• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Necromancy forbidden according to your tradition?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Contacting the dead is a big part of my spiritual practices. I've spent all night in cemeteries and it was euphoric...I can't wait till it warms up and can do it again.

I'm saddened to see that this practice is condemned by so many Theists. Why is it forbidden?

thread-necromancy-jpg.1299

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Contacting the dead is a big part of my spiritual practices. I've spent all night in cemeteries and it was euphoric...I can't wait till it warms up and can do it again.

I'm saddened to see that this practice is condemned by so many Theists. Why is it forbidden?

LOL!

It's also condemned by many RFers. But I haven't seen you do it lately!:D:eek::rolleyes:

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I personally do not have a problem with necromancy, as I view physically raising the dead as utter nonsense.

If you are talking about divination through necromancy, I don't believe in that either. Ever wonder why psychics/necromancers never win the freaking lottery? If someone wants to claim that they are a witch/necromancer/psychic/whatever, then more power to them. I just don't buy into that supernatural, hocus pocus stuff.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I personally do not have a problem with necromancy, as I view physically raising the dead as utter nonsense.

If you are talking about divination through necromancy, I don't believe in that either. Ever wonder why psychics/necromancers never win the freaking lottery? If someone wants to claim that they are a witch/necromancer/psychic/whatever, then more power to them. I just don't buy into that supernatural, hocus pocus stuff.
necromancers don't win the lottery because the spirits they are interacting with don't know the lucky numbers...I don't believe in raising the dead. I believe we can communicate with the dead

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
necromancers don't win the lottery because the spirits they are interacting with don't know the lucky numbers...I don't believe in raising the dead. I believe we can communicate with the dead

But is not the objective of necromancy/divination to learn information about the future? That's what I have always seen it explained as.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
But is not the objective of necromancy/divination to learn information about the future? That's what I have always seen it explained as.
sometimes that is the objective...all hopes of getting such info are futile...I don't contact the dead for that information however

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I contact the dead just to have friendship with them and make them happy...there are some dead girls I like to please :)

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
It's interesting that you said you're saddened to see it condemned by so many religions. While I agree somewhat that it's sad to seeing a religion forbid any practice, I don't particularly mind the widespread ban on necromancy. In fact it can be nice sometimes, since it really helps prevent a muddying of the waters. Magic as a whole has been so muddied lately with all the "Wicca new age real witchcraft spells that really work!" type stuff, it's so nice to have a few little corners that aren't very contaminated yet. As necromancy gets more popular (it seems to be, at least), I've noticed that whole Wicca/new age influence start to come in, but it's slow, and I honestly think that as long as some of the big religions keep their bans up, it'll keep enough people out that the traditions, theories, and philosophies can be preserved. In the end I don't really want other people taking up the practice, in an ideal world magic as a whole would be much less popular. When too many people dabble their way in we get muddied traditions, fogged up theories, and we loose some of the seriousness as a whole. On top of that, the last thing I want is for the gods to tire or the spirits to grow angry at all the attention and misuse. I'm much happier if the practice is just left alone for the dedicated to pursue.

Liu

Simple: It isn't. Many of us don't believe it do be possible, though.
It's interesting that you said you're saddened to see it condemned by so many religions. While I agree somewhat that it's sad to seeing a religion forbid any practice, I don't particularly mind the widespread ban on necromancy. In fact it can be nice sometimes, since it really helps prevent a muddying of the waters. Magic as a whole has been so muddied lately with all the "Wicca new age real witchcraft spells that really work!" type stuff, it's so nice to have a few little corners that aren't very contaminated yet. As necromancy gets more popular (it seems to be, at least), I've noticed that whole Wicca/new age influence start to come in, but it's slow, and I honestly think that as long as some of the big religions keep their bans up, it'll keep enough people out that the traditions, theories, and philosophies can be preserved. In the end I don't really want other people taking up the practice, in an ideal world magic as a whole would be much less popular. When too many people dabble their way in we get muddied traditions, fogged up theories, and we loose some of the seriousness as a whole. On top of that, the last thing I want is for the gods to tire or the spirits to grow angry at all the attention and misuse. I'm much happier if the practice is just left alone for the dedicated to pursue.
I'm certainly not as experienced in working with spirits, but I'd rather prefer if magic would be more common - that at least would take away the stigma (seriously, I know no one in real life of whom I would know they'd do any kind of magic, except for praying, and even that isn't common here - but I'm in the closet about it myself, so that may contribute to it).
However, I have a more scientific approach to it anyway, so I doubt that the traditional theories are so perfect and clear as you seem to describe them. If there were more public research done this in the long time wouldn't make the waters muddier, as you say, but would finally show which of the methods actually work.
Also, regarding necromancy at least there must be so many spirits around that it will be hard to make any major amount of them tired of being summoned.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

They dont understand the difference between contact and communication vs submission and worship

They dont believe that the dead are nit dead regardless if they are spirit or spirit in flesh.

Some feel it isnt possible because we would not exist until jesus calls christians

Others believe contacting the dead is contacting people in hell and to those who contact people in heaven, like st mary, they figure why would she talk to that christian given shes in heaven. Why even remember this place...is the inner meaning.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Theoretically it is condemned because Egypt was so violent and pushed a belief in violent gods that spread to other countries. Egypt was all about the dead, death, underworld etc. Such a thing was an evil the world could not sustain.

Milton Platt

Why does it matter what the time of day is when you are in a cemetery?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

It's a common misconception by those who don't practice divination that it is the same thing as fortune telling (telling the future). I know of very few diviners who view it that way. Made a thread about that around here once. Could probably find it if I dig around...