• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why join a religion?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Many of us on this forum have made a conscious choice to follow a religion or ideological path that makes sense or appeals to us in some way. It may be the worldview we grew up with and we’ve come to appreciate the beauty and value of our cultural heritage. Sometimes we choose a path that compensates for deficits we perceive in the religion of our ancestors.

For me it was inclusiveness of the Baha’i Faith that compensated for the exclusiveness of Protestant Christianity. So what caused you to choose your path as an adult? Was it what you grew up with? If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
So what caused you to choose your path as an adult?
I chose my path because The Simulation revealed itself to me :D

Was it what you grew up with? If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?
My upbringing did not include religion at all

Although I was christened as a child, but as far as I'm concerned that means nothing to me

And I'm pretty sure it means nothing to God either, although I got baptised as an adult

And apart from that I had a non-religious upbringing

So the first path I walked was Atheism

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Many of us on this forum have made a conscious choice to follow a religion or ideological path that makes sense or appeals to us in some way. It may be the worldview we grew up with and we’ve come to appreciate the beauty and value of our cultural heritage. Sometimes we choose a path that compensates for deficits we perceive in the religion of our ancestors.

For me it was inclusiveness of the Baha’i Faith that compensated for the exclusiveness of Protestant Christianity. So what caused you to choose your path as an adult? Was it what you grew up with? If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?
Sufism was the spirirual teaching that open me up to see better what i had to do spiritually in my life

wellwisher

I was began my religious journey as a Catholic, due to childhood training; Sunday School. As an adolescent and young adult, a Catholic child becomes Confirmed, which is a ritual of passage to spiritual adulthood.

At that point, One phase of life had ended and a new began. I decided to learn about other religions. This was supported by my Priest, since he knew I was seeking truth and that I had a good moral foundation.

I went from Western to Eastern religions to learn what they had to say. When this ran its course over many years I then changed direction to look at mystical and occult religions, where I experienced many strange experiences. Once I was able to leave my body which was a bizarre hallucination brought about by a form of yoga.

These hard to explain experiences led me to psychology, seeking a scientific explanation of what I had witnessed. This sparked an interest in the collective unconscious mind, which led to my doing unconscious mind experiments on myself. These got quite scary. It was during one scary experience, that I remembered the power of prayer, to sooth anxiety. Prayer gave me a shield. My intellect and experience was my sword. Which brought me back to my roots as a Christian, but with a science and psychology twist.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So what caused you to choose your path as an adult? Was it what you grew up with?

I chose the path I currently walk to gain a better understanding of my experiences. It was not the path I grew up with. I was raised Catholic.

If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?

An improvement for me, yes. My initial path didn't align with my views and understandings, and I understood at a young age that it was an obstacle in my development and journey to my ultimate goal.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Ideally, I'd choose a path that aligns with my experiences, people are helpful in challenging and advancing me to a next level of understanding, lets me challenge myself, very resourceful and encourages personal devotion. It must align with my experience in a way they are not beliefs but knowledge I live regardless if I'm in that said religion or not.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Siva beckoned, out of the blue. If I'm walking in a desert, practically dying from dehydration, and some Being shows up with a glass of water, gives it to me, and then says, 'Follow me', I'll likely listen.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
For me it was inclusiveness of the Baha’i Faith that compensated for the exclusiveness of Protestant Christianity
This is what I told my mother at age 10, that the exclusiveness feels wrong

So what caused you to choose your path as an adult?
Sai Baba called me, so in a way He choose me, and I felt naturally good with His Teachings. Never doubted His Teachings (could not follow them all at once, but they felt good from the start)

Was it what you grew up with?
No, 180 degree change
If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?
Best what has happened to me in life

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Fraternity. Likely the main reason, the experience itself, and seeing if things were true.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is what I told my mother at age 10, that the exclusiveness feels wrong

Exclusiveness and inclusiveness are interesting subjects, as in the same situation, some people will feel included, while others will feel excluded. For example, if I went to a Sai Center, and folks there knew I wasn't a devotee, some would exclude me. In my case, because I'm a member of Saiva Siddhanta Church, I do get special privileges while visiting the monastery. On more than one occasion, others have asked me why I get access at different times than the public. That's mostly because they don't understand, but accept my explanation.

At the temple I attend here in Canada, we exclude stoners and drunks.

