• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does my God allow children to die? Is he evil?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
First, you never have to worry about insulting me. Second, my feeling about what is right and wrong is the source of my own morals. I certainly don't expect them to be the source of your morals.
I think non-theists must be compelled to respond to ontological claims with epistemology involuntarily. No matter how many times I point it out the next statement is the same thing. I am talking about the arbitrary means by which a human thinks they derive their morals. I am talking about the foundation for moral truth. Now you rightfully so, deny the reality of moral truth. So there is no overlapping magisterium on which ground can be found to resolve this issue. I agree that you are left to flounder around the sea of opinion without God, you agree.

Third,...
I agree
However I see no reason to believe some other human being has the authority to speak on God's behalf. They may or may not but trusting that they do is a matter of faith.
Again I am not talking about human moral authority. I don't care who is right or even if everyone is wrong. That is epistemology or how we come to apprehend morality. I am talking about the foundations by which the nature of morality can be established. With God it can founded on objective fact (regardless of whether anyone has or not), without him it is founded in midair on opinion. I can get into what morals are the best. Or what the moral legacy has been left behind by differing world views but that was not my original claim.

My presumption is that God is capable of letting man know his will. Unfortunately there are a lot of people claiming to have God's authority to dictate that will to everyone else. That view IMO has never shown itself to be successful.
Now wait a minute you cannot simultaneously allow that morality is based on God and that morality is based on your ethical opinions. By the law of non-contradiction both can't be true.

I would not venture to tell your mom to do anything other then what she feels it is right for her to do. People justify wars in order for them to presume their own righteousness. They appeal to absolute to justify themselves to other men.
This is another subject all together. However society must tell my mother what to do and must justify it, and if the bible was true I would expect to see several things. The general observation that we almost universally act as if morals are objectively true (at least some of them), that being rebellious and corrupt we would not agree about which morals are objective all the time but still believe at least some are, and that men would do evil but seek to justify by using that belief in objective moral truth to cover their actions, and others would use them to do enormous good. That is exactly what we both see.

Obviously individual morality is unfit for society. Unless that individual has the power to enforce that morality. Like in a dictatorship. For a society/government to exist doesn't require their laws to be founded on absolutes, only the the law, whatever it is can be enforced. In a democratic society, claiming such laws are founded on absolutes, whether they are or not, only helps to encourage agreement. It's salesmanship. Whether one wants to sale God or other absolutes. Real or imaginary doesn't matter as long as sufficient belief exists.
The power to enforce a moral system is not justification he should. Stalin could and killed 20 million of his own people. The only justification for moral authority should be that his morals are true. Since without God there is no moral truth to begin with then no moral authority actually exists then again your system is unfit for society or for individuals to ensure even theoretical justice. Justice no longer has any foundation and loses its most important meanings without God and becomes mere preference.

It's not insanity, it just support the reality of what I'm saying. The morality of man is arbitrary except to the extent a standard is enforced.
What part of allowing 4% of us to produce 60% of the aids cases in this country by practicing a behavior inconsistent with nature (apparently nature abhors the practice) and rejected by 90% of histories societies, demand those that do not support it to pay billions to treat the symptoms of a behavior that was rejected because of it's cost by them is not insane. What about now having enough weapons to destroy ourselves and worse to have almost done so in just the last century alone several times in not moral insanity. What about killing innocent lives by the hundreds of millions for the mistakes of the ones who kill them, and using a right that does not exist without God and which is denied to those who are killed is not insane? What is not hyperbolically insane about calling that progress? How can a case be a any clearer. If this is not enough how much death and misery would be. We would run out of people to kill before secularism would admit the cost too much.

The problem with the Christian standard is there is no apparent enforcement. Outside of, of course, what can be passed into law and enforced.
No the problem is with secularism and Islam, etc.... who do enforce an immoral morality. It is to the glory of God that his morals are optional and not mandated (there is a caveat here however). God grants freewill, you can say yes, or you can freely say no and doom yourself. God wants love not robots.

If there in no apparent enforcement of "God's" standard then there exists no standard.
There is perfect enforcement. Every single one of will be judged by a perfectly just God according to every command ever given. It is absolute and eternal enforcement even if it is left up to us for a time. There is no choice if this did not occur. God could have made us obey but would you value love that was forced or obedience without choice? You must evaluate God within the context of purpose.

Ok, however you through faith accept that the biblical authors have the authority to dictate that standard. I'm saying that standard whether the authority exists or not is meaningless without enforcement. So where is God in all of this who has the responsibility of enforcement?
That is not what I said. I agree with it but it was not the subject.

Morals are personal feelings of what is right and wrong. There is no other truth. If God wants the morality of man to change then it is up to God to make that happen, not man.
No that is ethical speculation and arbitrary. It is not morality. He did make that change, he paid the ultimate price in order to change millions of lives in radical ways. Would you rather be without choice? If you desire choice then you necessarily must be able to say no as well as yes. However you are forced to be accountable eternally for your decision. You are perfectly free and perfectly accountable with God. Without him you are a slave to genetics and are geared for survival not truth.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I apologise if reality interferes with your happy-clappy comfortable western religious view of things.
My western views are what explain it more comprehensively than anything you have got. I also have an ultimate solution you do not. I also have a justifiable moral motivation to do something about it grounded in objective fact. In modern secular times, you guys are obsessed with tragedy and so the media gives you what you want. I see all the suffering I need to involuntarily. I notice you did not post pictures of the hundreds of hospitals built by Christian benevolence to treat children like that. Why only half the story?

The poster I quoted claimed God was Just (2 Thessalonians 1:6), Loving and Absolutely Moral. I think I disproved that. Even so. If he has the power to act on these injustices in the world and doesn't, he's not only a pretty awful god, but a terrible person.
What some idiot linked to a poster does nothing to link it in reality so your premise is fatally flawed. God is moral, he is powerful, and HE HAS A PURPOSE which necessitates temporary suffering. Love can't exist unless hate is possible, my yes means nothing if I can't say no. The benefit obedience produces is meaningless unless disobedience produces misery. Only in a world where freewill can produce suffering can freewill produce comfort. You necessarily cannot have freewill with it being used to produce misery. It is not God's fault we have wrecked the world he created and suffer because of it, yet even though it was not he stile gave everything in order to ultimately redeem it.

In your case I don't think I am contending with reason, but only emotion but let me make one more attempt anyway. The problem of evil has two components. A philosophical one and an emotional one. The philosophical problem has all but disappeared in modern times. Even most great atheist philosophers have concluded there is no conflict between God and he temporary presence of evil. He can easily have morally justifiable reasons to allow evil for a time. That leaves only the emotional issue and it is unresolvable. You, I, and almost anyone dislike suffering and we never will. So how is it your helping by irrationally getting mad and blaming that child's only ultimate hope.

