• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Christians Eat Pork?

lostwanderingsoul

People who call themselves "Christian" are so anti-Jew that they will do anything to be different from what Jews do. Even when Jews are following the Bible. So "Christians" are willing to go against the Bible just to show they are different from the Jews. And God said the Jews are His chosen people so "Christians are on shaky ground for many reasons.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Wonder what changed? If something was once unacceptable to eat then later ok.. surely the meat was better or peoples tolerance to it had increased. If it was at any time ever a thing there has to be something about it.
I am sure the answer to this is one given earlier, namely that Christianity spread rapidly among non-Jews, who would not have had religious dietary laws. Since one of the themes of Christianity was that it was a renewed successor to the ancient Jewish faith, there would have been no reason to drag into it a load of laws about diet, which has nothing at all to do with Man's relationship with God.

Pigs were some of the most useful food animals in Europe, being able to eat almost anything and not requiring large amounts of space to gather their food from. Once preservation by curing and salting had been mastered, these animals were very useful to provide sustenance through the long cold winters. They have been kept and eaten for thousands of years.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
I am sure the answer to this is one given earlier, namely that Christianity spread rapidly among non-Jews, who would not have had religious dietary laws. Since one of the themes of Christianity was that it was a renewed successor to the ancient Jewish faith, there would have been no reason to drag into it a load of laws about diet, which has nothing at all to do with Man's relationship with God.

Pigs were some of the most useful food animals in Europe, being able to eat almost anything and not requiring large amounts of space to gather their food from. Once preservation by curing and salting had been mastered, these animals were very useful to provide sustenance through the long cold winters. They have been kept and eaten for thousands of years.

Nice! Ok, thanks!

exchemist

Veteran Member
So, Jesus said that people that followed him didn't have to follow those laws?
Jesus made fairly clear in the New Testament what was important. He had little time for the myriad nit-picking rules with which some Jews of the time had encumbered their faith. He said nothing specific about Jewish dietary laws either way, but it can be inferred from the rest of his teaching that this would have been exactly the sort of pointless rule-making he viewed as irrelevant to Man's relationship with God.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Jesus declared all foods clean when he said, "It's not what goes into a body that defiles a person but what comes out of the person." The gospel of Mark provides the literal commentary that when Jesus spoke these words, he declared all foods clean.

He changed the rules the Father set?

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Jesus made fairly clear in the New Testament what was important. He had little time for the myriad of nit-picking rules with which some Jews of the time had encumbered their faith. He said nothing specific about Jewish dietary laws either way, but it can be inferred from the rest of his teaching that this would have been exactly the sort of pointless rule-making he viewed as irrelevant to Man's relationship with God.

If something can cause physical harm then it is still important.

exchemist

Veteran Member
If something can cause physical harm then it is still important.
1) There is no evidence eating pork is harmful. As I say it has been eaten all over the world for thousands of years, in a wide variety of cultures.

2) The concern of Christianity is Man's relationship with God, not to provide medical advice.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
He changed the rules the Father set?

No.

John 10:30 Jesus says, "I and the Father are One." The kashrut, Jewish dietary law was to train the Jews to live rightly, but it was never intended to be taken as sacred. Just like the Sabbath, if someone's dying, you try to save them on that day. Likewise, if it comes down to rejecting others because they are Gentiles (symbolically what the dietary law is actually about), you have a decision to make.

As I say, Peter's dream in Acts 10:9-16 basically states the law of kosher eating is not valid for Christians. This section explains it in detail.

Can Christians Eat Pork? Is Eating Pork A Sin? The Truth

The Jews still follow kashrut, because as far as they're concerned, the Messiah hasn't come yet. So they're living under the old law.

The Muslims? They're all wet. They just did this law because the Jews had this law, and their version isn't really well-examined (why is it okay to eat fruit covered with bugs? And why is it okay to eat shellfish?)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Jews still follow kashrut, because as far as they're concerned, the Messiah hasn't come yet. So they're living under the old law.
The Law won't change when the Messiah comes. So there is no 'old law'. There's The Torah Law for Jews and the Noahide Law for Noahides. These things never change.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
No.

John 10:30 Jesus says, "I and the Father are One." The kashrut, Jewish dietary law was to train the Jews to live rightly, but it was never intended to be taken as sacred. Just like the Sabbath, if someone's dying, you try to save them on that day. Likewise, if it comes down to rejecting others because they are Gentiles (symbolically what the dietary law is actually about), you have a decision to make.

As I say, Peter's dream in Acts 10:9-16 basically states the law of kosher eating is not valid for Christians. This section explains it in detail.

Can Christians Eat Pork? Is Eating Pork A Sin? The Truth

The Muslims? They're all wet. They just did this law because the Jews had this law, and their version isn't really well-examined (why is it okay to eat fruit covered with bugs? And why is it okay to eat shellfish?)

Thanks for sharing!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I am curious as to why Christians eat pork? It has been named unclean in numerous verses.
There are a lot of things Christians don't do because the bible says not to so why is this an exception?
If you are a Christian and dont eat pork I dont mean to offend or speak for an entire religion but where I live I pass BBQ pork places that have a cross in their logo so its not even thought about it. Off topic but didnt the Buddha die from some pork?
Regardless, wouldn't it just be better if we didn't eat it? I know how delicious bacon is but is it worth it?

View attachment 25116

it isn't what goes into a man that makes them unclean but what comes from the heart. so ma'at weighs the heart on the scale against her feather.