• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is homosexuality a sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lock-e

Because the bible says in numerous places that it is.

And kadzbiz while Leviticus does say homosexuality is a sin, its not the best of examples to use. Some pull the Old testament law excuse, others say it was only for the Jews. The best example against homosexuality is right here in Corinthians...

So you see, the new testament(which is the covenant of christ and written for all the world) condemns homosexuality and groups it with things like prostitution and murder. Therefore there is no excuse for a christian, who should believe the bible is true, can accept homosexuality as morally correct or acceptable.

Actually, thats debateable ..the words "malakoi and arsenokoitai" are the words that are accasinally translated to mean "homosexual", now in days. But you also have to relize that, that translation is missleading, "Makakoi" has been interpreted many ways, In Mathew 11:8 it was translated to mean "Soft" when refering to clothing, ....

In other words, the translation is ...if-y at best

This isn't to say that we should hate gays, we should try to preach the gospel to them and help them see the truth that their sexuality is a lie from Satan that they bought into, a choice, and they can change.

Being Homosexual or Bisexual is not a choice,

People would rairely ever choose to be in a situation where they are constantly rituculed, and shunned against...you cant help who you love, or who your attracted too,

What your basicly telling us to do, is MAKE homosexuals ignor there feelings of love and affection, and be with someone they DONT love ..or even lust after, because it makes you feel better.

I would think God would much prefer people to be with the person they love, after all ... god IS love.

And one more thing, the reason homosexuality is so disliked among christians isn't that we think its a worse sin than anything else, its that people try to make it something to be proud of. That coupled with some government support of it causes it to be a sin that we really can't stand. You don't see liars holding pride parades, hear about "out and proud" thieves, or see bills giving civil rights protecion to prostitutes, so we don't need to take as great a stance on those, because people generally agree those are bad things.

Prostitution nor thieving is somthing your born with, thouse are for the most part choices you can make to become, your comparison is rather ridiculouse in that respect.

And not ALL homosexuals are proud of who they are, they except it, but thet dont go around telling everyone there homosexual, mostly out of fear.

The people that DO go to the parades are there more to support other homosexulas and bisexuals, telling them its ok to be who you are ..so in that respect its more like a black pride parade/event.

I suspect very few "sexual" sins are sins in God's eyes.

For much of civilization they have been "social sins"

I think we are finally coming out of the "Social sins" are "Religious sins era"
We are now coming to a better understanding of human needs and their causes.

If a proclivity is indeed part of our inherited make up... it is God given... so can not be a sin.
If it is simply an unnatural desire then It could be sinful.

This does not mean something is not socially unacceptable.

The judgement on all sins should include...
Is it God Given?
Does it accord with God's law of Love?
Is it harmful to your self or others.?

Nothing inpefect can be attriubited to god. god created us perfect so sin cant be attributed to god. There fore no sin can be god given.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
And one more thing, the reason homosexuality is so disliked among christians isn't that we think its a worse sin than anything else, its that people try to make it something to be proud of. That coupled with some government support of it causes it to be a sin that we really can't stand. You don't see liars holding pride parades, hear about "out and proud" thieves, or see bills giving civil rights protecion to prostitutes, so we don't need to take as great a stance on those, because people generally agree those are bad things.

Are you professing to speak for all Christians here? If so, by what authority? If not, could you define what you mean by "Christian" when you say homosexuality is disliked by Christians?

JayHawes

I dont know if ther question has been answered but here it is:

From Logic:

1) A man is born with a penis, throurgh which semen, comes.

2) A woman is born with a Vagina, to which ova flow

3) They fit, it is their main purpose.

That is how God designed it. However many people just dont know how they are influenced. The rulers of this world wish for you to rebel aginast God. So far they've touched every way of life cuasing millions to rebel doing what is unorthodox. Among these is Homosexuality.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

From Logic:

That is how God designed it. However many people just dont know how they are influenced. The rulers of this world wish for you to rebel aginast God. So far they've touched every way of life causing millions to rebel doing what is unorthodox. Among these is Homosexuality.
Unfortunately for those opposed to homosexuality, this logic does not work.
Because the penis is also a route for the expulsion of waste from the body.
As is the Anus.
They also fit.

