• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does my God allow children to die? Is he evil?

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
But still, people wrote it. People decided which books go into it. And, different "churches" interpret it different.
Peter said in 2Pe 1:16 We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

2Pe 1:17 For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
2Pe 1:18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.
2Pe 1:19 And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

2Pe 1:20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
Oh, by the way, I'm glad you dropped by and posted to this thread again. So while you're here, could you add a comment as to what your church believes about what happens to children when they die? It's pertinent to this thread because the whole thing started when several grade school kids were shot to death. Do you think they all automatically go to heaven... no matter what religion and beliefs their parents had?
Ro 9:15 For HE/GOD says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

sincerly

sincerly said:
sincerly said:
Simplelogic, I did not read your site, because GOD'S message for the salvation of mankind is found in HIS words---not those of man's comments/opinions.

..."What is at stake", according to the Scriptures, is what the ultimate end will be for what one "chooses" to believe.
CG-D, "In your opinion", Is there a Creator GOD as the Bible acknowledges? If you can not accept that fact, then any of mankind's explanations is valid for themselves.

Amos 3:7, says, "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."
Those prophets were chosen by GOD to reveal HIS inspired messages. Those messages were not to be randomly/arbitrarily given validity by each individual's own opinion---as you suggest. Only the meaning expressed to the prophet and given by the said prophet is truth. Yes, there are many who assume that they have the right to eisegesis as they please.
The OT is the foundational principles upon which the whole of the NT is fulfilled. The goal of the scriptures is consummated.---the salvation of sinful mankind.

"Who?" Inspired men of GOD who were killed for the bringing of corrective messages to the erring people.
The same Holy Spirit which Gave the messages, also, guided inspired men to preserve the Written messages.
For the most part, the Scriptures themselves do the explaining to the honest seeker for the truths found in the messages of the Scriptures.

"Who?" "sects and denominations" were started by men who were lead by the same Being who influenced Eve to doubt/go counter to the Creator GOD'S instructions---and for the same reasons---Lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh and the pride of life".
The Scriptures are truth as is posted in those Scriptures. Mankind has the choice to believe are deny.(depending on that choice above)

I did give my opinion as stated above---
"because GOD'S message for the salvation of mankind is found in HIS words---not those of man's comments/opinions".
Therefore, since GOD expressed HIS Truths in the Scriptures, what was written in that site should agree with the Scriptures. When, In no agreement or in a contradictory form, there is no value in reading or wasting one's time just to express an "opinion".

So
There is much missing in our current dialogue concerning Scripture. There is a general principal for the way scriptures were added over time. It is logical and easy to understand. The Jewish people had a systematic way of adding new Prophets writings which were considered God inspired.

Yes, I was recorded in the book of the Kings and in the Chronicles.

1st premise
- The Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) were a divine revelation from God himself to Moses. If you are willing to believe in this premise then this will unlock the validity for all the rest of the writings that were later added. The Torah itself gives the criteria for "testing" prophets.

True.

2nd premise- For any man to be considered a "prophet" from God, and worthy of inclusion into "the scriptures" there must be two requirements.

Yes and No!

First requirement- The Bible commands us in Deuteronomy 4:2 to not “diminish” any of the words of prior Prophets. Thus, this prohibits adding prophets who contradict earlier prophets.
The Bible commands us in Deuteronomy 4:2 to not “diminish” any of the words of prior Prophets. Thus, this prohibits adding prophets who contradict earlier prophets.

True.

Second requirement- This same prophet must predict a future event which comes to pass. This is what validated the words of that prophet and became the "rubber stamp" if you will of divine authenticity.

This is the test which God laid down for man to use in order to "guard" His words. This does not mean that man is perfect at it. I will demonstrate later that the Bible itself proves that valid "scripture" can be lost from "the canon". This means that man is still currently responsible to test the books of the Bible (by the Torah's criteria) to determine which books are valid and which ones aren't. It most certainly does NOT mean that the NT books which were chosen by Athenasius are automatically valid.

