• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't Catholics read the Bible?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have to say, as one raised as a Catholic, that the Protestant Reformation probably did the church a power of good.
A Jesuit theologian that was the author of the most widely used English adult catechism, Fr. John Hardon, said that the Protestant Reformation did good in forcing the CC to come back with the Counter-Reformation that did away with some of the ills within the Church.

BTW, even though I wasn't Catholic, I took two of his classes in Catholic theology as he was one of the brightest and most interesting professors I ever had.

exchemist

Veteran Member
A Jesuit theologian that was the author of the most widely used English adult catechism, Fr. John Hardon, said that the Protestant Reformation did good in forcing the CC to come back with the Counter-Reformation that did away with some of the ills within the Church.

BTW, even though I wasn't Catholic, I took two of his classes in Catholic theology as he was one of the brightest and most interesting professors I ever had.
The Js are normally good value - the thinking man's Catholicism. We were married by one.

I try not to get tribal about denominations. My grandfather was a Methodist minister and ended up Professor of church history at Glasgow. So he was a bit of a thinking man's Methodist. :)

metis

The Js are normally good value - the thinking man's Catholicism. We were married by one.

I try not to get tribal about denominations. My grandfather was a Methodist minister and ended up Professor of church history at Glasgow. So he was a bit of a thinking man's Methodist. :)
We got some commonality here in another area as my Scottish great-grandfather, who my older relatives say that I'm a lot like both personality-wise and physically, was a lay-minister in the Methodist church who sometimes took over when the pastor wasn't available.

BTW, that side of the family came from Scotland back in the early 1700's, and they were of the MacDonald of Clanranald clan, which actually was Catholic and came out of central Ireland originally. I do not know how my great-grandfather's side of the family eventually became Methodist, however.

exchemist

Veteran Member
We got some commonality here in another area as my Scottish great-grandfather, who my older relatives say that I'm a lot like both personality-wise and physically, was a lay-minister in the Methodist church who sometimes took over when the pastor wasn't available.

BTW, that side of the family came from Scotland back in the early 1700's, and they were of the MacDonald of Clanranald clan, which actually was Catholic and came out of central Ireland originally. I do not know how my great-grandfather's side of the family eventually became Methodist, however.
Well at any rate your ancestors were Scotsmen. My grandfather was from Yorkshire. He ended up with the chair at Glasgow after time spent as a missionary in China and then lecturing at Selly Oak college in Birmingham. (For unrelated reasons, I was born in Edinburgh, as it happens.)

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Why don’t Catholics read the Bible?

Very interesting article ...btw as person who received a very rigid Catholic upbringing, I admit I was taught to dismiss the Bible as "book of great spiritual value that only priests can understand and interpret".....besides, priests don't mind discouraging you from reading it.

Thoughts?

You are correct. The more Bible a person knows, the less likely they will adhere to Roman Catholicism. Therefore, the priests discourage Catholics from Word study.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You are correct. The more Bible a person knows, the less likely they will adhere to Roman Catholicism. Therefore, the priests discourage Catholics from Word study.
Hoho, very good. But as you can see from the discussion, it is actually a tiny bit more nuanced than that. :D

joe1776

Very interesting article ...btw as person who received a very rigid Catholic upbringing, I admit I was taught to dismiss the Bible as "book of great spiritual value that only priests can understand and interpret".....besides, priests don't mind discouraging you from reading it.

Thoughts?
In the Protestant Reformation," led by Martin Luther. Luther and others were critical of certain doctrines and what they believed to be corruption within the Catholic church.

I think one of those doctrines was the prohibition on reading the Bible. I think the reasoning behind the prohibition was that it would result in a splitting of Christianity into factions based on different interpretations of scripture -- which is, obviously, what happened.

exchemist

Veteran Member
In the Protestant Reformation," led by Martin Luther. Luther and others were critical of certain doctrines and what they believed to be corruption within the Catholic church.

I think one of those doctrines was the prohibition on reading the Bible. I think the reasoning behind the prohibition was that it would result in a splitting of Christianity into factions based on different interpretations of scripture -- which is, obviously, what happened.
I've been taking a quick look at the background to this idea.

There seems to be a certain amount of anti-catholic propaganda about it. For instance it is true the Council of Toulouse (1229) forbade the laity reading vernacular translations. But when I saw "Toulouse" I smelt a rat and immediately thought of the Albigensian Heresy (the "Cathars"). Sure enough, it turn out this is what it was all about - a local proclamation to try to suppress that heretical movement. (Albi is close to Toulouse). So this was nothing to do with global church policy, it was just one local bishop with a local problem. But it has been used to suggest the Council of Toulouse was an ecumenical council, like the Councils of Nicaea or Trent, when it was nothing of the kind.

There certainly were prohibitions against unauthorised translations, for fear that heterodox doctrines might spread as a result of "bad" translation, but this is not to say that reading the bible as such was forbidden.

But I'd be interested in any other evidence anybody has about this, one way or the other.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Many Sundays. I was a kid. I mostly tuned it out. I may well have done the same if I was given a bible to read, but I did find the bible an interesting topic in high school. By then I was rapidly stopping attending mass. I haven't been back since, minus the odd ceremony of course.
Sounds a lot like me.

