• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe what you do?

xxclaro

Always been curious as to why people believe what they believe,so I thought I'd ask it here? Be honest, why do your really believe whatever you believe? I know that for me, even at 32, a lot of it has to do with what I was taught as a child. My family was very religious and attended church 2-3 times a week, so I was pretty heavily indoctrinated. I have left much of it behind, but if I really consider why I believe what I do I must admit it still is an influence. It's just easier to fall into old and familiar belief system than to search out truth.
I think that the majority of people still believe,at least in part, whatever they were taught to believe as a child. The people on this site seem to be different in that they seem to have truly searched and tried to find truth, but if you look around you I think you'll find most people stay the course.
I try to question everything I believe and take for granted as truth to see if it really holds up. I used to believe the bible was the infallible word of God and would never consider questioning anything in it. However, I started asking myself why I believed that. Did God or Jesus say it was his word? No. Did Jesus write it or any part of it during his 30+ years on earth?No. Is there anything to suggest that it should be taken as Gods literal word? Not really, but for many years I took it as Gods word anyway. I still believe the Bible contains many powerful truths, but no lionger feel the need for it to be Gods word.
That made me backtrack to the beginning,to see if I actually believe there is a God. It took a while, but in the end I found that I could not believe that everything that is,was and will be happened by coincidence or accident. I looked at both sides as fairly as I could,and I believe there is indeed a God. I don't pretend to know exactly what the naure of God is, or how he operates, but I do believe in a intelligent creative force. I'm sure that no matter how fair and objective I try to be, those old beliefs will creep in to some degree and influence me, but I try to keep it as fair as possible.
I'm curious as to how other s came to believe what they did. I see many here who have beliefs that I'm not really familiar with and would love to know how they came by those beliefs and what gives them faith in what they believe.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I once read of a psychological study that concluded most people arrive at their basic beliefs and values by the time they are 18 and never stray far from them afterwards.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
xxclaro said:
I think that the majority of people still believe,at least in part, whatever they were taught to believe as a child.

Despite labeling myself as Agnostic, there is no question that my upbringing still influences my thinking, and I very much want to believe in God and Heaven and meaning to this life on Earth.

And while coming about and admitting I don't know the truth was a relief ~ honesty is important to me ~ I do sometimes wonder why I can't just believe like others. Sometimes it frustrates me.

Noaidi

slow walker
I feel the power of Nature every day. I live at the foot of a mountain, overlooking the sea and I regularly see deer, otters, whales and golden eagles. This gives me a grounding in terms of what is real and important. I don't believe in any 'higher being', because there is nothing higher in what I have around me. Call it 'god', 'allah' or whatever you want but, to me me, it's just Nature. Why do I 'believe' in this? Because it's real. It's there.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Always been curious as to why people believe what they believe,so I thought I'd ask it here? Be honest, why do your really believe whatever you believe? I know that for me, even at 32, a lot of it has to do with what I was taught as a child. My family was very religious and attended church 2-3 times a week, so I was pretty heavily indoctrinated. I have left much of it behind, but if I really consider why I believe what I do I must admit it still is an influence. It's just easier to fall into old and familiar belief system than to search out truth.
I think that the majority of people still believe,at least in part, whatever they were taught to believe as a child. The people on this site seem to be different in that they seem to have truly searched and tried to find truth, but if you look around you I think you'll find most people stay the course.
I try to question everything I believe and take for granted as truth to see if it really holds up. I used to believe the bible was the infallible word of God and would never consider questioning anything in it. However, I started asking myself why I believed that. Did God or Jesus say it was his word? No. Did Jesus write it or any part of it during his 30+ years on earth?No. Is there anything to suggest that it should be taken as Gods literal word? Not really, but for many years I took it as Gods word anyway. I still believe the Bible contains many powerful truths, but no lionger feel the need for it to be Gods word.
That made me backtrack to the beginning,to see if I actually believe there is a God. It took a while, but in the end I found that I could not believe that everything that is,was and will be happened by coincidence or accident. I looked at both sides as fairly as I could,and I believe there is indeed a God. I don't pretend to know exactly what the naure of God is, or how he operates, but I do believe in a intelligent creative force. I'm sure that no matter how fair and objective I try to be, those old beliefs will creep in to some degree and influence me, but I try to keep it as fair as possible.
I'm curious as to how other s came to believe what they did. I see many here who have beliefs that I'm not really familiar with and would love to know how they came by those beliefs and what gives them faith in what they believe.