I'm attempting to blame god for nothing. He doesn't exist. Therefore cannot be blamed. I'm simply saying to those that believe he does, that those who do not act on injustice when it is within their power to do so cannot be just or moral.
I very rarely speculate on a persons motivations but in this case it is so obvious as too be almost certain. I will leave you to your misery without any hope of an ultimate solution, because there is no logic or reason that can prevail against pure emotion.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I listen. I'm not the smartest person around but even I am capable of understanding the Christian position without the need of creating some inane scenario.
I am used to non-theists who butcher
the thing they do not believe in so badly that it becomes something I no longer recognize, in an effort to turn it into something that neither of us believe in, and then call that Christianity. There are very few agnostics who's words are consistent with it instead of [not mere atheism but ] militant atheism. So an accurate rendition is a welcome relief.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Thanks for making my day a little darker. God never ever ever ever promised justice in this world. He in fact stated over and over again why injustice will occur, it's source, commissioned his people to attempt to alleviate it where they can, did so himself as proof of it's eventual eradication in totality, and promised that in the end he would rectify all such tragedy. We are left with this child either way, but on your view justice is never served. Annihilating hope is the most illogical effort a human can make. As depressing as that picture is I can hope for eternal restoration and thousand of children like this are alleviated in this world by Christianity every year. You can only say "Oh well".

If your attempting to blame God as if he desires this type of thing then why in the world does he alleviate every occurrence of it eternally? Why does he not continue this misery he is so fond of forever instead of paying the highest price possible to enable it's eventual restitution? BTW it is only if God exists that the objective morality exists in order to conclude this is wrong or evil to begin with. The best you can say is you do not like it or it is bad according to your opinion.

Sorry, but it seems to me that YOUR opinion here is "oh well, god will sort it out later." Isn't that what you mean by "eternal restoration?"

My opinion is that we need to send food, water, doctors and medical supplies to these poor children and put an end to their needless suffering.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Sorry, but it seems to me that YOUR opinion here is "oh well, god will sort it out later." Isn't that what you mean by "eternal restoration?"
How in the world did you summarize what I said into this? I put toys in stockings for kids every Christmas, help recovering alcoholics even letting them stay in my home, I give to charity, I support missionary efforts that do more than any other charity to relieve that kind of thing, I have friend that have crawled through rain forests to treat children with disease, my Church has specific causes it helps and one is hunger in Africa. My God has supplied every ounce of food ever eaten and my Christ produced food from nothing to feed the starving, he healed the sick, helped the poor, wept with a mother over the death of her son then raised him from the dead, etc.. ad infinitum. So no I do not in practice only offer heaven nor did I say the only hope is in eternity, but I did say every single ULTIMATE hope for man (all of us, we are all going to suffer and die) is in God.

My opinion is that we need to send food, water, doctors and medical supplies to these poor children and put an end to their needless suffering.
What sentence in anything I have ever posted anywhere, or in the fact that Christians give more to efforts to do these exact things than any similar demographic on earth leads you to believe that I or any Christian group would not be in favor of this. Those lenses you have must an inch thick. I would hate to view the world through them.

As an interesting side note. I know personally people who have spent much of their lives in feeding Africa's hungry. They are growing very disgusted. They dig wells, when they come back they are full of human waste and garbage. The food has taken (I will have to approximate as I cant remember but the ratio is accurate) ten million starving people and turned them into 70 million almost starving people. In other words the more help you give the more need for help is created in many cases. Some more thought needs to go into how to help instead of demanding money to throw at things. No real point here but a fact you seldom hear. All you hear is the give me your money or you wish for children to starve line the left regurgitates. Without addressing the root causes (and your side denies they exist to begin with) only symptoms can be temporarily treated. Dr Sims England's chief psychiatric professor committed suicide. He was an atheist but in his note left behind he said that since Psychiatry no longer viewed failures as moral failures (sins) they no longer could cure anyone and could only treat symptoms and could not take it any longer.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Now wait a minute you cannot simultaneously allow that morality is based on God and that morality is based on your ethical opinions. By the law of non-contradiction both can't be true.

Actually I'm saying the first in lieu of the other. The other requires God making himself known.

This is another subject all together. However society must tell my mother what to do and must justify it, and if the bible was true I would expect to see several things. The general observation that we almost universally act as if morals are objectively true (at least some of them), that being rebellious and corrupt we would not agree about which morals are objective all the time but still believe at least some are, and that men would do evil but seek to justify by using that belief in objective moral truth to cover their actions, and others would use them to do enormous good. That is exactly what we both see.
No society need not justify telling you mother what to do. Maybe if they are nice and dictate it as as a moral requirement otherwise, there is no requirement that the laws be justified to every individual person. Only that it is enforced.

The power to enforce a moral system is not justification he should. Stalin could and killed 20 million of his own people. The only justification for moral authority should be that his morals are true. Since without God there is no moral truth to begin with then no moral authority actually exists then again your system is unfit for society or for individuals to ensure even theoretical justice. Justice no longer has any foundation and loses its most important meanings without God and becomes mere preference.
According to your personal morals. The morality of other people don't necessarily have to agree with this.

What part of allowing 4% of us to produce 60% of the aids cases in this country by practicing a behavior inconsistent with nature (apparently nature abhors the practice) and rejected by 90% of histories societies, demand those that do not support it to pay billions to treat the symptoms of a behavior that was rejected because of it's cost by them is not insane. What about now having enough weapons to destroy ourselves and worse to have almost done so in just the last century alone several times in not moral insanity. What about killing innocent lives by the hundreds of millions for the mistakes of the ones who kill them, and using a right that does not exist without God and which is denied to those who are killed is not insane? What is not hyperbolically insane about calling that progress? How can a case be a any clearer. If this is not enough how much death and misery would be. We would run out of people to kill before secularism would admit the cost too much.
Actually group morality is dependent on group goals. So if the morality of the group is sexual liberation then paying the cost of this goal is also moral. For many it is immoral for the government not to pay these costs.

All of these issues are accepted as moral by whoever has the power to enforce these morals, else such actions would not occur. Sorry this just shows your belief in a moral truth is not universal.

No the problem is with secularism and Islam, etc.... who do enforce an immoral morality. It is to the glory of God that his morals are optional and not mandated (there is a caveat here however). God grants freewill, you can say yes, or you can freely say no and doom yourself. God wants love not robots.
Apparently God is not capable of convincing people that their morals are immoral or possibly God holds a different moral then you believe he does.

There is perfect enforcement. Every single one of will be judged by a perfectly just God according to every command ever given. It is absolute and eternal enforcement even if it is left up to us for a time. There is no choice if this did not occur. God could have made us obey but would you value love that was forced or obedience without choice? You must evaluate God within the context of purpose.
God expect love through his apparent absence? Love does not work that way.

That is not what I said. I agree with it but it was not the subject.
Ok, sorry don't recall exactly but agreement is agreement.

