• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why fight over religion?

Milton Platt

I visualize It is a wrong notion,it is the Religion that unites on truth, but the people who don't accept the truth get divided as they want to remain on untruth. Right,please?

Regards
[10:19]وَ یَعۡبُدُوۡنَ مِنۡ دُوۡنِ اللّٰہِ مَا لَا یَضُرُّہُمۡ وَ لَا یَنۡفَعُہُمۡ وَ یَقُوۡلُوۡنَ ہٰۤؤُلَآءِ شُفَعَآؤُنَا عِنۡدَ اللّٰہِ ؕ قُلۡ اَتُنَبِّـُٔوۡنَ اللّٰہَ بِمَا لَا یَعۡلَمُ فِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ لَا فِی الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ سُبۡحٰنَہٗ وَ تَعٰلٰی عَمَّا یُشۡرِکُوۡنَ ﴿۱۹﴾
And they worship, instead of Allah, that which neither harms them nor profits them; and they say, ‘These are our intercessors with Allah.’ Say, ‘Would you inform Allah of something He knows not in the heavens or in the earth?’ Holy is He, and high exalted above all that which they associate with Him.
[10:20]وَ مَا کَانَ النَّاسُ اِلَّاۤ اُمَّۃً وَّاحِدَۃً فَاخۡتَلَفُوۡا ؕ وَ لَوۡ لَا کَلِمَۃٌ سَبَقَتۡ مِنۡ رَّبِّکَ لَقُضِیَ بَیۡنَہُمۡ فِیۡمَا فِیۡہِ یَخۡتَلِفُوۡنَ ﴿۲۰﴾
And mankind were but one community, then they differed among themselves; and had it not been for a word that had gone before from thy Lord, it would have already been judged between them concerning that in which they differed.
[10:21]وَ یَقُوۡلُوۡنَ لَوۡ لَاۤ اُنۡزِلَ عَلَیۡہِ اٰیَۃٌ مِّنۡ رَّبِّہٖ ۚ فَقُلۡ اِنَّمَا الۡغَیۡبُ لِلّٰہِ فَانۡتَظِرُوۡا ۚ اِنِّیۡ مَعَکُمۡ مِّنَ الۡمُنۡتَظِرِیۡنَ ﴿٪۲۱﴾
And they say, ‘Why has not a Sign been sent down to him from his Lord?’ Say, ‘The unseen belongs only to Allah. So wait; I am with you among those who wait.’
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 10: Yunus

Every religion claims to have the truth and every religion has divisions within the religion which all claim that they have the truth. The can't all be right....but they can all be wrong..

Good-Ole-Rebel

Why belong to a religion where people fight, even to death, over doctrine? Any religion worth anything would allow for individual differences because we are not a one-size-fits-all kind of creature. The more I see the two of the four Abrahamic religions fight, the more I am thankful that I no longer belong to any of them. Chill out!

Like it or not, ones religion affects ones politics. In America we like to think there is separation of church and state, but there never really is. Every politician brings with him based on his religion or atheism, a view of the world and how it should work. And of course at the same time everyone is told not to discuss politics and religion because it causes too much trouble.

So, we have Christians in power in the U.S. We also have Muslims in power. Do you think their religion will affect the way they vote for certain laws, and the way they introduce certain laws? Of course it will. Atheists are no different. They will make decisions and vote certain ways based on their atheism.

This is why the fighting is inevitable. If you remove yourself completely and reject it all, and just place yourself in neutral, or a passive state, it will work for you for a little while. But then those that are contending and fighting, will win out, and you then operate under a government of the winner.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why belong to a religion where people fight, even to death, over doctrine? Any religion worth anything would allow for individual differences because we are not a one-size-fits-all kind of creature. The more I see the two of the four Abrahamic religions fight, the more I am thankful that I no longer belong to any of them. Chill out!
Because those religions insist that they have the Word of God (as if there is a God!) and it is incumbent upon them to spread the news to save human kind. And you still call the place where you gather, a church.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Like it or not, ones religion affects ones politics. In America we like to think there is separation of church and state, but there never really is. Every politician brings with him based on his religion or atheism, a view of the world and how it should work. And of course at the same time everyone is told not to discuss politics and religion because it causes too much trouble.

So, we have Christians in power in the U.S. We also have Muslims in power. Do you think their religion will affect the way they vote for certain laws, and the way they introduce certain laws? Of course it will. Atheists are no different. They will make decisions and vote certain ways based on their atheism.

This is why the fighting is inevitable. If you remove yourself completely and reject it all, and just place yourself in neutral, or a passive state, it will work for you for a little while. But then those that are contending and fighting, will win out, and you then operate under a government of the winner.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Sure, but you can't tell one's politics by their religion, or you shouldn't be able to anyway.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Sure, but you can't tell one's politics by their religion, or you shouldn't be able to anyway.

