• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we Fear death?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
This would only apply to Hindus. It's in our scriptures. A lesser birth is like reincarnating into a cockroach. It's considered unfortunate.
I'm a Shakta. I think you mean Vaishnavas of your sect. I never agreed with the "less/more fortunate" birth concept.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Many people, virtually all to be accurate... Believe that Death is something negative as it takes the people we love away from us.
But death is a natural end to all beginnings. What is created has to come to an end yet it seems we often cannot cope up with this idea.

So, why do most of us fear death?
Is it the fear of the unknown that one believes that he's given one life and he won't be able to enjoy himself ever again on this planet?
Or because of the supposed pain that most revieve while dying in an accident, by a heart attack, etc?
Or because one fears of judgment from their God or know that their bad karma will give them a lower birth like among animals, plants or insects?

The natural fear of the unknown. It's like grief, we are in shock, we get emotional, we accept it, and then we acknowledge it. Basic human instinct of fearing and reacting physiologically to an event, situation, or action that we didn't plan nor can see the outcome of. It also seems like it's more we are so used to planing and having things a particular way (regardless if we are free minded or structured), that to take all that away by something we can't plan is fearful in itself.

Some cultures don't fear death the way others do. It's another step in life. In some forms of Buddhism (if not all), The Buddha said in Mahayana suttras, that even though he is about to pass away, he really hasn't pass (his teachings)...and being comfortable with suffering is being comfortable not just with life (birth and aging) but death too (sickness and death)...hence why it's seen so negative.

To end with Woody Allen,

"It's not that I am afraid of death. I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Many people, virtually all to be accurate... Believe that Death is something negative as it takes the people we love away from us.
But death is a natural end to all beginnings. What is created has to come to an end yet it seems we often cannot cope up with this idea.

Is it the fear of the unknown that one believes that he's given one life and he won't be able to enjoy himself ever again on this planet?
Or because of the supposed pain that most revieve while dying in an accident, by a heart attack, etc?
Or because one fears of judgment from their God or know that their bad karma will give them a lower birth like among animals, plants or insects?
I think it's very natural and normal to fear.

Like crying, there's nothing wrong in doing so, but it can at the same time be unfounded and unnecessary.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Death is not programmed into humans. We have a collective expectation to go on living. Even when overtaken by old age, we still feel young at heart and we do not want to die unless we are suffering.

Animals do not have a concept of death, nor do they anticipate it or contemplate it like we do. We are unique in that we know what death is, how it feels to lose loved ones, and we fear it, even though we know it is inevitable.

From the perspective of a Bible believer, I see that the Creator fashioned humans to resemble himself and to reflect his qualities. He lives forever and he created man to live forever too, but I don't believe that he wanted or needed humans in heaven. He put us here on planet earth as caretakers.

Death came to humans as a result of disobedience and they lost their opportunity to live forever in the earthly paradise God provided for them.
I believe this will ultimately be restored when rebellion has been dealt with to God's satisfaction.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Death is not programmed into humans. We have a collective expectation to go on living. Even when overtaken by old age, we still feel young at heart and we do not want to die unless we are suffering.

Animals do not have a concept of death, nor do they anticipate it or contemplate it like we do. We are unique in that we know what death is, how it feels to lose loved ones, and we fear it, even though we know it is inevitable.

From the perspective of a Bible believer, I see that the Creator fashioned humans to resemble himself and to reflect his qualities. He lives forever and he created man to live forever too, but I don't believe that he wanted or needed humans in heaven. He put us here on planet earth as caretakers.

Death came to humans as a result of disobedience and they lost their opportunity to live forever in the earthly paradise God provided for them.
I believe this will ultimately be restored when rebellion has been dealt with to God's satisfaction.

We see death around us, from relatives to grand parents to parents sometimes even to friends and celebs.
But the wish of not dying as we already have seen only evades the most obvious destiny of living beings.
And animals are more vividly knowledgeable about DEATh than we do, but maybe they can't process it together.

