• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Christians Eat Pork?

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
I am curious as to why Christians eat pork? It has been named unclean in numerous verses.
There are a lot of things Christians don't do because the bible says not to so why is this an exception?
If you are a Christian and dont eat pork I dont mean to offend or speak for an entire religion but where I live I pass BBQ pork places that have a cross in their logo so its not even thought about it. Off topic but didnt the Buddha die from some pork?
Regardless, wouldn't it just be better if we didn't eat it? I know how delicious bacon is but is it worth it?

pork-clipart-dirty-pig-725277-2201031.jpg

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I am curious as to why Christians eat pork? It has been named unclean in numerous verses. There are a lot of things Christians don't do because the bible says not to so why is this an exception?

If you are a Christian and dont eat pork I dont mean to offend or speak for an entire religion but where I live I pass BBQ pork places that have a cross in their logo so its not even thought about it.

Off topic but didnt the Buddha die from some pork? Regardless, wouldn't it just be better if we didn't eat it? I know how delicious bacon is but is it worth it?
Christians also eat shellfish and other non kosher foods. There are several possible reasons for this. The most common reason is the accounts given in the book Acts in which the apostle Peter has a vision where he is told that certain creatures are clean. This raises questions, however. In the first place if we are going by the written Torah, anyone who teaches Jews not to follow the law regardless of miracles they give as signs they are false. The account in Acts therefore cannot possibly explain in my opinion why. There is actually a different reason, and the reason is the Christians are not Jews. We do not get circumcised to begin with and are therefore not required to be kosher. Instead we are a new creation, and this is I think one of the better explanations.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
"One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him." - Romans 14:2-3, ESV

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I am curious as to why Christians eat pork? It has been named unclean in numerous verses. There are a lot of things Christians don't do because the bible says not to so why is this an exception?

If you are a Christian and dont eat pork I dont mean to offend or speak for an entire religion but where I live I pass BBQ pork places that have a cross in their logo so its not even thought about it.

Off topic but didnt the Buddha die from some pork? Regardless, wouldn't it just be better if we didn't eat it? I know how delicious bacon is but is it worth it?

"In summary, this pilot study demonstrated that regular inclusion of lean fresh pork in the diet in place of other meats may improve body composition without adversely affecting risk factors for diabetes and CV disease. Improvements in body composition were achieved without energy restriction or apparent changes in physical activity levels, total meat or protein intakes. However, the change in body composition may reflect a subtle difference in energy balance. Further research is warranted to investigate the effect of different meat sources on energy balance and body composition using more sensitive technology. The present observations suggest that the perception of pork as a less nutritious meat should be reconsidered"

Reference:

Nutrients. 2012 Jul; 4(7): 711–723.
Published online 2012 Jul 5. doi: [10.3390/nu4070711]
PMCID: PMC3407990
PMID: 22852059
Effects of Eating Fresh Lean Pork on Cardiometabolic Health Parameters
Karen J. Murphy,* Rebecca L. Thomson, Alison M. Coates, Jonathan D. Buckley, and Peter R. C. Howe

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Christians also eat shellfish and other non kosher foods. There are several possible reasons for this. The most common reason is the accounts given in the book Acts in which the apostle Peter has a vision where he is told that certain creatures are clean. This raises questions, however. In the first place if we are going by the written Torah, anyone who teaches Jews not to follow the law regardless of miracles they give as signs they are false. The account in Acts therefore cannot possibly explain in my opinion why. There is actually a different reason, and the reason is the Christians are not Jews. We do not get circumcised to begin with and are therefore not required to be kosher. Instead we are a new creation, and this is I think one of the better explanations.

Interesting answer, thanks!

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
"In summary, this pilot study demonstrated that regular inclusion of lean fresh pork in the diet in place of other meats may improve body composition without adversely affecting risk factors for diabetes and CV disease. Improvements in body composition were achieved without energy restriction or apparent changes in physical activity levels, total meat or protein intakes. However, the change in body composition may reflect a subtle difference in energy balance. Further research is warranted to investigate the effect of different meat sources on energy balance and body composition using more sensitive technology. The present observations suggest that the perception of pork as a less nutritious meat should be reconsidered"

Reference:

Nutrients. 2012 Jul; 4(7): 711–723.
Published online 2012 Jul 5. doi: [10.3390/nu4070711]
PMCID: PMC3407990
PMID: 22852059
Effects of Eating Fresh Lean Pork on Cardiometabolic Health Parameters
Karen J. Murphy,* Rebecca L. Thomson, Alison M. Coates, Jonathan D. Buckley, and Peter R. C. Howe

Science shows the exact opposite of what you said as well. Regardless, to each their own. I just have my beliefs and opinions but have seen a various display of cases. I've known healthy people to die young naturally and unhealthy people to live long.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Science shows the exact opposite of what you said as well. /QUOTE]

Could you please provide a reference from a scientifically peer-reviewed medical research study that concludes properly cooked fresh pork consumed in moderation is unhealthy.

Citation please.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
Properly cooked fresh pork consumed in moderation poses no health risk and is indeed very nourishing.

Hey Salvador thanks for your time. I respect you and your research. Google works in many directions if you want to explore alternatives. Thanks and God Bless.

74x12

The new Testament in general focuses on inward holiness. That is purity of the mind, the conscience, the spirit. Instead of focusing on outward signs of holiness such as abstaining from "unclean" meats. However, if eating pork offends someone's conscience; then they should abstain from it. But there is no need if we have more knowledge and trust in God.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
The new Testament in general focuses on inward holiness. That is purity of the mind, the conscience, the spirit. Instead of focusing on outward signs of holiness such as abstaining from "unclean" meats. However, if eating pork offends someone's conscience; then they should abstain from it. But there is no need if we have more knowledge and trust in God.

I understand mental focus. However, we have to sustain this physical body in order to do that. My theory is if God has said or ever said to not eat pork why do it. Our body is a temple so we should treat like nature and be resourceful and prolong life as long as possible. The more we can live and learn here the more it will benefit hereafter.

74x12

I understand mental focus. However, we have to sustain this physical body in order to do that. My theory is if God has said or ever said to not eat pork why do it. Our body is a temple so we should treat like nature and be resourceful and prolong life as long as possible.
Well it's up to everyone to decide if they think something is healthy or not.

Another thing about the new Testament is that it's for all kinds of people. The old Testament was for Hebrews. So it was easy to say "no pork". The Hebrews didn't eat much pork anyway. They herded cows, goats and sheep.

The point was not to place to many burdens on new gentile converts. These new gentile converts may get all their livelihood from raising pigs. Again the focus of the new Testament is to be pure in your heart. True uncleanliness is within us. Evil thoughts, lust, hatred etc.

So it had more liberty in some ways. But is stricter (than the old Testament) where it really counts.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Because it tastes good...and my country is the world capital of pork: from charcuterie, to porchetta, to pork chops.

porchetta-2.jpg

1_salumi_pulice.jpg

salumi-1-640x504.jpg

1-immagine-categoria-ok-1-1024x284.jpg

Btw...the New Testament prescribes no restriction as for meat.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
One common Christian take on this is that Christians "died with Christ" and therefore are released from the laws for the living, including the laws of the Torah, which are still in effect (for the "living").

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No need to be rude and sarcastic. That's not cool.
It does leave me wondering: the answer to the question is easily Googleable, so if you were just interested in knowing the answer, you would have presumably gone that route.

... but you didn't, which suggests to me that you're not (or not only) interested in knowing the answer. This makes me wonder why you started the thread.