I think the wall that Americans have built, concerning church and state is unrealistic and was never the intention of the first amendment.

You say we shouldn't be able to tell ones politics by their religion. I am saying you always will be able to, as you act on your beliefs.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I think the wall that Americans have built, concerning church and state is unrealistic and was never the intention of the first amendment.

You say we shouldn't be able to tell ones politics by their religion. I am saying you always will be able to, as you act on your beliefs.

Good-Ole-Rebel

You probably think Christians should all be GOP, and care about abortion and gay rights but ignore the poor, sick and marginalized. Nope, sorry. That's not the focus of the Bible.

Phaedrus

Different religions exist because people think differently and think they alone have the truth regarding how life should be lived. It makes sense. People are not of a hive mind, as much as many religions would like to make them. People have their own consciences, their own idea, their own feelings, their own identities.

Therefore, people will interpret scripture differently, and doing so creates schisms within a religion and as usual the us vs them mentality kicks in.

It is only natural, yet unnecessary if people would realize religion and spiritual beliefs are merely fiction and the major divide that will never unite humanity.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Every religion claims to have the truth and every religion has divisions within the religion which all claim that they have the truth. The can't all be right....but they can all be wrong..
"but they can all be wrong"

Does one include Atheism in one's above assertion, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Good-Ole-Rebel
"Atheists are no different. They will make decisions and vote certain ways based on their atheism."

It is a good point.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Because those religions insist that they have the Word of God (as if there is a God!) and it is incumbent upon them to spread the news to save human kind. And you still call the place where you gather, a church.
"And you still call the place where you gather, a church"

Muslim gather in a place they call a Mosque, Hinduism people gather in a place they call a Mandir ,Buddhism people gather in a place called Monastery and the Judaism people gather in a place they call it a Synagogue , etc. The Atheism people don't gather in a place. Right, please?

Regards

MikeDwight

No, what I said is you will always act on your beliefs.

Good-Ole-Rebel
cards:lotr01152.jpg

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Muslim gather in a place they call a Mosque, Hinduism people gather in a place they call a Mandir, Buddhism people gather in a place called Monastery and the Judaism people gather in a place they call it a Synagogue, etc.
If we want to live in peace we do not need a 'religion of peace' or any other grouping. Are we not living in peace in our daily lives with people from various religions? All groupings that claim special status are just fakes.

Linguister

I don't think it's specific to religion. People fight over anything and everything, sports, politics, religion, color of skin, gender etc. We are just a silly race that likes to be on each other's throats.

I remember one intriguing scientific experiment where a group of people were put in a room, half of them were given yellow T-shirts and the other green T-shirts. After a period of time, the two groups separated by shirt color and started bickering amongst each other and claiming they are better than the other group! I'm sorry I don't have the name or the link to the experiment, I read it a long time ago. But it points directly to the fact that it's not the T-shirt color (religion) that's the cause of wars, it's people, their greed, envy, supremacy etc.

Linguister

I don't think it's specific to religion. People fight over anything and everything, sports, politics, religion, color of skin, gender etc. We are just a silly race that likes to be on each other's throats.

I remember one intriguing scientific experiment where a group of people were put in a room, half of them were given yellow T-shirts and the other green T-shirts. After a period of time, the two groups separated by shirt color and started bickering amongst each other and claiming they are better than the other group! I'm sorry I don't have the name or the link to the experiment, I read it a long time ago. But it points directly to the fact that it's not the T-shirt color (religion) that's the cause of wars, it's people, their greed, envy, supremacy etc.

Linguister

Religions provide just one more thing which they can fight on (and perhaps the most contentious one).

The problem is that people fight over EVERYTHING! And we can't eliminate everything to eliminate wars. If we want to minimize wars we should worry about whom we elect for presidents and members of parliaments.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Some places, they don't either elect presidents or members of parliament, or if they do it is just a sham. Then the voters are not that discriminative to distinguish the choice, right from wrong. No system is perfect.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII

Do they fist fight and what not? I enjoy a good debate as well as a good apologetic (defense of said faith) Also, without the resistance it's a lot like just laying in bed alone with no stimuli to foster growth. ;)

Ok, Also you pinpoint the Abrahamic religions and mentioned nothing of those who adhere to NO religion as in general warmongers and what not. Anyway, like working out and other activities ... There's greater gain with a bit of effort and movement and friction ya know?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Do they fist fight and what not? I enjoy a good debate as well as a good apologetic (defense of said faith) Also, without the resistance it's a lot like just laying in bed alone with no stimuli to foster growth. ;)

Ok, Also you pinpoint the Abrahamic religions and mentioned nothing of those who adhere to NO religion as in general warmongers and what not. Anyway, like working out and other activities ... There's greater gain with a bit of effort and movement and friction ya know?

The monotheistic religions have a "my way or the highway to hell" attitude. Atheists and other non theists don't really care what others believe, as long as they don't bully people or try to run the country with it.