• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people hate Muslims?

HonestJoe

I find that hard to believe. Not that many don't assimilate but that it doesn't cause issues.
No great issues. Even nominally homogeneous communities have problems and disputes. The point is that all the unassimilated Westerners living in Middle Eastern countries aren’t somehow destroying all of their local traditions and culture.

The issues in Pakistan seem to be diplomatic disputes between the US and Pakistani governments rather than social conflicts between US civilians living there and the local population. They exist of course, but nothing like to the extent that they're being predicted in the reverse.

Not saying any of this should be forced. Just saying if a country was willing to take me in my loyalty would be to that country. I wouldn't expect that country to have to make accommodations for me.
I’d expect a country to make reasonable accommodations for all of its residents. There are obviously practical limitations to how far that kind of thing should go but we all have a vast range of abilities and limitations so one-size-fits-all policies won't work for everyone. I don’t think whether someone is native born or a (legal) immigrant (even a short term visitor to an extent) should make any difference to that principle.

Grew up with folks from around the world? No not really. Like I said most of the folks I work with aren't from America.
But you grew up in America where Christian traditions are ingrained in to society. There’s nothing wrong with that of course but it will lead to different circumstances for Christians and non-Christians in their daily lives. You’re less likely to notice that difference if you don’t have non-Christian traditions or practices you’d like to follow and/or no interest in following the Christian ones.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I don't have body counts but Muslims are being persecuted by Buddhists in Myanmar and so forth. And it is true that the situation in Islam in the Middle East has a large amount of terrorists killing other Muslims.

But "they're worse than we are" is not how I approach such situations.

Unfortunately it feels like this is how some of Islam's more ardent defenders among Muslims and those on the Left I've encountered online seem to act whenever someone brings up a criticism of Islamic theology or social mores. They almost always deflect by engaging in pointless what-aboutery. Nine times out of ten it involves Christianity or the West. They can never actually address the problem raised; I suspect because they don't want to even admit there's an problem.

Honestly, if you bring up Muhammad having sex with Aisha you get Muslims who actually defend him - defend him - by pointing out it was all the rage back then. Because somehow that makes it moral. If you bring up the issue of Islam allowing child marriages you invariably get Islamic apologists bringing up child abuse in countries where it's actually illegal (as opposed to in Islamic countries where it's protected by law and/or religion and thus is socially acceptable) or they bring up social mores of, say Victorian England which was over a hundred years ago.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
And while true that not all Muslims are terrorists, all Terrorists seem to be Muslim. So since that is the case, and since thousands of Americans have died due to that fact, it is logical that some hatred will follow, It is arguable that said hatred is justified.
Hope this helps.

I suggest you google 'Christian terrorism'. You'll find there's a lot out there - especially in America. So no, not all terrorists are Muslims. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to excuse Islamic terrorism by saying 'they (non-Muslim) do it too!'; I'm merely trying to correct what I see as an erroneous claim.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm willing to gamble you haven't the foggiest clue as to what I believe, so I have a suggestion as to the orifice you can stow your straw man in.

With that said, your logic is broken, and you don't seem to understand metaphor.

Not sure if you actually believe I don't have any clue what you believe despite what I've seen of your posts before.

I'd rather go read Harry Potter or something for metaphor I could actually find valuable, though. Good luck with your own, and feel free to have the last word, since I've already said what I wanted to say. :thumbsup:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Which core tenets would that be?

I am glad that you asked. Allow me to present the most remarkable of them as I remember and understand them right now.

First of all, there is Submission to God (roughly the direct translation of the very word "Islaam"), and by extension to God's Will. This is about as vague a directive as they come, because there is no clear understanding of what "God" would be.

In practice, when this tenet is emphasized as an important, even central goal in sizeable communities, it all too often becomes a clarion call for the denial of individual discernment and the submission to the passions and hopes of the people surrounding us, even and perhaps mostly of all when it causes us sorrow and anxiety - presumably it is a personal sacrifice that we must do for the good of the community even if there is no clear reason why it would be so.

Then there is the Union of Muslims, presumably with an emphasis on emotional and social support. This often-repeated goal is also vague, but it interacts in a rather toxic way with the previous one.

Because "God" is essentially the projection or personification of one's own personal values, the two directives are actually very much at odds with each other; there is just no way of ensuring even a modicum of agreement on conceptions of God among people except when they go out of their way to reach out and understand and accept each other.

