• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do christianity get so much hate?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
"Jesus and his 1st-century followers did Not even get involved in the 'issues of the day' between the Jews and Romans."
Interesting statement. So, you don't think Jesus cared about the oppression of the people in Judea, by the Romans?
Yes, Jesus cared that is why he spent his time talking with others - Luke 4:43
Not politics but about the good news (aka gospel) about the solution being God's Kingdom ( thy kingdom come.... )
Since Satan is the 'god' of this world of badness - 2nd Corinthians 4:4 - then it is No surprise the world is in the bad condition it is in - Revelation 12:12,9 - but Jesus will come to the rescue - Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15.
Those who practice righteousness will be saved/ delivered/ rescued at the coming time of Matthew 25:31-34,37.
This is a reason why we are all invited to ask God for Jesus to come ! Rev. 22:20
Come and bring 'healing' to earth's nations, and Jesus will.- Rev. 22:2; 1st Corinthians 15:24-26

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Christians are commanded to spread their message which is that non believers will go to forever hell for not believing. It's a false truth imposed on everyone and it has spread far and wide.
Do you enjoy that you are being told that you will be going to hell for not being a Christian?
Pick up a Bible and it'll tell you these things.
Believe, repent, or else ultimatums galore.
I don't practice hate, but it gets my outrage and ire. I don't trust Christians.
Christianity is a poorly thought out crutch. You can get far more superior morals from a dictionary, and using your own mind about it.
False clergy may teach 'go to forever in hell' ( as in burn forever ) but that is Not what the Bible teaches.
Biblical hell is simply mankind's temporary stone-cold grave for the 'sleeping' dead.
That is why Jesus and the OT both teach 'sleep in death'.
- Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14
Even the very day righteous Jesus died Jesus went to biblical hell - Acts 2:27
Not to burn but he got a well deserved rest for a few days.
When the King James Version translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire that put flames in the grave.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed.
So, Gehenna is a fitting word for: destruction.
That is why the Bible teaches the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' Not roasted forever.
- Psalm 37:38; Psalm 92:7; Psalm 104:35; Psalm 145:20; Proverbs 2:21-22
So, don't trust 'so-called Christians' who are wolves in sheep's clothing - Acts 20:29-30

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Christians are commanded to spread their message.......................................
Christianity is a poorly thought out crutch. You can get far more superior morals from a dictionary, and using your own mind about it.
Yes, and the message is about the good news aka gospel about God's Kingdom ( thy kingdom come.... )
Jesus, as King of God's Kingdom, will govern over Earth for a thousand years - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
Unless damaged we come with an inborn conscience - Romans 2:14-15 - a moral guide.
If ignored a conscience can become very hardened calloused like flesh branded by a hot branding iron.- 1st Timothy 4:2

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Yes, and the message is about the good news aka gospel about God's Kingdom ( thy kingdom come.... )
Jesus, as King of God's Kingdom, will govern over Earth for a thousand years - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
Unless damaged we come with an inborn conscience - Romans 2:14-15 - a moral guide.
If ignored a conscience can become very hardened calloused like flesh branded by a hot branding iron.- 1st Timothy 4:2
I've never had a Bible conscience. Never once!

What exactly is the moral conscience of the Bible? Are you trying to say that this Bible conscience is in everyone, and bears witness that the Bible is true?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I've never had a Bible conscience. Never once!
What exactly is the moral conscience of the Bible? Are you trying to say that this Bible conscience is in everyone, and bears witness that the Bible is true?
No. Not saying Bible conscience is in everyone that the Bible is true.
Rather, the people of the nations who do Not have the Law ( can include the Law of Christ - Galatians 6:2; John 13:34-35) do by nature the things of the law ...... - see Romans 2:14-15.
The Bible gives supplementary training to one's God-given conscience. (Bible is like an owner's instruction manual )
So, one's innate knowledge can be listened to or violated.- Ephesians 2:2

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Why do christianity get so much hate? It is really frustrating. I am not a christian but I think about christians that get hate just because of the religion they are following. It is so sad
If Christians were like believers in garden fairies, without any pretense of affecting other people's lives, then nobody would care.

the problem starts when said Christians insist on things like:

- What we women do with our bodies, and possible embryos in it
- What people can or cannot decide about how they want to terminate their life if they want to
- etc.

