• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people hate Muslims?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Sorry stole this thread since I didn't think it appropriate to respond in the forum it was created.
Why do people hate Muslims

However I also felt I would like to express my feelings.

While I don't hate Muslims, I think people see it as a threat to western culture. I know there are secular Muslims. I've no problem with folks willing to accept secular rule. It works. It's allowed folks from different cultures to live and work together.

That being said, I personally feel I should not have to respect, observe or necessarily have any consideration for someone else's religious beliefs. We can share, enjoy, partake in one another's culture if we choose to or not. We have our civil laws and that's the only laws we need to respect.

If you want to come here, support the USA, become an American citizen, support our secular government, that's great. If not, you shouldn't come.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I hate the ideology associated with Islam and those that support and execute oppression and torture.

Not individual Muslims that prefer to live in peace and coexistence.

There's so much of it now, that Muslims and Islam itself are destined for a long drawn out engaugement and possibly extermination if extremism continues to plauge overall society.

It's really a shame givin how Arabic culture and religion had contributed a number of things in a positive light over the centuries only to be severely diminished in the wake of authoritarian rule and overall destruction.

It's a very bloody and destructive religion now in the eyes of so many people.

It shouldn't be any real surprise as to why hatred is so predominant. Islam as it stands is seen more as a threat than a religion.

rocala

It shouldn't be any real surprise as to why hatred is so predominant. Islam as it stands is seen more as a threat than a religion.

Sadly I must agree. Yet I feel that there is/was much beauty in Islam that is largely ignored. The story of the Prophet 'cutting off the sleeve of his coat, rather than disturbing the cat that slept upon it' has great spiritual and humanitarian beauty. The Islamic concept of humanity as 'stewards of the earth' too is inspiring. Where then is Islam in the environmental struggle?

There is hope, but I fear many dark days ahead.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
If we hold people accountable for the actions of their ancestors, we're never going to progress past the "people in your religion has done violent thing, so you're evil" line of argument.
EDIT: Speaking of Islam, and any other religion too.
Fair point!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry stole this thread since I didn't think it appropriate to respond in the forum it was created.

I don't know how many people hate Muslims or to what degree. I do recall when I was younger, Muslims were not very well-known or much on people's radar enough to either like them or hate them. The first time that there was any genuine anti-Islamic hatred was when the Iranians took over the US embassy in 1979. Prior to that, few people really knew or cared that much about the Muslims enough to actually hate them. But when they took over embassy, held our people hostage, burned our flag and shouted "Death to America," that got Americans' attention.

From a US point of view, the Muslims initiated hatred against us at a time when most Americans were barely even aware of the Muslims' existence. While it may be an oversimplification to say "the Muslims started it," that's probably how a lot of Americans might respond to the question posed in the title of the OP. The Iranians got away with their attack on the embassy and kidnapping, so that only emboldened the Muslims even further.

Things just seemed to escalate steadily during the 80s and 90s, eventually culminating in 9/11, and during all that time, many Americans never really had a very clear idea as to why these various Muslim groups were attacking us. President Bush said "they hate us for our freedom," so if Americans are led to believe that Muslims hate freedom, then freedom-loving Americans might be inclined to hate anyone who hates freedom.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
How does one account for vibrant, caring, Islamic communities composed of thousands of families nurturing each other as they support the greater interfaith community in whatever way they can. Are these people "Not True Muslims"? Or are they representative of Islam at its best?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How does one account for vibrant, caring, Islamic communities composed of thousands of families nurturing each other as they support the greater interfaith community in whatever way they can. Are these people "Not True Muslims"? Or are they representative of Islam at its best?
Islam at its best is apparently very much at odds with its own core tenets.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

However I also felt I would like to express my feelings.

While I don't hate Muslims, I think people see it as a threat to western culture. I know there are secular Muslims. I've no problem with folks willing to accept secular rule. It works. It's allowed folks from different cultures to live and work together.

That being said, I personally feel I should not have to respect, observe or necessarily have any consideration for someone else's religious beliefs. We can share, enjoy, partake in one another's culture if we choose to or not. We have our civil laws and that's the only laws we need to respect.

If you want to come here, support the USA, become an American citizen, support our secular government, that's great. If not, you shouldn't come.
I agree 100%. But, just to add, discrimination on the basis of religion should never be tolerated.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Islam at its best is apparently very much at odds with its own core tenets.
But we don't get to decide what the core tenants of Islam is any more than I get to decide what the core tenants of Christianity is. I can yell that the bible promotes misogyny, slavery, a callous and selfish attitude towards people outside their belief and ultimately an excitement towards a future where everyone will be killed and tortured but them until I'm blue in the face, but if they don't interpret the bible that way then calling it 'doctrines of Christianity' is setting up straw man, not addressing what they actually believe.