• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Suppose Athiests Are So Interested In Religion

Yerda

Veteran Member
I have no belief, yet I am fascinated by religion. For myself this is a bizarre contradiction, I'm not technically athiest - I coudn't actually care less if God exists, yet I like to discuss the implications of religion. I don't care if other people believe in god (insofar as I do not feel compulsed to judge) but I like to hear what they have to say. I think I might just like to argue.

Any non-theistic people have similar disposition? Or are the wheels in my head in need of oiling again?

Is this the counter of the religious tendency of some to ask me similarly reversed questions?

robtex

Veteran Member
I am not an atheist but I have a guess if you would permit me. I see religion as a form of philosphy and see the answer(s) as the same for why an interest in philosphy.

Ceridwen018

I kind of agree with robtex. It's not so much that I'm interested in religion...I'm more interested in philosophy in general and how people think. Stuff like that.

Runt

Not all religions are focused on God. Some, like Unitarian Universalism, are focused on the individidual and their spiritual journey. Others may include concepts of God, but are more focused on moral beliefs than theological ones. Religions are also powerhouses for philosophy in ways vastly unlike other organizations, which makes them of a particular interest to atheists like me who enjoy looking at religion from an academic as well as a personal angle.

lousyskater

i've always been interested about in how other people explain their existance and i've always felt that religion is a doorway into other people's minds.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Why do people always equate A-theist with A-religionist? One can belong to a number of religions (thus not being A-religionist) while still not believing in a supreme being (thus being A-theist). These two things are NOT equal.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Engyo said:
Why do people always equate A-theist with A-religionist? One can belong to a number of religions (thus not being A-religionist) while still not believing in a supreme being (thus being A-theist). These two things are NOT equal.
First, a clarification. Neither atheism nor "A-theism" are limited to "not believing in a supreme being". Most of the deities that people have worshipped have not been "supreme", including the various deities populating the various forms of Buddhism.

I do, however, agree that theism is not the same a religion. As offered previously:
Yi-Fu Tuan, in an article titled "Humanistic Geography" appearing in the Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 66, No. 2: 266-276, defines religion as
the impulse for cohesion and meaning.
There is no requirement that meaning come from superstition rather than science and, therefore, no barrier to a religious humanism predicated upon methodological naturalism.

huajiro

Anyone intelligent enough to doubt "God" and not just follow, is intelligent enough to question just about anything, sparking curiosity in everything they do.

I was fascinated by religion well before I ever called myself an atheist. Perhaps, then, it's not so much that atheists are interested in religion as that many of those who are interested in religion turn to atheism.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Maybe, just maybe,
it is in an attempt to understand those of us who do believe in G-d or a Divine force. I think simply because you are an athiest doesn't mean you don't find religion fascinating, in fact i think being on "that side of the line" as it were may make religion more fascinating than us theists:jiggy:

bodeanengrl

Hi, I am new here so If I blunder, just laugh OK?

I believe that athiests are looking for somethng, and maybe don't even know exactly what they are looking for? Religion is not necessarily Christian. Religion is anything done, thought or believed on a regular basis, such as brushing teeth. I know some that like to see if we , who believe in God, are capable of explaining why we believe this way?:eek:

Ceridwen018

Hey bodeanengrl! Welcome to the forums!

I agree--we are looking for something. I would even venture as far as to say that I know what it is. Why, it's the Truth, of course!

Fat Old Sun

I will only speak for myself on this matter. I have discussed this with others, but this comes exclusively from my experience.

I became fascinated with religion at an early age, largely because so much of it did not fit. I was also very observant and very stubborn at an early age. I was the only child that got to hear the regular sermon on a regular basis because being kicked out of sunday school class for asking questions was a regular event. It is pretty sad when the only way an adult can win a debate with a 5 year old is to throw him out of the room.

I think that people who are naturally inquisitive are more likely to explore other philosophies. I don't think it is just a fascination with religion, but a fascination with knowledge in general. Those with no inclination to explore and challenge anything seem destined to remain with the herd.

