• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses change the meaning of John 10:17-18?From the kings james one?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
KJV
17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

JW
17 This is why the Father loves me, because I surrender my life, so that I may receive it again.
18No man takes it away from me, but I surrender it of my own initiative. I have authority to surrender it, and I have authority to receive it again. This commandment I received from my Father.”

If you read verses 17 and 18 in the kjv.And the jw one.The wording is not the same.I like how they handled it better in the kjv.:)

I got the bible verses comparison from post 4.
You've specifically asked 'Why'. The NWT translation was made about a century ago if not more. Assume the reason is love. Its probably the real reason, knowing what JW's are like. If want a technical answer its probably too late. The language has been drifting for a century, and the 'NWT' is no longer new. Another possible reason is that somebody wanted to screw over the JW's. That's possible, too.

King James reason was not love. His reason was perhaps a mixture of love and practicality 5%/95%. He needed to divorce his wife, but the clerics did not themselves comprehend his need. Clerics were men without wives or at least not with publicly acknowledged ones. James was in a difficult situation. This, among other motivations, led him to authorize a translation of the canon. It was less of an effort to produce the most explicitly helpful translation as it was an effort to get him free of the power of the clerical dynasty. He did free himself. He did start a new and more free fork of the Roman Catholic faith. As an intellectual he probably was hoping to help his people, his Britain; but that is only a guess by me. His overriding reason seems to be that he wanted to obtain a divorce.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think.When it says raised up.It is his body.And not his spirit form.:)
You didn't answer my question Frank. You do think a lot of things, and you do remember what you admitted about your thinking, right?

My question was...
According to Acts of the Apostles 2:24; Acts of the Apostles 2:32; Acts of the Apostles 3:15; Acts of the Apostles 13:34; Romans 4:24; 1 Corinthians 6:14; Colossians 2:12; Hebrews 13:20, did God raise up Jesus from the dead, or did Jesus raise himself up from the dead?

Also, I hope you realized, that the Greek word John used at Chapter 10, verse 17 is lambanó: - meaning to take or receive.
So that clearly shows your OP is wrong, as JWs did not change anything, but simply used the meaning that is in harmony with the context... namely, that Jesus received his life from the father.
He gave up his life. He received it again... from his father.

Also, it's important to note that you have just added your thinking to the text, making it wrong.
The scriptures do not say "raised up his body".
No, that is a belief of immortal soul believers who do not understand the scriptures, and seem to not want to.

The scriptures clearly says this...
(1 Corinthians 15:35-38) 35 Nevertheless, someone will say: “How are the dead to be raised up? Yes, with what sort of body are they coming?” 36 You unreasonable person! What you sow is not made alive unless first it dies. 37And as for what you sow, you sow, not the body that will develop, but just a bare grain, whether of wheat or of some other kind of seed; 38but God gives it a body just as it has pleased him, and gives to each of the seeds its own body.

I like Paul's words.
The KJV puts it this way...
1 Corinthians 15:35-38
35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

Which one do you like better Frank?
Let's use the one you like better. Did you notice...
Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
thou sowest not that body that shall be
But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body

So, what goes into the earth is what dies, and is not what is made alive, or what will be, but God gives the person life, and a new body, of which there are two kinds - spirit, or flesh. (1 Corinthians 15:39-40)
The other scriptures all agree. Psalms 104:29-30

That's simple and clear Frank. Those who disagree are only teaching falsehoods. Not truth.
Listening to them, and then challenging Jehovah's people, imo, is comparable to spending one's time doing this...
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Frank Goad

I do remember what I said about my thinking.I think God brought Jesus back from the dead.Because of this: Also, I hope you realized, that the Greek word John used at Chapter 10, verse 17 is lambanó: - meaning to take or receive.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
I do remember what I said about my thinking.I think God brought Jesus back from the dead.Because of this: Also, I hope you realized, that the Greek word John used at Chapter 10, verse 18 is lambanó: - meaning to take or receive.
What about the scriptures? Don't you accept that God raised Jesus from the dead, based on the scriptures? Acts of the Apostles 2:24; Acts of the Apostles 2:32; Acts of the Apostles 3:15; Acts of the Apostles 13:34; Romans 4:24; 1 Corinthians 6:14; Colossians 2:12; Hebrews 13:20

Bree

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses change the meaning of John 10:17-18?From the king james one?I think the king james one is right.And the Jehovah's Witness one is wrong.

the meaning has not changed

The language is modern english as opposed to medievil english

nPeace

Veteran Member
I do remember what I said about my thinking.I think God brought Jesus back from the dead.Because of this: Also, I hope you realized, that the Greek word John used at Chapter 10, verse 18 is lambanó: - meaning to take or receive.
...and I made a mistake. That should be Chapter 10, verse 17.
So you can edit your post to reflect that. :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
That makes sense too.:)
Makes sense? So you don't go by what scripture says, but what you think?
It's not about what makes sense Frank. We either accept what was written down for us to know, or we don't.
Isn't that what the scriptures tell us? 2 Timothy 3:16-17

If we don't allow the scriptures to adjust our thinking, what we think makes sense to us will just be mere foolishness, and we will be arguing for our beliefs. Not scripture.

