• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Christians Eat Pork?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Off topic but didnt the Buddha die from some pork?
What caused his death is in dispute. Some say food that had gone bad.

But in general, what food is considered acceptable varies by religion with Hindus finding what Muslims eat utterly objectionable, for example.

My own personal bias is that what comes out of a person's mouth is much more important than what goes into it.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I am curious as to why Christians eat pork? It has been named unclean in numerous verses. There are a lot of things Christians don't do because the bible says not to so why is this an exception?

If you are a Christian and dont eat pork I dont mean to offend or speak for an entire religion but where I live I pass BBQ pork places that have a cross in their logo so its not even thought about it.

Off topic but didnt the Buddha die from some pork? Regardless, wouldn't it just be better if we didn't eat it? I know how delicious bacon is but is it worth it?

Because we can. In Acts, Peter is rejecting Gentiles as potential disciples. Then he has a dream where he sees a moving table (conveyer belt, really) filled with forbidden meats, and he's commanded to eat.

Christians can follow any diet they wish. In fact, far worse is trying to impose action on others. They say in later passages that the law is a "curse."

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I am curious as to why Christians eat pork? It has been named unclean in numerous verses. There are a lot of things Christians don't do because the bible says not to so why is this an exception?

If you are a Christian and dont eat pork I dont mean to offend or speak for an entire religion but where I live I pass BBQ pork places that have a cross in their logo so its not even thought about it.

Off topic but didnt the Buddha die from some pork? Regardless, wouldn't it just be better if we didn't eat it? I know how delicious bacon is but is it worth it?
The Mosaic Law in the Hebrew Scriptures (OT), was for the Israelites to follow.

So was circumsicion for males.

If you read Acts of the Apostles 15, you’ll see the Mosaic Law didn’t apply to Christians

Cooky

Veteran Member

Have you ever tried pork?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Christians also eat shellfish and other non kosher foods. There are several possible reasons for this. The most common reason is the accounts given in the book Acts in which the apostle Peter has a vision where he is told that certain creatures are clean. This raises questions, however. In the first place if we are going by the written Torah, anyone who teaches Jews not to follow the law regardless of miracles they give as signs they are false. The account in Acts therefore cannot possibly explain in my opinion why. There is actually a different reason, and the reason is the Christians are not Jews. We do not get circumcised to begin with and are therefore not required to be kosher. Instead we are a new creation, and this is I think one of the better explanations.

Yeah, but shrimp are still the cockroaches of the sea. Yuck.

Tumah

Veteran Member

I can't help but wonder if you chose pork specifically because it's prohibited in Islam.
In Judaism - from which this prohibition comes - pork is just as prohibited as camel, shrimp, crab, and uromastyx. But rather than ask why Christians don't follow all Jewish dietary Laws, you chose only the one prohibited also by Islam. Do you expect that since it's also prohibited by Islam, Christians would be more likely to abstain from it?

Altfish

Veteran Member

Surely this was to do with the times and conditions the 'holy' books were written in.
Today we have modern farming, understand hygiene and have far superior cooking methods. So pork is safe...and lovely, especially bacon butties.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Surely this was to do with the times and conditions the 'holy' books were written in.
Today we have modern farming, understand hygiene and have far superior cooking methods. So pork is safe...and lovely, especially bacon butties.

Never heard of bacon butties... :hearteyes:

Ever had one with fried egg?
The Ultimate Bacon Butty Breakfast Sandwich

bacon-butty-breakfast-sandwich-14-adjusted.jpg

Cooky

Veteran Member
Personally, my all time favorite comfort food is cheesy ham and potato casserole. Man, I love that stuff... I wish I had some right now.

Cooky

Veteran Member

What kind of meat do you eat? Mostly lamb?

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Well it's up to everyone to decide if they think something is healthy or not.

Another thing about the new Testament is that it's for all kinds of people. The old Testament was for Hebrews. So it was easy to say "no pork". The Hebrews didn't eat much pork anyway. They herded cows, goats and sheep.

The point was not to place to many burdens on new gentile converts. These new gentile converts may get all their livelihood from raising pigs. Again the focus of the new Testament is to be pure in your heart. True uncleanliness is within us. Evil thoughts, lust, hatred etc.

So it had more liberty in some ways. But is stricter (than the old Testament) where it really counts.

Correct, it is up to everyone to make our own ideas of what is healthy. The only way we can draw a conclusion is to base off other ideas and research. So, we have to decide which source we are going to get that from. I prefer to get my health tips from what I personally believe is the Source. Health tips can be made for both cases so who knows? :)
Is Pork Bad for You? 4 Hidden Dangers

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
It does leave me wondering: the answer to the question is easily Googleable, so if you were just interested in knowing the answer, you would have presumably gone that route.

... but you didn't, which suggests to me that you're not (or not only) interested in knowing the answer. This makes me wonder why you started the thread.

To have a discussion. I have not been rude to anyone or dismissed their thoughts. I can easily google the answer but it doesn't give the one on one opinion from the Christians for this topic. So kindly worry about what you want to talk about and care less about a thread I post to ignite conversation.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
What caused his death is in dispute. Some say food that had gone bad.

But in general, what food is considered acceptable varies by religion with Hindus finding what Muslims eat utterly objectionable, for example.

My own personal bias is that what comes out of a person's mouth is much more important than what goes into it.

Very cool. Thanks!

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Because we can. In Acts, Peter is rejecting Gentiles as potential disciples. Then he has a dream where he sees a moving table (conveyer belt, really) filled with forbidden meats, and he's commanded to eat.

Christians can follow any diet they wish. In fact, far worse is trying to impose action on others. They say in later passages that the law is a "curse."

Wonder what changed? If something was once unacceptable to eat then later ok.. surely the meat was better or peoples tolerance to it had increased. If it was at any time ever a thing there has to be something about it.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
I want to take you seriously, but when reading posts like this, I have to call into question the authenticity of your posts.

Ok. To interact with Christians that eat pork to respectfully get their opinion. If you don't like it you can easily over look my thread and proceed with your own day. Thanks

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
The Mosaic Law in the Hebrew Scriptures (OT), was for the Israelites to follow.

So was circumsicion for males.

If you read Acts of the Apostles 15, you’ll see the Mosaic Law didn’t apply to Christians

So, Jesus said that people that followed him didn't have to follow those laws?