• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't atheists change faiths very often?

Bob the Unbeliever

Reminds me of a conversation I was having with a person so far to the political left that she made Joseph Stalin look like Churchill.

Stalin? Left? No... he was far-far right, if he was anything. He was not all that different from Hitler, in many respects; apart from the rhetoric. Just going by results here: who killed more Germans? Hitler or Stalin? Does it matter in the end?

Of course-- if you go far enough around either bend "left or right" you kinda get to the same insane place that often appears to be somewhat unique.

And we can all agree, I would wager, that Stalin was around the bend--whichever bend that may have been.

As was, of course, Hitler.

The insane really ought to have a separate class apart from "left" or "right", I think.

"He's not left or right--he's insane."

"Which party does he belong to, again? Oh, the Insane Party? Gotcha."

Which reminds me of Monty Python's sketch: Election Night Special

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I stand corrected.

It would help if you provided a link. I was simply basing my post on the chart provided.

It was there in the earlier post below the charts in blue text (I didn't put it again on the second post though). I guess the link blended in with the blue-theme of the images. :sweat:

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
What sort of "divine being" deliberately and with purpose, goes out of it's way to hide or obscure this before-birth "meeting"?
Not hidden. I've posted the process to reconnect a few times on the forum, but most people are either too set in their mindset to give it a go, or dislike trying something new and unfamiliar.

I would think, that such a being was shirking it's responsibilities! A newborn ought to be born with this knowledge intact, so that it would be immune from false teaching!
Then where is the test? We might as well all be born straight in Heaven.

The fact that no child ever demonstrates such knowledge, to me, says with high certainty that there is no such deity as you described here.
We have free will, so yes we may seek a connection with God at a deep unexplained level, but we have to use the mind given by God to reason, study and seek truth. Everyone is born with knowledge, but their upbringing might make them Atheist, Agnostic, Hindu etc. God does not want blind following, and humans naturally want answers, so those who are sincere will come to truth no matter what.

Bob the Unbeliever

Not hidden. I've posted the process to reconnect a few times on the forum, but most people are either too set in their mindset to give it a go, or dislike trying something new and unfamiliar.

Then where is the test? We might as well all be born straight in Heaven.

We have free will, so yes we may seek a connection with God at a deep unexplained level, but we have to use the mind given by God to reason, study and seek truth. Everyone is born with knowledge, but their upbringing might make them Atheist, Agnostic, Hindu etc. God does not want blind following, and humans naturally want answers, so those who are sincere will come to truth no matter what.

Nothing you said, addresses my statement:

Why are infants NEVER born with knowledge of god?

A cute video (likely highly edited) is not proof of anything, apart from human infants LOVE to listen to human voices.

This is a deeply ingrained instinct-- and helps the infant survive, and to learn speech.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That would be the One GOD who created the Earth Billions of years ago. Over the ages He has been known by different names, and given different attributes. You met Him before you were born, and deep down know there is a higher purpose to this life. You just need the right connection to be made before you recall your meeting.

Perhaps. I don't remember meeting anyone before I was born, but I don't even remember that much from my first couple of years either.

The alternative is to study until one is 100% certain they're on the right path, but does anyone have unlimited time? Nope. In fact, I could walk to the shops later and get mugged, run over, or even suffer a heart attack right now etc. This is why believers should accept God exists and He is One, to gain the absolute minimum chance of entering Paradise, thereafter study and move around until they find something that can answer the important questions.

I suppose that's possible. To me, as an agnostic, saying "I don't know" is about as honest as I can get. Sure, I can say that "I believe," whatever that means, but I will never really know for certain. At least I'm being honest, rather than proclaiming belief in something without knowing all the facts.

That for me would mean the Qur'an is not from God, which is impossible to comprehend. btw once we accept a truth, God then sends clear signs to strengthen us along the way. God also talks about a creation like mankind, which also dwells here on Earth in a parallel World. Believers myself included have seen these beings with our own eyes. Lots of new age spiritualists work with these entities, thinking them to be good spirit guides and even deities.