No that is ethical speculation and arbitrary. It is not morality. He did make that change, he paid the ultimate price in order to change millions of lives in radical ways. Would you rather be without choice? If you desire choice then you necessarily must be able to say no as well as yes. However you are forced to be accountable eternally for your decision. You are perfectly free and perfectly accountable with God. Without him you are a slave to genetics and are geared for survival not truth.
I'm happy to have choice... (ignoring the thread on freewill :rolleyes:) However I need a reason for making that choice, at least a reason for making choices other than I have.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How in the world did you summarize what I said into this? I put toys in stockings for kids every Christmas, help recovering alcoholics even letting them stay in my home, I give to charity, I support missionary efforts that do more than any other charity to relieve that kind of thing, I have friend that have crawled through rain forests to treat children with disease, my Church has specific causes it helps and one is hunger in Africa. My God has supplied every ounce of food ever eaten and my Christ produced food from nothing to feed the starving, he healed the sick, helped the poor, wept with a mother over the death of her son then raised him from the dead, etc.. ad infinitum. So no I do not in practice only offer heaven nor did I say the only hope is in eternity, but I did say every single ULTIMATE hope for man (all of us, we are all going to suffer and die) is in God.
What sentence in anything I have ever posted anywhere, or in the fact that Christians give more to efforts to do these exact things than any similar demographic on earth leads you to believe that I or any Christian group would not be in favor of this. Those lenses you have must an inch thick. I would hate to view the world through them.
This:

“Thanks for making my day a little darker. God never ever ever ever promised justice in this world. He in fact stated over and over again why injustice will occur, it's source, commissioned his people to attempt to alleviate it where they can, did so himself as proof of it's eventual eradication in totality, and promised that in the end he would rectify all such tragedy. We are left with this child either way, but on your view justice is never served. Annihilating hope is the most illogical effort a human can make. As depressing as that picture is I can hope for eternal restoration and thousand of children like this are alleviated in this world by Christianity every year. You can only say "Oh well".

I didn’t say you nor any other Christian wouldn’t be in favour of helping them. It was your statement about hope and eternal restoration that prompted me to say what I did. And by the way, who is annihilating hope?

You don’t need me to share the long list of secular aid organizations that exist in this world, do you? Not that I said anything about Christian charities not existing or something.
And obviously I disagree that ultimate hope for man rests in some sort of god figure.
As an interesting side note. I know personally people who have spent much of their lives in feeding Africa's hungry. They are growing very disgusted. They dig wells, when they come back they are full of human waste and garbage. The food has taken (I will have to approximate as I cant remember but the ratio is accurate) ten million starving people and turned them into 70 million almost starving people. In other words the more help you give the more need for help is created in many cases. Some more thought needs to go into how to help instead of demanding money to throw at things. No real point here but a fact you seldom hear. All you hear is the give me your money or you wish for children to starve line the left regurgitates. Without addressing the root causes (and your side denies they exist to begin with) only symptoms can be temporarily treated.
Did it occur to them to educate the people about cleanliness and not pooping in your water supply? It would only take a few words.

My side denies that root causes of poverty don’t exist? Who is “my side” and what are you talking about? Root causes like lack of water, food, education and being able to control one’s reproductive cycle? Root causes like abstinence-only education and refusing to provide them with condoms to help stop the spread of AIDS? Stuff like that?

Dr Sims England's chief psychiatric professor committed suicide. He was an atheist but in his note left behind he said that since Psychiatry no longer viewed failures as moral failures (sins) they no longer could cure anyone and could only treat symptoms and could not take it any longer.
Are you talking about Dr. Myre Sim, founding member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists who passed away peacefully in 2009? He said mental illness is the result of moral failures?

On a personal note, I got into psychology, rather than psychiatry precisely because I wanted to get to the core of peoples’ problems, rather than just handing them drugs and sending them on their way. That’s the kind of attitude “my side” has about it.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Actually I'm saying the first in lieu of the other. The other requires God making himself known.
It only requires God to exist. God would found morality in objectivity if he exists whether you knew of him or not.

No society need not justify telling you mother what to do. Maybe if they are nice and dictate it as as a moral requirement otherwise, there is no requirement that the laws be justified to every individual person. Only that it is enforced.
What? Probably the number one marker of a societal system is law. I used to work in federal court rooms and spent much time in the judges chamber reading law books. There was hundreds of them full of do not do X and do not do Y and they all applied to every citizen in the nation including my mother. In fact in my example the government could do and has done in millions of cases exactly what I said. They draft a mothers sons and demand she surrender them. The only way anyone can justify this is if they would use them for a greater objective good not to stop an act that merely socially unfashionable. That is why drafts are always justified by objective values that don't exist without God.

According to your personal morals. The morality of other people don't necessarily have to agree with this.
If people acted like you believe we would live in 6 billion micro nations and probably all be fighting all 5,999,999 of the others.

Actually group morality is dependent on group goals. So if the morality of the group is sexual liberation then paying the cost of this goal is also moral. For many it is immoral for the government not to pay these costs.
I am only interested in philosophy, biology, and morality as it effects arguments about God. Your preemptively denying God and then speculating about what would be true in that case. Since I agree in most part and since it is irrelevant to God's existence there is no debate. I know what moral theory looks like without God. It looks like this:

"The time has come to take seriously the fact that we humans are modified monkeys, not the favored Creation of a Benevolent God on the Sixth Day. In particular, we must recognize our biological past in trying to understand our interactions with others. We must think again especially about our so-called 'ethical principles'. The question is not whether biology- specifically, our evolution-is connected with ethics, but how. As evolutionists, we see that no justification of the traditional kind is possible. Morality, or more strictly our belief in morality, is merely an adaptation put in place to further our reproductive ends. Hence the basis of ethics does not lie in God's will ...In an important sense, ethics as we understand it is an illusion fobbed off on us by our genes to get us to cooperate. It is without external grounding... Ethics is illusory inasmuch as it persuades us that it has an objective reference. This is the crux of the biological position. Once it is grasped, everything falls into place."
Michael Ruse

This the non-theistic philosopher of science agreeing with me that your moral opinions are illusions.

It is depressing, it will produce moral chaos (and it has), and suffering. It however is true and irrelevant to my original claims.

Or how about this one:

“The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. It must be so. If there ever is a time of plenty, this very fact will automatically lead to an increase in the population until the natural state of starvation and misery is restored. In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.”
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/22201-the-total-amount-of-suffering-per-year-in-the-natural

If I had to look at the world through their eyes I would be reduced to tears and hopelessness.

All of these issues are accepted as moral by whoever has the power to enforce these morals, else such actions would not occur. Sorry this just shows your belief in a moral truth is not universal.
Right, without Go it will always become right by might. With God it is might and right.

Apparently God is not capable of convincing people that their morals are immoral or possibly God holds a different moral then you believe he does.
I said many times God grants us the power to agree or not. We are corrupt and do not agree with him or each other most of the time.

God expect love through his apparent absence? Love does not work that way.
You cannot simultaneously say you have been spiritual born again and God is absent. It is self refuting. I as usual and consistent, he exists and I know it because I am born again. Not only this but he actually came to earth and helped everyone he met. He did not remain aloof from our suffering as is his right. He entered into the greatest possible suffering. He did not conquer in spite of suffering he conquered through it. BTW did you know that the claims that back up the events I describe are agreed to being historically accurate by a consensus of NT scholars regardless of faith?

I'm happy to have choice... (ignoring the thread on freewill :rolleyes:) However I need a reason for making that choice, at least a reason for making choices other than I have.
You can't find the source of truth without God. Without God determinism is far more likely as Dawkins and countless naturalists suggest.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
This:

“Thanks for making my day a little darker. God never ever ever ever promised justice in this world. He in fact stated over and over again why injustice will occur, it's source, commissioned his people to attempt to alleviate it where they can, did so himself as proof of it's eventual eradication in totality, and promised that in the end he would rectify all such tragedy. We are left with this child either way, but on your view justice is never served. Annihilating hope is the most illogical effort a human can make. As depressing as that picture is I can hope for eternal restoration and thousand of children like this are alleviated in this world by Christianity every year. You can only say "Oh well".
I missed the part where I said this was in exclusion to anything else and you missed the parts where I mention the hands on current work done by Christians (in many cases almost exclusively) to do what you suggested. I merely pointed out the mush larger and more important picture. We both can feed them and my fellow Christians do far more than their share of it. However we can offer both an ultimate solution in this life and eternity on top of treating symptoms.

