• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the literalness of the Bible so important?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What are the pseudo Christian religions?
They are religions that have the audacity to claim that they believe in Jesus Christ and look to Him for salvation, but that do not meet the qualifications that certain individuals set for what a "real" Christian denomination must be. They're just wannabees, whereas the ones doing the name-calling are the real deal. :rolleyes:

Sky Rivers

From a personal perspective I don’t believe in the resurrection. That he existed, taught what he taught and died? Sure, why not? He died for his beliefs. But we still have evil, suffering and death in this world. We didn’t go back to a lush garden with fruit trees’ branches bending under the weight of so much food, or cheetahs and antelopes frolicking happily. Promise of a better life in ‘paradise’ after this one? Heck, I have that too. I have no proof but I take it on faith.
Why would we return to paradise? Revelation has yet to occur at least in my belief about it.

MJFlores

If we lifted the restrictions of copyright on MCU or Tolkiens Middle Earth and encouraged our greatest artists, authors, philosophers and filmmakers to put in their own two cents imagine what could be created. Or even if we made the copyright limited to a much shorter time.

Interest in superheros is clearly tapping into today's mythic heartbeat. Just witness how many batman and Spiderman reboots there are. Look at the proliferation of vampire stories. Look at how much money is coming into these media franchises.

Clearly the people are thirsty for an experience that only the theater can provide these days. Special effects allow us the sensorially witness miracles and spectacles of God-like majesty. People are seen in the act of willing self-sacrifice for something greater than themselves. Human technology is seen as both problem and solution giving us contexts for understanding the rapid changes we are experiencing faster than the progress of generations can track.

The difference between these literary or entertainment works vs the Bible is:

From the Bible:
You have a UN Member state called Israel - Wikipedia
If the bible is fiction, why is this country using a fictional name?

Maybe it is not fictional after all.

We use AD or CE 2019 - for which even the day we joined in this forum is dated

Why can't we use Fiction?
Why don't we have countries named like Nardia or People's Republic of America?
List of fictional countries - Wikipedia

Why don't we use the year references of other religions or North Korea for example Juche 108 instead of 2019?

I say we can find rest for our souls in the Bible
while we can just find popcorn in Fiction

sealchan

Are you actually saying that the name of a country proves that a story about a person after which that country was named then must be entirely factual?

sealchan

The difference between these literary or entertainment works vs the Bible is:

From the Bible:
You have a UN Member state called Israel - Wikipedia
If the bible is fiction, why is this country using a fictional name?

Maybe it is not fictional after all.

We use AD or CE 2019 - for which even the day we joined in this forum is dated

Why can't we use Fiction?
Why don't we have countries named like Nardia or People's Republic of America?
List of fictional countries - Wikipedia

Why don't we use the year references of other religions or North Korea for example Juche 108 instead of 2019?

I say we can find rest for our souls in the Bible
while we can just find popcorn in Fiction

I can find "rest for our souls" in the Bible without having to believe it is historically factual. Who are you to stand between me and God and deny this?

InChrist

Free4ever
What are the pseudo Christian religions?

From my perspective, puesdo-Christian religions are those which depart from focusing on relationship to the Person of Jesus Christ and the biblical scriptures as the sole revelation of God's Word to humanity. Or groups which deviate, adding to or taking away, from the revealed words of God in the Bible. And from my view this would include any religion, even a "Christian" one or any church/organization which uses the Bible to turn biblical Christianity, which is about an active, living relationship between the Creator and creation, into a religion.

The word religion is only mentioned in the Bible five times and religious two times. All but one of these times it is critical of religion, with the exception of James where it is pointed out that pure religion is caring orphans and widows and remaining unpolluted from the world, which gets back to the aspect relationship with God and others.

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
From my perspective, puesdo-Christian religions are those which depart from one's relationship to the Person of Jesus Christ and the biblical scriptures as the sole revelation of God's Word to humanity.. Or groups which deviate, adding to or taking away, from the revealed words of God in the Bible. And from my view this would include any religion, even a "Christian" one which uses the Bible to turn biblical Christianity, which is about an active, living relationship between the Creator and creation, into a religion.

The word religion is only mentioned in the Bible five times and religious two times. All but one of these times it is critical of religion, with the exception of James where it is pointed out that pure religion is caring orphans and widows and remaining unpolluted from the world, which gets back to relationship with God and others.

Well, 86% of the Bible is about the Hebrews so what does that leave you?

InChrist

Free4ever
Allegorical stories of temptation, loss of innocence, falling from grace abound in all cultures. The morals and lessons are the same, the characters are different.
Yes, there are many allegorical stories in different cultures, with different characters, which share similar morals and lessons. My view is that behind all of these variations is the first Author and the original, factual account, which I believe to be the One who created heaven and earth and Who gave revelation through the biblical scriptures.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would we return to paradise? Revelation has yet to occur at least in my belief about it.

Because Jesus was supposed to have redeemed us and removed the “original sin”. That should have reset the clock. All he said about what became Revelation is that he would return in glory to judge.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, there are many allegorical stories in different cultures, with different characters, which share similar morals and lessons. My view is that behind all of these variations is the first Author and the original, factual account, which I believe to be the One who created heaven and earth and Who gave revelation through the biblical scriptures.

We also say ekam sat viprah bahudha vadanti, “one Truth the sages call by many names”. Not “one name”, but “many names”. The Absolute Truth is one but it is manifest differently. We just don’t say that ours is the only right view.

sealchan

We also say ekam sat viprah bahudha vadanti, “one Truth the sages call by many names”. Not “one name”, but “many names”. The Absolute Truth is one but it is manifest differently. We just don’t say that ours is the only right view.

Then you dont say more than God needs from us IMO.

sooda

Veteran Member
Because Jesus was supposed to have redeemed us and removed the “original sin”. That should have reset the clock. All he said about what became Revelation is that he would return in glory to judge.

Wow.. you hit that nail on the head.

InChrist

Free4ever
Okay, I basically understand what you are saying. Yet, from my perspective, if ultimately there is truth and precisely Absolute Truth, who is a personal Being/ Creator, then of necessity I think it is logical and stands to reason that this Being may only adequately be known with the right view or understanding and knowing His actual, legitimate name and true identity.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Y
Okay, I basically understand what you are saying. Yet, from my perspective, if ultimately there is truth and precisely Absolute Truth, who is a personal Being/ Creator, then of necessity I think it is logical and stands to reason that this Being may only adequately be known with the right view or understanding and knowing His actual, legitimate name and true identity.

And what is that right view? Mine? Yours? And why? How does anyone know?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I find 'we would return to paradise' (as Eden originally was) for the ' healing ' of earth's nations - Revelation 22:2
Mankind will see the return on Earth of the Genesis 'Tree of Life' for the healing of earth's nations -Isaiah 33:24 B.
This is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and bring the healthy benefits of Heaven right here on Earth.
Even ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth under Christ's reign - 1 Corinthians 15:24-25; Isaiah 25:8.
Earth will be a beautiful and healthy paradisical Earth as described in Isaiah 35th chapter.