• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is dogma bad?

Do you believe dogma is bad?

• Total voters

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Some traditions within the major world religions have teachings that could be described as dogmas. For our purposes here, let us define "dogma" as follows:

A set of ideas or beliefs that are taught as (and proclaimed as) truths by an authoritative body within a tradition. Followers of that same tradition are expected to accept these teachings, and in some cases it is expected that people outside of the tradition should accept these truths as well.

"Dogma" is a term that has developed negative connotations in some circles. It has come to be regarded as something bad. What I'm curious to explore is why this perception exists. What is it about dogma that you feel is bad? What about dogma might be good?

If there is some other understanding of the term "dogma" that you prefer to use, please include it in your response so we don't misunderstand your angle. I'd encourage thinking about the above framing, though - I deliberately left out some of the more judgmental elements you sometimes see in definitions of dogma to make those of us who have a reflexive "eew... dogma" reaction rethink our conclusions a little bit (and yes, I tend to be one of those). :D

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Interesting question.

I found this quote -

When your self-identity and beliefs merge, differences feel threatening. You are likely to defend your turf, become righteous and angry, and possibly shame or abuse other people who see things differently. When people adopt a belief--be it about religion, politics, sex roles, or whatever--as the one, correct belief, their minds get locked up in a rigid box, and other people with differing beliefs are seen as the enemy. And what do you do to the enemy? Abuse them, shame them, hate them, or even kill them. . . .

Listen to your beliefs, think about how you learned them, and realize that they are not genetic, nor are they the "only way." You are free to acquire new perspectives, to absorb new ideas, and to question everything you were taught to believe. As your mind opens to exploration and change, you'll feel a new lightness and more joy.

Comes from an interesting site -

http://www.livinglifefully.com/beliefs.htm

Namaste

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
To me, dogma = doctrines = teachings = beliefs. It's just that the word "dogma" has the most rigid feel of the four words, while "beliefs" has the most relaxed feel. All of the Abrahamic religions have their dogmas. I see no problem with that unless they infringe on the rights of others.

Last edited:

MD

qualiaphile
Why is dogma bad?
Crusades.jpg

65750535ed0d5715b70827758ed16796.jpg

ISIS-400x225.jpg

Why is dogma good?

9444169_orig.jpg

Apollo+15+Scott+$26+flag.jpg

iho04.jpg

In general dogma is necessary for

header.jpg

Civilizations are built by dogmas, human beings when directed towards some greater truth can produce phenomenal works of art, architecture and innovation. All dogmas rise and fall, to be replaced by other newer dogma which is more fit for the cultural and social circumstances of that civilization. I think strong civilizations need dogmas to thrive, it's a form of societal selection.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Why is dogma bad?
Crusades.jpg

65750535ed0d5715b70827758ed16796.jpg

_70025601_70024467.jpg

Why is dogma good?

9444169_orig.jpg

Buzz_salutes_the_U.S._Flag.jpg

iho04.jpg

In general dogma is necessary for

header.jpg

Civilizations are built by dogmas, human beings when directed towards some greater truth can produce phenomenal works of art, architecture and innovation. All dogmas rise and fall, to be replaced by other newer dogma which is more fit for the cultural and social circumstances of that civilization. I think strong civilizations need dogmas to thrive, it's a form of societal selection.

In most cases it seems dogma is more designed for control, not truth.

MD

qualiaphile
In most cases it seems dogma is more designed for control, not truth.

Yes, but under the right circumstances that control can produce grand work and prosperity for the civilization that utilizes it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
According to the dictionary, "Dogma" is...

1. an official system of principles or tenets concerning faith, morals, behavior, etc., as of a church.
Synonyms: doctrine, teachings, set of beliefs, philosophy.

2. a specific tenet or doctrine authoritatively laid down, as by a church: the dogma of the Assumption;
the recently defined dogma of papal infallibility.
Synonyms: tenet, canon, law.

3. prescribed doctrine proclaimed as unquestionably true by a particular group:
the difficulty of resisting political dogma.

4. a settled or established opinion, belief, or principle:
the classic dogma of objectivity in scientific observation.
Synonyms: conviction, certainty.

I think the word "dogma" is a little bit like the word "sect" in that "sect" is just another word for "religious denomination," but one which, in recent years, has come to be seen in a negative light. Dogma is just another word for "religious teachings," but one which, in recent years, has also come to be seen in a negative light.

Clearly, as most of the preceding posts imply, it has some seriously negative connotations for a lot of people. That seems odd to me. I would use the word in a much more generic and less emotional sense.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A set of ideas or beliefs that are taught as (and proclaimed as) truths by an authoritative body within a tradition. Followers of that same tradition are expected to accept these teachings, and in some cases it is expected that people outside of the tradition should accept these truths as well.

The last part, I disagree with. "In some cases it is expected that people outside of the tradition should accept these truths as well."

I noticed that "people" rather than the dogma itself expect outsiders to accept their Dogma. Dogma, say that of Jesus, he didn't expect outsiders to follow his teachings but expect those with whom already follow his teachings to follow his father. Those who disagreed with him were turned down or discarded rather than persuaded to follow. I don't know about other religions to speak intelligently about them.

Dogma is a set of traditions and practices followed by many religions whether they call it dogma or not. It's the "practice" written or oral that makes up the faith and it's definition of it. Maybe the word practices would be less offensive, I don't know.

