• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is homosexuality a sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqualung

Tasty
It's not. It's homosexual sexual relations that are sin. The most obvious religious reason is because they necessarily take place outside of marriage.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Homosexuality is not a sin per se.

Homosexual lust(all lust for one you are not married too) and homosexual acts(all sexual acts outside of marriage) are sins...

kadzbiz

Looks like a sin to me by this -

Leviticus 20:13
" 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Looks like a sin to me by this -

Leviticus 20:13
" 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

I think Leviticus is only expressing common sense here. I myself have always lied to women about different things than what I lie to men about. For instance, I find it unnecessary to lie to men about forgetting our anniversary because they've forgotten it too. While it is almost always necessary to tell a whopper to my female friends about why I've forgotten the date we met.

kadzbiz

I think Leviticus is only expressing common sense here. I myself have always lied to women about different things than what I lie to men about. For instance, I find it unnecessary to lie to men about forgetting our anniversary because they've forgotten it too. While it is almost always necessary to tell a whopper to my female friends about why I've forgotten the date we met.

Um, it's not LIES TO, it's LIES WITH.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I suspect very few "sexual" sins are sins in God's eyes.

For much of civilization they have been "social sins"

I think we are finally coming out of the "Social sins" are "Religious sins era"
We are now coming to a better understanding of human needs and their causes.

If a proclivity is indeed part of our inherited make up... it is God given... so can not be a sin.
If it is simply an unnatural desire then It could be sinful.

This does not mean something is not socially unacceptable.

The judgement on all sins should include...
Is it God Given?
Does it accord with God's law of Love?
Is it harmful to your self or others.?

kadzbiz

....The judgement on all sins should include...
Is it God Given? Seems that it is by Leviticus.
Does it accord with God's law of Love? No sure about that one.
Is it harmful to your self or others.? I think that's a serious issue these days.

Because the bible says in numerous places that it is.

And kadzbiz while Leviticus does say homosexuality is a sin, its not the best of examples to use. Some pull the Old testament law excuse, others say it was only for the Jews. The best example against homosexuality is right here in Corinthians...
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 said:
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexuals nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
So you see, the new testament(which is the covenant of christ and written for all the world) condemns homosexuality and groups it with things like prostitution and murder. Therefore there is no excuse for a christian, who should believe the bible is true, can accept homosexuality as morally correct or acceptable.

This isn't to say that we should hate gays, we should try to preach the gospel to them and help them see the truth that their sexuality is a lie from Satan that they bought into, a choice, and they can change.

And one more thing, the reason homosexuality is so disliked among christians isn't that we think its a worse sin than anything else, its that people try to make it something to be proud of. That coupled with some government support of it causes it to be a sin that we really can't stand. You don't see liars holding pride parades, hear about "out and proud" thieves, or see bills giving civil rights protecion to prostitutes, so we don't need to take as great a stance on those, because people generally agree those are bad things.

Nanda

Polyanna
And one more thing, the reason homosexuality is so disliked among christians isn't that we think its a worse sin than anything else, its that people try to make it something to be proud of. That coupled with some government support of it causes it to be a sin that we really can't stand. You don't see liars holding pride parades, hear about "out and proud" thieves, or see bills giving civil rights protecion to prostitutes, so we don't need to take as great a stance on those, because people generally agree those are bad things.

"Thief" and "prostitute" are occupations, not people. (And prostitution is sanctioned and protected in certain places, like Nevada.) People aren't born thieves or prostitutes.

Hacker

Persoanally, I don't believe homosexuality to be a sin. I believe males/females who are gay are genetically programmed with more of one hormone versus the other. If one is born attracted to the opposite sex, then how could it be their fault? I mean seriously.:eek:

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
This isn't to say that we should hate gays, we should try to preach the gospel to them and help them see the truth that their sexuality is a lie from Satan that they bought into, a choice, and they can change.
So why would you say pretty much every modern psychological organization disagrees with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.