Then they had it coming. For they try to influence the lives of others, on the base of a belief in a God that has the same evidence of Mickey Mouse.

Ciao

- viole

☆Dreamwind☆

If Christians were like believers in garden fairies, without any pretense of affecting other people's lives, then nobody would care.

the problem starts when said Christians insist on things like:

- What we women do with our bodies, and possible embryos in it
- What people can or cannot decide about how they want to terminate their life if they want to
- etc.

Then they had it coming. For they try to influence the lives of others, on the base of a belief in a God that has the same evidence of Mickey Mouse.

Ciao

- viole
That is very very very true. Although I will say that many Christians are also staunch defenders of civil rights.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do christianity get so much hate? It is really frustrating. I am not a christian but I think about christians that get hate just because of the religion they are following. It is so sad
I think because they're the pre-eminent religion in the First World, so that if you're anti-religion, they're the obvious place to start. And of course they did themselves no favors with two or three decades of child abuse enquiries and prosecutions running through courts all over the world ─ with ongoing harm, for example this in Washington five years ago, this from the UK three years ago and this in Australia last year.

In another thread I posted a note on what offends me personally about Christianity, but I know too many Christians who are friends or dear relatives to reflect my views onto such people ─ I'm not anti-religion as such. I don't mind what religion people follow. What matters is that they do no harm and act towards others with decency, respect, inclusion and common sense, as I'm occasionally heard to say.

PearlSeeker

I think for me because it lied to me about the authority it had over my life.
I don't hate it now but there was a time I felt betrayed by the trust I was told I ought to put into it by people I really thought held my best interest in mind. But, in reality, they were really trying to force me to accept their beliefs.
According to their beliefs indoctrination is in the best interest of the child.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
According to their beliefs indoctrination is in the best interest of the child.

Yah... I experienced heavy indoctrination as well growing up, but I do think my parents were doing what they thought was best. At the end of the day, intention does matter more to me despite the damage heavy indoctrination can do and has done in my life. No one goes through life unscathed, so the best thing anyone can do is to make the best of the situation they have - that includes my parents when they did what they thought was right