I'm not denying the possibility that God exists or that these could even be signs, but I would take exception to the idea that they are "clear signs." If they were that clear, then there would be no disagreement or dissension between religious bodies. If it was as obvious as 2+2=4, then everyone would say "Yep, makes sense to me." Nobody would fight over it.

If there is a God, then considering the size of the immense vastness known as the universe, it seems the only thing that's "clear" is that the entity that created it must be pretty big. Something so big and powerful that it's beyond human ability to comprehend or define, so why would people fight or argue over something they can't possibly understand?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
/from another thread

Assuming atheists don't change to another faith very often, why is this?

I did eventually..

What makes it so difficult is that atheism, by definition, resists acknowledging it's own faith as such. aka blind faith.

It's very difficult to critically analyze a belief you don't even admit having...

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Nothing you said, addresses my statement:

Why are infants NEVER born with knowledge of god?

A cute video (likely highly edited) is not proof of anything, apart from human infants LOVE to listen to human voices.

This is a deeply ingrained instinct-- and helps the infant survive, and to learn speech.

You can try it for yourself on any babies in your family.

You might be right on babies liking voices, but it would very much also depend on the words being used:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I did eventually..

What makes it so difficult is that atheism, by definition, resists acknowledging it's own faith as such. aka blind faith.

It's very difficult to critically analyze a belief you don't even admit having...
This is about as poiniant and significant as saying that what makes it so difficult is that YEC resist acknowledging it's own ascientific statements as such. Aka YEC is scientifically incorrect.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I did eventually..

I can't help but wonder what is it that you call atheism. I'm fairly certain that I have not met that.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Perhaps. I don't remember meeting anyone before I was born, but I don't even remember that much from my first couple of years either.
I didn't remember either and it was after listening to the Qur'an, I tried to understand why it moved me so much....

And [mention] when your Lord took from the children of Adam - from their loins - their descendants and made them testify of themselves, [saying to them], "Am I not your Lord?" They said, "Yes, we have testified." [This] - lest you should say on the day of Resurrection, "Indeed, we were of this unaware. Qur'an 7:172

I suppose that's possible. To me, as an agnostic, saying "I don't know" is about as honest as I can get. Sure, I can say that "I believe," whatever that means, but I will never really know for certain. At least I'm being honest, rather than proclaiming belief in something without knowing all the facts.
At least you are honest, and open to the possibility of God existing.

I'm not denying the possibility that God exists or that these could even be signs, but I would take exception to the idea that they are "clear signs." If they were that clear, then there would be no disagreement or dissension between religious bodies. If it was as obvious as 2+2=4, then everyone would say "Yep, makes sense to me." Nobody would fight over it.
Which religious bodies do you speak of?

If there is a God, then considering the size of the immense vastness known as the universe, it seems the only thing that's "clear" is that the entity that created it must be pretty big. Something so big and powerful that it's beyond human ability to comprehend or define, so why would people fight or argue over something they can't possibly understand?

Yes, God is beyond our comprehension, and we are told everything we see in the Universe is contained within the First Heaven; there are Seven Heavens in total, then comes God's foot stool towering over the Heavens, then his Throne and then you will see your Lord. Everything in the 7 Heavens is mere play for God, and after us he will create others, just as he created before us.

We are the only ones given understanding. This sets us apart from the animal kingdom. Elephants don't have a desire to explore the Earth and Space, they don't even feel obliged to travel to another Country to meet family. This conscious desire to explore and learn comes from the Creator. We are born with certain knowledge and are made with a higher purpose. As such, God has sent Prophets to mankind to tell us what our purpose in life is, and how to live a life pleasing to God. This enables us to succeed both in this and the next life.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There are also atheists who profess ideologies that border on a religion like Rand Objectivism or Marxism.
Saying Objectivism and Marxism are religions is just as flawed as saying atheism is a religion.
Every religious person started out as an atheist.
That I don't agree with. So many of us were never given a choice, and before we even realize object permanence or form memories or have knowledge of anything including ourselves, we are given to Jesus or Allah or whomever.
I've known many more believers who seemingly change their religion every so often. That's probably even more baffling, when you think about it.
Occasional change to some degree is good, and a sign of a strong, healthy character. A reluctance to change, however, is just as bad as frequently changing.