"Did God or Jesus say it was his Word" ? YES.
See: John 17v17. Jesus believed Scripture was religious truth.
2nd Timothy 3 vs16,17 says all Scripture is God inspired and beneficial......

Jesus took Scripture as God's literal Word.
By age 12 Jesus had a well-rounded Scriptural education to the point he could converse with the elders of his day.
Jesus often quoted or referred to Scripture by first saying , "it is written" before he would reply. Where was it written but in the Hebrew OT Scriptures.
[ Matt 4v4,7,10; 11v10; 21v13; 26v31; Mark 9v13; 14v27; Luke 24v46; John 6v45; 8v17]

According to Isaiah [40v26]; Jeremiah [10v12; 32v17] things did not happen by coincidence or accident but that God supplied the needed dynamic energy in creation.

The people of Acts [17v11] decided to seek out truth by searching or researching Scripture to see if what they were hearing was really so.
Really found in Scripture.

God's 'nature' is distinguished by his main attributes:
God has wisdom
God has power
God has justice
God IS love

Jesus used logic and reasoning on Scripture on which to base his beliefs.
Although the Bible is not written ABC like a dictionary,
because the Bible has corresponding or parallel passages and verses arranged by topic or subject arrangement one can compare what the Bible writers wrote and see the internal harmony and the Bible's theme, which was also the theme of Jesus teaching of 'God's kingdom' or royal government carried throughout from Genesis to Revelation.

why do you really believe whatever you believe?

One reason why I have faith is experience. I've experienced things in my life that I can't easily explain by means of simple natural processes. At the same time, I keep in mind that these things could have simple natural explanations - but I think its far more likely that at least some of these experiences were caused by god(s) or some other kinds of beings or intelligent forces.

Another reason why I have faith in god/gods/powerful beings/Jesus, is because my faith is a source of energy for me, especially by giving me hope in an afterlife, and hope that there is a good god(s) that helps us. For me, I think that the benefits of hope alone are enough to justify having some faith that there is something out there, something good.

Third, when I consider that existence/reality is eternal, and that it is more than likely infinite, then this means that even if there is a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance for a god like being to exist, then sooner or later, because existence is eternal and probably infinite, god(s) would have come into existence. In fact, if reality is indeed infinite, then this means that god(s) must exist in infinite quantity, and are distributed across infinity according to their relative probability of occurence, as long as there is even the slightest of a chance that they could exist. This concept opens all kinds of other doors, many of which are very interesting to walk through, especially from a theological point of view.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Care to elaborate on that? I'd be intersted in hearing some details.
Assuming you are speaking to me... of course...

I believe in God because I have experiential knowledge of Him. I have felt His presence in my prayers and at His worship, I have felt his guiding hand, and it is my belief that I have heard His voice.

I am a Christian because the God I have experiences manifests in Christian ways, answers Christian prayer, is present in Christian worship.

I am Catholic because I felt God pulling me to the Church...

xxclaro

"Did God or Jesus say it was his Word" ? YES.
See: John 17v17. Jesus believed Scripture was religious truth.
2nd Timothy 3 vs16,17 says all Scripture is God inspired and beneficial......

Jesus took Scripture as God's literal Word.
By age 12 Jesus had a well-rounded Scriptural education to the point he could converse with the elders of his day.
Jesus often quoted or referred to Scripture by first saying , "it is written" before he would reply. Where was it written but in the Hebrew OT Scriptures.
[ Matt 4v4,7,10; 11v10; 21v13; 26v31; Mark 9v13; 14v27; Luke 24v46; John 6v45; 8v17]

According to Isaiah [40v26]; Jeremiah [10v12; 32v17] things did not happen by coincidence or accident but that God supplied the needed dynamic energy in creation.

The people of Acts [17v11] decided to seek out truth by searching or researching Scripture to see if what they were hearing was really so.
Really found in Scripture.

God's 'nature' is distinguished by his main attributes:
God has wisdom
God has power
God has justice
God IS love

Jesus used logic and reasoning on Scripture on which to base his beliefs.
Although the Bible is not written ABC like a dictionary,
because the Bible has corresponding or parallel passages and verses arranged by topic or subject arrangement one can compare what the Bible writers wrote and see the internal harmony and the Bible's theme, which was also the theme of Jesus teaching of 'God's kingdom' or royal government carried throughout from Genesis to Revelation.

