• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Hinduism?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Here's a list I found of common untranslatable words.

Non-Translatable Sanskrit words

My God. They have put some of the stupidest English words there to say "not equal to". ;)

The problem with translators is that they want one word for one word. It's dumb.

But, the problem also is if you go to use sentences per word, no book will ever get translated. It's a give and take situation.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
While that is true, there are also a lot of significant differences in meaning that are really not obvious. It may be difficult to find someone to explain the concepts, let alone translate them.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes. Bodhidharma was instrumental in the creation of both Kung Fu and Zen Buddhism.

An admirable person by any measure, even if his existence as such is perhaps questionable.

I never thought of that. I only knew that he took the Indian martial arts to china and taught it to monks there. I mean at least as a legend. I didn't know he taught them Buddhism. Thanks for that information.

Even his name bodhi dharma means the way or philosophy of the bo tree which is completely a Buddhist tradition. So this makes a lot of sense. If he was just a legend, it still makes sense.

firedragon

Veteran Member
YES. Brahman thinks the play/drama and rays of his consciousness play the roles.

We are rays of Brahman under the illusion (Maya) that everything is separate.

Okay. So we are actually separate from Brahman, not his own murti. But we think we are because that's how it appears to us which is a maya. Is that correct?

No wait. I think I misrepresented you. We are NOT separate from Brahman. We are a part of him. The Maya is that we are separate but we are Brahmans Maya. Emanating from Brahman himself. Is that correct?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Okay. So we are actually separate from Brahman, not his own murti. But we think we are because that's how it appears to us which is a maya. Is that correct?

No wait. I think I misrepresented you. We are NOT separate from Brahman. We are a part of him. The Maya is that we are separate but we are Brahmans Maya. Emanating from Brahman himself. Is that correct?
You're correction is correct. We are not separate from Brahman. But Maya gives us the illusion of separation.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You're correction is correct. We are not separate from Brahman. But Maya gives us the illusion of separation.

Amazing george. Thank you. I would like to know more. So I will follow through with what you said with some material I could find.

If you could recommend, please do. A book I mean by a Hindu scholar or something.

Thanks again. This is amazing.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Amazing george. Thank you. I would like to know more. So I will follow through with what you said with some material I could find.

If you could recommend, please do. A book I mean by a Hindu scholar or something.

Thanks again. This is amazing.
Good wishes, my friend. Gosh, there is so much and what will strike a chord with you is impossible to know. I would say search the internet for Advaita and Nondualism and browse and go deeper where you are intrigued.

You can PM me questions at any time.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Good wishes, my friend. Gosh, there is so much and what will strike a chord with you is impossible to know. I would say search the internet for Advaita and Nondualism and browse and go deeper where you are intrigued.

You can PM me questions at any time.

Hmm. So this is the advaita philosophy.

I have some literature on the advaita brother, but I have not studied them. The thing is, searching the internet will lead me to websites of one particular school of thought. But not "YOUR" school of thought. So that's the reason I ask for your own reading material. Do you understand what I mean?

Lets say I speak to one person from the advaita school who says Samkara's philosophy is followed in advaita, someone else will say the advaithins were there before samkaracharya and all advaita is not samkara and all samkara is not advaita. And all advaita are not vedanta and all vedanta are not advaita. :) Each person may have his own profound philosophy and interpretation. Just look at what you said above George. It was fantastic. As far as I remember no one has ever explained things the way you did to me. Do you understand? So there is nothing like directly referencing what you would recommend.

Another philosopher may have another source of information and that may give a bit of a different perspective. That's the value if "vidya". ;)

It's a good life. Thank you so much. And I will take you up on your kind offer. I will PM you for any questions.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is humans who do meditation and each Samadhi, not Brahman. But I do not think the non-existent phase is clear to eve them. Everything has to arise at one time and there should be a reason for arising. So what is it for God or even Brahman, IMHV, the sole constituen of all things in the universe.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Here's a list I found of common untranslatable words.

Non-Translatable Sanskrit words

That's an interesting list. But at least some of the "is not equal to" such as dharma and karma can have closer definitions but not one word ones. Moksha can be translated as "liberation" not "salvation" so the "is not equal to" seems attuned to Christianity rather than strict Sanskrit to English.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
'Sai Babas' of any kind - Puttaparthy or Shirdi, the first two were preachers and the last one a mendicant. So also, the Brahmakumaris. They do not belong to traditional Hinduism.

You're point is one I share - they do not belong to traditional Hinduism which is itself a collection of many ideas. (Shirdi) Sai Baba could be considered closer to Kabir in that both had Hindu and Muslim disciples. Sai Baba apparently spoke in terms of the Quran to his Muslim followers and Hindu sources to those followers.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My God. They have put some of the stupidest English words there to say "not equal to". ;)

The problem with translators is that they want one word for one word. It's dumb.

But, the problem also is if you go to use sentences per word, no book will ever get translated. It's a give and take situation.
But sadly, in interfaith discussions, we have to deal with this kind of silliness.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A tangent. For me as Danish the problem is that some of my texts are in Danish, so I can't even quote them, since they are not translated.
You bring up such an excellent point as to how vast all this linguistic differences really are. Heck there are physical objects and things (like snow) than some languages have no words for. But abstract concepts ... that's gotta be a whole other ball game.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You bring up such an excellent point as to how vast all this linguistic differences really are. Heck there are physical objects and things (like snow) than some languages have no words for. But abstract concepts ... that's gotta be a whole other ball game.

Here is an everyday word that is unique to Danish - hygge. And that isn't even an abstract - it is a feeling.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Here is an everyday word that is unique to Danish - hygge. And that isn't even an abstract - it is a feeling.
I googled ... a beautiful concept . All I know about Denmark came form the children's novel Number the Stars. It sounds like a wonderful country.