"Dogma" is a term that has developed negative connotations in some circles. It has come to be regarded as something bad. What I'm curious to explore is why this perception exists. What is it about dogma that you feel is bad? What about dogma might be good?

I can't speak for myself. edit I can only speak for myself. Dogma has never been a bad word and I always referred to what people call Dogma as traditions and practices that embed and support one's faith and beliefs. I'd assume people see dogma so negatively is because of personal experiences they had with the religion of that dogma. It's an association based on how people indoctrinated others and they have ill feelings of the beliefs itself rather than just the people who forced their beliefs on them. In my opinion, the issue shouldn't be with the dogma. That can't do anything in and of itself. I think the issues people have should be addressed with the people who practice the faith. Hopefully, negative connotations will dissolve when we approach the people abusing the dogma not question and debate the dogma itself.

If there is some other understanding of the term "dogma" that you prefer to use, please include it in your response so we don't misunderstand your angle.

I mostly said it above. I guess to add from my experience dogma supported my former faith. The traditions, written, and oral teachings support the community of followers. Sad, though, people abuse dogma but I can only speak of Christianity. I don't know how about the Quran and the Jewish verson rather than Christian version of the Torah.

I think it has to do with people's personal experiences and attributing their experiences with people and the religion rather than addressing how they feel and see religion from a positive light. Since religion/dogma/traditions are not supposed to make people turn against others and indoctrinate others. That's not the point of spirituality. Many people, in my humble opinion, have it backwards. But I wouldn't blame them since I understand the pressure in my experiences. However, with me, how I dealt with it was have a good heart-to-heart talk with the priest and followers who were willing to listen to opposing views. Even JW was interested in learning about my pagan beliefs and even wanted to look it up. Regardless the motive, it was a genuine gesture.

So a lot of its stereotyping or generalization of different religious groups too.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Simple Definition of dogma
  • : a belief or set of beliefs that is accepted by the members of a group without being questioned or doubted

• : a belief or set of beliefs that is taught by a religious organization
I voted 'Yes (dogma is bad), but there are some good things about it' .

We should question everything but for people who are not well-educated it can help them know their religion's positions.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I understand "dogma" to be a bit more rigid and more intrusive than the OP's definition... but in any case, it is indeed something that I view negatively. It is a rigid form that fills a space where radical accomodation of personal inclinations and circunstances is needed.

I also think it is quite anathema to proper religion - by definition even.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Some traditions within the major world religions have teachings that could be described as dogmas. For our purposes here, let us define "dogma" as follows:

If there is some other understanding of the term "dogma" that you prefer to use, please include it in your response so we don't misunderstand your angle. I'd encourage thinking about the above framing, though - I deliberately left out some of the more judgmental elements you sometimes see in definitions of dogma to make those of us who have a reflexive "eew... dogma" reaction rethink our conclusions a little bit (and yes, I tend to be one of those). :D
Yes the problem with dogma aren't the beliefs themselves but how certain faith based beliefs are expected to be non-negotiable. It makes the skeptic in me throw up red flags. I would agree with the definition where it says followers are expected to accept certain things as truth, thats dogma.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Belief: My ancestors are watching over and protecting me

What we believe

Tradition: My family and family's family, my heritage, and just many native religions in general have a foundation of ancestors being the core of their faith (or to my family god then family) hence why we follow specific practices handed down to us or learned to connect with them. It's an oral and/or written practices handed down.

What we practice

Dogma: Are the actual written or spoken ways we follow our faith. It's the how and the meaning behind how we follow it. It's the meaning and describing the morals behind what we do and relate what we do to understand ourselves, other, and our environment.

Why we practice and how we apply it via our traditions to our life and how we see ourselves, others, and our environment.

Dogma isn't a negative word. I would hope most religions have some form of dogma. Not everyone has traditions. Many do not have concrete beliefs. However, if you don't apply and relate what you practice to yourself, others, and environment, there would be no dogma.

Just people abuse their own dogma by enforcing it on other people who do not wish to share their beliefs. Changing what is written or said will not always change a person's belief and actions. So I don't see why dogma is so negative. It's the people who indoctrinate others not dogma. I mean, think about it. When John says "I don't want to believe in god because god says I will go to hell" does he actually believe in god (the dogma of that religion) for this to be true or is it the people pushing it on him and he is reflecting his ill feelings on the dogma/teachings rather than addressing the people abusing the dogma and giving him the ultimatum without letting him explore what the dogma says itself without others interpretations of such?

Anyway....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
recitals are all fine and good.....up to the point...
when heaven wants to know

What do you believe?
who told you that? and why did you believe it?

if all is well....fine and good...
you and your mentor will carry on

if not....the deception dies with you
and then the angelic will search for your deceiver

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

You definition of dogma seems to be the exact set of tactics I would use to stagnate a culture and make sure new thoughts and ideas are properly repressed.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dogma is bad inasmuch as it's not provisional; not subject to question or examination.
It's bad when it's enforced.
It's bad when It's a prerequisite for acceptance or moral consideration within a status community.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was recently in a discussion in the Evolution vs Creationism area. I said that Dogma was something given by a superior being to an inferior one. By accepting the dogma you indirectly accept your inferiority or the superiority of the giver. It is your choice.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Dogma is something pushed as truth, or the only way or the right way, when it's not. Typically for selfish reasons such as material gain or pride. God is an authoritarian but does not create dogma because God is truth. When evil, haughty, prideful men position themselves between other men and God dogma is created.