• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why fight over religion?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I'd think you'd figure this out.

There are only two Abrahamic religions. Judaism and Christianity. Islam is typically viewed as the third, but uses no part of the Bible or Torah as its scripture, and only claims this by way of trying to set the actual Abrahamic religions at ease.

The Quran talks about the OT often. Have you read it? Also, Baha'i is Abrahamic.

In actual fact, its only claim of connection was through Ishmael. And its book has Abrahamic religious figures, yes, but aside from (ahem, plagiarized) story of Lot, a good portion of the similar characters are distorted. Sometimes offensively.

But it's okay for the Bible to plagiarize previous religions? That's pretty normal in regard to religion

-Jesus btw, is not the Son of God, because "Allah has no son" and their view of the Trinity is a sick and twisted parody that involves Mary as the third part.

Jesus is a prophet in Islam. That's an important role.

Actually, it's just Islam. The two Abrahamic religions don't always like each other, but they can at least somewhat coexist, with Jews inside Jerusalem and Christians among the Gentiles.

Currently, for the most part, but historically Christianity is just as bad or worse than Islam.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Why belong to a religion where people fight, even to death, over doctrine? Any religion worth anything would allow for individual differences because we are not a one-size-fits-all kind of creature. The more I see the two of the four Abrahamic religions fight, the more I am thankful that I no longer belong to any of them. Chill out!

Why debate truth?

Why do some religionists fight with words and truth, and never swords?

Why fight with us by commanding us to chill out, when God commands us to fight at times?

Why do you believe no Abrahamic religions offer "individual differences"?

dfnj

Why belong to a religion where people fight, even to death, over doctrine? Any religion worth anything would allow for individual differences because we are not a one-size-fits-all kind of creature. The more I see the two of the four Abrahamic religions fight, the more I am thankful that I no longer belong to any of them. Chill out!

People fight over religion because they treat their religion like their favorite NFL football team. People worship the words of the Bible like little idols of worship. People are fans of religion. We have fandom. We do not have spirituality. If we had spirituality then the people would not be fighting.

The Middle East is slightly different in that groups of people are fighting because of social conditions caused by abject poverty. The frustrations of poverty are just expressed in the language people know which is religious in nature.

Anyway, keep on chill'in.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is a long movie, but I think it better reflects the participation of Muhammad in the conflicts. This movie was made with Muslim permission in 1976.

i recommend this movie if one wishes to know how Islam was born.

Regards Tony
I have yet to see the movie, but it is worth pointing out that it does not actually depict Muhammad (because that is unacceptable for most (nearly all?) Muslims). The military campaigns, I am told, are inaccurately presented as led by his uncle instead.

Baroodi

The offensive attitudes towards others are triggered by many multiple factors
1) extremism leading to brain wash, delusions and madness
2) racism leading to injustice and nepotism and hence to community unrest
3) political rivalry; a common problem for a long time but more fierce nowadays
4) greed leading to gross injustice revolting and unrest
and last but not least
5)miscommunication
all this 5 factors can fuel the enmity in one conflict as we see now in the problems between the Arabs and the Jews around Palestine

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have yet to see the movie, but it is worth pointing out that it does not actually depict Muhammad (because that is unacceptable for most (nearly all?) Muslims). The military campaigns, I am told, are inaccurately presented as led by his uncle instead.

Yes it is correct that no actor can play the part of a Messenger from God. It would be disrespectful to consider one could.

As to what happened in the time of Muhammad, the simple explanation to me is that it was a Message from God. Whatever Muhammad did or did not do was God's Will. I see Muhammad, like all Messengers, showed us how to unite in a peaceful harmony. All Muslims have that choice.

We live in this age, we have different choices. Baha'u'llah has removed Holy War from the book and shown us how to unite on a global scale. We must think and act globally.

The choice is now ours to make. Peace now and stop the suffering caused by our choices, or allow the disunity to continue, until we get it so wrong that the balance will come in suffering on a planetary scale, yet to be envisioned by many and yet to be witnessed.

Unfortunately I see the time has passed to achieve this without a major world changing event. The league of nations and the United nations have failed to give the required global vision. I have concluded that another body, a parliament of nations, will be formed after an event that will come. I see this body will usher in the foretold Lesser Peace.

Regards Tony

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes it is correct that no actor can play the part of a Messenger from God. It would be disrespectful to consider one could.

Is that your personal stance, or the Bahai one? You are certainly aware that Jesus, who I understand to be one such Messenger according to the Bahais, has been depicted by various actors through the years. I take it that you would rather have not be the case?

As to what happened in the time of Muhammad, the simple explanation to me is that it was a Message from God. Whatever Muhammad did or did not do was God's Will.

I guess that Bahais and Muslims can't very well avoid reaching such a conclusion. All the same, I have a big issue with it.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is that your personal stance, or the Bahai one? You are certainly aware that Jesus, who I understand to be one such Messenger according to the Bahais, has been depicted by various actors through the years. I take it that you would rather have not be the case?

