• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't JWs celebrate Christmas?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Used to have a JW friend who told me that once a year her parents would give her one "big gift" at a random day just between Christmas and her birthday. She also visited me once at my university. After rattling down all the JW stuff she suggested we should go to the traditional Christmas market. Because, stopping at booths for buying stuff and drinking hot spiced wine is celebrating it, whereas walking down the rows of booths without stopping anywhere and buying things is just walking, which is not forbidden by the JW's religion. According to her, before corona, all JW's would meet at a certain adventure pool center on December 26th, which is also not celebrating Christmas, but just swimming. I also read they are free to celebrate any non-religious "spring/summer/autumn/winter" festivals which may or may not be close to anybody's birthday.

Not all JW’s are the same because we have no traditions in gift giving. I know some families who celebrate on the parents wedding anniversary and have a special day that is all their own. I would rather have our own special day than have a rather meaningless one that the world celebrates commercially.

When the Christmas or Boxing Day sales are on, there is no prohibition on buying something because its ‘on special’. Buying goods is not unchristian and neither is giving gifts, we just don’t have manufactured commercial “holidays” where the masses are annually “fleeced”. We go about our lives ignoring what the world is doing and treat every day as a gift from God. Getting together is what we have always done (pre-COVID) and hopefully we may be able to do so again, but in the meantime...life goes on, albeit altered. We adjust.

Becoming a slave to tradition is what makes these celebrations so burdensome for many people. Keeping up with what others give as gifts, telling kids that Santa brought them a $1,000 gaming gadget when the poor kids were lucky to even get food is a bit hard to explain to a poor child, why Santa was only generous to the rich kids?

The whole thing is based on lies....which is something God hates.
Christmas is just Roman ‘saturnalia’ dressed up to look “Christian”. You can’t “Christianize” paganism....you just end up “paganizing” the Christianity....something Jesus would never have sanctioned.

Jews did not celebrate birthdays because of their pagan roots. There are no birthdates recorded in the Bible. No one knows the exact date when Jesus was born because it didn’t matter. We do know the precise date on which he died however, because we were commanded to commemorate it. It is the only thing we were asked to remember each year on the date on which it falls....not the closest weekend so everyone gets a holiday.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That's very interesting, because those seasonal celebrations are very much indeed tied up to Paganism!
To me what I find more interesting is the position taken by Jehovah's Witnesses as found at Galatians 4:10.
That council was given because some people were returning back to former ways of observing things - Galatians 4:9
Doing that does Not make the Scriptures as wrong but those returning-back people as wrong.
- www.jw.org