maybe I misread your OP.

It reminds me of how some Christians I know view their faith. However you answer reflects an important reason why many join and stay with a religion, often the one they have grown up with.

Your statements remind me of "I ask a question, but dont answer because I have an agenda".

Its called a trick question.

Im sorry I even responded.

MatthewA

1) vegetarianism

What about you?

The only thing that is required for me to do is have faith/believe in God, and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ of the Christian Bible.

(Progression of faith ; creates a person to be more Christ like) ~ which is having to with spiritual things, and living by the spirit given from God.)

There are promises though that are given to a believer that are found in the context of the Christian bible.

Here is a look at some of the promises of God from the holy bible.

The Promises of God provide freely through faith,

1 Relationship with God and the Lord Jesus Christ,

2 Resurrection from the dead,

3 Peace with God being justified by Faith

4 You have the right to an inheritance in partaking and sharing in God's kingdom now (on earth) and by faith you become a Child of God, and may progress in your walk of faith by the spirit and become a fully grown Son or Daughter of God.

5You are promised that God will never leave you or forsake you.

6You are promised that you can have a prayerful relationship with God who loves and cares about everything going on in your life, and desires for yuo to cast your worries and burdens on Him

7You are promised that freedom of the bondage of sin, and to have the ability to overcome temptations that may plague your life by going to God, who will show you a way out by and through praying.

8You are promised a renewed mind and a renewed heart by God,

9Also you are promised to have deliverance from darkness, and to be transferred into the Kingdom of God's Son - from darkness to light.

10 You are also forgiven of your sins, past/Present/Future; and you have freedom of Christ in you but you are not to use that to Sin willfully but instead live by the spirit -> For when someone loves God they will turn their will towards Him rather than their own self-will to serve themselves.

11 You are promised if you live by the spirit to have kindness, joy, peace, forgiveness, mercy, by and through faith.

People can believe this or not but always check the bible to make sure what is said here is true. Am about the truth, especially when it comes to Jesus Christ and the truth that he brings to the table.

Do not believe people can be perfect in the sense of making their flesh perfect. Though do believe people can be mature in the Christian faith by growing in knowledge of God and Jesus Christ `~ But it is a subjective topic, and objective truth when it comes to Christian Philosophy.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The only thing that is required for me to do is have faith/believe in God, and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ of the Christian Bible.

(Progression of faith ; creates a person to be more Christ like) ~ which is having to with spiritual things, and living by the spirit given from God.)

There are promises though that are given to a believer that are found in the context of the Christian bible.

So unto which authority or church leaders are those promise made, and is this universally agreed to as being part of the Christian religion? Or is it just your denomination's, or your personal interpretation?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Adrian009,
What are your thoughts on joining a religion?

What are some of the pros and cons if there are any?

My experiences concern mainly Christianity and the Baha’i Faith. People I know who have become Christians do so because they believe in Jesus. Baha’is similarly believe in Bahá’u’lláh. They both recognise being part of a faith community is an important aspect of their devotion. Ironically the biggest challenge for Christians is other Christians. The biggest challenge for Baha’is is other Baha’is.