Maybe I'll start a thread.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So what caused you to choose your path as an adult? Was it what you grew up with? If not, did your chosen path seem an improvement?
Yeah, I grew up in it. The biggest influence was my orthodox theist Hindu grandfather. He never denied science - Big Bang, plate tectonics, evolution, etc. I have continued in his line, though I have abandoned theism as I did not find any evidence for things like Gods, soul, reincarnation, heaven, hell, judgment, salvation. I adopted non-duality, which has no space for deities. I am an orthodox atheist Hindu.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I think social benefit also shouldn't be overlooked.

Plenty of small business people depend on the leads they get at church or through their ad in the parish bulletin.

Plenty of churches make a point of visiting and helping regular attendees in times of need. If you get sick or hurt yourself, someone will be there to check on you or do your shopping.

And a religion can create an instant community: if you're, say, a Methodist and you move to a new town, all you need to do is go to your local Methodist church in your new neighbourhood, introduce yourself, and you'll be welcomed in.

Religions are attractive in many ways.

stvdv

Exclusiveness and inclusiveness are interesting subjects, as in the same situation, some people will feel included, while others will feel excluded. For example, if I went to a Sai Center, and folks there knew I wasn't a devotee, some would exclude me. In my case, because I'm a member of Saiva Siddhanta Church, I do get special privileges while visiting the monastery. On more than one occasion, others have asked me why I get access at different times than the public. That's mostly because they don't understand, but accept my explanation.

At the temple I attend here in Canada, we exclude stoners and drunks.

Maybe I'll start a thread.
In my reply I had in mind the exclusiveness that God favors 1 Religion above the others (which some people claim to be the case)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In my reply I had in mind the exclusiveness that God favors 1 Religion above the others (which some people claim to be the case)

Sure. And we would encounter that everywhere as well. Not in everyone, but in some. The mere fact that a group proclaims their guy to be an avatar means this, especially if they also believe there is only one avatar at a time. "You guys have God, but we have God in human form right now."

As soon as 'were different' morphs into a sense of 'better' then you have some degree of exclusivity. But it's all up to the individual, as you probably know.

stvdv

The mere fact that a group proclaims their guy to be an avatar means this, especially if they also believe there is only one avatar at a time. "You guys have God, but we have God in human form right now."
Of course it is special, having lived with an Avatar or having lived when Jesus was on earth and having been fortunate to have met Jesus. The same with teachers I had at school. Some were much better at their job than others, and some were better for me while they were horrible in the eyes of others (or v.v.). So, do you deny that Teachers have no impact whatsoever? I think a Teacher has a major impact on the students

So, I am grateful for having had a great Teacher. But I don't belittle other's Religion or someone else his Teacher, nor am I arrogant having had Sai Baba as Teacher. Some people had another Guru, not Sai Baba, and they are Spiritual more advanced than I am

So, even if you have God Himself as your Teacher, in the end you have to do your own homework. Your teacher won't do it for you

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Of course it is special, having lived with an Avatar or having lived when Jesus was on earth and having been fortunate to have met Jesus. The same with teachers I had at school. Some were much better at their job than others, and some were better for me while they were horrible in the eyes of others (or v.v.). So, do you deny that Teachers have no impact whatsoever? I think a Teacher has a major impact on the students

So, I am grateful for having had a great Teacher. But I don't belittle other's Religion or someone else his Teacher, nor am I arrogant having had Sai Baba as Teacher. Some people had another Guru, not Sai Baba, and they are Spiritual more advanced than I am

So, even if you have God Himself as your Teacher, in the end you have to do your own homework. Your teacher won't do it for you

Strongly depends on the individual adherent. Some are quiet, and others are noisy. (Regarding the specialness of the institution they belong to.) With regard to the Sai organisation, I've met people who I found out were Sai people within the first 5 minutes of being introduced, and others who I didn't find out until I attended their funeral.

stvdv

Strongly depends on the individual adherent. Some are quiet, and others are noisy. (Regarding the specialness of the institution they belong to.) With regard to the Sai organisation, I've met people who I found out were Sai people within the first 5 minutes of being introduced, and others who I didn't find out until I attended their funeral.
OF course, that is natural. Not all people are the same. Some are introverts, while others are extroverts or somewhere in between the extremes

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
OF course, that is natural. Not all people are the same. Some are introverts, while others are extroverts or somewhere in between the extremes

Not just introvert/extrovert in this context though. A person can be very loud and friendly and never mention his faith. In contrast, a quiet shy person, when he speaks, may speak a lot about his faith. It's a diverse humanity we have.