In essence, Islaam is at its very best when it is at a small scale that allows people to rise above its own self-imposed conflicts and limitations. People usually know better than Islaam teaches when they are left alone, but end up surrendering considerable amounts of their religious wisdom and discernment when they live in Muslim societies. They have to, if they hope to avoid pointless conflict. That is one reason why Muslims so often crave external conflict; their inner conflict needs expression if it is ever to find resolution.

Which brings us to a third tenet, also comorbid with the both of the previous two: the commitment to having a clear boundary between those of the tribe and those from outside.

This is perhaps the most damning, even decisive, of the traits so far mentioned. Muslims ultimately are not really very different from anyone else (as should be obvious), but the Qur'an just keeps harping on that such is not really the case and that a good Muslim must always be ready to tell who is a Muslim from who is not. There is no room for casual, gradual mutual learning and acceptance, because the labelling is god-mandated and presumed crucial.

In practice, that means that Muslims are pressed into convincing themselves that anyone who claims to be a Muslim but shows serious judgement flaws actually isn't a Muslim. It also leads many Muslims to an utterly unreasonable expectation that everyone else will do the same, and protect the reputation of Islaam at direct challenge of the facts whenever given the opportunity.

TLDR: Islaam is not really a religion at all, but rather a particularly nasty, resilient form of memetical plague that corrodes people's moral discernment and courage by tapping into basic human need for social belonging in order to create loads of unnecessary, unresolvable, tiring inner conflict.

One reason why it Islaam is so difficult to criticize is because when it manifests at its best it is also at its most fragile, and in fact at the very edge of collapse, having been defeated by the courageous recourse to basic human decency and honesty.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@LuisDantas , putting you an my ignore-list is not something I do lightly, but if there is, indeed, a memetical plague corroding moral discernment, it is reflected in the hateful drivel above.
I am sorry that you disagree, but you will have to do better and use actual arguments if you hope to convince me.

For what it is worth, reversing my posture towards Islaam (which I did in the last few years) is not something that I did lightly either.

I respect your right to make your mind as you see fit and I expect the same courtesy in return.

Heck, I don't even mind the insults, unfair and uncalled for as they are (and make no mistake, they are entirely unfair and uncalled for). I know for a fact that these are weighty matters. Raising passions comes with the territory and is actually unavoidable. There is a reason why people hesitate so much in exposing what must be exposed.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
You do realize that "support our secular government" has nothing to do with turning one's back on one's religion, right?

Oh, I don't know about that. Islam supports the governing law of Shari'ah because it is the law of Allah. To support any other governing laws is not acceptable to them because it means turning their back on their god...something they should never do. That's often their argument after bombing a night club or just acting crazily in general. "The West is immoral and an abomination to Allah." I can't really say how many times I've heard it, but it's often.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
Not that 'Christian' America has never been the instrument of torture and oppression.

I think it's the most hateful of all. It's just more covert since The Reformation - which is ironic, because a reformation is exactly what Islam needs but I doubt will ever have. Nonetheless, Christianity has been the worst thing to ever happen to the world imo. Chrisianty is like the mafia. It still rapes and pillages and extorts at every turn. But Islam is its sequel.

Oh the Abrahamic faiths. Or, as I like to call them, The Trilogy of Terror.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not think many people hate Muslims.
They fear what they might do If they give priority to their faith, over living by the secular rules of the society in which they find themselves.

It is the uncertainty of how they will react, if the society rules and those laid down by their faith clash. And the fear that that uncertainty generates.

Christians are only a few generations away from the time when violent acts between the various sects and denominations was commonplace. In northern Ireland such acts are just below the surface even today.
However they rarely surface between Christianity and other religions only between fellow Christians.

Even so, violence between Muslim sects is far more common than between Muslims and Christians.

Terrorism based on religion will probably continue until the various faiths involved come to understand that nothing is ever settled by violence. this is especially true when it comes to differences in religious beliefs.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Why shouyldn't Americans hate Muslims. We don't go flying 747's into their frikkin' mud huts, do we? LOL
No, we just engineer "regime change", bomb the crap out of their societies, demand their wealth, etc. No reason for them to be angry with us at all ....

And while true that not all Muslims are terrorists, all Terrorists seem to be Muslim.
That's because blacks are thugs and whites are mentally ill. Only Middle Eastern people get to be terrorists for doing the exact same things as the other groups.

