• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jews did not accept Jesus (pbuh)!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It says, "and you shall hang him on a tree"...
It is not how I read it. I understand it means that if a person commits a sin worthy of death and you put him to death and if you put him up......
I do not think it is directions to put him up. I think that history does not show anywhere that it was common to put up everyone who was rightly executed.

Tumah

Veteran Member
It is not how I read it. I understand it means that if a person commits a sin worthy of death and you put him to death and if you put him up......
I do not think it is directions to put him up. I think that history does not show anywhere that it was common to put up everyone who was executed.
Then wouldn't it say, "if a person is killed by the court, don't hang his corpse on a tree"?
The words are very clear and it kind of seems like your're trying to force what you feel it should[/] say into the verse, rather than reading what it does say.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then wouldn't it say, "if a person is killed by the court, don't hang his corpse on a tree"?
The words are very clear and it kind of seems like your're trying to force what you feel it should[/] say into the verse, rather than reading what it does say.
God knows that well meaning people take up local customs. The law to take down the corpse is for the inevitability that it will happen.

then David went and took the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son from the men of Jabesh-gilead, who had stolen them from the open square of Beth-shan, where the Philistines had hanged them on the day the Philistines struck down Saul in Gilboa. He brought up the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son from there, and they gathered the bones of those who had been hanged. They buried the bones of Saul and Jonathan his son in the country of Benjamin in Zela, in the grave of Kish his father; thus they did all that the king commanded, and after that God was moved by prayer for the land.2 Samuel 21:12-14

rosends

I do not think it is directions to put him up. I think that history does not show anywhere that it was common to put up everyone who was rightly executed.
Why is the question how common something is? The verse says "vhumat" (and he is put to death) vtalita (and you will hang him up). There is no conditional "if" word there.

Tumah

Veteran Member
God knows that well meaning people take up local customs. The law to take down the corpse is for the inevitability that it will happen.
But as I said, it doesn't say, "Don't hang corpses". Which would be a command not to hang corpses. So obviously, that's not what G-d doesn't want.
Instead it says, "I want you to hang the body of the person the court killed, for the duration of the day - but not longer, because its not really such a great thing for a person to be hung."

Tumah

Veteran Member
Why is the question how common something is? The verse says "vhumat" (and he is put to death) vtalita (and you will hang him up). There is no conditional "if" word there.
You won't understand until Jesus speaks to you.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

My contention is that to hang him up is not a command of God but has to be mentioned first before the command is written to take him down.

When you have hung up a corpse know that you must take it down before the next day.

What I am saying is that the command to put him up in the first place is assumed imho.

It is like the command of a certificate of divorce. Marriage isn't a command. Right?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am the one who proposed a prayer day for prepositions........and pronouns. Know them right! I say. :D

Tumah

Veteran Member
My contention is that to hang him up is not a command of God but has to be mentioned first before the command is written to take him down.

When you have hung up a corpse know that you must take it down before the next day.

What I am saying is that the command to put him up in the first place is assumed imho.

It is like the command of a certificate of divorce. Marriage isn't a command. Right?
It doesn't say, "when you have hung up a corpse". That phraseology exists (Ex. 30:11) and its not used here.

rosends

Marriage is a mitzvah, but a reshus (not obligatory one)
http://www.torahmusings.com/2011/01/is-marriage-a-mitzvah/

This verse makes the steps clear and unless you interpret, you have to see that the verb "and you shall hang" is giving a command.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Marriage is a mitzvah, but a reshus (not obligatory one)
http://www.torahmusings.com/2011/01/is-marriage-a-mitzvah/

This verse makes the steps clear and unless you interpret, you have to see that the verb "and you shall hang" is giving a command.
The reason I do not agree is that it does not command WHO to hang up except he (or she) who has committed any sin deserving of death is to be hung up. That is a LOT of people and I think we know that a lot of people were not hung up. So? Why not?

rosends

The reason I do not agree is that it does not command WHO to hang up except he (or she) who has committed any sin deserving of death is to be hung up. That is a LOT of people and I think we know that a lot of people were not hung up. So? Why not?
It isn't in the passive. It commands those who kill him to then hang him up. Same verse, same objects of conversation.

Maybe, not that many people were guilty of the particular crime required to be proven to merit stoning and then hanging. The talmud mentions that a court that killed 1 person in 7 years was excessively bloody.

Flankerl

ZAKARIYA and john were also killed by jews because they asked them to obey god

Quite literally: Who?

and not money...

Well well well :)

That's Almighty God who made Adam(pbuh) without man and woman and He created Eve from man (only),so Jesus (pbuh) from woman ONLY, why not ?.

So God had sex with Mary. Thats quite the Christian opinion of a devout Muslim.

So if we conclude that God might have done so, why not more often? Only 3 times? Let me guess its because Jesus is the Messiah.
Boring.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Regarding Deuteronomy 21:22,23, from the JPS Torah Commentary [on] Deuteronomy with commentary by Jeffrey H. Tigay:

[text]​

22. If a man is guilty of a capital offense and is put to death, and you impale him on a stake,
23. you must not let his corpse remain on the stake overnight, but must bury him the same day. For an impaled body is an affront to God: you shall not defile the land that the Lord your God is giving you to posses.​

[commentary]

22. and is put to death and you impale him on a stake

The second phrase refers to exposing the criminal's body after execution, a practice mentioned elsewhere in the Bible. The phrase is literally "hang on a tree" or "on wood" and does not necessarily mean impaling. According to the Mishnah a gibbet (a pole with a horizontal beam) was erected and the dead man's hands were bound and slung over the beam, leaving the ody suspended. The translation "impale on a stake" is based on Assyrian practice. Whatever the exact means, exposure served to degrade the criminal and warn others against similar content, and was perhaps originally intended as well to deprive him of proper burial. See first Comment to verse 23.

The verse does not require hanging the body, but merely reflects the the existence of the practice. It was not necessarily common. In Mesopotamian las it was rare, and both in Israel and Mesopotamia is seems to have beens applied in war more commonly than in criminal cases.​

23. you must not let his corpse remain on the stake overnight, but must bury him the same day

In the Egyptian practice mentioned in Genesis 40:19, the impaled body of the offender is left unburied (as in the Middle Assyrian Laws) and its flesh is eaten by birds. Denial of burial and exposure of the body to predators is often mentioned in the Bible as a grievous curse, perhaps because of the folk belief that the unburied find no rest in the netherworld. The present law forbids extension of the punishment in this way: exposure must not last beyond the day of execution.

The Talmud cites this passage as the basis of the requirement that all persons must be buried on the day of their death unless a delay is necessary for a suitably honorable burial.​