I see it lacks humility and respect to think one could act and portray any Messenger from God. What has happened, has happened.

No one has understood Christ, how can one then Act what they can not understand?

We can have a vision of what it is to submit to what Christ taught and that can be acted.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I guess that Bahais and Muslims can't very well avoid reaching such a conclusion. All the same, I have a big issue with it.

We should all have issues with what men have unjustly done in the name of God and God's Messengers.

We need to do it as a united whole.

Regards Tony

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I see it lacks humility and respect to think one could act and portray any Messenger from God. What has happened, has happened.

No one has understood Christ, how can one then Act what they can not understand?

We can have a vision of what it is to submit to what Christ taught and that can be acted.

Regards Tony
With all due respect, I find that stance a bit misguided, despite all the good intentions.

Of all the conceivable mishandling of any given religious leader's legacy, it seems to me that what is made with the doctrines proper is far more significant than any explicit fictional representations.

Focusing on actors and other forms of, frankly, harmless representations strikes me as a bit arrogant, come to think of it.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
With all due respect, I find that stance a bit misguided, despite all the good intentions.

Of all the conceivable mishandling of any given religious leader's legacy, it seems to me that what is made with the doctrines proper is far more significant than any explicit fictional representations.

Focusing on actors and other forms of, frankly, harmless representations strikes me as a bit arrogant, come to think of it.

Yes one can choose to see it that way, or any way and I thank you for the chat.

Regards Tony

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Why debate truth?

Why do some religionists fight with words and truth, and never swords?

Why fight with us by commanding us to chill out, when God commands us to fight at times?

Why do you believe no Abrahamic religions offer "individual differences"?

Very few religions have never used swords, I don't think. Gods are not real, so if one says to fight, it's okay to ignore the command. The Abrahamics have one large thing in common and that is monotheism, which means "my god or the highway to hell." Polytheists don't care how many or which gods people worship. It's all good.

SkepticalOne

Agree.

You lost me with reference to four Abrahamic religions. I am aware of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. What's the forth?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Very few religions have never used swords, I don't think. Gods are not real, so if one says to fight, it's okay to ignore the command. The Abrahamics have one large thing in common and that is monotheism, which means "my god or the highway to hell." Polytheists don't care how many or which gods people worship. It's all good.

If there are no gods, what happens after death?

Since Jesus rose from the dead, should I trust Him or your philosophy, since you are yet to die?

Milton Platt

Religion is divisive by nature. It always sets up an "us versus them" situation.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Religion is divisive by nature. It always sets up an "us versus them" situation.
I visualize It is a wrong notion,it is the Religion that unites on truth, but the people who don't accept the truth get divided as they want to remain on untruth. Right,please?

Regards
[10:19]وَ یَعۡبُدُوۡنَ مِنۡ دُوۡنِ اللّٰہِ مَا لَا یَضُرُّہُمۡ وَ لَا یَنۡفَعُہُمۡ وَ یَقُوۡلُوۡنَ ہٰۤؤُلَآءِ شُفَعَآؤُنَا عِنۡدَ اللّٰہِ ؕ قُلۡ اَتُنَبِّـُٔوۡنَ اللّٰہَ بِمَا لَا یَعۡلَمُ فِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ لَا فِی الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ سُبۡحٰنَہٗ وَ تَعٰلٰی عَمَّا یُشۡرِکُوۡنَ ﴿۱۹﴾
And they worship, instead of Allah, that which neither harms them nor profits them; and they say, ‘These are our intercessors with Allah.’ Say, ‘Would you inform Allah of something He knows not in the heavens or in the earth?’ Holy is He, and high exalted above all that which they associate with Him.
[10:20]وَ مَا کَانَ النَّاسُ اِلَّاۤ اُمَّۃً وَّاحِدَۃً فَاخۡتَلَفُوۡا ؕ وَ لَوۡ لَا کَلِمَۃٌ سَبَقَتۡ مِنۡ رَّبِّکَ لَقُضِیَ بَیۡنَہُمۡ فِیۡمَا فِیۡہِ یَخۡتَلِفُوۡنَ ﴿۲۰﴾
And mankind were but one community, then they differed among themselves; and had it not been for a word that had gone before from thy Lord, it would have already been judged between them concerning that in which they differed.
[10:21]وَ یَقُوۡلُوۡنَ لَوۡ لَاۤ اُنۡزِلَ عَلَیۡہِ اٰیَۃٌ مِّنۡ رَّبِّہٖ ۚ فَقُلۡ اِنَّمَا الۡغَیۡبُ لِلّٰہِ فَانۡتَظِرُوۡا ۚ اِنِّیۡ مَعَکُمۡ مِّنَ الۡمُنۡتَظِرِیۡنَ ﴿٪۲۱﴾
And they say, ‘Why has not a Sign been sent down to him from his Lord?’ Say, ‘The unseen belongs only to Allah. So wait; I am with you among those who wait.’
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 10: Yunus