• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't you believe in God/s?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Evidence, or total lack of..
I was brought up going to church but I started to think about what a god means. It made no sense at all.
Science made sense, it inspired me to ask questions. Religion stopped me asking questions, it was 'set in stone'

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think I ever really believed. I was raised in a religious household, but in spite of repeated, sincere attempts, I never got an 'answer' from prayer. This was probably the basic reason I started to reject what the older people taught me.

Later, I found that all of the main arguments *for* the existence of God were flawed and there are much better explanations for most of the questions I was interested in (provided by scientific exploration). I also learned some of the history of the main religious traditions and that didn't inspire confidence that those promoting faith actually knew anything more than any other person.

Finally, I started looking closer into what it means to exist and what it *could* mean to even say a supernatural exists. Currently, I find the concept of a supernatural to be self-contradictory.

So, from an initial position of doubt brought about by lack of evidence, the confidence that, not only is there not convincing evidence, but it is very unlikely there *could* be convincing evidence.

The *only* out I have seen so far is to identify the universe as God (a version of pantheism), but I find that to be more of a dodge than a serious position.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Evidence, or total lack of..
I was brought up going to church but I started to think about what a god means. It made no sense at all.
Science made sense, it inspired me to ask questions. Religion stopped me asking questions, it was 'set in stone'

Sometimes I believe the worse people to propagate the belief in God are the ones at the pulpit. I think that is why I like Islamic philosophy so much more specifically, Aristotelian philosophy as produced by Ibn Rushd (or known as Averroes). Unfortunately in southern Spain a lot of his works were burned as they were considered heretical.

Rational Agnostic

Atheists, what caused you to stop believing? Or for those who never believed, why not?

As far as the gods of typical religions go, well, since they perform miracles, which share the same definition of magic, they are violating the laws of physics and thus are physically impossible (similar to Jack in the Beanstalk, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc). But I don't rule out the possibility of deities that don't break the laws of physics. Deistic and pantheistic conceptions of god are interesting to me.

Cobol

Code Jockey
My top 5 reasons

1. No evidence and illogical
2. I've been good, and life has been good without the concept
3. Humans are insignificant in the vast sea of the universe
4. Life itself would be more disturbing if god existed. Preponderance of suffering etc.
5. Life is material, Not supernatural

David T

Premium Member
Mind reading seems to be one of the superpowers religionists get from Holy Spirit.
Tom
I just had to do big font shock red for no particular reason than the sharp eyed comment about you not being an atheist!!!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Atheists, what caused you to stop believing? Or for those who never believed, why not?
It got to a point one day that nothing was really going on. Sure people were talking about God singing about God, acting as if God was there, but when you take all that out of the equation.

You notice that there is really nothing going on in respect to that.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I remember very clearly when I noticed this.
It was the first day of 2nd grade. My teacher, Sister Loratine, put a big glass jar on her desk. She announced to the class that she expected it to be filled with our money before the end of the school year. So the church could feed poor kids in Africa.

My family was nothing like poor. But my parents didn't entrust 7 yo with much cash. I wasn't even allowed to cross the street. I figured that since Jesus was God's son, He probably had a way bigger allowance than I did. So I asked Sister Loratine, "How much is Jesus putting in there?".

I didn't get a very good answer. But I had discovered The Problem of Evil. And after that, I started looking a lot more closely at all the answers that religionists gave me about God and morality and such. I quickly realized that they didn't have answers to much of anything, except how to get along with other religionists.

I felt no need for that. I became an atheist.
Sort of.
Tom

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
It got to a point one day that nothing was really going on. Sure people were talking about God singing about God, acting as if God was there, but when you take all that out of the equation.

I wonder if that's so. Because it sounds like you're bored from stuff not happening. But let's consider something.

You're not on the street, are you?

You have enough to eat?

You want something you can probably just buy it, not have a Shadow Governor tell you that the People are suffering?

Sometimes it's what's NOT happening that is a miracle. That you can be thankful for.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If you are talking about diet(ies), I never had a motivation to look. Even if I did, since I dont believe something outside us comes from nothing, Id need to find criteria and tools to which I can detect dieties.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
If you are talking about diet(ies),

Dieties? Are you overweight?

Deities.

If you cannot spell the word right, it leads us to question whether you really understand its meaning.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Don't really see a need for a God.
I understand some may need a God for emotional support. I'm not judging, if it's their need who am I to tell them otherwise.

Myself, and I imagine many other folks can get through life emotionally healthy without a God.