I didn’t say you nor any other Christian wouldn’t be in favour of helping them. It was your statement about hope and eternal restoration that prompted me to say what I did. And by the way, who is annihilating hope?
Your world view has no possible eternal hope and not much hope for actual solutions currently. You however as we can and do treat symptoms.

You don’t need me to share the long list of secular aid organizations that exist in this world, do you? Not that I said anything about Christian charities not existing or something.
You said my views either are against short term help, or that I did not care. Inventing words and attributing them to me that include "Oh well XXXXX" contain such obvious implications they can't be covered up. I did not attack non-theistic giving so that is not an issue at all. Stay on the page I am on please.

And obviously I disagree that ultimate hope for man rests in some sort of god figure.
That is irrelevant. Your world view doe snot offer any ultimate hope and does not have the slightest clue if it is true.

Did it occur to them to educate the people about cleanliness and not pooping in your water supply? It would only take a few words.
Don't know but knowing them I am quite sure they did so.

My side denies that root causes of poverty don’t exist? Who is “my side” and what are you talking about? Root causes like lack of water, food, education and being able to control one’s reproductive cycle? Root causes like abstinence-only education and refusing to provide them with condoms to help stop the spread of AIDS? Stuff like that?
Your side denies the true root causes why poverty exists because you pre-emptively rule out half of reality before hand without the slightest idea if your justified. By all moral logic you hold on to hope in the absence of a defeater. Your side are those that deny God's existence and the half of reality that goes out with him. Condoms do not prevent aids and did not cause it. So again your not treating the root cause. Lack of food and water is an effect not a cause. I am trying to resist launching into a theological morality speech concerning sin, tithing, obedience, etc... and what they produce for your sake and because you would deny them without the slightest justification.

Are you talking about Dr. Myre Sim, founding member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists who passed away peacefully in 2009? He said mental illness is the result of moral failures?
I had heard that many years ago, I had forgotten about it, but yesterday I heard it quoted several times. I need to source it and copy it for later use so I will defer contending with you about this until I do. I can tell you my sources are impeccable but not infallible. Ravi Zacharias (with about a thousand degrees and one of the most sought after speakers even in secular circles) and Lennox (a pure mathematics professor from Princton and also very sought after by secular universities etc...).

On a personal note, I got into psychology, rather than psychiatry precisely because I wanted to get to the core of peoples’ problems, rather than just handing them drugs and sending them on their way. That’s the kind of attitude “my side” has about it.
No that is the attitude you may have about it. Secular doctors have routinely over medicated by orders of magnitude and this loosely corresponds to the secular evolution in the late 50's.

I have to leave, C-ya.

Clear

Premium Member
Hi Robin1 :

clear said:
: "I honestly have enjoyed your points and the type of thoughts they bring to mind. I like your logic and many of the rationales. I notice that when discussing God and morals, the Historians have one type of discussion, the scientists have another type of discussion; the philosophers have other types of discussions, etc.

My point was that your premise is based on your assumption that “Christianity”
“posits a God who creates ex-nihilo.” While philosophers have discussions based on this premise, the historians of the earliest Christianity would not have that conversation since ex-nihilo was not, historically the earliest teaching in Christianity, but is a later model for creation.

Since ex-nihilo is an assumption in your basic premise I wanted to point out that this sort of premise itself is somewhat arbitrary since you’ve simply chosen one premise over another. I don’t want to undercut your logic or reasoning but simply to inject a historical principle. Like you, I believe authentic religious morals are not arbitrary and, like you, I believe in the Christian God, but I simply wanted you to consider that your premise is based on one of several Christian theories, the adoption of which itself is personal.

While I think your points are quite well described philosophically, they are not necessarily correct historically. The early Judeo-Christians did not believe in ex-nihilo creation but believed matter existed and the worlds were created out of disorganized matter.

For example, one of the earliest Christian apologists
, Justin Martyr, in his First Apology, says
"We have been taught that He in the beginning did of his goodness, for man's sake, create all things out of unformed matter (e
clear said:
x amorphou hyles). First Apology, 49.

Even the modern premise of what is involved in “creation” is different in later Christianity than it was to the ancient Christians. To the ancients, such creation meant organization of the elements, as the Codex Brucianus says "Creation is organization" (Manuscript No 96) and it explains that first, there is matter. And what is done with the matter it that it is organized into things created. ΚΟΣΜΟΣ (Cosmos) MEANS order (κοσμος was also used to mean the created world in greek literature as well).

Robin1 said : I am sure that some have disagreed but that is the mainstream Christian belief. Scripture says God created the universe from nothing by the power of his word. Where is there even a hint of reshaping pre-existent matter there. I do not even know a single verse that even if tortured and mangled could be used to suggest that.

Hi Robin1;

While I do not live in the world of philosophy (but still respect your interactions), you do not live in the world of Early Christian textual historians. My point is that our contexts are different. Perhaps I can introduce the point of creation out of matter by using several frame of references that might make sense. Please remember, my point is simply that early judeo-christians did not accept your premise that the world was created "out of nothing". I think many of your other points were perfectly fine. In fact, some of your points were quite wonderful and well said and influential (at least to me). Some seemed oversimplified and overstated.

1) THE DOCTRINE OF CREATION FROM MATTER WAS TAUGHT ANCIENTLY

Many ancients and early Christians UNDERSTOOD a creation out of pre-existing matter, and not ex-nihilo. It is not merely Justin Martyr, in his First Apology, that teaches that God “…create[d] all things out of unformed matter(ex amorphou hyles). First Apology, 49. But Philo also describes the doctrine of his day when he says : "when the substance of the universe was without shape and figure God gave it these; when it had no definite character God molded it into definiteness. . ." (De Somniis 2.6.45).
Justin Martyr, tells us that the leaders also taught this doctrine. In discussing this preexistent primal matter (hyle), assures us, "we have learned" from our revelations was in the tradition of Clement (c. A.D. 96) who had praised God who "has made manifest (ephaneropoiesas) the everlasting fabric (aenaon sustasin) of the world." Clement was Peters protégé who converted to Christianity and later became a bishop to the roman congregation. Thus, he is quite an orthodox source for his day.

Athenagoras, (despite his stress on the transcendence of God), explains concerning the creator : "He came forth to be the energizing power of things, which lay like a nature without attributes, and an inactive earth, the grosser particles being mixed up with the lighter."

Creation from matter is implicit throughout Greco-Roman literature of the time of Christianity's inception, and there is no indication in the Christian writings that they held a different view. On the contrary, the famous late nineteenth-century study by Edwin Hatch on the inroads of Greek philosophy into early Christianity describes the tacit but widespread assumption of the coexistence of matter with God.