PearlSeeker

Yah... I experienced heavy indoctrination as well growing up, but I do think my parents were doing what they thought was best. At the end of the day, intention does matter more to me despite the damage heavy indoctrination can do and has done in my life. No one goes through life unscathed, so the best thing anyone can do is to make the best of the situation they have - that includes my parents when they did what they thought was right
I was also indoctrinated and I don't resent it at all. My parents also did it with good intent. It had a positive impact on my upbringing, encouraging a virtuous life, giving me comfort in difficult times... Maybe there was also some damage - hindering of critical thinking...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Why should anybody believe that "Christ offers the only hope for humanity"?
And it's you that won't listen. Several posters have given good answers for why they don't like or respect much of Christianity, but they meant nothing to you. Likewise with the OP, who asked why so much antipathy for Christianity and then failed to address or even acknowledge seeing any of those answers. What message do you think that things like that send? I'll tell you.
Unfaithful Jews, huh? Faith in what? Jesus? They had no reason to follow Jesus. Faithful Jews were faithful to Judaism, not Jesus, and no doubt saw Jesus as unfaithful and a heretic. And the Romans saw Jesus as unfaithful to their laws and also had no faith in Jesus, but it looks like you wanted to take a shot at the Jews.
Poor Christians. They're such good people with a precious gift, and people persecute them just for being so righteous and loving. That's the fantasy. That's what you tell yourselves. Look through this thread for the reality. Look in the news. Look at what Christians have done to women in the States. Look at how they treat LGBTQ+. Look at what they say about atheists. Why would anybody in any of those groups not in that religion feel any good feelings at all for it? Why wouldn't they prefer that it simply disappeared and stopped spreading its bigotries? These are rhetorical questions. They need no answers. The answers are obvious, but not to the Christian who sees himself as a martyr for his faith and a benefactor to humanity for trying to spread it.
Yes, just like today. Some of what Jesus said is compatible with atheistic humanism and its utilitarian ethics and its rational, empirical epistemology, but much is just bigotry, irrational restrictions, and magical thinking with some strange advice thrown in there. Hint: loving enemies is a bad idea. So is turning the other cheek. Both invite further aggression from those that would harm you.
Why? because the only hope for humanity is: resurrection
We can't resurrect oneself or another so we need someone who can resurrect us - Jesus - Rev. 1:18
There is a difference between 1st-century Christian teachings and so-called teachings - Acts 20:29-30
Sure there was good reason for the Jews in Jerusalem to turn to Jesus because Jesus was forewarning them to leave the city - (Matthew 24:15-16) - Those who listened to Jesus fled the city in the year 66.
In the year 70 the Roman armies destroyed Jerusalem, but those who listened to Jesus were gone from the city.
Christians will be hated for their political neutrality. Just as Jesus and his 1st-century followers did Not get involved in the political issues of the day between the Jews and Romans, and the Jews against Jesus got the Romans to do their dirty work by getting Jesus executed for sedition, treason and injured majesty.
Christians do Not interfere with people's moral issues. It it their choice but Christian will teach what the Bible says.
Turning the other cheek is Not about inviting further aggression but ' a slap on the cheek ' was as an insult.
A slap on the cheek was Not being punched. There is Nothing wrong with self defense.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why? because the only hope for humanity is: resurrection
My question was why one should believe that? I have no reason to believe that, so I don't.
Christians will be hated for their political neutrality.
Christians that are hated are hated for their opinions and actions. You and others have been told that repeatedly in a thread asking why Christians are hated and none have showed any evidence that they even read the answers.
between the Jews and Romans, and the Jews against Jesus got the Romans to do their dirty work by getting Jesus executed for sedition, treason and injured majesty.
The Jews would have executed Jesus themselves if they had been sovereign. And the Romans didn't execute people because the Jews asked them to. He committed a capital crime by their reckoning. Interestingly, the Romans agreed, but cited a different capital crime. Jesus was executed for violating Roman law, not Jewish law.
Christians do Not interfere with people's moral issues.
That's incorrect. They do, and it's one reason that some of them and their religion are disesteemed by many. In America, they're very much trying to interfere in the lives of LGBTQ+ and pregnant women who want an abortion on moral grounds. They would do the same to me, an atheist, if they could. The Christian Bible goes to great lengths to marginalize and demonize atheists. Earlier on this thread, I posted this. Why don't you take a moment to read that and explain why you don't think that is moralizing against unbeliers, and moreover, why you say that it isn't bigotry and hate speech if you think it's not:

[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1

[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8

[3]"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?"- 2 Corinthians 6:14

[4] Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ." - 1 John 2:22

[5] "Whoever is not with me is against me" - Luke 11:23

Altogether, they depict unbelievers as corrupt, vile, wicked, abominable, godless vessels of darkness in the service of evil, not one of which does any good, to be shunned, fit to be burned alive forever as enemies of a good god, and the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers. Isn't that reason enough to disrespect the religion that teaches people to think and say such things?

Try substituting Christian (or gay or black) for unbeliever in those scriptures and tell me if you consider that anti-Christian bigotry: The fool says there's a god, but such people are vile and corrupt, not one of which does good. Not one. How about you? Are you a good man? You're slandering an entire class of law-abiding people who are typically gainfully employed, raise families, and contribute to their communities with a lie which you have assimilated uncritically. Does a good man do that? Dopes a religion that teaches that deserve the unbeliever's respect or his contempt?

Turning the other cheek is Not about inviting further aggression
Sure it is. Somebody has just stricken your cheek. What are your options? You can hit him back. You can cover your face. You can walk away. You can try to negotiate a peace. Or, you can give him the other cheek to smite. Offering the other cheek is not a good choice.
There is Nothing wrong with self defense.
Turning the other cheek is not self-defense.

