• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why do people who dont believe in god go onto forums like this.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
My Gosh,

It was so much easier to meet satan.

During the waiting line there, he even had dreary music no one has ever heard of playing.
Really? I would have expected acid rock. :guitar1:

In the waiting room for God, there are 99 different channels of muzak. You can take your pick. We aim to please. :angel2:

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
We came to check out this God fellow but so far he's a bit mysterious and all his followers do is argue amongst themselves :p

I think the answer to the thread is found in responses like this one.

By the way,just for clarity sake, he's only a mystery to those who are'nt really looking for him but rather ,sarcastic,demeaning, condescending towards the things of God
And the term "themselves "well , it's a very broad and loose term in today's society, meaning not everyone who says there religious are God fearing(reverence) followers of Christ.
So the argument you may be referring to is probably amongst those of doctrinal opposing relgions

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I think the answer to the thread is found in responses like this one.

By the way,just for clarity sake, he's only a mystery to those who are'nt really looking for him but rather ,sarcastic,demeaning, condescending towards the things of God
And the term "themselves "well , it's a very broad and loose term in today's society, meaning not everyone who says there religious are God fearing(reverence) followers of Christ.
So the argument you may be referring to is probably amongst those of doctrinal opposing relgions

I was being sarcastic. But look at how many different sects of religion there are calling god a different name.
Im not looking because i do not want to become a mindless sheep who spends half his life on his knees. Restriction does not lead a better life for some people and i am one of those people. I want to do what i want without adding God to every equation.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
The fact that you've closed your mind to the possibility of His existence tells me you've already become one. :sheep:
Its possible he can exist, but i will not join one of his divine congregations.

I am not a sheep, i live my life for myself, not for a God.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Um... NOT true.

There are plenty of devout, God-loving theists who have enough humility to know that God is a mystery. Rudolph Otto, one of the most famous and respected theologians of the last century described God as the numinous and as "Mysterium Tremendum." ie - tremendous mystery.

I love God with all my heart, mind, and soul, but I also know that I do not know all of God. Anyone who thinks they know the infinite, the transcendent, the highest... is kidding themselves.

That said, I have enough confidence in my faith in God to be able to joke about it. As G.K. Chesterton said, "It is the test of a good religion whether you can joke about it."

Aishikyo

Endless
I'm pretty sure most of the people who come to these forums are here to discuss, debate, and learn about religion, seeing as how it's a religious forum and all. I don't see why atheists and agnostics can not participate in this.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
I'm getting rather tired of hearing about all this "closed minded" nonsense, something is either their or it isn't, and if there is a God(s), and they wanted to make themself known, I doubt it would be through vague feeling or imagery and easily identifiable as being the "Creator", I'm sure an all powerful deity could conjure something tangible enough to be instantly recognized by anyone as being the presence of them.

rojse

RF Addict
I'm getting rather tired of hearing about all this "closed minded" nonsense, something is either their or it isn't, and if there is a God(s), and they wanted to make themself known, I doubt it would be through vague feeling or imagery and easily identifiable as being the "Creator", I'm sure an all powerful deity could conjure something tangible enough to be instantly recognized by anyone as being the presence of them.

But perhaps God does not want to make himself known?

anders

Do you have to be a medieval European to talk about medieval Europe? ;)

Personally, I like having my beliefs challegned. Sitting around just agreeing with other people would be mind-numbingly boring to me.
True for me. In Religious studies, I have to defend my views. Many other students, most of them half my age (65) or younger, aim at a Church career. I love the interaction, which I hope benefit the understanding of all of us.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
why do people who dont believe in god go onto forums like this?

Maybe because religion isn't just about God.

Maybe because religion is an interesting subject.

Maybe because religion affects most people whether or not they believe in one.

Take your pick, but they are all reasons people who don't believe in God come here, and they are all perfectly valid reasons. Incidentally, I am here for all three reasons.

Naturalist_Atheist

Uh.... Pootie Tang.
its not like you guys can actually find out more about your "belief" and i dont think that atheism and agnosticism is even catagorised as a religion.

Why do you religious people create sub-sections in your forums for secularists and people like me? I think a small part of you wants us here.

And no... Atheism is not catagorized as a religion, nor is it a belief. It's a lack of belief. But I come to these places to find out more about other people's beliefs than I do to understand my own.

+Xausted

The OP reflects the ignorance I face on almost a daily basis. Its almost funny now. The converstaion goes like this:
Person; So what do you do?
Me: I am at uni doing a degree
Person;In what?
Me: theology
Person: either says " ooooh. So what exactly is that then?
or " so do you wanna become a priest or something then?"
me ; No, I am an atheist
Person: so why are you doing a theology degree?
Me: Because a/ I wanted to do a degree that would lead to a definite job(shortage of school R>E teachers around here) and b/ if I am not going to believe i could at least be educated in why I dont believe.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
its not like you guys can actually find out more about your "belief" and i dont think that atheism and agnosticism is even catagorised as a religion.

Because they are people too!! ^_^

AND! This forum would be INCREDIBLY boring without the athiest viewpoint and the agnostic... err... non-viewpoint? :p (just kidding ^_^)

Besides, there is much to be learnt from people you do not agree with.

Lilbeth

free thinker
I guess I am here to discuss something other than dolls, which I do on another forum.....I am tired of saying oh, how pretty all of the time...I want to have intellectual discussions with people in my free time on the computer, and did not know what else to join......I am staying away from the political forums....too viscious....and I am an artist, but I don't want to share all of my paintings on those forums. My ideas always get copied.....so what else is there to discuss with thinking people, really? I agree with the statement that someone said earlier on this thread,....I seem to be staying here, as a non religious person, because you all seem quite nice.....I like that.