2) EARLY JUDAO-CHRISTIAN WRITINGS

In the Secrets of Enoch, 25.1-3, God says, "I commanded . . . that visible things should come from unseen . . . ." (Dodd, The Bible and the Greeks, p. 111.) αορατο does not mean “invisible” but merely “unseen” things.
This is what I meant that, the ancients understood that creation did not mean that things were created out of “nothing”, but creation meant organization of the elements, ("Creation is organization" of matter, not making something of “nothing”)
This is also why I used greek ΚΟΣΜΟΣ as an example, it is simply a bringing to order of existing material rather than creating material from “nothing”.

The early Jewish Apocalype of Abraham hails God as “the one who brings order out of confusion, ever preparing and renewing worlds for the righteous.:
The Berlin (Mandaean) Papyrus says " At the same time, the great thought came to the elements in united wisdom, spirit joining with matter." Matter can be imbued with spirit (such as the spirit and body of man), but it will always be undergoing change and processing.

Pistis Sophia says "I (christ) called upon Gabriel from the midst of the worlds (aeons) along with Michael, pursuant to the command of my Father...and I gave to them the task of outpouring of the light and caused them to go down into matter unorganized (chaos) and assist Pistis Sophis"

Even 2 Maccabees, which is often used to SUPPORT ex nihilo, has Syriac recensions as well as some Greek manuscripts describing an organization of inchoate matter, which is also the explicit position of Wisdom of Solomon 11:17 where we read of God's hand which "created the world out of unformed matter (κτισασατονκοσμονεχαμορφου hyles)," Even the "non-existent" cited in in 2 Maccabees 7:28 is not absolute nothing, but . . . the metaphysical substance . . . in an uncrystallized state." This relative "nonbeing" referred to a chaotic, shadowy state of matter before the world was made; as we might say in biblical terms, "without form and void."

The Early writings are full of references regarding how chaotic matter is used. The ancients understood that "At a new creation there is a reshuffling of elements" This particular 'restating' of the 'conservation of mass' is from Ben Sirach. But the principle is also found in the Odes of Solomon; it's in the Ginza; it's in the Mandaean Johannesbuch; it's in Berlin Manichaean; it's in the Pistis Sophia, and it's in the oldest and most impressive Coptic writings.

The point here is that these were common teachings and the ancients were NOT unaware of matter and how it was used in creation from chaotic matter (rather than the later doctrine of creation from "nothing").

POST TWO OF FOUR FOLLOWS

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
POST TWO OF FOUR

3) ALTERNATE INTERPRETATION AND TRANSLATIONS OF PASSAGES FOR SCRIPTURE

Though non-historian Theist-religionists tend to get their views from similar sacred texts, they often come away with different interpretations of what is meant, and thus, with different beliefs regarding what they read.

FOR EXAMPLE GENESIS 1:1-2

Frank Cross (of DDS) concludes that it was the ex nihilo creation tradition itself which prompted the 1600's era translation of Gen. 1:1 found in the King James and similar versions. Other versions of the Bible have noticed the forcing within the translation and have NOT followed the wording of the King James. For example, according to The Interpreter's Bible, the Hebrew bere' sit would more properly be rendered "In the beginning OF" creation rather than simply "In the beginning."

Many other scholars agree in this. E.A. Speiser translates Gen 1:1 "When God set about to create heaven and earth, the world being then a formless waste. ." or, as Cross renders it "When God began to create the heaven and the earth, then God said, 'Let there be light.'" Thus the traditional translation of Gen. 1:1 as an independent statement, implying that God first created matter out of nothing, and then (verse 2.) proceeded to fashion the world from that raw material, is now widely questioned, and several recent translations have adopted the approach advocated by Speiser and Cross.

Spieser, who translated Gen 1:1 as above, then adds: “The question, however, is not the ultimate truth about cosmogony, but only the exact meaning of the Genesis passages which deal with the subject.. . . At all events, the text should be allowed to speak for itself.”

Other modern versions which incorporate this usage include The New Jewish Version: "When God began to create the heaven and the earth, the earth being unformed and void. . . ."; similarly The Bible, An American Translation (1931); The Westminster Study Edition of the Holy Bible (1948); Moffat's translation (1935); and the Revised Standard Version (RSV), ahave alternate readings supporting this view.

Though your statement on “bara” was incorrect, The translation of the word "created" is under equal scrutiny. The Hebrew verb bara' of the opening verse "In the beginning God created ..." is, here translated "created", and in ex-nihilo tradition is usually reserved in the Old Testament for God's activity in forming the world and all things in it. However, synonymous terms and phrases scattered throughout the Hebrew scriptures exclude this word as evidence that only an ex nihilo creation is being described in Gen. 1. The most common of these synonyms are yasar, (to shape or form), fn and 'asah, (to make or produce).

In a study of the Hebrew conception of the created order, Luis Stadelmann insists that both bara', and ‘yasar’ carry the anthropomorphic sense of fashioning, while 'asah connotes a more general idea of production. Throughout the Old Testament the image of creation is that of the craftsman fashioning a work of art and skill, the potter shaping the vessel out of clay, or the weaver at his loom. The heavens and the earth are "the work of God's hand." Thus to translate bara' as "to organize", or "to shape" or "to mold" etc are as valid as "to create", and none of these implies ex nihilo creation.

For example: "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." and later he creates again "God created man in his own image; in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Gen. i: 27.

In both passages the Greek verb for "created" is identical, and if it’s usage in the first verse is not synonymous with it’s usage in the twenty-seventh, Moses fails to make this distinction. Violence is done to language when we affirm that the same word when used in expressing a continuous act of creation, signifies in the beginning of the act a creation out of nothing, (the earth) later on in the process then mean a simple molding of elements (Adam out of dust or clay).

In all these texts the word "figure" or "mold" may rightly be substituted for "formed" or "created." But we have already seen that "create" should have synonymous meaning when used in relation to the creation of the world, that it certainly has when the formation of a body for Adam is spoken of. As thus used, it is equivalent to the English "figure," and it is apparent that Genesis i: I, should be translated, "In the beginning the Gods shaped, fashioned or molded the heavens and the earth."

“Create”, in different usages may signify to settle, found, build, create, generally to make, render so and so. In the following passages of the Bible the word is translated "create." "Create in me a clean heart." Psalms. li: 10. "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works." Eph. ii: 10. "Neither was the man created for the woman. I Cor. xi: 9. "Commanding to abstain from meats which God hath created," etc. I Tim. iv: 3. "For thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." Rev. iv. II. None of these passages afford any foundation for the idea of a creation out of nothing.

The "creation" of a new heart is the “regeneration” of the old one.
Our "creation" in Christ Jesus involves a “purification”, and a “consecration” of powers to new purposes. God took a portion of the dust of the earth elements already in existence and out of this ”created” man. Meats are ”created” out of pre-existent substance.

The Harper's Bible Commentary reads: As most modern translations recognize, the P creation account (1:1-2:4a) begins with a temporal clause ("When, in the beginning, God created"); such a translation puts Gen. 1:1 in agreement with the opening of the J account (2:4b) and with other ancient, Near Eastern creation myths. . . . The description of the precreation state in v.2 probably is meant to suggest a storm-tossed sea: darkness, a great wind, the water abyss . . . chaotic forces.

