• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some people seem to be unable

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course it's easier to say forgive than do it. Like an incident when I was a kid - minding my own business with a mate in the park when set upon by a little tike and his little mob. He took his belt off to have a go at me, but I soon stopped that and we then fell to wrestling on the ground. He then resorted to biting, and eventually his mates all joined in and proceeded to use my head as a football. It was only my crying out that I couldn't see - my vision going rather blurry understandably - that they stopped this and left. Fortunately my vision problem was only temporary, but it might not have been.

Was I keen to forgive him and his gang of boneheads? Not likely, but he probably got the belt idea from his dad - being beaten by him. And all too often it comes down to that - a poor early childhood. I still don't understand why so many who kick the heads of others as they lie on the ground don't get harsher sentences since quite a lot of damage can be done - even death.

I remember similar incidents when I was a kid. I had a rock thrown at my head when I was 3. I can still feel the ridge in my forehead. (Yes, I am literally "cracked" in the head, in case anyone was really wondering. I've had some other nasty head injuries, but I'm still chugging along.)

After a time, I started to learn to fight back and got into a few scrapes here and there - at least enough to keep most of my former tormentors off my back. I wasn't keen to forgive anyone either, although they weren't asking for forgiveness anyway. When I was a kid, it was often felt that if one kid hit another kid, and the other kid hit him back, then they were "even" and could then go their separate ways in peace. I don't know if that qualifies as "forgiveness," though.

But kicking someone while they're down goes beyond the standard playground fight. That's a criminal offense.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why is this important to me?
If I have no compassion or empathy (or not aware of my conscience), I would probably not see it as important.

But I do have compassion and empathy, so for me this process of "say sorry and asking to forgive me" is important.
Why would forgiveness necessarily be compassionate?

If a person who victimized people is forgiven, they could use the forgiveness to victimize more people. This certainly isn't compassionate to those future victims.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Why would forgiveness necessarily be compassionate?

If a person who victimized people is forgiven, they could use the forgiveness to victimize more people. This certainly isn't compassionate to those future victims.
I think you misunderstood me. Probably I was not clear enough. I try to keep it short this time.

In this post I was only talking about myself. If I make a mistake, which hurts the other, then, if the other tells me "you hurted me", then I will say sorry. If I hurted him a lot, then I might ask him "please can you forgive me?". And I added in the previous post "my question is not about me being forgiven, but it is about me showing remorse and giving respect". I was talking about someone I had a relationship with, so the question "can you forgive me?" gives him the opportunity to say "No" and stop our relationship", or to say "yes", so we can continue the relationship AND I know to never make this mistake again.

Hopes this is more clear.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Why does it seem to be so that some people have difficulty forgive others for their mistakes or wrongdoing?
Sometimes it even looks like people get upset if someone forgives others. Why is this?
For Christians, it’s imperative to be forgiving....
Matthew 6:14-15, Colossians 3:12-14.