Aquiring the knowledge to arrive at my belief system was only half of the battle. The continuing interest in disecting other religions is also motivated by self defense. I cannot think of a single instance when I have revealed my beliefs that someone has not demanded that I explain myself. Most of them regurgitate the same things that they have been programmed to respond with. This does make it easier after a while. With a little practice, you actually know what some of them will say before they do.

For the most part, people try to act in a respectful manner when you follow a different religion. When you say that you follow no religion, they seem to feel justified in treating you by a whole new set of standards. I don't have to justify myself to every bible thumper who demands to know why I feel that I can think for myself, but I will gladly do it if they're up for it. I know it makes many of them uncomfortable, but I can live with that. They do their best to make me uncomfortable. It may have been a bit more intense because of my location, but I do find it everywhere, just in varying degrees.

robtex

Veteran Member
religion is philosphy with expectations of divine intervention. Take the God(s) out and for most if not all of them, the philosophy still stands.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The question: "Why Do You Suppose Athiests Are So Interested In Religion?" is an example of selection bias. It presumes that the atheists encountered on a board such as this are representative. Most atheists that I know are, for the most part, underwhelmed by and unconcerned with theism.

Faust

My interest in religion is largely based on my personal perception that religion is used to justify ones actions, when most frequently, ones actions are based on ones own self interests.
I like being able speak intelligently and from a sturdy base of "knowledge of the subject" when someone pulls that sort of thing.
Faust.

almifkhar

i agree that religion is a philosophy and yet i do believe in a supreme being. what i think is sad is those who completely rule out that the great spirit does not exist because it cannot be proven either way. i believe because strange things have happened in my life which more or less forced me to acknowelege that there are powers at work. i see nothing wrong with being agnosgic nor do i see anything wrong with not accepting organized religion in ones life. after all it goes much deeper than religion.

linwood

Many atheists came to the viewpoint after attempting to find that "Truth" in religion.
For most it was a long road to their atheism and along that road they had to immerse themselves in theology in order to understand what it was they were looking for.
It became a hobby per say.

Myself, I have always been an atheist and until the past few years couldn`t have cared a wit about religion one way or the other.

Then things around me started to change, Christians started promoting their beliefs as truths in a manner that would have affect on my life.

Faith based Gov. funding.
School vouchers.
Religious based school curriculum.
My neighbors here on Jesus street.
My kids asking questions.
Homosexual marriage.
9/11
Upsurge in evangelism in my locale.

These things made me wonder what all this religious activty was about so I pursued the subject.

Faust

almifkhar said:
i agree that religion is a philosophy and yet i do believe in a supreme being.
What I have found is that theology and philosophy are largely involved in finding a reason for God to exist to the detriment of each other, and to the profit of politicians.
Respectively, Faust.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
The question: "Why Do You Suppose Athiests Are So Interested In Religion?" is an example of selection bias. It presumes that the atheists encountered on a board such as this are representative. Most atheists that I know are, for the most part, underwhelmed by and unconcerned with theism.
And yet you are a member of religiousforums.com. Interesting.
I am a new member here, and have been fascinated by all of the different thoughts. The reason I was so excited to see all of these different thoughts, was because I believe, as human beings, we have been designed to be interested and inquisitive naturally. We have the ability to analyze data and make our own decisions about what it all means. I think the reason many atheist's show interest in religion is much the same as why many theist's are interested in religion. Because none of us FULLY understand it, but we want to try. We are all searching for definition of our lives and of truth. Personally I believe that I have found it is Christianity. I want to understand how an atheist can have that same feeling of fullfilment without having any solid answers and evidence (my opinion) to turn to. That is what intrigues me the most. As it is, I only see atheism as being a continual searchfor truth, but without ever really finding it. IT seems kind of depressing to me. BTW, to the atheist's out there, I do not mean to offend any one you. If I do, I apologize in advance.