The KJT of Gen. 1:2, which renders the Hebrew as "void," has been used to support to the creation ex nihilo theory, whereas actually this word always occurs in the Old Testament in tandem with tohu ("formless"), describing a "formless waste," or the "chaos" common to most Near Eastern creation mythology The earth was tohu wabohu: "without form and void," as the Authorized (King James) Version renders it, "and darkness was upon the face of the deep (tehom)," i.e., the watery chaos (cf. 2 Pet. 3:5). This hardly signifies absolute nonexistence; rather it speaks of the formless primeval chaotic matter, the Urstoff out of which the Creator fashioned the world. If one DOES associate Gen. 1 with the ubiquitous creation stories of antiquity, it would more strongly support ruling out creation ex nihilo as the idea behind the biblical text.

"'Tohu wabohu' means the formless; the primeval waters over which darkness was superimposed characterizes the chaos materially as a watery primeval element, but at the same time gives a dimensional association: “tehom ('sea of chaos') is the cosmic abyss. . . . This declaration, then, belongs completely to the description of chaos and does not yet lead into the creative activity. . . ." Brown, Driver, and Briggs, A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament (Oxford - Clarendon Press -, p. 26. Cf. von Rad, Genesis , p. 49) However, the Septuagint's rendition of the Hebrew tohu wabohu in Gen. 1:2 as aoratos kai akataskeuastos (unseen and unfurnished) "probably meant to suggest the creation of the visible world out of preexistent invisible elements" (Dodd, The Bible and the Greeks, p. 111).

Just as elsewhere in the Old Testament, when the Lord God "laid the foundations of the earth," his command brought response from the elements rather than effecting existence as such (Ps. 104:5-9; cf. Isa. 48:13), so also, admits Gerhard von Rad (who DOES embrace ex nihilo), in Gen. 1 "the actual concern of this entire report of creation is to give prominence, form and order to the creation out of chaos," ( i.e., unorganized, chaotic matter). Accordingly, Speiser's extensive analysis of the Hebrew in the first verses of Genesis forces him (also an ex-nihilist), to concede "To be sure my interpretation precludes the view that the creation accounts say nothing about coexistent matter."(a strangely worded and reluctant admission...)

POST THREE OF THREE FOLLOWS

Clear

Premium Member
POST THREE OF FOUR

[FONT=&quot]Most often people will offer generic passages such as Heb 11:3 to support the idea of creation from nothing. For example, in the common English version the text is as follows: "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made out of things that do appear." Heb. xi, 3. However, just as the translation in Genesis does not clearly support ex nihilo, all scriptures rendering the word "CREATE" such as used in Hebrews 11:3 is just as easily interpreted to refer to pre-existing matter.

As scholars consider words of the Greek text, one important word would be the word which is translated "framed" in this text. To show the word "Framed" supports ex nihilo, it must be shown that the term signifies to actually CREATE ex nihilo. But this cannot be done without forcing the text since the word is so often used in the sense of to “repair”, to “restore” from breach or decay, to “mend”, to “put in order”, to “reform”, to “appoint”; “perfect”; “adjust”, or to “train” rather than to “create out of “nothing”.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Nowhere can we find the claim advanced that this Greek term, signifies “to create out of nothing”. Our dictionary gives no such definition. If "framed" was, in this instance, taken out of a normal context and placed into a specific context to support creation out of nothing, the writer could have paused and clarified that in this instance the Greek for "framed" meant something different than the normal ussage of "to adjust, adapt, knit together, restore, or put in joint,". But this he does not do, but rather he leaves the sense of the sentence to the sense that is common for his readers.

The next words requiring special attention are which are translated "the worlds." Such, however, is not their real meaning at all. The latter is compounded of two words the first signifying "always," and the other "being" The Greek terms used to express forever, forever and forever, everlasting, eternal and eternity, are all derived from this same source, and thus it is more likely that the writer, by metonomy, used "the eternities" for "the worlds." This fact is very important, since the metonomy requires that which is signified by any certain term must bear some distinct relation or resemblance to that thing it signifies. If "the eternities" mean "the worlds,", then something about the latter must be eternal

Scriptures such as Heb. 11: 3, do not teach the creation of all things, “out of nothing” but rather it implies that God, by the power of faith, applied order and harmony upon pre-existing elements of the world; and that these visible creations were not made by material agencies which are seen (such as tools of men), but rather they are created by the power of an invisible faith which is not seen, or, does not appear.

Furthermore, in Rom. 9:20-23 Paul himself employs the “potter-vessel image” of Isa. 29:16, while 2 Pet. 3:5 reminds us that the earth "was formed out of water" (RSV)–the primeval chaos, or "deep" of Gen. 1:2 Such considerations coordinate New Testament writers with those of the Old when they referred to the creation. What this means for the present discussion is that no one in authority had yet taught of a creation "out of nothing."[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

4) MODERN CHRISTIAN WRITINGS

Foerster, in Theological Dictionary, 3:1010. Relates that "The idea of a command presupposes the existence of ministering and obedient power to carry out the will to create." "It would be wrong," the editors of the New Jerusalem Bible say of Genesis 1:1, "to read the metaphysical concept of 'creation from nothingness' into the text."

"The Hebrew words conventionally rendered 'create,' " notes T. H. Gaster, "though they came eventually to be used in an extended, metaphorical sense, are derived from handicrafts and plastic arts, and refer primarily to the mechanical fashioning of shapes, not to biological processes or metaphysical bringing into existence." They originally denoted actions such as to cut out or pare leather, to mold something into shape, or to fabricate something. Thus, it is hardly surprising that the Bible can describe creation as "the work of [God's] hands." (And it scarcely needs to be pointed out that the presupposition underlying such terms and such a description is anthropomorphic in the extreme.)

"Throughout the Old Testament," writes Keith Norman, "the image is that of the craftsman fashioning a work of art and skill, the potter shaping the vessel out of clay, or the weaver at his loom."

The drama of God's creating by organizing chaos is thoroughly treated by Jon D. Levenson, (a prior Albert A. List Professor at Harvard): “Although it is now generally recognized that creation ex nihilo . . . is not an adequate characterization of creation in the Hebrew Bible, the legacy of this dogmatic or propositional understanding lives on and continues to distort the perceptions of scholars and lay persons alike.”

Richard Sorabji concludes: "There is no clear statement in the Bible, or in Jewish-Hellenistic literature, of creation out of nothing (in a sense which includes a beginning of the material universe). On the contrary, such a view was invented by Christians in the second century a.d., in controversy with the Gnostics."

David Winston concurs. Winston notes that the notion was first expressed by the Christian Neoplatonist Tatian and by Theophilus. Moreover, the Bible contains clear statements of creation out of chaos. Job chapters 28 and 38 refer to God bringing order out of preexisting chaos. As I discussed, 1Gen. 1:1 indicates a creation out of chaos.

It would seem, in fact, that the notion of creation from nothing is not clearly taught by anybody until well past the period of primitive Christianity (approx 100 a.d.), that it was a non-issue for the earliest Christians, that it does not come to dominate theological thinking and writing even for some period beyond that, and that it must be “read into” early Jewish and Christian texts if it is to be found there at all.

post four of four follows[/FONT]

Clear

Premium Member
POST FOUR OF FOUR

[FONT=&quot]
5) THE NATURE OF AND NATURE OF THE EARLIEST WRITINGS AGAINST CREATION FROM MATTER

In fact, the later rash of arguments IN FAVOR favor of creation from nothing near the end of the second century points to the newness of the doctrine of creation from nothing. For example, Tertullian's tracts (he is against creation from matter) especially adds to the evidence since his argument FOR creation from nothing was against established beliefs within his Church. His tract was directed against a fellow Christians and not against non-christian Platonists.