I understand your view, and at one time I also thought the same thing. However, I always wondered if the Bible as we have it now is the same as the scriptures mentioned in the Bible. Obviously the NT had not been written at that time, so could not be included. The OT was fulfilled with the coming of Jesus,as I understand it,so we are no longer under that law. So, I'm not sure which scriptures Jesus was referring to.
As for the qoute in Timothy, I have the same issue with it, being that the NT was not compiled yet at that time. Also, I don't believe Paul's writings belong in the Bible,as I don't see that sufficient evidence can be gathered to support Paul being allowed the authority he is given. Jesus never said that Paul would come after him and bring this new covenant. I always thought that someone that important would surely merit at least a few mentions by Jesus, so that we would know to trust him.
I can definitely understand why people believe the Bible, but there's just a few of these issue's that put too much doubt in my mind to say that I totally believe.

xxclaro

Assuming you are speaking to me... of course...

I believe in God because I have experiential knowledge of Him. I have felt His presence in my prayers and at His worship, I have felt his guiding hand, and it is my belief that I have heard His voice.

I am a Christian because the God I have experiences manifests in Christian ways, answers Christian prayer, is present in Christian worship.

I am Catholic because I felt God pulling me to the Church...

Thanks, I like that. Growing up in the church as I did, we were taught that the Catholic Church was pretty much second to devil worship! I've come to realize this is not the case,as I've actually got to know some Catholic people and realized they were not evil!:no:
I too have experienced things in my life that have shaped my beliefs. I try to be reasonable and objective about my experiences. I've seen things people do while claiming to "experience God",and to me it looks more like they are high or having some sort of epileptic fit. It makes me wonder how many of our experiences are simply in our mind. I still don't think they all are, I believe that some experiences I've had are definitley something more. I guess it's one of those things that no one can really prove one way or another.
I read a couple of books by John Lerma on Pre-Death experiences that really made me think. He's a hospice physician who has seen and documented some pretty incredible things. Things like that help me to believe. Thanks for your post.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I grew up with strong faith in Yeshua or Jesus, whichever you prefer. Then 9/11 happened and it made me curious about Islam. Then I did some research on It and I ended up converting from Christianity to Islam. After four or five years I realised that I don't know if Allah or any other supreme being or entity was real.

At first I started to feel like I was atheist or agnostic and this lasted almost two years or so. Then I discovered pantheism and I understood it. Existence is God(s) and I exist so therefore I am my God, but when it comes to a higher power I'm still agnostic.

Last edited:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks, I like that.
Thank you.

Growing up in the church as I did, we were taught that the Catholic Church was pretty much second to devil worship!
Heh, some of my family when they heard I was Catholic asked "But, I thought he was Christian?"... ;)

I've come to realize this is not the case,as I've actually got to know some Catholic people and realized they were not evil
I am glad to hear that is so.

I've seen things people do while claiming to "experience God",and to me it looks more like they are high or having some sort of epileptic fit. It makes me wonder how many of our experiences are simply in our mind. I still don't think they all are, I believe that some experiences I've had are definitley something more. I guess it's one of those things that no one can really prove one way or another.
I've seen such as well... and my experiences have never brought me to express them in those ways. That is not to say that the experience of God does not bring a sense of euphoria, what one might describe as a high, but it has, and I don't believe God would, reduce my cognitive faculties.

That said, I disagree on your second point. All of our experiences are in our minds, for that is where we experience things :D What you see, hear, smell, etc. are not reality, they are your mind's interpretation of the data obtained from your sensory organs, and your mind is not a perfect interpreter of data, it is prone to being fooled and/or error.

That is not to say that our experiences do not, in most part assuming mental health, correspond to reality... rather that they exist in our minds.

Thanks for your post.
You are welcome...

Last edited:

xxclaro

It always seemed strange to me that God would do things like that to someone, reducing them to writhing blithering idiots. Just doesn't seem like the way God would work,which made me wonder what is really going on.
I like what you said about experiences taking place in the mind. Going to think on that some more.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've seen things people do while claiming to "experience God",and to me it looks more like they are high or having some sort of epileptic fit.

There are not just two kinds, but countless kinds of experiences that one person or another has ascribed to being an experience of god.