As for the penis' main purpose being for sex, again I have to say that this is not logical either.
Though I will admit that I would rather be using it for sex, the fact is that the penis is used more for waste elimination than for sex.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
That's a sin because God says so.

Not good enough. Its like when you do something stupid and your parents shout at you and you reply "But Jimmy told me to do it." If God told you to jump off a bridge would you do it?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
If God told you to jump off a bridge would you do it?
Yep.

Do you have any science to back up that statement? Or are you basing your opinion on whimsy?
It would prbably take me a long time to dig up the articles I read, but the last time I researched the issue the consensus seemed to be that homosexuality had a group of causes including genetics, hormonal influences in the womb, household enviroment, and personal experiences, note it is not understood to be a choice at all, but neither(from my readings, updated information would be accepted) solely pre-natal.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
If God told you to jump off a bridge would you do it?
Yep.

Blind faith is unwise. How do you know they have your best intentions at heart. Faith is a good thing, but it should come with judgment. To blindly follow someone is self deceit and never works out.

I personally feel a God that can not except homosexuals for who they are is a fool, and loses a valuable part of human nature

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I think some people think of it has a sin because there God or Gods tell them it wrong. I remember hearing once that by nature human being are Bisexual. I just tried to look for some info on this but I on;y found thing on [SIZE=-1]Freud. But every thing to him was about sex any way. So I looked up stuff on Bisexual/Homosexual animals. [/SIZE]http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0722_040722_gayanimal.html
http://www.bidstrup.com/sodomy.htm
http://www.news-medical.net/?id=20718
It seem to me that it is natural, and since we human are nothing more then animal in the long run, it natural. Do note that I believe in God/Gods as much as most people here, but I don't think that they would make us the way we are then tell us to change. Here's the thing though, if we where made in God image, and if Homosexuality and Bisexuality are natural, does that make God Homosexual/Bisexual. This is not meant to be mean to any one, this can go for any God of any faith, though I have read that some God in some old culture where intimate with other man. And from some story the Ancient Greece Men where sleeping together, and some times women.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie

From Logic:

Except when they don't fit, for whatever reason. Sometimes the penis is too small, the hymen is too hard to tear, the vagina doesn't produce enough lubrication and makes intercourse very uncomfortable... it's overly simplistic to go "this is a vagina and this is a penis, they fit together."

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Not good enough. Its like when you do something stupid and your parents shout at you and you reply "But Jimmy told me to do it." If God told you to jump off a bridge would you do it?

Yeah.

Although I highly doubt God will ever tell me to jump off a bridge.

And God is a tad bit differant from one of my friends. I don't trust any of my friends the way I trust God. If He wanted me to jump off a bridge, I would know that he had a purpose for it.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
How does God determine what homosexuality is? Is it according to genetics or social roles?

If it's genetics, how does he treat people with androgen insensitivity, abnormal genes, being intersexed, etc?

If it's social roles, how does he treat those whose social role varies in terms of gender?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I suspect that homosexuality is really treated as sin as a throwback to ancient Hebrew theology. Being barren was considered to be a sinful state, too, in the ancient Hebrew world. God's covenant included the promise of two things: 1) land, 2) progeny. Therefore, anything that got in the way of producing progeny (as homosexuality would) was seen as sinful.

Now that we (Christians) live under the new covenant (that does not include the promise of either land or progeny), we (Christians) have no business treating homosexuality as sin.

Haydaman

Monkey In A Suit
This isn't to say that we should hate gays, we should try to preach the gospel to them and help them see the truth that their sexuality is a lie from Satan that they bought into, a choice, and they can change.
Sorry I just got back from laughing so hard, I think a blood vessel just popped.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Not good enough.
I disagree.
To sin is to willingly go against the will/wishes of your God.

Its like when you do something stupid and your parents shout at you and you reply "But Jimmy told me to do it." If God told you to jump off a bridge would you do it?
is Jimmy given the same authority as God?
No.
Therefore your analogy does not fit.

The problem arises when the follower of a deity that says homosexuality is wrong attempts to force the rules of their God upon those who do not follow their God.

Status
Not open for further replies.