A prophet could be sent of GOD to warn/ show where to recipient had erred from following GOD without any "future events" being prophesied.
However, in the guarding of HIS WORD, Isa.8:20 is standard. "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."
Each of the NT epistles contain many references to the OT principles which are the "context" for the statements written.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Peter said in 2Pe 1:16 We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

2Pe 1:17 For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
2Pe 1:18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.
2Pe 1:19 And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

2Pe 1:20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
If everything written in the NT were true and reliable, we'd have no reason to doubt and question. However, I did a quick search and found that 2nd Peter does have some issues. I'll read up on it a little more and get back to you.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
What does that mean? One verse in Romans? What was Paul talking about? The one verse he's quoting is taken from Exodus. What was the context there?
You asked
Do you think they all automatically go to heaven... no matter what religion and beliefs their parents had?
Ro 9:15 For HE/GOD says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

I believe God will have “mercy and compassion” on anyone He chooses. We have no knowledge at all on who will go or went already to heaven after death. All we have is this universal belief that if you do good things you will go to heaven, but base on what the bible is saying that assumption is false. Ro 9:16 It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.

All we have is the bible that tells us how to get there, and that is, by Jesus alone and no one else. He is “the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Him – John 14:6”.

If other religions say otherwise, or they have a better way to get to heaven, other than by Jesus alone, then go for it. Take your chance on some man made religion, but the thing is, you won’t find out the end result of it, if you go to heaven or hell, until you die first.

Death is our entrance to everlasting life with God OR everlasting contempt with Satan in hell. The good thing about this is we have only two choices, heaven or hell, but man made religions spread these two choices into different variations, like roses, by means of speculating. They all offered secret knowledge by which a person could be saved or go to heaven, and this is what you called Gnosticism from the word gnosis/knowledge, or earthly knowledge, or the doctrine of men, or the doctrine of Satan.
Mt 16:23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”

In this verse we can see or read two different doctrines, the things of men and the things of God. The Lord Jesus said to Peter “Get behind me, Satan!” ‘cause Peter do have “the things or the doctrine of men or the doctrine of Satan” compared it to “the things or the doctrine of God”

Vigilans

This is absurd. Which claim is wrong or does not account for what you suggest?

1. Slavery of all types except chattel slavery in the OT.
2. My comments were about the frequency of the types actually practiced.
3. I said the only evidence we have is for voluntary debt servitude.
4. I then went on expecting you to get hung up and allow for it by stating I am sure the more virulent forms occurred but judging by the evidence they were far less frequent. What more can you possibly demand?

Using either word is inaccurate, as neither word existed. Servitude is better in some cases and slavery better in others but your using a word loaded with 19th century baggage where it has no place.

I do not recall using "wife" or "female", mentioning screaming or rape in my posts on the issue. They have nothing to do with my comments. True or false.

Your sole point seems to be my comments did not contain enough terrible adjectives to satisfy you.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Your post quoted one of mine but did not add anything to it from you, so I have nothing to respond to.

sincerly

CG Didymus said:
Do you think they all automatically go to heaven... no matter what religion and beliefs their parents had?

You askedRo 9:15 For HE/GOD says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

I believe God will have “mercy and compassion” on anyone He chooses. We have no knowledge at all on who will go or went already to heaven after death. All we have is this universal belief that if you do good things you will go to heaven, but base on what the bible is saying that assumption is false. Ro 9:16 It dodoes not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.

JM2C,The Creator GOD made it clear in HIS instructions to Moses and the Prophets on whom HIS "compassion and mercy" would by given and whom HIS wrath would be poured out. Paul was quoting from Ex.33:19. And Jesus had said to the Jewish leaders/people, (John 5:44-47),
"How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?"
Jesus continually taught the true principles of GOD'S "Compassion and Mercy" which was the essence of GOD'S LOVE--and as was given to Moses and the Prophets.

All we have is the bible that tells us how to get there, and that is, by Jesus alone and no one else. He is “the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Him – John 14:6”.

Right! Jesus paid the price and it is Believers/obedient ones who obtain HIS Mercy and compassion.

sincerly

JM2C said:

If everything written in the NT were true and reliable, we'd have no reason to doubt and question. However, I did a quick search and found that 2nd Peter does have some issues. I'll read up on it a little more and get back to you.

CG-D, Only those who do not believe the Scriptures OR GOD want to "doubt and question".