For me, death and rebirth are the natural cycles for all life, planets, universe and the life giving energy.
Perhaps in time we'll be more accepting of the obvious

Aiviu

Its what they are able to imagine about being dead. People seem to get used to it that they dont fear because they know with any version they come up with wont just be a throw back to life.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I'd say death is universal. Unlike our beliefs which give us perspective and reason for living, dying is natural. While I believe that our spirits/souls live, what I know is limited to lack of experience. Empathy and faith is different than direct experience and factual knowledge.

As such, death is "programmed" in humans. It's the natural ending of the physical body. We are born, we age, we grow sick, and we pass on. It's another stage of life. I find we need to be comfortable that we will not live forever. The time to be with god is now at this moment and time.

Death has nothing to do with disobedience, in my opinion. It's actually not connected. I will die no matter how righteous I am in this life. It's the ceasing of body functions that have no connection to how we think but how we take care of ourselves, body, mind, and spirit.

The spirit or soul that lives on after death are just like our minds and spirits that live on this earth. There is the next (not upper) stage in life, and by however means we live in that next stage, just as this one, determines how we progress on. Life runs in a cycle rather than linear. It's not about reaching the top but listening to our bodies in mindfulness and self-care until our bodies and spirits naturally die and we no longer exist.

We have our beliefs; however, they do not replace that the fact is we do not know what happens after death. We also, do know, that body functions cease as well as our awareness. If we are not comfortable with death, then we will always have a needing to believe in the afterlife--time with god, and so forth.

We just need to be comfortable with that may not be true. We do not know. I mean, to say we do know, NDE to whatever, just shocks me. Ive had outerbody experiences before; and, they were no different than my being on earth. If anything, they confirmed that we still live as souls on earth after our passing because I have witnessed a soul and so has my family.

Anyway, do you kind of understand how we can believe in something so firmly but still affirm we do not know what we believe is true regardless if we think it comes from god or Joe Smoe?

:herb:

I thought this interesting to point out because theoretically and philisophically we can think about life after death. As per this forum. Religiously, we can believe; but, that's different than accepting we don't know and pondering the possibilities what could be rather than what is.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

We're programmed by the maker to love life in order to stay and multiply, the same way that we love sex.

Last edited:

Subhankar Zac

We're programmed by the maker to love life in order to stay and multiply, the same we that we love sex.

Why would the maker program living beings in ways when they have to go into an opposite way?
Also why do God's people remain celibate, are gay, incapable of reproducing naturally or have other issues?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Why would the maker program living beings in ways when they have to go into an opposite way?

Which opposite way, i didn't get your point?

Also why do God's people remain celibate, are gay, incapable of reproducing naturally or have other issues?

Religious people that stay celibate aren't right in their choices,IOW they're misguided, gays do exist and they don't have
an effect on reproduction as they're few among the population.

roger1440

I do stuff

It's not death people fear, it's the end.

Subhankar Zac

Which opposite way, i didn't get your point?

Religious people that stay celibate aren't right in their choices,IOW they're misguided, gays do exist and they don't have
an effect on reproduction as they're few among the population.

I meant that if God wants people to focus on life and procreation and we are programmed that way, why then out of nowhere give death?
Birth and death are two facts of life.
You said people are supposed to be focused on reproduction as they are programmed, but msny people naturally can't procreate.

Raahim

مكتوب
There are many who fear death mostly in my opinion because they lack in faith & ask "What if I'm wrong?", I'm personally not afraid of death but I am afraid of losing the ones I love because they are my big support in life.

Subhankar Zac

There are many who fear death mostly in my opinion because they lack in faith & ask "What if I'm wrong?", I'm personally not afraid of death but I am afraid of losing the ones I love because they are my big support in life.

Faith in what exactly?
Wrong in which context?

Subhankar Zac

Faith in their god and wrong in context of their religion & god. :D

I doubt anyone genuinely thinks that. Krishna is eternal, the bhagavad gita his final revelation and this belief is more than enough. :)
No one is scared in the context of their religion. In a million years, I can never imagine any other deity being the actual true God other than Krishna.