So since that is the case, and since thousands of Americans have died due to that fact, it is logical that some hatred will follow, It is arguable that said hatred is justified.
Hope this helps.
We lose more than what died on 9/11 every year. If body count was all you had to go on, you'd have to hate disease, governmental regulatory lapses, motor vehicles, etc.

BTW...a liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet.
I'm a liberal and when I was a kid, I was mugged ... by black children who got ticked off I wouldn't give them any more quarters in an arcade, back when that was a thing. I don't blame all black people, kids, males, or any of the subgroups those jerks fit in. That's called maturity.

It was us who provided the technology to those middle eastern savages to extract oil from their ground! LOL We enabled thousands of them to become gazillionaires!
No, dear, they got rich allowing YOU to fill up your car.

Who's got whom by the balls in this situation?

Would I be allowed to attend the Mosque and observe the imam lead Islamic worship with no questions asked?
I would assume any religious institution that engages in interfaith programs would allow this.

Majority of people don't hate muslims even if they disagree with our beliefs.There's a difference between disliking with a set of ideas and hating someone based on their religion.
Indeed. I'm from the South. Never been threatened by a Muslim, just the typical Christian rednecks. :)

I've noticed that those who hate Muslims are mostly people who don't have any muslim friends or acquaintances and accept everything that the media says in regards to Muslims.
Back when I worked in food service at a zoo (I think the Bush Sr war with Iraq was going on or something, can't remember), an Iraqi joined our team. I made it clear I didn't want some crap to start, and he helped me realize a lot of my impressions about life "on the ground", as it were, was different than I was told. I admired that.

If more people would read the Qur'an, they'd not hate Islam, and they'd stop viewing Islam through the lens of ISIS.
Technically, I'm watching a youtube series where a couple of admittedly immature jerks read the Quran (and the bible on another channel), but yeah, I see no reason to hate a group for a scripture that is just as bad as my own. :)

What happened? What happened to this culture of science and investigation. Where did it go wrong and what caused it's downfall?
We stood on the shoulders of geniuses and crapped on their heads. :)

How many Christians today practices their backward bible verses ?
How many people do so but it's not advertised because hardly anyone knows it's in the bible? Sex with kids, killing spouses/kids, hurting/killing minorities ... they got this from the bible, did they not?

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
If I understand you, you're saying that because things tend to go to hell when fundamentalists take over, we should conclude that Islam is bad?

So when something malfunctions, it proves that it is always, essentially, bad? Like if the brakes on my car begin to fire all the time instead of some of the time, it proves that cars should never have brakes?

Is that what you're saying?

Or are you buying into the ISIS propaganda that they are the oldest and purest representation of the faith, as opposed to (as in reality) a 21st century cult?

jah59

I certainly do not hate Muslims. In fact, as a Christian I am called to love them and do love Muslims. However, the teachings that they generally follow (primarily the Quran) are a totally different issue.

While the Quran has some good teachings, such as humility (Sura 25:63), patience (Sura 3:146), and even forgiveness (Sura 24:22), yet the Quran also contains many teachings that lead people who take it literally to commit unspeakably violent acts. The point of this is not to so much show that the Quran has passages that "I" interpret as violent, but to show that there are "hundreds of millions of Muslims" who believe and practice these things and see them as commands for them to commit violent acts as you can see when you follow the links! Below are some of these with the links:

1) Kill any one who insults Islam or Mohammad. (Quran 6:93, 33:57-61).
(In Britain Seventy-eight percent support punishment for the people who earlier this year published cartoons featuring the Prophet Mohammed. Sixty-eight percent support the arrest and prosecution of those British people who "insult Islam.": Many British Muslims Put Islam First)

2) Kill all Muslims who leave Islam. (Quran 2:217 / 4:89 / Bukhari.Volume 9, Book 84, Number 57).
At least three-quarters of Muslims in Egypt and Pakistan say they would favor...the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion. Majorities of Muslims in Jordan and Nigeria also favor these harsh punishments.
(Muslim Publics Divided on Hamas and Hezbollah)

3) Muslims must fight (jihad) against non-Muslims, even if they do not want to. (Quran 2:216; 9:29).
("scholar Sayyed Qutb rejected the argument that jihad is only defensive in nature":
When is it permissible to fight in Islam?)