Your "quick search" will be in the opinions of mankind and not in the "Insipred Word of GOD by the prophets". You have posted that logic many times.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
...Only those who do not believe the Scriptures OR GOD want to "doubt and question".
Do you believe JW Christians? Or, Catholic Christians? Do you believe what Jews say? Or, do you doubt and question what they believe about the Bible? Early Christians developed doctrines and dogmas, which evolved into the Catholic Church. How far into the Christian era was it when the canon was decided upon? You doubt some of the things those Christians believe, but you believe they were correct in deciding what was the "inspired" Word of God. Questions as to who wrote Hebrews. Which John wrote Revelation. Is Peter the author of 2nd Peter. If you never questioned any of these things, then great for you. But Jews, JW's, and Catholics and all the other people that use the Bible, but believe different than you, they doubt you and absolutely believe in their take on it. And I doubt and question all of you.

sincerly

Do you believe JW Christians? Or, Catholic Christians? Do you believe what Jews say? Or, do you doubt and question what they believe about the Bible? Early Christians developed doctrines and dogmas, which evolved into the Catholic Church. How far into the Christian era was it when the canon was decided upon? You doubt some of the things those Christians believe, but you believe they were correct in deciding what was the "inspired" Word of God. Questions as to who wrote Hebrews. Which John wrote Revelation. Is Peter the author of 2nd Peter. If you never questioned any of these things, then great for you. But Jews, JW's, and Catholics and all the other people that use the Bible, but believe different than you, they doubt you and absolutely believe in their take on it. And I doubt and question all of you.

CG-D, Did GOD'S Scriptures say believe any of those entities?
Yes, There was a falling away from the sayings/Principles of GOD from the very first as is confirmed by the Scriptures---starting with Adam an Eve---extending to all but eight at the time of Noah---then was seen a scattering of the people because of disobedience to populate the earth---From that scattering people failed to retain the principles given by GOD and made gods of their own liking--- The Israelites were commissioned to reteach the "nations", but failed to do so--- Jesus came to fulfill those principles and secure the salvation Plan for all mankind and was lead astray by those who had been given the correct information.---just as was predicted in Daniel---then the "early church fathers" fell away from the teachings as was re-instituted by the teachings by Jesus. (Again, that prophesied falling away.)---Yes, there are many "takes" about the GOD of the Bible/Scriptures, but the scriptures say, Rev. 17:5, "And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH."

It is all those beliefs which have contradictory to GOD'S Scriptures in them that are false. Thy can believe their own assumptions---but that will not change the Scriptures/Principles/ Laws of GOD.
It isn't what mankind has devised for itself(wants to believe), but what the Creator GOD has given.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
Right! Jesus paid the price and it is Believers/obedient ones who obtain HIS Mercy and compassion.
I remember you from this thread "ha‘almah harah: "a young woman is pregnant""

I was using a username Nonconformist then and when I was trying to get back to this forum again I can’t remember my password so I made another one.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
...Jesus came to fulfill those principles and secure the salvation Plan for all mankind and was lead astray by those who had been given the correct information.---just as was predicted in Daniel---then the "early church fathers" fell away...
You were taught about the Bible. Why it's true and what it all means. To believe in what you believe about it means that the Jews and the "early church fathers" had things wrong. Naturally, your teachers had it right. I'm sure, at the beginning, you had some doubts and questions, but then, ever since, you've never doubted and questioned again? Everything they taught you, you take as being the absolute truth about the Bible? I questioned 2nd Peter. Now I question Daniel. This is from wikipedia, so I'm sure you could care less, but I find it interesting.
…It is generally accepted that Daniel originated as a collection of Aramaic folktales later expanded by the Hebrew revelations.[5] The folktales likely had a long prehistory and would have originated in the Babylonian diaspora.[21]

…Daniel is one of a large number of Jewish apocalypses, all of them pseudonymous.[23] Although the entire book is traditionally ascribed to Daniel the seer, chapters 1–6 are in the voice of an anonymous narrator, except for chapter 4 which is in the form of a letter from king Nebuchadnezzar; only the second half (chapters 7–12) is presented by Daniel himself, introduced by the anonymous narrator in chapters 7 and 10.[24]

…Daniel's exclusion from the Hebrew Bible's canon of the prophets, which was closed around 200 BCE, suggests it was not known at that time, and the Wisdom of Sirach, from around 180 BCE, draws on almost every book of the Old Testament except Daniel, leading scholars to suppose that its author was unaware of it. Daniel is, however, quoted by the author of a section of the Sibylline Oracles commonly dated to the middle of the 2nd century BCE, and was popular at Qumran beginning at much the same time, suggesting that it was known and revered from the middle of that century.[30]

