• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Biden so afraid of press conferences? Not a single one yet in 50+ days.

Brickjectivity

Yummy Bricks
Staff member
Premium Member
Before trump, how frequent were press conferences?
They were begun (if I recall correctly) by one of the Roosevelt administrations.

Rose Garden - White House Museum

They started holding press conferences in order to stay on better terms with the press and to have better press. They could invite the press members they wanted, etc. I don't remember all the details, but that was when the tradition began. Its not required any more than the pardoning of the turkey.

I think the idea is that if the press is denied any information they start spreading rumors, so the Rose Garden is intended as a kind of control. I'm not sure how good of a control it is, but it does help presidents please the press and make friends in the press.

PureX

Veteran Member
She ought to be president then.
Why? Why do you presume that the president must be able to do all things and be all things to all people? I would much prefer a president that knows he is a man, and is therefor limited and fallible. And so tries to be mindful, and careful not to screw up.

I am not a admirer of Biden. He's a life-long political toady for the rich. And he's way too old to be dealing with the huge and intense problems we are now facing in this country and the world. But since he is the president, I much prefer that he delegate to those who are younger and better equipped to handle some these difficulties, and expend his energy on the most pressing matters; rather than scuffling with the media's many unsavory characters and agendas, or trying to satisfy your endless complaints.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The same Leftist who grilled Trump for 4 years have no desire to question Biden.
The fascinating part of your comment is the unintended irony. The OP of this very thread didn't seem too bothered by the lack of pressers by the previous administration. The point I am trying to make is this bias happens with every new administration. This is nothing new.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think you really want a discussion surrounding presidential tradition, do you? I think giving him the benefit of the doubt would be helpful given the environment he took office in. There are quite a few unprecedented challenges that he is trying to solve. But next time I talk to him, I will let him know Twilight Hue on Religious Forums really wants to hear from him. We will see what happens.
While on the subject of traditional nuances, anyone got the public release of Trump's tax returns yet?

Maybe Biden won't give a traditional press conference untill Trump’s traditional tax returns are finally made public.

Kill two birds with one stone there. Traditional efficiency. Turnabout is fair play after all.

QuestioningMind

It should bother people if they are not informed.

A closed administration is something to be concerned about.

It's an issue of accountability.

What are you afraid you're not being informed about?

What are you convinced the current administration is 'closing' you off from?

What do you think this administration has done thus far that they're refusing to be accountable for?

Twilight Hue

Why? Why do you presume that the president must be able to do all things and be all things to all people? I would much prefer a president that knows he is a man, and is therefor limited and fallible. And so tries to be mindful, and careful not to screw up.

I am not a admirer of Biden. He's a life-long political toady for the rich. And he's way too old to be dealing with the huge and intense problems we are now facing in this country and the world. But since he is the president, I much prefer that he delegate to those who are younger and better equipped to handle some these difficulties, and expend his energy on the most pressing matters; rather than scuffling with the media's many unsavory characters and agendas, or trying to satisfy your endless complaints.
Well I don't disagree that a great leader needs great people surrounding him.

However being a leader, at least a good one requires a commanding presence and high profile.

Call me old fashioned, but I can't remember the last time we had such a man in office since FDR.

Twilight Hue

What are you afraid you're not being informed about?

What are you convinced the current administration is 'closing' you off from?

What do you think this administration has done thus far that they're refusing to be accountable for?
It's not unreasonable to demand accountability on what's going on and to be informed by our public servants to the American people.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the adage of, "Don't worry about a thing, I'll take care of it".