Tertullian himself concedes that creation out of nothing is not explicitly stated in the scriptures, but merely asserts that since it is not denied either, the silence on the matter implies that God does have the power to create ex nihilo, since (for him), it seemed more logical.

There was a time however when the idea of a creation ex nihilo was being discussed in Christian intellectual circles. For example, Clement of Alexandria himself seems aware of the difference between an absolute creation out of nothing and creation out of primal matter in at least one passage (where he does not view it as crucial to orthodoxy). But in his "Hymn to the Paedogogus" he clearly favors the view of creation from preexistent material:

O King. . . .Maker of all,
who heaven and heaven's adornment by the Divine Word
alone didst make;. . . according to a well-ordered plan;
out of a confused heap who didst create
This ordered sphere,

and
from the shapeless mass of matter
didst the universe adorn
. . . .

Eusebius
says (in trying to discourage the doctrine of creation from matter) that it is unholy to say that matter is unbegotten or was only organized at the creation. Notice the preaching he was trying to stop - that matter was not created and was only organized at the creation. It wasn't created out of nothing; it was organized. He says that's what the early church taught, (but HE felt it was wrong to say this and was trying to stamp out the doctrine). Plato's Demiurge, (which remarkably resembles the "Word" (logos) in John 1:1-14), was the maker of the world (but even Plato's Demiurge created the world out of preexistent eternal material). (Timaeus 27d-29e, 53a-56c)

Athenagoras,
in his earlier Plea for the Christians to Marcus Aurelius and Commodus still taught a creation by God from preexisting matter, on the analogy of a potter and his clay. He explicitly states God as an artificer (demiourgos) requires matter.

Justin
describes God's creative role to be that of a giver of forms and shapes to matter already present seems so natural to him that the idea of creation from pre-existing matter that he seems never to have regarded it as a problem.

Origen
(who DID, initially believe in ex-nihilo) later teaching against it admits that it WAS taught at the Christian school in alexandria at an earlier time by earlier and distinguished christians. Origen, (First Principles 2.1.4), expressed his surprise that "So many distinguished men" have believed in uncreated matter.
Thomas rogers (In Milton's De Doctrina Christiana), notes that the Great Milton, (who knew Hebrew and things Jewish), reasons that neither the Hebrew, nor the Greek, nor yet the Latin verb for create can possibly signify "create out of nothing" (Christian Doctrine , 975-76).

The concept of “creation from nothing” seems to be introduced in bits and pieces in the second century and the campaign for the doctrine to achieve pre-eminence over doctrine from matter achieves more popularity from that time onward.

I think that Sorabji and Winston were correct; that the evolution toward the adoption of Ex Nihilo was used partly as a premise to avoid the taint of ”cosmism” (which the Gods in surrounding religions were subject to) (i.e. the idea that God worked with matter, processed it, adapted it, and used it as a workman, and artisan).

What marks the fourth century, as Alfoldi puts it, is "the victory of abstract ways of thinking-the universal triumph of theory, which knows no half measures. The Gnostic idea of the body as a prison is entirely at home with the doctors of the church. They love it because matter is vile."

Groucho Marx (paraphrasing) joked that : “I wouldn’t join any club which would consider a person like me for membership.” In strange logic, I wonder if people don’t tell themselves “I can’t possibly believe in any sort of God that can be understood.” and thus pile mystery upon mystery onto their definition of God (and spirit, and matter) until they truly believe such things cannot BE understood.

I believe that the historians are correct regarding the great motive behind ex-nihilo was the neo-platonic philosophy that matter was too vulgar and too common for a “great” and “extraordinary” God to simply USE and MANIPULATE. Ex-nihilo elevated him to a God that NOW, can create something out of nothing, as though such an embellishment somehow made him greater than he was. Just as children brag “My dad can beat up your dad”, the christians wanted a reason to claim “My God is better than your God. Mine doesn’t need matter to create”. (Whereas the other Gods did because their traditions had them creating out of matter.

This eschewing of association of God and matter continues in our days. for example; The Great Jesuit H.A. Brongers says that God “just thinks” and all is there at once (forgetting the “process” of creation that took TIME”). He claims that the idea of God working matter, using something already there is horrifying because that deprives him of all his divinity (Though no one explains just HOW that logic works...). His explanation is that “It involves him with the physical world”. So what? Whether ex-nihilo, or from matter, God IS involved with the physical world that he made and placed us in.

6) CONSIDERATION OF EX-NIHILO AS A RATIONAL ARGUMENT

Regarding ex-nihilo, there can be no appeal upon purely rational grounds. Ex Nihilo would be debatable were there in existence a self-evident maxim that all things were created out of nothing; but no such proposition was ever defended as a self-evident truth. It owes its origin purely to religious influences rather than any scientific or geological influence.

Any an attempt to support ex nihilo by appeal to the rationality of this principle amounts simply to a question of the rational faculties of mankind in forming rational judgments. Creation from nothing on a purely rational basis denies the correctness of intuitive convictions and demolishes all criteria for judging between the right and the wrong

My point is that the early Judeo-Christians did not take the position that all material things were created "out of nothing", but they, like modern scientists claim, believed that material things were made of material. Matter.

Though I think you are doing a wonderful job of making some logical and rational points (others, not so good...), I do not think the specific point that the material world was created out of "nothing" is logical or rational and, historically, the Judeo-Christians did not accept this theory as their base belief, but this was a later theory, and, whether one grew up in the early period where the world was felt to be created from matter, or in the later christianity which adopted a creation from "nothing", was somewhat itself arbitrary.

At any rate, I wish you good luck in your journey robin1.

Clear
φυνεφυφυφυω
[/FONT]

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I missed the part where I said this was in exclusion to anything else and you missed the parts where I mention the hands on current work done by Christians (in many cases almost exclusively) to do what you suggested. I merely pointed out the mush larger and more important picture. We both can feed them and my fellow Christians do far more than their share of it. However we can offer both an ultimate solution in this life and eternity on top of treating symptoms.
I probably missed the part where you mention hands on work currently being done by Christians because that came after my initial post.

Sorry, but just telling people that some god exists, imo, is not any ultimate solution to anything. It doesn’t change their situation in any way. I would agree that educating, feeding and clothing them certainly does change their situation for the better.
You have no more idea than anyone else what happens when we all die. What if you’re offering nothing but false hope? I’d rather focus my efforts and energies on the only life we KNOW for certain that we get to live and to work on improving this world we have to live in.
Your world view has no possible eternal hope and not much hope for actual solutions currently. You however as we can and do treat symptoms.
Sure it does. I have all kinds of eternal hope for humanity AND for actual solutions to problems we face.
You said my views either are against short term help, or that I did not care. Inventing words and attributing them to me that include "Oh well XXXXX" contain such obvious implications they can't be covered up.
I highlighted the words in your statement that prompted my response.
I did not attack non-theistic giving so that is not an issue at all. Stay on the page I am on please.
In regards to starving children you said non-theists can only just shrug our shoulders and say “oh well,” while theists are trying to help them and share their god and some kind of god-hope with them. You said “my side” doesn’t deal with roots of problems. I’m trying to point out to you that a great deal of us care just as much about other human beings as the people who believe in god(s) do.
That is irrelevant. Your world view doe snot offer any ultimate hope and does not have the slightest clue if it is true.
You don’t have the slightest clue whether your world view is true or not either. You don’t have any special information that other people aren’t privy to. You’re stuck on this earth with the rest of us.