4) Jews are pigs and apes. (Quran. 2:62-65; 5:59-60; 7:166).
(All Media, Case Study: Portraying Jews as "Monkeys and Pigs" | PMW)

5) We the non-Muslims cannot be friends with Muslims. (Quran.5:51).
(Islamic TV preacher Sheikh Muhammad Hassan says that a Muslim is not permitted even to smile at a non-Muslim. Muslims Befriending Christians and Jews)

6) We the non-Muslims sworn enemies of Muslims and Islam. (Quran.4:101).
(
)

7) We the non-Muslims can be raped as sex slave. (Quran 4:24; 33:50).
(Islamic Professor: Muslims Can Rape Non-Muslim Women to Humiliate Them)

8) We the non-Muslims the vilest of creatures deserving no mercy. (Quran 98:6).
(16% of Muslim Americans believe that Jihad is violent Holy War against unbelievers of Islam:
Poll of U.S. Muslims Reveals Ominous Levels Of Support For Islamic Supremacists’ Doctrine of Shariah, Jihad)

9) Muslim must terrorize us (non-Muslims). (Quran.8:12).
(19% Muslim Americans think violence is justified in order to make Shariah the law of the land in this country:
Poll of U.S. Muslims Reveals Ominous Levels Of Support For Islamic Supremacists’ Doctrine of Shariah, Jihad)

10) Wife beating is OK. (Quran.4:34).
(http://www.ijreview.com/2015/03/283...le-rules-properly-beat-ones-wife-islamic-law/,
)

11) Raping wives is OK. (Quran.2:223).
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_sexual_jurisprudence,
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-ne...amic-council-of-clerics-and-scholars_06042016)

12) Proving rape requires 4 (four) male Muslim witnesses. (Quran.24:1-13).
(http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=156817,
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/quran/img/Rape-IslamWeb.jpg)

With teachings like these, it is any wonder that 450 out of the 452 suicide attacks in 2015 were Muslim terrorists?
http://www.mrctv.org/blog/450-452-suicide-attacks-2015-were-made-muslim-terrorists#.4t88oee:bIKD

Prestor John

Sorry stole this thread since I didn't think it appropriate to respond in the forum it was created.
Why do people hate Muslims

However I also felt I would like to express my feelings.

While I don't hate Muslims, I think people see it as a threat to western culture. I know there are secular Muslims. I've no problem with folks willing to accept secular rule. It works. It's allowed folks from different cultures to live and work together.

That being said, I personally feel I should not have to respect, observe or necessarily have any consideration for someone else's religious beliefs. We can share, enjoy, partake in one another's culture if we choose to or not. We have our civil laws and that's the only laws we need to respect.

If you want to come here, support the USA, become an American citizen, support our secular government, that's great. If not, you shouldn't come.
I agree. I do not hate Muslims but I do recognize that Islamic ideologies conflict with the freedoms enjoyed by the Western world.

Radical jihadists do not represent all Muslims, but they are Muslim.

ST27

"Why do people hate Muslims?"

I'll tell you why *I* hate Muslims. I can't speak for other people.

1. Every, or just about every Muslim-predominate area of the current world is atrocious for human rights. Every area where Muslims are the majority religion can be assumed that women do not have equal rights, children are viewed as property, religious police are looking for every opportunity to assault or imprison citizens, and the government is corrupt.

2. Please remember #1 on this statement: Muslims are out-breeding everybody else and spreading across the globe as if it was the mission to overtake the planet (hint: it is). There have been many statements on this by prominent, important Muslims, but to condense it- the idea here is defeat of Christianity, every other religion, and every non-Islamic nation without the use of war, but rather by infiltrating through immigration and breeding as many Muslim babies as possible. It is very probable that in my lifetime or my children's lifetime, the dominant religion of the planet will be Islam. Now, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, but may I remind you of the points in #1.

3. Before I start this point, I'd like to say it is possible to condemn a religion's CURRENT actions without exonerating other religions' past actions. Every time this point is made, someone spouts up and says "well, Christianity has been violent in its past!" Well, apparently the Christians are evolving to become more civilized human beings, because the violence in the name of Christianity in our educated, modern world is practically nonexistent when compared to Islam's current barbarism. So while the Bible has some gnarly passages regarding killing enemies, modern day Christians seem to realize, for the most part, that you may not like someone else, but you have no right to just to murder them. Whereas, what are large groups of modern day religious Muslims doing? They're conquering other people through mini-wars, raping their women as sex slaves (which, by the way, is given the A-OK in their religion), murdering anybody they can (be it other Muslims that just aren't their "type" of Muslim, or other religions, and training their children from the crib to die for Allah.

