• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Westerns force christmass on others

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Eid Mubarak or Blessed Eid (Arabic: عيد مبارك‎‎, Bengali: ঈদ মোবারক, Pashto: اختر مبارک‎, Persian/Urdu: عید مُبارک, Sindhi: عيد مبارڪ‎,Malayalam: ഈദ്‌ മുബാറക്‌, Somali: Ciid wanaagsan, Turkish: İyi bayramlar,Tamil: ஈத் முபாரக், Malay: Selamat Hari Raya) is a traditional Muslim greeting reserved for use on the festivals of Eid ul-Adha and Eid ul-Fitr. Eid means "celebration" and refers to the occasion itself, and Mubarak means "blessed"; for example, performing the Eid prayer. The celebration continues until the end of the day for Eid al-Fitr and continues a further three days for Eid al-Adha. However, in the social sense people usually celebrate Eid al-Fitr after Ramadan and Eid-al-Adha in the month of Dhul Haj (12th and Final Islamic month), greetings like "Eid Mubarak". Some state this exchange of greetings is a cultural tradition and not part of any religious obligation. However, it is only used during the celebration of the two Muslim holidays.

From Wiki.

Kirran

Premium Member
People thinks different about christmass/eid. Its associated with religion.

But why should someone say to me happy christmass? I dont believe Jesus is divine or that he is part of trinity? Or that he died for our sins?

Also why should someone say to u happy eid? U dont believe in Allah and so on.....

Cos it's just an established cultural thing. Most people realise this is just a common celebration in the West, there's no need to certain people to be excluded. If they are, they are excluding themselves.

Imagine i say to hindu: happy eid adha.

I'm Hindu, I'd appreciate it. Would be a nice gesture.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
For example they know u are muslim or buddhist or whatever and still they tell u: merry christmass.
Well i dont want to be the badguy so i just say: happy days to u.
I avoid mentioning christmass.

Imagine i say to non-muslim: happy eid day(eid mubarak).

He must be like: what the hell man, iam not muslim.

Because we want everyone to know the peace and joy of the season, or we might to have to kick your donkey...just sayin'.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Cos it's just an established cultural thing. Most people realise this is just a common celebration in the West, there's no need to certain people to be excluded. If they are, they are excluding themselves.
This ^^^^.
If you want to exclude yourself from some kind of public festive celebrations over religious beliefs you're doing it wrong. If I were in India I would love it because Hindu culture has lots of fun public festivities.
Tom

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I won't lie, the whole Merry Christmas thing in every store is kind of annoying, but I get that it's cultural so I don't let it bother me too much. The annoying part is the assumption of Christianity, and I much prefer Happy Holidays, but I understand that in some places Christmas is such a big part of local winter culture that it's just the phrase that slips out.
I've only been annoyed by a Merry Christmas in one instance, and that is when I have a friend who knows I celebrate Yule/Solstice but doesn't wish me a happy Yule/Solstice while still saying Merry Christmas. I have friends that say both, friends that say none, and friends that just omit Christmas all together, but when someone knows which holiday you celebrate and purposely ignores it, that's a bit irritating.
Anyway, I started replying to people in stores with a Happy Solstice. It throws them off guard a little but it sure does feel good!

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
For example they know u are muslim or buddhist or whatever and still they tell u: merry christmass.

depends.
If I am in a primarily Muslim country, I would not be surprised by the greatings, goodbyes, etc. of the locals.

So it depends upon ones location.
Would you go into a Southern Baptist Church during Sunday morning worship and complain about the mention of Jesus?

I would not go into a Mosque and complain about the mention of Allah.

I tell people Merry Christmas.
If it offends them, so be it.
However, I do not go into Mosques telling people Merry Christmas.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
People thinks different about christmass/eid. Its associated with religion.

But why should someone say to me happy christmass? I dont believe Jesus is divine or that he is part of trinity? Or that he died for our sins?

Also why should someone say to u happy eid? U dont believe in Allah and so on.....
um...
Because it is not about you?
It is about the intentions of the speaker.
Are they telling you Merry Christmas to get your goat?
If so, why let them?
If not, what is the problem?

Servant_of_the_One1

The whole "merry christmassing me stuff" feels like they think i celebrate christmass when they know iam muslim.

Anyways i will watch movie.

Thanks for the replies guys. Loves ro read the different views.

I just say Eid Mubarak too. It's common courtesy. Usually people invite me to their house to eat with their family too even though they know I'm not Muslim, they like to share their happiness.

I don't feel threatened by other people celebrating and being happy. I'm happy for them.

It's pretty easy not to find fault in someone's positive intentions, you should try not being miserable and bigoted some day, it's quite pleasant.

Merry Christmas :christmastree::santa::babyangel:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm not Christian, but I still "celebrate" it with family gathering, gifting, and feasting.
Also, if someone wished a happy Eid, I wouldn't be offended by something innocent and well meaning. In fact let's create a completely secular Eid tradition of eating kebabs. We'll also have Eid dwarves since Christmas has Santa and elves.

Milton Platt

Saying Merry Christmas is not "forcing their religion" on anyone. I am atheist, for example. I do not feel the least bit slighted if somebody says that to me. In fact, I appreciate the gesture. You need to get over yourself, dude!!! Also, if you told me "Happy eid day", I would not be slighted. Not being very familiar with your particular brand of belief, I might even inquire about it, which could lead to an interesting conversation.

While we are at it, how do you suppose others know what your religion is? Do you have it tattooed on your forehead or something?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I kinda get what you mean, but then again, I used to say happy eid to the Muslims I worked with, and I'm an atheist. If they are sincerely giving you good wishes, I'd just take them with the intent with which they're meant, and not worry.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Is it a very big deal if western folks in western lands wish people around them to have a merry Christmas? Is it a very big deal if they were to wish you a Merry Christmas?

If this is a big problem for you, then you've got no seriously real worries at all.

May I take this opportunity to wish readers a Merry Christmas, but not you...... OK? :)

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
To all members who are not insulted by "MERRY CHRISTMAS".
If that was insulting I apologize.
Have a fun holiday season. (that was safe yes?)
I'm not even going to get into Jesus wasn't born in December.
Google it up if ya likes.
Researchers believe the Roman Catholic Church settled on Dec. 25 for many reasons, such as that date's ties to the winter solstice and Saturnalia, a festival dedicated to the Roman deity Saturn. By choosing this day to celebrate Jesus' birthday, the church could co-opt the popular pagan festival, as well as the winter celebrations of other pagan religions.
When Was Jesus Born? | Birth of Jesus Christ

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh lighten up Scrooge, my man.
I'm not a Christian and I say Merry Christmas back to anyone who says it to me. It's just a nice gesture of wishing good upon someone. No need to look for a battle. I still celebrate it. Well I go to family's house and drink their booze but close enough I guess.
If someone wished me or my highly devout Hindu family a Happy Eid they'd wish them a Happy Eid right back. Manners cost nothing after all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

To a great many of us, some Xians included, Xmas is a secular holiday during we wish others well.