I only started again when my son was born and we had to decide whether to bring him with religion or without. We decided "with", largely for cultural reasons. I joined the church choir to make it more interesting. And then it became a habit, and a pleasant memory of my childhood. And then we went to The Hague where we attended the Latin High Mass as I did not speak Dutch, where I found the music (I learnt to read neumes and sing Gregorian chant) and the ancient ritual very moving - and then consoling when my wife got ill - continuity with all those centuries of past Christians, with all their cares, loves, lives and deaths.

So I've sort of drifted back..........

tempogain

So I've sort of drifted back..........

I've been living in Taiwan, so things have been somewhat different. We've almost totally mostly gone "without," but with the odd input from my wife here and there. No angst, either way. My older daughter has moved to the US already, and after an almost totally secular childhood in the secular paradise of Taiwan, she's found it a bit of a shock at times. Lest you think she's moved to the Bible belt or something, she lives in Long Island, NY, which is, well, not the Bible belt. :) I'll be moving back myself soon with my wife and slightly younger and equally fiercely secular daughter. It should be fun :)

Vee

Premium Member

Thoughts?

I once had a conversation with a priest about the Bible. It didn't take me long to realize that I knew it better than him. Enough said.

metis

Well at any rate your ancestors were Scotsmen. My grandfather was from Yorkshire. He ended up with the chair at Glasgow after time spent as a missionary in China and then lecturing at Selly Oak college in Birmingham. (For unrelated reasons, I was born in Edinburgh, as it happens.)
I wish I had a chance to go there myself. My parents spent two weeks there back in the 80's, and they went to where our ancestors lived on the Isle of Skye.

Oh, btw, when they finished taking a tour there, may father asked the tour guide whether anyone in the past actually died a natural death? :D

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Why are Protestant Christians consider reading the Bible so important? The Word no longer resides in a book but is enfleshed in Jesus who is supposed to be in Heaven and who enters the hearts of believers through the Spirit, thus renewing them. This makes the Bible more of a legacy document does it not? A crucial point of difference between it and how Muslims view Quran, and yet, I find Protestants are like Muslims in their attitude to the Bible.
Well said! Very true.

metis

How many priests have you actually heard say that, BB?

The above is such total nonsense and, as a matter of fact, I was involved in a Bible study for 12 weeks last spring at my wife's Catholic church and I'm going to be involved in an 18 week one on Matthew starting this fall.

Not bad for a Jewish guy, right BB?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I wish I had a chance to go there myself. My parents spent two weeks there back in the 80's, and they went to where our ancestors lived on the Isle of Skye.

Oh, btw, when they finished taking a tour there, may father asked the tour guide whether anyone in the past actually died a natural death? :D
Ah, Skye. Sail bonnie boat, etc. I've never made it to Skye, though I did get to Loch Hourn and Glenelg once (with a Scottish nurse I had originally met in Sharjah in the UAE....), so I could see Skye across the Sound of Sleat. I recall that, in the pub, the locals spoke in a dialect that sounded almost Irish.

But we (or I) digress.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Thoughts?
Catholicism holds to certain dogmas that aren't necessarily obvious from a lay reading of the Bible. If people read it for themselves, they can be left with questions and ideas at odds to Catholic doctrine. So discouraging unguided Bible reading is a simple prophylactic measure against such questioning and ideas.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Thoughts?

The Bible is like one of those huge books that people show on their shelves to impress, but they never really read. And rely that nobody else did to challenge them.

I like to make up verses sometimes and I have seldom experienced Christians telling me that that verse does not exist,at least until they get to google. You know, some good sounding and meaningless deepity like "the Word is the beginning of existence and the meaning of I AM, Methuselah 15:14". Or some other nonsense looking serious and wise. You should try it, is fun.

Well, if they really did read it and were scientific literate, they would probably put it near The Myths and Legend of King Arthurs and Knights of the Round Table.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
How many priests have you actually heard say that, BB?

The above is such total nonsense and, as a matter of fact, I was involved in a Bible study for 12 weeks last spring at my wife's Catholic church and I'm going to be involved in an 18 week one on Matthew starting this fall.

Not bad for a Jewish guy, right BB?
The modern Catholic Church is a lot less ideological about such things, but when my Dad was a kid, he was certainly warned off reading the Bible himself, to the point he was quite disturbed when I read it for myself the first time. Even as recently as when I joined the Army, the field Scriptures (cool little book, had a camouflage cover and everything) Catholc chaplains gave out were strictly New Testament, rather than the much more problematic and provoking Old Testament.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The modern Catholic Church is a lot less ideological about such things, but when my Dad was a kid, he was certainly warned off reading the Bible himself, to the point he was quite disturbed when I read it for myself the first time. Even as recently as when I joined the Army, the field Scriptures (cool little book, had a camouflage cover and everything) Catholc chaplains gave out were strictly New Testament, rather than the much more problematic and provoking Old Testament.

A camouflage cover? I hope this is a joke.

I am sure that the word of God needs some hiding with the background. Stupid bombs do not seem to change their trajectory because of prayer alone, LOL.

Ciao

- viole

P.S. That entails that only atheists, really, are in foxholes, doesn't it?