And if one is trying to make some statement of tolerance or non-violence with this act, shouldn't he be offering the tender cheek? Turning the other cheek is not even as good as offering the same cheek, and both are at the bottom of any list except that of a pacifist, who would disagree with you that there is nothing wrong with self-defense and put striking back at the bottom.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
My question was why one should believe that? I have no reason to believe that, so I don't.
Christians that are hated are hated for their opinions and actions. You and others have been told that repeatedly in a thread asking why Christians are hated and none have showed any evidence that they even read the answers.
The Jews would have executed Jesus themselves if they had been sovereign. And the Romans didn't execute people because the Jews asked them to. He committed a capital crime by their reckoning. Interestingly, the Romans agreed, but cited a different capital crime. Jesus was executed for violating Roman law, not Jewish law.
That's incorrect. They do, and it's one reason that some of them and their religion are disesteemed by many. In America, they're very much trying to interfere in the lives of LGBTQ+ and pregnant women who want an abortion on moral grounds. They would do the same to me, an atheist, if they could. The Christian Bible goes to great lengths to marginalize and demonize atheists. Earlier on this thread, I posted this. Why don't you take a moment to read that and explain why you don't think that is moralizing against unbeliers, and moreover, why you say that it isn't bigotry and hate speech if you think it's not:
[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1
[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8
[3]"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?"- 2 Corinthians 6:14
[4] Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ." - 1 John 2:22
[5] "Whoever is not with me is against me" - Luke 11:23
Altogether, they depict unbelievers as corrupt, vile, wicked, abominable, godless vessels of darkness in the service of evil, not one of which does any good, to be shunned, fit to be burned alive forever as enemies of a good god, and the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers. Isn't that reason enough to disrespect the religion that teaches people to think and say such things?
Try substituting Christian (or gay or black) for unbeliever in those scriptures and tell me if you consider that anti-Christian bigotry: The fool says there's a god, but such people are vile and corrupt, not one of which does good. Not one. How about you? Are you a good man? You're slandering an entire class of law-abiding people who are typically gainfully employed, raise families, and contribute to their communities with a lie which you have assimilated uncritically. Does a good man do that? Dopes a religion that teaches that deserve the unbeliever's respect or his contempt?
Sure it is. Somebody has just stricken your cheek. What are your options? You can hit him back. You can cover your face. You can walk away. You can try to negotiate a peace. Or, you can give him the other cheek to smite. Offering the other cheek is not a good choice.
Turning the other cheek is not self-defense.
And if one is trying to make some statement of tolerance or non-violence with this act, shouldn't he be offering the tender cheek? Turning the other cheek is not even as good as offering the same cheek, and both are at the bottom of any list except that of a pacifist, who would disagree with you that there is nothing wrong with self-defense and put striking back at the bottom.
Thank you for your reply.
Since we have Not seen anyone resurrected I could see why a person would Not believe.
I agree turning the other cheek is Not self defense. (self defense as protecting oneself from bodily harm )
A 'slap' on the face (Matt. 5:39; Romans 12:17; Luke 6:29; Proverbs 24:29) being more like an insult would Not require blow for blow. (Remember under the written Mosaic law it was equal justice for physical injury/harm )
The 'slap' was meant more to provoke a fight, Not settle one. Plus such a slap would Not produce bodily harm.
So, when possible a Christian would do what he could to live peaceably with another - Romans 12:17-21; 1st Peter 3:9
In other words, avoid a vicious cycle that of evil-for-evil mentality. Don't get involved in a showdown.
That could lead to taking the law into one's own hands instead of letting authorities settle matters if need be.
Jesus was Not a pacifist because he backs God's kingdom government - Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-15
But that does Not give his followers the right to strike offensively.

Seems that a lot of your verses mentioned had to do with people within the congregation, Not the world outside.
1st Corinthians chapter 5:11-13
Jesus taught love (Not hate) of neighbor at John 13:34-35; 15:12
In Jesus' New Command Jesus wants us to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as he has.
Not to view others as an enemy but view persons as you would view your spiritual brother.( brotherly love )
Back in the '60's high school one guy in our group was 'gay' and yes, I could see our group was shunned by some others.
But we had just as much fun at football games, etc. as anyone else. I never cared what others thought.
Also, once waitresses saw we'd leave a nice tip seems as if it was then 'ok' if one was gay.
So, if anyone would have protested back then I really don't know how that would have turned out.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So the church goes against the bible?
Jesus and his followers were politically neutral, but often the 'church' has used the pulpit as a recruiting station for the political so parents will sacrifice their sons on the Altar of War as if that is the same as the Altar of God and it isn't.

Marwan

*banned*
Then you are a non believer by your own definition. Except you are a believer, yes? So your assertion is illogical and false.

It’s also ironic.

The virtuous are humble so know to avoid such mistakes.
I'm not a believer, I've said that many times here.

I know.

My Absolute Knowledge of God's Absolute Existence is Absolutely above your disbelief ;)

I am right and the atheist is wrong.

I know that Absolutely, in Truth's name.