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The same Leftist who grilled Trump for 4 years have no desire to question Biden. Although there has been bipartisan discussion about taking war powers away from him.
I lectured them like I am to you:
You are not his doctor, it is not your place, you only know what we see on camera. It is immoral, unethical, and damaging.
Armchair diagnosing and asserting you know about someone's health is a practice that at it's very best is condemnable and needs to stop.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Silence is considered a virtue:cool:
And after four years of an inflammatory troll who can barely finish a complete, coherent thought without rambling and bragging, the fact I have to actually go look to see what Biden is up to is golden. No embarrassing twits, no openly flaunting and violating top secret information on twitter, and no more getting in front of a camera just to smear and slander someone.
And that one of the controversies was just him apparently standing at the White House door waiting for it to be opened or whatever, that's a good controversy to have. Upset his press secretary is speaking to the press and not him? Wow. I've never lived under such an "absolutely nothing" presidential controversies. If this is as bad as it gets, damn I want Biden for four more years already.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
And after four years of an inflammatory troll who can barely finish a complete, coherent thought without rambling and bragging, the fact I have to actually go look to see what Biden is up to is golden. No embarrassing twits, no openly flaunting and violating top secret information on twitter, and no more getting in front of a camera just to smear and slander someone.
And that one of the controversies was just him apparently standing at the White House door waiting for it to be opened or whatever, that's a good controversy to have. Upset his press secretary is speaking to the press and not him? Wow. I've never lived under such an "absolutely nothing" presidential controversies. If this is as bad as it gets, damn I want Biden for four more years already.
True. After 4 years of hurricane blowing over the world, we all deserve some peace now. The new president seems to know that

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
True. After 4 years of hurricane blowing over the world, we all deserve some peace now. The new president seems to know that
When you think about it, it's been a long time since we've had a plain, average speaker as president. Clinton was a people person and fairly charismatic, Bush Jr. had many and numerous speaking gaffs, Obama had a silver tongue and was a mountain of charisma and wit when he spoke, Trump was the closest we've had to an actual monkey in office, and now we have someone who speaks like they got a C, maybe a low B, in a public speaking course. It's refreshing. He's not really there in our life, he's not dominating media time, he's a bland speaker, he is what Obama said he'd be (someone we can put in the background and forget about him).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I rarely watch press conferences, but as long as information flows freely from government to the press to the people, then an actual "press conference" itself may be rather superfluous. They go into a room with several dozen reporters who are all shouting questions at the same time. The president can't possibly answer everyone's questions, so it seems rather pointless to have them all in there. Just once, I'd like to see one of them act like Arnold Horshack and say "Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!"

Here's a memorable press conference back when Carter was president, hidden behind a spoiler due to R-rated language.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nah. It's not like that.
With Biden, the news isn't dominated with outrageous twits, abrasive and divisive language, it's not disparaging, it's not condemning everything as fake news, and instead of armed militias, neo-Nazis, and Skinheads showing up for his stuff, Biden's victory speech had more families with children present.
Even here on RF the political threads have slowed down now that the president isn't someone with air-thin skin who often taunts and mocks people and tries to issue military orders and tell the world of military positions over twitter.

QuestioningMind

It's not unreasonable to demand accountability on what's going on and to be informed by our public servants to the American people.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the adage of, "Don't worry about a thing, I'll take care of it".

Again, what exactly is it that you think this administration should be taking accountability for that it is not? What is it that you think the president needs to hold a press conference about that his spokespeople aren't addressing?

Colt

6B600D91-2D24-43EB-BCF4-25460BDA21C8.jpeg

Twilight Hue

Again, what exactly is it that you think this administration should be taking accountability for that it is not? What is it that you think the president needs to hold a press conference about that his spokespeople aren't addressing?

Let the spokesperson be president then.

Besides, if you can't figure what's he's doing to warrant a press conference, then he isn’t doing much of a job.

Biden is the leader or is he not?

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Well I don't disagree that a great leader needs great people surrounding him.

However being a leader, at least a good one requires a commanding presence and high profile.

Call me old fashioned, but I can't remember the last time we had such a man in office since FDR.
The rich corporate entities that run everything aren't going to allow that kind of man to ever gain the office. It would pose too much of a threat to their control. We will be having to choose between this toady and that one from now on. Unless we the people finally decide to unite and demand better. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. They've gotten very good at keeping us divided against each other.