We all know for a fact that we get at least this one life, here on earth. That’s all we know for certain. I prefer to work with that.

Don't know but knowing them I am quite sure they did so.
Maybe they need a school where they can be educated on such important information.

Was learning about Christianity a prerequisite for receiving help from said missionaries?
Your side denies the true root causes why poverty exists because you pre-emptively rule out half of reality before hand without the slightest idea if your justified.
For all you know you could be just making up half of this “reality” you speak of. Maybe you’re just giving people false hope without the slightest idea “if your justified.”
The only reality I know, as I said, is that we get this one life to live. That’s a demonstrable fact.
By all moral logic you hold on to hope in the absence of a defeater. Your side are those that deny God's existence and the half of reality that goes out with him.
Again, reality for everyone doesn’t include this god you speak of. For some people reality used to be that Zeus, Hera, etc. were watching us all from Mount Olympus.
Condoms do not prevent aids and did not cause it.
They certainly help prevent the spread of it. So does comprehensive sexual education. AIDS is caused by a virus.
So again your not treating the root cause.
There are at this very moment all kinds of doctors and scientists doing their best to eradicate this terrible virus (the cause of AIDS).
Lack of food and water is an effect not a cause.
Lack of food and water aren’t causes of poverty? They aren’t at least some of the causes of war? Really?
I am trying to resist launching into a theological morality speech concerning sin, tithing, obedience, etc... and what they produce for your sake and because you would deny them without the slightest justification.
Good. Original sin didn’t cause AIDS or poverty. Tithing and obedience to god won’t make them disappear. Actual action on our part can.
I had heard that many years ago, I had forgotten about it, but yesterday I heard it quoted several times. I need to source it and copy it for later use so I will defer contending with you about this until I do. I can tell you my sources are impeccable but not infallible. Ravi Zacharias (with about a thousand degrees and one of the most sought after speakers even in secular circles) and Lennox (a pure mathematics professor from Princton and also very sought after by secular universities etc...).
The only thing I could find on the guy was his obituary that stated he died peacefully at his home and two quotes which had nothing to do with what you had said.
No that is the attitude you may have about it. Secular doctors have routinely over medicated by orders of magnitude and this loosely corresponds to the secular evolution in the late 50's.
I have to leave, C-ya.
It has nothing to do with the “secular evolution” of the 50’s, and everything to do with the development of new drugs, advances in medicine and neuroscience and the surge in technology we’ve seen over the last half century.

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
...It is a fact that without a God very similar in type to the Judeo Christian God moral truth can't possibly exist...
So what are you saying? The people of India didn't have moral truth until Christianity came to India, because their God isn't like the Christian God? And then you use the term "Judeo Christian God" as if it's the same thing, but Jews don't believe in the God that most Christians do? So what is this "fact"? Could you clarify what you're trying to say a little.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
All these religious groups you mentioned were doctrinated or indoctrinated differently, and obviously for that reason, they can not or will never agree with each other, unless one compromises ones belief just for the sake of unity among religions...
Where did their ideas of God and truth come from? A lot of people stay in their own religion because they believe it is the truth. However, if you're a Christian you believe they don't have the truth and don't know the truth. So don't you want them to question and examine their own religion and others, and then compare them to Christianity?

The problem is that Christians won't do the same. If you studied them all. Tried them all, that would be different. But most people don't care enough to see why other people and cultures believe like they do. The closest they come is to find out way their own religion believes the others are wrong and why they are right. But, that's a lot different then understanding another persons beliefs.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
So this is Justice? This is absolute morality? You can shove it up your ***.
dadaab-farah_1956686i.jpg
Horn of Africa drought: starving children suffer during famine in Somalia

Somalia's 20-year-old civil war is partly to blame for turning the drought in the Horn of Africa into a famine. Analysts warned that aid agencies could be airlifting emergency supplies to the failed state 20 years from now unless the U.N.-backed government improves.

"Corruption is a major part of the problem in Somalia," said Rashid Abdi, a Somalia analyst at the International Crisis Group. "This drought did not come out of nowhere, but the (Somali) government did not do anything to prepare for it. Instead they spent all their time fighting each other."

And you blame this on God? This is the human side of immorality and not God’s absolute morality. "Corruption is a major part of the problem in Somalia," We human did it to ourselves.

God’s absolute morality is not subject to, or define by, our opinion.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
The Christian view, from what I understand is that God is just. His morals are absolute and not subject to the morals of man. Meaning you don't get to say whether they are right or wrong.

Man neither has the knowledge nor authority to question God's morality. That we do in the first place is the result of or own ignorance.

Children do die. We may not understand the morality nor see the justice in this fact. This is because of our own ignorance, not because God is immoral.

For the Christian, God is a reality. Not the strawman of some ethical scenario. To know God's will requires first belief in the Bible as God's standard for man.

So I think the question would be, what do you not understand about the Bible which makes it seem immoral to you?
You could be a good Christian Apologist

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
...Morals have no other possible foundation than God. Without him you have opinion based ethics...
So if I were the ruler of an ancient tribal community, and I wanted my people to treat each other nice but to hate are neighboring tribe, what should I say? Both us and them have a concept of a divine Creator that is similar, but ours is a little different. We used to believe in many gods, but now we believe in only one God that is all-powerful and wants us to sacrifice to him and love and fear him. We all believe this God is real. Should I tell my people that their gods aren't real and that our God really doesn't love them, that he likes us better, so it's okay to kill them but not okay to kill each other?

Oh, and some of our people questioned the reality of our God, so I commanded that they be killed, which is okay, because our God stipulated that anyone that does not believe in him should be stoned to death. He also laid out a bunch of laws for us to follow, or get stoned to death. One time our God even told us to invade a city and kill all the men, women and children, which is okay because he said it was okay, because they were evil.

We do fear him because our ancestors told us that our God destroyed whole cities of evil, vile, unbelieving people with fire from the sky. That he flooded the whole world because all the people were all evil. Which is okay, because they deserved it.

Now the problem is, those other people still exist and thrive. They kill and hate us and we, justifiably because our God said it was okay, hate and kill them. But they have their own moral code that their gods gave them that justifies them doing what they do? Which includes hating and killing us. How can that be? Their gods aren't real. They have no foundation for their moral code. Only we do, because our God is the only true God.

Our God might seem unreal and not there and evil sometimes, but that's because our God created an beautiful angel that got proud, turned evil and wants to trick us into not believing. Fortunately, we have good people who study the "facts" of our Holy Books and figure out ways to convince us that all is good. That our God is in control and has a divine, perfect plan. If we doubt him, we are just not seeing things correctly. Because our God loves us and is the way the truth and the life. Why? Because he said so. Therefore, his objective moral code is what we must all live by. Which is what? And how different is it than any other people's moral code? You know, those people that don't believe in our God, but in some false god.