Do you think Jesus will be happy with that?
Um. Hold that thought. ;) Read 2 Timothy 4:3-5

Frank Goad

Makes sense? So you don't go by what scripture says, but what you think?
It's not about what makes sense Frank. We either accept what was written down for us to know, or we don't.
Isn't that what the scriptures tell us? 2 Timothy 3:16-17

If we don't allow the scriptures to adjust our thinking, what we think makes sense to us will just be mere foolishness, and we will be arguing for our beliefs. Not scripture.

Do you think Jesus will be happy with that?
Um. Hold that thought. ;) Read 2 Timothy 4:3-5

I guess this stuff is over my head.:(

nPeace

Veteran Member
I guess this stuff is over my head.:(
If it's over your head, what is the purpose of asking questions?
If you are unable to understand a simple answer, would that not mean the questions are a waste of time... for everyone - including you?

Frank Goad

If it's over your head, what is the purpose of asking questions?
If you are unable to understand a simple answer, would that not mean the questions are a waste of time... for everyone - including you?

I guess I should ask my Methodist friends what they think.Maybe I will understand better.If it comes from my own religion.:)

firedragon

Veteran Member
The difference I do see is: "my" Father vs "the" Father. I think "my" is more accurate.

No. Thats wrong Ken. It says "Ho", not "Mou". It should be "the".

Although "surrender" my life does have have an understanding as he surrendered to the Father's will, I think "lay down" is still better because it has a sense of authority of his own power and capacity.

It's more like "Put". So surrender or lay down is a matter of interpretation really.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Why do Jehovah's Witnesses change the meaning of John 10:17-18?From the king james one?I think the king james one is right.And the Jehovah's Witness one is wrong.

I would love to know what are the issues you have with both of these translations. Small differences but maybe it has big impact.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Oh, so even though the translations are no different in that text, Note: You haven't up till now pointed out the difference, you just like the KJV better, because you want to be against Jehovah's Witnesses. :) ...because you want to be Methodist. :)

I was going to tell you don't mind the belief in post #13, but I changed my mind. :D

I can accept the JW translation of John 10:17,18 if it is an accurate translation but JWs cannot accept the KJV (and most others) translation because it refutes the JW doctrine.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Also, it's important to note that you have just added your thinking to the text, making it wrong.
The scriptures do not say "raised up his body".
No, that is a belief of immortal soul believers who do not understand the scriptures, and seem to not want to.

You don't have to think the soul lives forever to believe that it is only the body that dies when we die and the spiritual soul lives on.
Matt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

So, what goes into the earth is what dies, and is not what is made alive, or what will be, but God gives the person life, and a new body, of which there are two kinds - spirit, or flesh. (1 Corinthians 15:39-40)
The other scriptures all agree. Psalms 104:29-30

That's simple and clear Frank. Those who disagree are only teaching falsehoods. Not truth.
Listening to them, and then challenging Jehovah's people, imo, is comparable to spending one's time doing this...
giphy.gif

It is clear that neither 1Cor 15:39,40 nor Psalm 104:29,30 teach that some are to be resurrected as spirits.
The body is a spiritual body, not a spirit body. It is a subtle difference so I better repeat it: The body is a spiritual body, not a spirit body.:)
A house of cards indeed.
And we do see it taught in Romans 8 that our bodies are to be resurrected. (Romans 8: 11 and 23 despite the fact that the New World Translation of Romans 8:23 seems to be different to all other translations and tries to make it look as if the bodies are not resurrected.)

Colt

In my opinion its a fraud!

They changed the meaning because Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe Jesus returned from the death of his mortal temple on his own volition.

* JW believe that Jesus was thoroughly dead and was at the mercy of the Father to "raise him up".

* Jesus said he could John 10:18 and would John 2:19 return on his own volition thus proving his authority and frankly his identity John 14:9.

The Jehovah Witnesses literally changed the Biblical translation to fit their unbelief that Jesus returned from apparent death on his own.

JW fraud: This is why the Father loves me, because I surrender my life, so that I may receive it again. 18 No man takes it away from me, but I surrender it of my own initiative. I have authority to surrender it, and I have authority to receive it again.

KJV: The reason the Father loves Me is that I lay down My life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from My Father.”

This is a clear example of the anti-preexistent divinity crowd in action! The JW's decided to just blatantly change the words to fit what they belive rather than continue with the twisted apologetics!

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member

We don't.
Our bible uses a simpler vocabulary so people can understand the verses better. We don't change the meaning.
Please don't confuse your inability to understand with someone else's actions.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You are going to need to quote it from both texts, and then explain why you think they say something different. I looked up both translations, and they certainly appear to say the same thing (just different wording).