The actual historical setting of the book is clear from chapter 11, where the prophecy is accurate down to the career of Antiochus IV Epiphanes, king of Syria and oppressor of the Jews, but not in its prediction of his death: the author knows about Antiochus' two campaigns in Egypt (169 and 167 BCE), the desecration of the Temple (the "abomination of desolation"), and the fortification of the Akra (a fortress built inside Jerusalem), but he seems to know nothing about the reconstruction of the Temple or about the actual circumstances of the Antiochus' death in late 164. Chapters 10–12 must therefore have been written between 167 and 164 BCE.
I'm not saying there isn't a God. I'm not saying it isn't important to believe. What I'm saying is that you better be sure what you believe is really true. And, all of you who say that Jesus is the "only way" and then, tell us what is that only way, then you better be able to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. And you can't. All you can say is that "I have faith"? What does that even mean? Do you have faith enough to heal the sick? Jesus said that his true followers could do that. Do you have faith to move a mountain? I'd like to see you move a small boulder by faith. Can you walk on water? I'd even let you try to do it on a salt lake, so that you wouldn't sink all the way. Do you believe so much that you follow every command of Jesus? I doubt it. Until you do, I don't have much faith in your faith. I think it's only words.

And speaking of words, still, the Bible says God ordered killing of kids. The world is filled with death and destruction. It's really because of Adam's sin? I doubt it. If people sinned, why did God curse the animals? But look at nature... Animals eating each other, disease kills some of them off, some of them are born crippled and get eaten, nature just happens. It don't look like a god is in control. It looks very random... Almost like survival of the luckiest. The stronger, smarter ones having a better chance. Do they have souls? Do they have eternal life? Or, are they just alive one minute and gone the next? Some die young, some die late, but they all die and are gone. Where do they go? Does God really care? I mean besides having a few animals cut into pieces and roasted to honor him? I can certainly see why some people think the God described in the Bible is evil.

sincerly

You were taught about the Bible. Why it's true and what it all means. To believe in what you believe about it means that the Jews and the "early church fathers" had things wrong. Naturally, your teachers had it right. I'm sure, at the beginning, you had some doubts and questions, but then, ever since, you've never doubted and questioned again? Everything they taught you, you take as being the absolute truth about the Bible? I questioned 2nd Peter. Now I question Daniel. This is from wikipedia, so I'm sure you could care less, but I find it interesting.
I'm not saying there isn't a God. I'm not saying it isn't important to believe. What I'm saying is that you better be sure what you believe is really true. And, all of you who say that Jesus is the "only way" and then, tell us what is that only way, then you better be able to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. And you can't. All you can say is that "I have faith"? What does that even mean? Do you have faith enough to heal the sick? Jesus said that his true followers could do that. Do you have faith to move a mountain? I'd like to see you move a small boulder by faith. Can you walk on water? I'd even let you try to do it on a salt lake, so that you wouldn't sink all the way. Do you believe so much that you follow every command of Jesus? I doubt it. Until you do, I don't have much faith in your faith. I think it's only words.

And speaking of words, still, the Bible says God ordered killing of kids. The world is filled with death and destruction. It's really because of Adam's sin? I doubt it. If people sinned, why did God curse the animals? But look at nature... Animals eating each other, disease kills some of them off, some of them are born crippled and get eaten, nature just happens. It don't look like a god is in control. It looks very random... Almost like survival of the luckiest. The stronger, smarter ones having a better chance. Do they have souls? Do they have eternal life? Or, are they just alive one minute and gone the next? Some die young, some die late, but they all die and are gone. Where do they go? Does God really care? I mean besides having a few animals cut into pieces and roasted to honor him? I can certainly see why some people think the God described in the Bible is evil.

CG D, I heard and I examined the Scriptures for the validity of what was being taught. Not doubting, but searching.
One will not get truth about the spiritual aspects of the Bible from the wikipedia--the editors are volunteers from all "beliefs" who follow a set of rules which are biased concerning the Bible Or the Creator GOD.

Your
I'm not saying there isn't a God. I'm not saying it isn't important to believe. What I'm saying is that you better be sure what you believe is really true. (AND) then you better be able to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt.
says your "doubting" will not be answered by any amount of Scriptural proof given.
Like Paul, only with unconventional means will you even start to believe---as is evidenced by your many posts.