Ecclectic Seeker

I am an Ecclectic Seeker. I believe that each Faith, or at least most faiths have Divine Truth behind them. I seek the Truth in each of them.

I believe what I believe because I have read various ideas and incorporated them into my beliefs, because I agree with the idea, and/or it makes logical sense.

I also believe what I believe because my meditations lead me to my understanding of the Truth.

I believe what I believe because I see the Parallels behind the Faiths, and see the Truth that they share.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

>Why do you believe what you do?

The short answer?

Great good fortune! :) :)

The longer answer:

As the direct result of extensive prayer, reading, research, investigation, and observation!

I've always been a believer (theist), and became Baha'i as the direct result of all the things I just described.

That was almost 39 years ago, since which I have NOT ONCE found any reason to regret this decision!

Best! :)

Bruce

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Existence is God(s) and I exist so therefore I am my God, but when it comes to a higher power I'm still agnostic.

Please consider what Adam did. By Adam disobeying God then Adam was setting up people rule over God rule as the right way of ruling. So Adam was therefore being "I am my God" [self worship] and where did that lead Adam but to end in eternal death instead of being able to live forever in everlasting life in human perfection of healthy mind and body.

True, existence is God's because God is from everlasting to everlasting according to Psalm 90v2. Our existence then is being dependent on Father [Life Giver] our Heavenly Father, and living by his Golden Rule and his will being done on earth.......

Most people think of God's will for heaven as having: No war, no pollution, no sickness no death in heaven, so for God's will to be done on earth 'as' it is in heaven then, in order to continue to exist, we must do God's will for us.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I grew up with strong faith in Yeshua or Jesus, whichever you prefer. Then 9/11 happened and it made me curious about Islam.

9/11 made a lot of people curious and needed comforting answers to their questions. Ecclesiastes [9 v11 B] informs us that time and chance or unforeseen occurrences befall all of us. Wrong place, wrong time.
Just like the 18 people at the tower of Siloam.- [Luke 13 vs4,5]

Proverbs 29 v2 says when the wicked rule then people mourn.
Ecclesiastes 8 v9 brings out man dominates man to his hurt or injury.

All this shows how true the Bible word's [Jeremiah 10 v23; 17 v9] that man can Not successfully direct his step or heart. Independence from God's way of ruling shows we need God to step in and bring ruin to those causing ruin.
-Revelation 11 v18 B; Proverbs 2 vs21,22; 10 v30.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
, I'm not sure which scriptures Jesus was referring to.
As for the qoute in Timothy, I have the same issue with it, being that the NT was not compiled yet at that time. Also, I don't believe Paul's writings belong in the Bible,as I don't see that sufficient evidence can be gathered to support Paul being allowed the authority he is given. Jesus never said that Paul would come after him and bring this new covenant. I always thought that someone that important would surely merit at least a few mentions by Jesus, so that we would know to trust him.

Jesus was referring:

Matt 4v4 to Deut 8v3
Matt 4v7 to Deut 6v16
Matt 4v10 to Deut 9v5; 6v13; 10v20; Joshua 24v14
Matt 11v10 to Isaiah 40v3; Malachi 3v1
Matt 21v13 to 2 Chron 6v33; Isa 56v7; Jer. 7v11
Matt 26v31 to Zech 13v7
Mark 14v27 to Isa 53v5; Daniel 9v26; Zech 13v7
Luke 24v46 to Isa 53v3; Hosea 6v2
John 6v45 to Isa 54v13; Jer 31v34; Micah 4v2
John 8v17 to Deut 17v6; 19v15

I am not sure what authority Paul was given that you mention?_____
Isn't Paul apostle to the nations?
Doesn't Luke mention Jesus talking to Paul?

What use or abuse of authority did Paul use at: Acts 14v26 to 15v2?
Consider how Paul handled a problem that arose in Antioch when the Christian congregation was split over the issue of circumcision. Paul, as apostle to the nations, would take the lead in preaching to the nations or uncircumcised Gentiles. [Gal 2vs8,9] Didn't it take humility and modesty for Paul to go along with the arrangements to approach the apostles in Jerusalem to discuss that circumcision matter? Acts 15vs 22 to 31 - Paul co-operates fully as the apostles [not Paul] reached a decision, and 'they' assigned Paul and Barnabas to be 'their', not Paul's, messengers. Wasn't it Paul who was taking the lead in showing honor to his fellow servants?