4. If you think that #3 is just coincidence, I'd like to bring up some interesting tidbits. First, in Islam, everybody goes to hell. Believers go to hell too, where they are punished for their earthly sins before being able to go to paradise. But, there's a way to avoid this terrible fate and just jump the line right to the good stuff- fight in a religious war in the name of Allah. If you kill someone in Allah's name, that person takes your place in hell. Plus, sex before marriage AND masturbation is forbidden in Islam, BUT if you capture women and girls in a holy war, you've got the green light to rape them and force them to be your wife if you'd like. Add to that, if you're a psychopath that wants to kill someone, Islam says kill a non-muslim, because it is forbidden in the holy book to put a Muslim to death for killing a non-Muslim. So, in less words, #3 isn't a coincidence, the entire religion is designed to encourage violence, not reduce it.

5. As a mother of two young children, I find myself being very sensitive to child abuse. Naturally then, I find myself disgusted that people are following a prophet that married and had sex with a prepubescent child. When Muslim nations try to reform their child marriage laws and make it so that girls have to be a bit older to be married off, they are met with strong resistance by Muslims that claim that because the prophet did it, it is not only okay, but GOOD to marry little girls. Girls are dying because Muslim men are marrying them and having sex with them, and their tiny bodies are breaking just through the act of intercourse. That knowledge could be my only knowledge of Muslims and I would still hate them, without additional reasons needed! Yes, other people in the world abuse children, it is not limited to Muslims, but this isn't about rogues making bad decisions, this abuse is sanctioned in scripture and CURRENTLY used to encourage the abuse of little girls, and I will never find that okay. Heck, even the Islamic view of heaven is for men to be rewarded with "hoor", which translates basically to young virgin girls. So, not only are women and girls nothing more than property in the here-and-now, but even in heaven they are just rewards to the men. Why treat women and young girls as if they are PEOPLE with FEELINGS if your own God is waiting to distribute little virgin girls to you after death? It makes me sick.

So there you have it, the reasons I don't like Muslims. If your question was sincere, you have at least one sincere answer.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
While Islamic terrorists are inspired by the Quran, the American wars of natural resources have not helped the situation in the middle east at all.

America has played a huge role in destroying the Middle East and spawning this new form of fundamentalism.
I think that was already ongoing since Saddam decided invade Kuwait and take control of the oil fields. If America did anything, it clearly stopped Saddam and the bath party in its tracks.

It's not to say our leaders made good decisions thereafter once Saddam's intent was out of the picture there. We were instrumental in assisting Iraq in his eventual execution. A move that people questioned in light of the power vaccum that was created.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Sorry stole this thread since I didn't think it appropriate to respond in the forum it was created.
Why do people hate Muslims

However I also felt I would like to express my feelings.

While I don't hate Muslims, I think people see it as a threat to western culture. I know there are secular Muslims. I've no problem with folks willing to accept secular rule. It works. It's allowed folks from different cultures to live and work together.

That being said, I personally feel I should not have to respect, observe or necessarily have any consideration for someone else's religious beliefs. We can share, enjoy, partake in one another's culture if we choose to or not. We have our civil laws and that's the only laws we need to respect.

If you want to come here, support the USA, become an American citizen, support our secular government, that's great. If not, you shouldn't come.

I believe people generalize from those who blow people up to those who also believe in the religion.

Some people don't like anyone that is different as in wearing different head coverings.

My guess is that Christians in general don't really hate Muslims but do view them as enemies because they have a different view of Jesus and Christians view anyone else as unsaved.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If I understand you, you're saying that because things tend to go to hell when fundamentalists take over, we should conclude that Islam is bad?

So when something malfunctions, it proves that it is always, essentially, bad? Like if the brakes on my car begin to fire all the time instead of some of the time, it proves that cars should never have brakes?

Is that what you're saying?

Or are you buying into the ISIS propaganda that they are the oldest and purest representation of the faith, as opposed to (as in reality) a 21st century cult?
What I'm saying is I see no benefit from accepting faith based truth. Scientific truths a person can test and validate for themselves. Abramhamic religions are primitive belief systems we'd probably be better off without.