The Creator GOD of the Scriptures attested to HIS LOVE for guilty mankind by HIS SON'S voluntary death in the place of all of mankind who is humble enough to confess, Repent and believe.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
CG D, I heard and I examined the Scriptures for the validity of what was being taught. Not doubting, but searching.
One will not get truth about the spiritual aspects of the Bible from the wikipedia--the editors are volunteers from all "beliefs" who follow a set of rules which are biased concerning the Bible Or the Creator GOD.

Your says your "doubting" will not be answered by any amount of Scriptural proof given.
Like Paul, only with unconventional means will you even start to believe---as is evidenced by your many posts.

The Creator GOD of the Scriptures attested to HIS LOVE for guilty mankind by HIS SON'S voluntary death in the place of all of mankind who is humble enough to confess, Repent and believe.
I was worried. I didn't think this thread would make it to two years. But, it looks like we're going to make it. Thanks to you. Good job. So now let's talk about the "validity" of Scripture. So Adam and Eve disobeyed God's warning, and, because of that, God cursed all of creation? Why? Why not just Adam and Eve? They are the ones that messed up. Why the animals? Why Adam and Eve's children? As we read on... and, as mentioned several times, God told Joshua to have his men kill women and children. Why? Let's talk about Daniel. Is it true that his prophesies are accurate up to a certain point? So accurate that some people think that it was written after those events? Is it true that after that point, he is no longer accurate? I don't know. But if that is true, then maybe there is good reason not to blindly believe, but to investigate.

Let's talk about the NT. Did several dead people come out of their graves and walk around Jerusalem? Now let's talk about people deluding themselves that what they believe is true... like those in any other belief system other than yours. They believe in the craziest of things, and they don't doubt. Their religion somehow works for them. Why is that? You say their religion isn't true. Yet, they believe it and insist that it is the truth. To you, it is an obvious lie. A few come out and change their religion, but some of your religion also changes what they believe. So what is it that keeps them and you believing and not doubting? Because to the believer, any believer in anything, it does work. And, as long as you keep believing, it keeps working. Even the religious movements that you say are not true, they keep working. So fine, keep believing in yours. But then, why don't you let others keep believing in theirs? Because you believe yours is the "only" way. And, which way of the "only" way is the right way? Of course, it's yours. You have the right Scriptures and the right interpretation of those Scriptures. You don't doubt. You don't question. But then, how do you know they are right? Because someone told you? Someone showed you? You felt it in your heart? What? With all the weird things taught and said in the Bible, you don't question any of it? With all the different tangents that Christianity has gone in, yours has gone back to the original "truth" of the Word? And, yours knows exactly what God wants and expects? And you follow those teachings with an unwavering heart and mind?

Sorry, I doubt it. You might do a lot. But other Christians do very little. And even you could do a lot more if you wanted. So why don't you? Don't you trust that God will guide you and meet your needs? When someone asks you to go a mile, do you go two? Probably not. Why? Isn't that what Jesus said to do? Don't you believe him? Of course you do... At a level that is comfortable with you. Are you satisfied with that? Is God and Jesus satisfied with that? I think Jesus expects it all. But which Christian really gives their all to God? Probably none of them, because that is not practical. In this day and age, we have to be rational. After all, if we head a voice that told us to sacrifice our only son, we would and should question that voice... And question our own sanity. So, if a book, that has been written by several people over several centuries, says that it is the unquestionable truth and its pages are filled with very questionable things, don't you think you should ask some questions about who those authors were?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Yes, this type of Christian is quite funny, actually. Conflicting ideas that they don't even recognize.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Yes, this type of Christian is quite funny, actually. Conflicting ideas that they don't even recognize.

Yeah, I was there back in the 70's. I was shown all the right verses that "proved" what they were saying was The Truth. And then I'd find one of those many "conflicting" ideas and they say, "What? There are no conflicting ideas in the Bible. You are just not reading and understanding correctly." Then I'd say, "Oh? Excuse me. Let me just close my brain... Ah, that's better. Now go ahead and tell me the true meaning, and I'll bury all those questions deep in the back of my mind where they won't get in the way of my beliefs." And thanks for not letting those type of Christians get away with passing off their interpretations as being the one and only truth.